SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marigene_gw

What's for Dinner #278

Marigene
15 years ago

Cleaned out the fridge, so you know we had leftovers! I baked a peach upside down cake with peaches from the farmers market.

Comments (51)

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

Watching the Olympics Opening Ceremony but boy Marigene did that picture catch my eye. That looks soooooo good!

We had grilled flank steak, fresh corn-on-the-cob, fresh garden salad and grilled Texas Toast.

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

okay..I don't need to eat my food..it pales in comparison tonight to those two pictures..

On tap here~
    My form of Salisbury Steak and roasted garlic Mashed taters...and some steamed broccoli...

• Related Discussions

patti skipped out for dinner: what's for dinner

Q

Comments (18)
    I'm back from dinner. It was great visiting with our snowbird friends and we talked for over two hours. We were neighbors when we both lived in the boonies and they moved back to Ohio shortly after we moved. We went on a cruise together with others from the neighborhood and had so much fun with them once. So now we e-mail and get together once a year :-( Dinner--not so good. I ordered the fettucini alfredo with bacon-wrapped sea scallops. The salad that came with it was very good,the scallops cooked just right but the alfredo was disappointing, to say the least. It was a big plate of angel hair pasta with a huge glob of alfredo sauce out of a jar. Ick, ick, ick! What could be easier than alfredo sauce? It's just a little butter, cream, garlic and lots of parmesan. They had little rolls that came with the salad that looked a little like those biscuits at Red Lobster, but were floury and dry. Now I remember why we don't like to eat out. Harry had fried oysters, baked sweet potato and hush puppies. He said on the way home it wasn't very good, but if it's dinner time I swear that man would eat plastic! Guess we won't be eating there again any time soon!
    ...See More

black and decker u-278 manual? info?

Q

Comments (3)
    You don't think you can just hammer it out? It sounds like that modle is very discontinued. My best bet be would be you can take it down to a shop and have one made
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner #375

Q

Comments (100)
    WalnutCreek, I'll have to try pork chops in the Air Fryer. I have one but the only thing I've liked so far that I made in it was "fried" chicken". Beet chips just fell into the bottom and charred, fish was dried out, potato chips were fiddly and half were crunchy but the rest were not. (sigh) After the beet chip fiasco I shoved it onto a pantry shelf and haven't touched it since, I'll have to drag it back out. Yesterday I took Mother some roasted chicken and twice baked potatoes, the chicken was brined 24 hours and high heat roasted ala AnnT. It was really good, extremely moist and even the breast meat wasn't dry. I also made a big batch of split pea soup, Mother loves it. I had to use yellow peas because I had those and the store didn't have any green split peas (or any other dried beans) in stock. sleevendog, your garden is growing well, and Elery would love an artichoke pizza. Neely, stay well, I'm glad your sons are delivering food, I stopped and did Mother's grocery shopping yesterday and dropped off groceries along with her prepared meals. Jasdip, I'm glad you're just "hunkering down" and there's no reason for quarantine! As for that leprechaun, we didn't catch him, but he dropped some of his treasure, a couple of strings of beans, a few of those "gold" colored dollar coins and some glittery hair clips. Maci insists that she heard "tiny little footsteps in the night" and nearly caught the leprechaun eating all the chocolate, LOL. Annie
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner #398 Nov 2021

Q

Comments (100)
    Mmm cheese sauce and gnocchi sounds good to me Walnut creek. Jasdip, your salad and drumstick followed by your caponata look delicious. I did look up the difference between caponata and ratatouille and it seems caponata has the addtion of olives perhaps capers... did you add these to yours? We had a few cool days and while I‘m not in a real cooking frame of mind at the moment... I did cook up Fish and six veg. I had some red sauce left over from the pizza so I made a sort of patatas brava with potatoes and sweet potatoes
    ...See More
  • bunnyman
    15 years ago

Deep fried an onion slice to go on my hamburger. Simple but now I'm craving more. Used a thinned out flour tortilla batter to dip the onion in and it made an excellent crunchy crust.

: )
    lyra

• magothyrivergirl
    15 years ago

lyra - we order a hamburger at a local restaurant that has a few deep fried onion slices- also mayo on bottom bun, burger, a little hot barbecue sauce topped w/ a slice of melted cheese, the fried onions rings, lettuce & tomato, top of bun. It is so delicious!! DH just found out what the spice taste was the hidden bit of hot barbecue sauce under the cheese. That in combination with the mayo & the fried onion like you made is over the top delicious.

