Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Noise from neighbor, what can we do?

Posted by paintpanther (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 26, 11 at 19:09

It is not my neighbors fault i trully believe it is just this condo was not built to the standard.

Anyways, every morning i wake up to noises from our neighbors like opening the microwave door, pushing buttons on the microwave, putting the coffee cup in the microwave, just all kinds of noise of a normal household grrrrr.

We already have curtains but the window is not where the neighbor is. we do have wood floors and dont want rugs because my cats will destroy them anyways. We are looking into improving the insulation in the wall between the two units. What are these options? i have read about maxiboards, also those noise cancelling foam but still am not sure which is best/most economic approach.

any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Noise from neighbor, what can we do?

You may want to read this recent thread for starters...

Here is a link that might be useful: Soundproofing

o

(If you do go for rugs for some reason, I found cats don't like hooked rugs--they don't like getting snagged. Of course if they're barfing on it, never mind.)

o

Are your neighbours beside or above or below you?

I'm going to assume beside. When they build multi story buildings they often leave a pass way open between units so the trades don't waste time going out into the hall and such all day.

Often this pass through is not buttoned up properly, just drywalled over.

there are all kinds of sound attenuation products available. Some are great for a DIY, some really need a pro.

Easiest would be to cut open any vents or electrical penetrations in the wall and seal them up well, patch and then put another layer of sound deadening drywall over the whole wall. Paint.

Next would be to remove the drywall along the entire wall and use acoustic sealant, sound putty, sound deadening insulation, resisliant channels and sound deadening drywall.

You will never get it all unless it is designed in from the beginning but you can sure cut sound transfer back a lot with the products available.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here