Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lwiden_gw

RECIPE: Long, Involved, cooking

lwiden
15 years ago

This is really out of the ordinary - going on vacation and will have lots and lots of time to cook. Trying to find a website that is NOT "simple, easy, time saving recipes". Will be baking my own bread everyday, but also looking for more involved time consuming recipes for entrees. Its a shame there are only 2 of us - but this is my passion and I want to try new things. Any suggestions?

Comments (12)

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

This is one of my favorite recipes. It makes a lot but it's soooo good.

BOEUF BOURGUIGNONNE (serves 10-12)
    5 lbs chuck beef, cut into large cubes
    Flour
    1/4 cup olive oil
    Salt & pepper to taste
    1/4 cup cognac, warmed
    1/2 lb bacon, diced
    3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
    2 carrots, coarsely chopped
    2 leeks, coarsely chopped
    3 cups coarsely chopped onions
    2 TBL chopped parsley
    1 bay leaf
    1 tsp thyme
    1 bottle Burgundy (I've also used Bordeaux)
    5 TBL butter
    36 whole small onions
    Dash of sugar
    36 mushroom caps
    Juice of 1/2 lemon

Roll the beef cubes in flour & brown on all sides in a skillet over high heat in the olive oil.
    Sprinkle the meat with salt & pepper, pour the cognac over it & ignite. When the flame dies, transfer meat to a 3 qt casserole. Add a little water to the skillet & deglaze over high heat, scraping up the brown partickles clinging to the pan. Pour over the meat.

Preheat oven to 350°. To the skillet add the bacon, garlic, carrots, leeks, chopped onions & parsley. Cook, stirring, until the bacon is crisp & the vegetables are light brown. Transfer to the casserole with the meat & add the bay leaf, thyme, Burgundy & enough water to barely cover the meat. Cover & bake 1 1/2 hours.

Prepare a beurre manie by blending 1 TBL each butter & flour & stir into the casserole bit by bit. Return the casserole to the oven & continue cooking 2-3 hours longer.
    Brown the small onions in 2 TBL butter with a dash of sugar. Add a little water, cover & cook until the onions are almost tender.

Saute the mushrooms in 2 TBL of the butter until light brown on 1 side. Sprinkle with lemon juice & turn to brown the other side.
    To serve, add the onions to the casserole & garnish w/the mushrooms & additional chopped parsley.~~ (I serve over egg noodles.)~~Craig Claiborne

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

Try the Epicurious site. Not all are fast & simple & you might find something there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Epicurious

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

Another site you may like.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fine Dinings

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

Check out this one. Do you have one of Julia Child's cookbooks?

Here is a link that might be useful: Gourmet Chef Recipes

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

Again, not all are long or involved but you'll find some here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Finest Chef

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

Here's one. The site is free to join.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chef's Pencil

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

Here's huge bunch of Julia Child recipes. Try her Coq au Vin. I think it's on the second page.

Here is a link that might be useful: Julia Child

• lindac
    15 years ago

Not too many recipes here, but lots of inspiration and if you ask...the recipe will be posted.
    Sounds like a wonderful vacation to me! I love to cook on vacation!
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: fancy meals

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

The web site listed below for Diana's Desserts is terrific if you like to bake and enjoy sweets.

Some others I can reccomend:

The Pioneer Woman - www.thepioneerwoman.com

Joy of Baking - www.joyofbaking.com

Italian Food Forever - www.italianfoodforever.com

The Fresh Loaf - www.thefreshloaf.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Diana's Desserts

• jimtex
    15 years ago

Cut and pasted. I may make this instead of chili when the first cold front gets here it sounds so good. Thanks for the recipe Ginger.

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

It's a favorite for my annual Christmas party, Jim. Hope you like it.

• lakeron
    15 years ago

Since you'll be baking bread that may tie up the oven for raising, I'll suggest checking out Louisiana Cooking. Many meals were cooked on stove top. An example 'Red Beans and Rice' was traditionally cooked on Monday as that was 'wash day' and the beans were simmered and could be untended while the wife did the washing. Then they could cool so flavors could meld. Done with many dishes. Just making a roux takes half an hour and a Marchand de Vin sauce cooks for 45 minutes.
    A couple of links to give you an idea:
    http://www.nolacuisine.com/creole-cajun-recipe-page/
    http://gumbopages.com/recipe-page.html