Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scrappy25

changing basement stairwell door to french doors?

scrappy25
12 years ago

I'd like to change my single 30 inch basement stairwell door (outswings into the kitchen) to two 15 inch non-glass outswing french doors so that there is less interference with the walkway in the kitchen. I am pretty sure that the current door is a hollow core masonite 6 panel door installed when the house was built in 1979, and that there are current 15 inch closet folding panel doors which could be modified into what I need. However, I was concerned about fire safety and building codes and though you all might know the answer to the following questions.

1. Does the door at the top of a basement stairwell need to be fire rated in a single family residence? Does the answer change if we decide to rent out a bedroom in the basement (unlikely and this question is not about that, but for inquiring minds, we do already have the proper egress in place.

2. If the fire rating is necessary does that prohibit the use of the double folding doors (that do not lock)

3. If the fire rating is necessary should we really have a solid core door at this location anyhow.

4. If we can't use the double doors I would consider converting the current door to a single outswing glass french door (so one could see if anyone was coming to avoid collision) , can this be within code?

thank you in advance!

Comments (7)