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

County Fair today and working in the yard. Well here's my "fancy" dinner tonight! LOL! Grilled hotdogs, roasted potato wedges, carrots & celery.

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Marigene and Dixie....great looking food! I would love a piece of that peach upside down cake. It looks so luscious!

I'm still packing and organizing my house to get ready for going away. Eating up leftovers and poofing as much as I can.
    Over the last days we were at the Austrian restaurant where Wolf had a cabbage roll and I still had a craving for shrimp so had a cool shrimp cocktail, followed by some apple strudel with ice cream. The Friday opening ceremony of the Olympics took place here at 1 pm....lunch time so I prepared a baked salmon and roasted vegetables before going to Pilates class and left there a little early so I could just pop the two trays into my toaster oven. Didn't take foodie pics as we were glued to the TV.

Yesterday was my birthday so we decided to go again to the Austrian restaurant because the owner whom we've known for over 25 years also had her birthday yesterday. First time I've met someone who shared my day, so we had a nice meal there with some complementary dessert. Wolf had suelze (jellied pork) with bratkartoffeln and I had a pepper steak. As it was so warm we opened a bottle of chilled white Viña Sol. But Wolf had insisted that I pick out some cakes from the German bakery that morning so we had them later in the evening while we watched the swimming competitions. I picked out a couple of pretty blouses and a new garden chaise lounge as gifts. (As you get older, you get to pick out your own presents as DH runs out of ideas lol!) Talked by phone with most family members in Canada...it was lovely!

We'll be going out again in a few days to a nearby Catalan restaurant when we celebrate our wedding anniversary.

Am playing with watermarks. I see the copyright threads are warming up LOL!....

SharonCb

• arabellamiller
    15 years ago

Hey - Happy Birthday Sharon! How'd we miss that!?!

Amazing looking food as always.

We had our outdoor movie night on Friday, one family came early for take out pizza. I made a grilled veggie salad to go with the pizza. The rest of the families came afterdinner. Thankfully a wicked storm passed us by, so although the grass was wet, we stayed dry for the movie. We had rum punch, beer & wine, juice and water, and all the movie fare you can imagine - Twizzlers, popcorn, jujus, gummies, chips, fruit and I can't remember what else!

Last night we ate the leftover pizza for dinner.

AM
    The Dinner Chronicles

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Oops....sorry I forgot to answer your question Ann about my son-in-law's restaurant. No he's not in Sidney but rather in Calgary where he has a small restaurant as well as a wedding and business banquet catering service. He's my younger daughter's husband. She doesn't work in the business because for years she's had a good position with seniority in a downtown Calgary office where she translates and handles the Spanish marketing end of the business.

SharonCb

• wizardnm
    15 years ago

Marigene, is there any of the peach upside down cake left? Sure would like a piece.

Sharon, I didn't catch when you are leaving for Canada, hope you have a safe and wonderful trip. Happy Anniversary too!

My DM is here and doing fine. I'm getting things organized for her to return to her apartment next week.
    Meanwhile, I've been cooking some things she likes. I've remembered to take a few pic's.

A quick saute of cut up fillet, fresh homegrown tomatoes, sweet onion, basil, parsley with pasta and local sweet corn.

High heat roasted chicken, fried sweet corn, mashed potatoes and fresh green beans. Mom loved it.

Stargazer Lilies growing in a sea of hibiscus that is getting ready to bloom

Baked Potato Soup

Roast Pork dinner with a roasted apple/onion relish (I didn't make the relish but am going to try to figure it out)....and fresh tomato salad.

We had quiche one night and yesterday I made a breakfast strata. And there's been a blueberry dessert and a peach pudding. We grilled burgers out one night also... I need to get some navy beans soaking for a pot of bean soup (another request) but I'm not sure that's going to happen tonight.

Nancy

• lyndaluu2
    15 years ago

I was digging around in the chest freezer in the garage and found some lamb chops..so made the following...
    Lamb chops with grainy mustard and crusted with herbs (rosemary, thyme & chives), garlic, bread crumbs & parm cheese. The sauce was more thyme & rosemary reduced in port and orange juice. Along with them we had sweet potato fries, herbed noodles and tomatoes (romas) from the garden...

{{gwi:1556082}}

• Marigene
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dixie, Howard had a couple of cheese dogs with the works the other day, said he had been craving them for about a week!

Terri, I love Salisbury steak, one of my all-time faves.

Lyra and Mag, burgers are one of our favorites in the summer. Will have them sometime this week, I am sure!

Sharon, your birthday desserts with the candles are wonderful!

