Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eldemila

What are these doors called and where can I find them

eldemila
14 years ago

Does anyone know what these types of doors are called. I looked under cafe, split and half doors and didn't find them. It's on the HGTV site but it's the one thing they don't list.

Thanks for any help!

Here is a link that might be useful: Doors

Comments (12)

• angies66
    14 years ago

I call them french doors. A pair of interior french doors, single light, obscured (or frosted) glass. You can get them prehung for many different widths of doorways.

• olychic
    14 years ago

Here is a thread about something similar.

Here is a link that might be useful: Narrow French Doors

• weedyacres
    14 years ago

They're the size of bifold doors. You might try googling that.

• brickton
    14 years ago

I think they are called bi-swing doors if you are thinking of saloon style doors that will swing either in or out. Building your own out of a bi-fold by separating the doors and adding bi-swing hinges wouldn't be too hard. Finding frosted glass single pane french doors at this size might be difficult. Traditional french doors are two full size doors that join in the center without a stile. These I think are more like bi-folds in that they are not individually large enough to be a door, both must open to allow passage. I would guess splitting a pair of bi-folds would be the easiest DIY.

• eldemila
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, I'm going to go and see if I can find anything among the suggestions.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for other types of doors that would possibly be good? I don't think we can put in a pocket door, and the doors need to swing out to the bedroom,not in to the bathroom, otherwise it will hit the toilet. I've thought about a sliding barn door but that won't work due to where the dresser will be, the same as pictured below.

What I'd really like to do is relocate the toilet and vanity, but I'm not sure it can be done due to the toilet possibly sticking out too far and being to close to the opening of the shower stall.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

It's a two-leaf door. You must open both to pass because it's so narrow.
    Casey

• laurmela
    14 years ago

Deb.

Here is a pic of what we did in our master.

There was no door seperating the bedroom from the bath area, just this large opening. Now we have a seperation and a small master bath suite!

It isn't hard to do, the hardware was from Johnson's Hardware and it is just a regular door a little larger than the opening. Put some decorative molding over the track and there you have it. The door runs behind our armoire, but you really don't notice that.

Here is a pic from the other side.

Good Luck,

Laura

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    14 years ago

Laura, that is a FABULOUS idea! I love it!

Debelli, we made a set of bi-swing doors from pine beadboard and bi-swing hinges from the hardware store for our tiny half-bath off our bedroom. The work great for a small space.

• monicakm_gw
    14 years ago

I don't recall the exact name of them. I think this is a 36" door. The average person can get thru with one side closed but ya gotta turn sideways :) This door is between the den and kitchen and dining room.
    Monica

• lagrant
    14 years ago

I just put the same type doors in my kitchen for the stairs coming up from the basement (so no one opens the door and clocks someone in the process). They are internal french doors - mine are called 5-lite (5 windows). They weren't stocked anywhere that I could get them off the shelf, but my contractor got them easily once I described them for $200-$250. If you are still struggling, I can try to find the manufacturer.

• eldemila
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Laura! I love what you did, had seen it but honestly, didn't like the rail and having to see it in the bedroom. I found on Johnsons website a homeowner did the same thing in the bathroom, but put the rail on the inside, so you'd see it from inside the bathroom - why I didn't think of it, DUH!

mabeldingeldine, very nice doors. LOL! We'd HAVE to open both sides, DH has a Homer Simpson belly!

lagrant, gorgeous kitchen!!!

I was going to stick with the pocket door, figured the bifold may not work well for the bathroom, but then when I saw the link below, I started to have second thoughts about the inside pocket door.

It's going to have to be between the 3 above options - anyone have any thoughts?

THANKS!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sliding Door

• advertguy2
    14 years ago

I would call them PITA doors...