Nancy, no peach cake left, but wish there was! That roast pork dinner is making me drool...so is the caprese salad. I can smell the stargazers from here! Mine blossomed about a month ago and they were quite stunted, like the day lilies. I don't know what happened this year.

Lynda, your lamb chops look really tasty.

Dinner last night was grilled tenderloins, smashed/roasted potatoes and a roasted beets with chevre and a reduction of balsamic.

Earlier in the day I baked a couple loaves of white bread.

• arabellamiller
    15 years ago

Marigene - that bread is picture perfect!

We've been scavenging this week as the kids are in a hockey camp every day from 4 - 7pm. We usually go right from the beach or pool, so I give them some sandwiches or light pasta before and more of the same afterwards. They have water and a candy bar/power bar when they take a break.

AM

• ann_t
    15 years ago

OOOH lots of wonderful looking meals. Nancy, I would love a bowl of your potato soup and Marigene's beef tenderloin and potatoes and Terri's Salisbury steak and Sharon's birthday cakes. Oh heck I'd like some of everything.

I've been cooking but not bothering to take photos.

Starting with last Thursday, we had dinner in Victoria with Matthew. Went to a Chinese restaurant that he likes. Dinner was very good.

Friday night Matt and one of his girl friends came for dinner. I made chicken piccata with a side of Pasta Aglio E Olio.

They stayed the night and then Saturday we all went to Steve and Jason's wedding in Ladysmith. Matt was in the wedding party. The wedding was held at Steve's parents home. Beautiful home right on the ocean. Couldn't have been lovelier. It started to rain just before the ceremony and then immediately after, the sun came out and a rainbow appeared. Dinner was catered by an Indian Restaurant. Food was outstanding.

Sunday, I put my back out at work. So I didn't cook. Moe picked up Halibut and chips for dinner.

My physiotherapist was able to fit me in yesterday and it felt a little better yesterday, but not so good today. Been icing and applying heat.

Matt stopped by again for dinner last night. Made one of his favourite dinners, Chicken Souvlaki with Greek Salad and rice.

No idea what dinner will be tonight. I have to take Abby in for her haircut so I'll pick something up to make for dinner then.

Ann

• bri29
    15 years ago

Lovely meals everyone! I am continually amazed at how well people in this forum are able to put together fabulous looking (and tasting) meals night after night!

I've been cooking and baking up a storm, but was too distracted to think to take pictures! We had a bbq on Saturday, so I was up late Friday night making snickery squares (from Dorie Greenspan's Baking...) and strawberry shortcakes. I even made my own dulce de leche for the snickery squares, which took five hours on the stovetop. Talk about a long process, but the results were worth it.

Then Saturday I smoked a salmon fillet, made hamburgers, made a tomato and basil pesto pizza and brought it all together with veggies, salads, snacks, mojitos, sangria and a tray of fruit. I was running around like a crazy person, so no pictures. I'll definitely be making the salmon again, so I'll take pictures then!

Sunday was leftovers from the bbq and a lot of napping. :)

Last night we had spinach and mozzarella ravioli with panko crusted shrimp. I'm still trying to figure out what to make for dinner tonight, I'll probably just figure something out from the freezer.

Bri

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

Everything does look good. I made Steak Fajitas on Sunday with the leftover Flank Steak (all the fixings to go along with it). Had homemade salsa & chips and Fajita beans to go along side. Very good.

Last night I made Grilled Chicken Teriyaki Sandwiches with pineapple slices & swiss cheese. French fries and sliced tomatoes to go along side. Also, very good.

Tonight is crab imperial (a recipe that I have been using for several years that we love) with steamed broccoli and rice pilaf.

I made some good Candy Bar Brownies that we have been having for dessert.

• Solsthumper
    15 years ago

I'll have a taste of everything up there as well.

Sharon, I'm sorry I missed your birthday; I got back from vacation a few days ago to find my computer dead. I've had it six years and it crashed, but unlike my last computer, this one went downhill quickly and quietly. I'm now using a new pc, and I love it, but I'm trying to adjust to all the new dohickeys.
    Anyway, I know you must've had a wonderful birthday - how could you not, living in paradise. I also know you must be enjoying all the birthday presents you picked out [G]
    I've been buying most of my own presents for years. No one can shop for me like I can.

Terri, don't be so humble, your dinner sounds damned good to me.

Ann, sorry to hear about your back. I trust you'll take it easy for the next few days, at least until your back feels better, and you're able to get in your kitchen and show it who's boss.
    Hey, I also made Chicken Souvlaki -although not last night- the picture is one I took before I went on vacation.

Our meals lately have been Chicken Souvlaki with Zucchini Fritters and Roasted Beets with Skordalia. The latter being my latest favorite. Jim hates it, but Sam and I love it. Good enough reason enough to make it again, I'd say, right?
    Also had Walleye with Lemon Basil Butter over Zucchini Carpaccio. Sides were Savory Quinoa (recipe adapted from the back of the box) with Almonds in Radicchio Cups.

Not a lot of baking going on lately, except for Zucchini Muffins for Sam and Thumper. That said, I just took a tart out of the oven. I'll post it later this week.

Right now, I'm off (oh, behave) to do a little grocery shopping, the fridge is looking mighty lonely.

Sol

• annie1992
    15 years ago

LOL, Sol, I'm always a little "off". And I'd gladly eat Jim's share of those beets, I love them in nearly any form.

Ann, take it easy with that back injury, those can cause some real problems, and long lasting ones too. I'm glad you enjoyed your time with Matthew and the wedding sounds beautiful.

Beets must be on a lot of menus, I love them, so I'll have to have some soon. I did pickle six pints, but I need some roasted. Marigene's bread looks good but those beets....yum.

Nancy, I'm glad to hear your Mom is doing so well. Of course, I knew you'd take good care of her!

SharonCB, that apple strudel looks like my idea of a birthday cake. As for gifts, how old do you have to be before you get to pick out your own, I think that's a great idea!

Elery is here for the rest of the week, although I have to work because we're still short staffed. So, last night we had leftover vegetable soup and some hummus with chips. For lunch I had a fresh tomato omelette with homemade honey wheat bread. Tonight we're going to Amanda's and Elery's cooking right now, I'm not sure what. I'll try to remember to take pictures.

• bunnyman
    15 years ago

Fried ham on buttered toast with extra cheese yesterday. Spinach salad and tomato soup to make it feel like a real meal. Reading Trojan Women as my dinner read. Back to work but eating alone because of work demands. We make a transmission part for a hot selling small car and are having trouble making them fast enough.

Deep fried chicken today. More salad and some junk food probably.

Hope you feel better soon Ann!

: )
    lyra

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

My quick version of Tropical Fruit Pork Chops. Steamed white rice along side.

I miss everyone posting here along with the pictures, but I understand.:)

• Marigene
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dixie, your dinner looks fabulous!

I am sick of the summer heat; so hoping to bring some cooler weather I braised a couple small round steaks and had them with some "winter" vegetables.

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Beautiful food and beautiful photos everyone. Sol I miss your pics when you don't post here for a long while. And thank you for the birthday wish and your cute bear-in-the-tree. Truth is that my brother does have them visiting his rubbish bin regularly so you won't catch me sleeping in the tent when I'm there!

Ann I hope your back is on the mend. A sore back sure makes you feel like not doing much other than lying down, I know.
    Miss your photos as well.

I'm nearing panic mode now before travelling as we have to renew some documents before I go away and also have my obligatory car technical test as well as pay the insurance. It all seems to come at once. Want to get a new hairdo too. Luckily the guest bedroom is now cleared of my stuff and it's nearly ready for our German friend who arrives on Sunday for a long holiday. So meals here have been haphazard with fresh pasta a couple of times (from supermarket) with Italian brand jarred sauces. Another day out I was so hungry I ordered 1/2 a BBQ chicken with a pile of chips....while Wolf had tortellini a la Gorgonzola. Poor man....he got tortellini again yesterday here at home!
    Never complains.....he's so sweet and easygoing.

There was a strange cloud line the other day as we sat eating at an outdoor restaurant. The clouds must have been pushed into a line by a high pressure front because it became very hot. Today we had some much needed rain.

I love the shape and colour of those tile roofs.

I posted some photos of the downtown cafes and plaza over in The Gallery if anyone would like to peek over there.

SharonCb

• centralcacyclist
    15 years ago

Alice is very fond of a salad called "Neil's Toss" from a local downtown restaurant - Harvest Moon. I recreated it rather than drive down there and pay 18 bucks for theirs. It's not a perfect replica so I need to examine it more closely but it's close and darn tasty:

Greens (I like a spring mix but Alice prefers Romaine)
    Grilled chicken breast, sliced
    Tomatoes
    Avocado
    Crumbled bacon
    Blue cheese or Gorgonzola crumbles
    Green olives, sliced
    Croutons
    Creamy garlic dressing (I used bottled but I need to find a recipe.)

Dessert was a wonderfully sweet watermelon. Alice prides herself on her watermelon picking knack.

Later she made the chocolate granola marshmallow goodies I mentioned on another thread. The kitchen is still a disaster!

There are some gorgeous meals here!

Eileen

• Solsthumper
    15 years ago

Nancy, I'm sorry I missed your post. I'm glad your mom is doing well. And being under your care I'm sure she's also being spoiled with your wonderful food.

Eileen, I know Sam will love Alice's favorite salad. Or rather, I'll make it and maybe share it with my girl. Thanks!

Sharon, lovely pictures. I still want to move in with you. Even the sky in your part of the world seems bluer. I hope you'll have a safe and very enjoyable viaje.

AB my friend, I think you'd have to wrestle Jim to the ground for the roasted beets. And it wouldn't be pretty. But I was referring to the greek dip, Skordalia. It's loaded with garlic and lemon juice, and while he's okay with garlicky dips, it's the lemon he hates. But I ain't giving up on him yet. Although, I think we should get him walking first. Hah.

Well, yesterday I screwed up the photos' descriptions. The seafood above is Red Snapper, NOT Walleye. Here's the Walleye with Lemon Basil Butter Sauce over Zucchini Carpaccio.

And the Tomato Tart I talked about yesterday, but didn't have time to post a picture of. The recipe's been posted here to death, but if any of the new folks don't have the recipe, I'll post it again - btw, it's also on my blog.

I have a lot of herbs, and since you all know that I love playing with my food, I had this crazy idea of adding a sage dragonfly with chive antennae to my lowly tomato tart.

Last night I made two pizzas, a carnivore pizza for the boys and Margharita pizza for us girls. We ate really late, so I couldn't get motivated to take pictures.
    Today the weather seems ideal for baking bread. I'm going to make Butter Bread and figure out dinner later.

Sol

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Oh Eileen that's one of my favourite salad combinations which they make very well here at a neighbourhood French restaurant.
    They use chopped Romaine, grated carrot, thinly sliced cucumber and tomatoes, spicy diced chicken breast pieces, two halves of avocado, each one filled with a scoop of Roquefort cheese and white toast points fried in butter,(!) all sprinkled with a light, creamy dressing. That's one of my favourite warm weather meals which I've also recreated here at home.
    I forget if they add olives to it too, but I always use them myself.

Tell Alice I agree with her choice!

Sol I just refreshed the screen before posting the above. What a great looking tomato tart and I love the dragonfly! I wish I had time and space to do some real baking, but maybe in the autumn. I'm going off for my siesta now. We went out for an anniversary lunch today to a special little restaurant which has newly changed hands and is exquisite.
    Will post dinner pics later.....must go horizontal for an hour or so now....zzzzz.

SharonCb

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

the sage butterfly on the tomato tart is NOW my desk top..
    Sol, you always have such fun with your food!

Well Tuesday night I made a dandy beef broccoli..It got rave reviews by almost all..
    Lastnight was patty melts, quick easy and satisfying for the men folk..
    I have some "marinating" pork chops in Penzeys' Sandwich Sprinkle, little extra sea salt and black pepper for dinner tonight..It's hot as heck here today, so I'm not sure how I'll prepare it. I'd rather just grill them..that's how I like it..but the husband likes smothered over rice...
    Oh wait, I'm the cook and clean up crew..I'll do as I please...Yeah, I think grilled will be the theme tonight..Maybe some grilled potato boats too...

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Sounds like a good dinner Terri!

Is nobody else having dinner these days? Again our WFD had fallen over to page 2. I bet it's too hot to be cooking much.
    I know it has been here but we've had a bit of rain and welcome cool air the past days.

Thursday was our wedding anniversary so we decided to go to a place nearby that is under new ownership and has an interesting menu posted outside their door. Another one of these little restaurants that has an inner dining area (non-smoking) and an outer patio awning covered area for smokers. I hate dining with smoke in the air but as no one was there yet we sat out in the brighter covered patio area.

We were attended by a pleasant Spanish lady and a German man. Wolf chose duck confit with roasted vegetables and I decided on a lemon chicken dish. They were both delicious and much to our liking, served in quantities that were not overly large. Dessert was very special.....two different types of chocolate mousse. Wolf is a chocolate mousse specialist :-) and said it was one of the best he'd tasted in a long while. His was the frosted white one and mine was the one with the small fruits on top.
    We'll definitely go back there again for special meals!

Happy Weekend everyone!

SharonCb

• wizardnm
    15 years ago

Sharon, those desserts look wonderful. I've been cooking this week, just haven't had time to take pictures and post them. I do want to mention that I made a double batch of Aunt Doe's Shortbread.....my DM loved it.

I've been making DM's favorites. Last night was meatloaf wit fresh corn, green beans and baked potatoes. Earlier this week I made a big pot of 11-Bean Soup. Tonight we are having fresh lake perch.
    I'm taking Mom home tomorrow, back up here on Tues., I think my kitchen may be closed for a few days. :))

Nancy

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Nancy your meatloaf dinner sounds just perfect! I love green beans with meatloaf and sure wish we could get fresh good corn here. My Aunty Doe would be so pleased if she knew her shortbread recipe had spread out so far. It was always a hit in our family at Christmas.
    Best wishes for your mom. Hope she'll be happy to settle back in her own home but I'm sure she'll miss your cooking.

After I said goodbye for a while to my Pilates classmates on Friday, I came home and made a chili con carne. I didn't have much time to make anything more complicated. It was quick and easy because I used a Maggi chili seasoning packet which brings it to just the right amount of spice and heat for our taste.

Yesterday I had a four hour hair appointment....I haven't been to a hairdresser for years....been doing it myself but thought it was time for a professional hand. We're lucky to have a very experienced German man with a salon in our neighbourhood. He used to work in USA and is well established here with local residents. I got a bob cut and perm. Feels great! So we went out to lunch yesterday.
    Here's the chili....we'll be having the rest of it today, before our German house guest arrives this afternoon.
    Weather is a bit cool, overcast and windy. Good for drying the clothes.

Happy Sunday!

SharonCb

• ann_t
    15 years ago

Sol, your tomato tart is a thing of beauty. Why aren't you making a living as a food photographer?

Sharon, gorgeous desserts. I hope you patronize that restaurant more often. Can't wait to see what they have on their menu. Happy belated anniversary. Moe and I will be celebrating our 29th next week.

Dinner Wednesday night was Pot Roast with all the sides, Thursday night was Bow tie pasta with sausage and greens. Swiss Chard out of our garden.

Friday night I wasn't hungry after having a late lunch so I didn't cook. Moe was happy with toasted tomato sandwiches.

Saturday night we had a feast. King Crab Legs, Potato salad and green beans from our garden. Our neighbour Clif bought 5 pounds of King Crab legs for me to cook. I made the potato salad seasoned with Hellmans, sour cream, garlic, fresh dill and chives as soon as I got home from work. Steamed the green beans and the crab legs and then we ate on his deck. Accompanied by a cold dry white wine. Lovely, hot summer evening.

Last night it was baby back ribs on the grill with onion rings. I was out of buttermilk so I just mixed up my favourite batter, seasoned flour and club soda.

• ann_t
    15 years ago

Picked up some fresh halibut for dinner tonight. Served with lemon and brown butter, roasted potatoes and beans from our garden.

• centralcacyclist
    15 years ago

Those desserts are really stunning, Sharon. Ann, your meals make me salivate as usual. Those ribs look so good.

I haven't cooked in the past few days. Alice has been in and out and making snacks as she breezes through. Tonight I had the pleasure of my son at home for dinner. He invited a friend and so did Alice. I had some New York strips marinating for fajitas so I cooked that and picked up beans and rice from a nearby Mexican diner and some tortillas. I served it all with home canned salsa, a variation on Annie's salsa and grated cheese. Great teen kid fare. It was all a bit impromptu but quite fun.

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Ann, the ribs and onion rings, would love some of that!

Sharon, those desserts look so good! Bad to look out when hungry!!!

Sol, I love your tomato tart with butterfly, such a clever gal! What kind of crust did you use??
    I love the raddicio cups used in presentation too! So colorful!

Marigene, how I would love to be your neighbor! All that delicious bread you bake smeared with your wonderful jam,,,heaven!

Nancy, glad you are feeding mom like a queen...The baked potato soup looks so good. It is getting near the time I buy my 50 lbs of Chefs and do a lot of soups...Share your recipe? Or are you like me, little of this, some of that?

I made a fresh peach tart Sun, but forgot to take a pic and it's history now..

Catching up..
    One night I made shrimp and crab cakes, baked clams, homemade cole slaw, and shrimp on a stick.....

Another, grilled marinated pork loin with apple compote with apricot brandy , roasted potatoes, little corn muffins...

Lots of salad nights while the produce is local..

Chicken cutlets, oven fries and corn..

Shrimp with angel hair..

And lots of easy summer dinners at the beach...summer ends so quickly...

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    15 years ago

drive-by posting

I really really haven't been cooking at all. sliced tomatoes, corn, summer stuff! Or going out. He's grilled burgers, steaks, and the other night brats. But I stopped by to say Linda's (doucanoe) beer cheese soup is the bomb. I made it to go with the brats. First time I've ever made any beer cheese soup. It was fantastic! You made me look like a pro, lady. Awesome with brats, by the way.

• Marigene
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sol, cute dragonfly on your lovely tomato tart.

Beautiful desseerts for your birthday, Sharon. Hope they tasted as good as they look. You have the best looking food!

Ann, I would love a big bite of that halibut!

Kathleen, you sure have been eating well lately! I would love to have your seafood platter....the baked clams look delicious. Oh, and the chicken cutlets, too! Love all of your place settings. Wish you lived closer so I could share the bread and jams with you.

We have had BLT's, tuna salad, marinated shrimp/whole wheat pasta and last night was a pork tenderloin rubbed with spices and garden fresh vegetables. I made a chocolate Swiss roll for dessert but it cracked so didn't take a picture; not pretty but tasted really good.

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Ann, Kathleen, Marigene...such wonderful looking food and photos. Can't wait to try some of that B.C. halibut Ann!

I'm getting down to the wire with things to do but kept today free with just a few loose ends to tie up so I could bake a large salon fillet in that nice teriyaki-type sauce of Marilyn's along with some roasted veggies, and we could have a home-cooked dinner with our house guest out on the patio before I leave on Friday. Found some lovely mixed tender tips salad greens and am trying to use up the rest of the salad ingredients and tidy the fridge..

Tomorrow I have to take a bus ride to the main city for renewing some documents. It will be a long hot day so I don't yet know what will happen for our mid day dinner. I might have to grab a snack there, or ask the two fellas to hold out until I get back and we can go out again somewhere.

SharonCb

• mamalou
    15 years ago

I hate to ask, but Sol, would you please post the recipe for the Tomato Tart. I cannot find it...and I have a huge bowl of fresh tomatoes on my table looking for a home.

Thanks so much!

• Marigene
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sharon, that salmon, roasted vegetables and salad are making me wish I had your dinner, once again!

Nothing special last night, just a salad topped with shrimp as we had a large lunch.

• Solsthumper
    15 years ago

Thanks Ann. It's always good to have friends who have more confidence in me than I have in myself. Wish you lived next door to me.

Good and refreshing-looking salads up there. Salads have played a big part in our summer meals lately. Although for the kids I made something I hadn't made since I was a teenager ... 3-5 years ago ... Ziti.
    Another dinner lately was Ahi Tuna and Toasted Israeli Couscous with Wild Mushrooms.

Ann, I'll take your fresh Halibut (we only get frozen halibut here), and some of Kathleen's Crab Cakes, with a side of Kathleen's magnificient view. Finish it all off with one (oh, what the heck), both of Sharon's desserts.
    Sharon, we have a lot of restaurants around here, but few that would ever serve such beautiful desserts.

Mama, you'll find the recipe for the Tomato Tart here.

Today I'll be rearranging my entire basement. I've been procrastinating this chore for years, so I'm going in. No, don't try talk me out of it ;-Ã I won't be coming up for air until I'm done. Carajo.

Sol

• bunnyman
    15 years ago

Last night was a hamburger steak soaking in basalmic vinegar and salad. It was a horrible stressful day at work and I just didn't have the energy to do much. One of my best workers flunked a drug test and is expected to be fired today. Older guy, friendly to everyone, always there early... at first I laughed at the thought of drug testing him.

: (
    lyra

• mamalou
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for re-posting the tart recipe. I am printing it out and will give it a try this weekend. I am sure that mine won't be a beautiful as yours, but I am sure it will taste wonderful!

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

Oh way too much for me to catch up on since I have been here last. Life has been hectic the last week but all the pictures of the food look so good.

Since posting last I believe we have had grilled hamburgers, grilled trout, grilled steaks, leftover steak overtop of bibb lettuce and vegetables w/dressing, steamed spiced shrimp and plenty of fresh veges. & bread.

I hope I can get back to posting pictures soon because I enjoy it. You all have really sparked me to make a dish look as good as possible.

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Great food, flowers and photos Sol and Marigene!

I'll be heading off on holidays tomorrow morning and although I have some nice pictures of today's lunch downtown in the main plaza, I'll just post this one to show what a colourful setting it was when our house guest, Wolf and I had a lunch there, as we had errands to do downtown.

I had a club sandwich and white wine, our friend had spaghetti bolognese and Wolf had a ham omelette. Weather is very humid.

And so I say goodbye for now and hope to meet everyone again in a couple of days from my grandson's computer on Vancouver Island .....(that's if he lets me!) ;-)

¡ Hasta la vista amigos/amigas!

SharonCb

• stacy3
    15 years ago

gorgeous tart Sol, and I love your casserole dish.

Sharon, have a wonderful trip!

dixiedog, great pics! Your hot dogs look amazing. really!

We have been crazy and I haven't taken too many pictures of food - but last night, I did. We had a summer supper with corn on the cob, assorted small tomatoes, fresh cucumbers, and zucchini fritters with sour cream.

Everything was so good. I got the zucchini recipe from Simply REcipes.

• wizardnm
    15 years ago

Sharon, I hope you have a fun, safe wonderful trip. I know how much you enjoy catching up with the family.

Stacy, I feel like I can almost taste the tomatoes and thanks for the reminder about zucchini fritters. Along with zucchini bread that's the only way I've found that I can make myself eat zucchini.

Last night we had BBQ chicken thighs, sweet corn and FF's. The night before was BLT's.
    Mom's back at her home now and I'm takin' it easy on the cooking for a bit. That is after I freeze the sweet corn and do something with 20 lbs of blueberries I bought at the farmers mkt yesterday...

Nancy

• ann_t
    15 years ago

Marigene, you even make salads look beautiful.

Sol, I covet that casserole dish. Love the colour and the shape.

Stacy, missed your pictures and dinners. Glad you are back. I'd be happy with that plate of zucchini fritters. Those look soooo good. My tomatoes are starting to ripen now too. We have had lots of cherry tomatoes.

Earlier this week Moe promised our neighbour Clif a pizza for Friday night. So that is what we had. Made Pepperoni, Mushroom and Green pepper for the first one. And just Pepperoni and mushroom for the second one. Beautiful evening sitting on the deck eating pizza and drinking red wine.

• arabellamiller
    15 years ago

Stacy, those fritters look amazing! Yum.

Everything looks great. Nice pizza Ann, the crust looks perfect.

I'm thinking a casserole tonight since there's a chill in the air. Last night the kids and I just grazed since we had a late lunch.

AM
    The Dinner Chronicles

• ann_t
    15 years ago

I haven't been doing much cooking or eating the last couple of days. I have had a major toothache since Saturday. Went to the dentist yesterday and it looks like it is going to be complicated. She sent the x-rays to a specialist in Victoria and I hope to hear back from him today.

Sunday night I made a roast pork dinner. I only ate the mashed potatoes and gravy. Moe had everything else including fresh beans and little white turnips from our garden.

Yesterday was our 29th Wedding Anniversary. Celebration dinner is on hold until the toothache goes away. Poor Moe had scrambled eggs for dinner. LOL!

Not sure what will be on the menu tonight.

Ann

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Ann, there hasn't been much cooking and eating going on here either, but I had to check in and tell you Happy Anniversary. I hope the tooth problem gets resolved quickly, easily, painlessly and that you can have a great dinner.

Annie

• centralcacyclist
    15 years ago

Annie, it's nice to see you pop in. I know you must have your hands and heart full these days.

Ann that meal looks amazing, I'm so sorry you couldn't have much of it.

Stacy, those fritters look so good! I can't resist any kind of fritter.

Not much cooking going on here. Alice started school and I've been busy with work. Meals have been hit and miss. Today I made a pot of chicken and rice soup and will make a loaf of bread in the the breadmaker and some peach butter quick bread for dessert. Yeah, yeah, lotta carbs!

• compumom
    15 years ago

Ann- I hope that your dental problems are soon resolved, but please accept my belated wishes for a many more happy anniversaries!
    Annie- so nice to see you pop in. Hugs to you, I know it's not easy.
    Dinner, well not much in the last few days at home. I'm on an economy kick to do a Costco run, supplement a bit & use up what we have. Sat night was some butternut squash soup from the freezer. Sunday brunch was a surprise party at a restaurant for my father's 85th, so dinner was a tuna melt for DH and I had some tuna salad. Last night we ate at a little Italian restaurant that didn't quite do a great job on our chicken dishes. Tonight is left over cauliflower, I'm not sure what meat or fish (scallops from Costco?) can be easily defrosted and a peach/blueberry dessert.
    Tomorrow night we have a business dinner at an excellent seafood restaurant and my slacks just aren't as loose as they were a few weeks ago...So, I'd better watch it!

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz