Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dave_donhoff

Does Fannie Mae Own Your Mortgage?

dave_donhoff
15 years ago

Your mortgage servicer  the company that sends your mortgage statement  should be able to tell you if your mortgage is owned by Fannie Mae. However, if you need further confirmation, please contact Fannie Mae at 1-800-7FANNIE (8AM - 8PM Eastern) or complete our online request form below.

Cheers,

Dave Donhoff

Leverage Planner

Here is a link that might be useful: Does Fannie Mae Own Your Mortgage?

Comments (8)

• lyfia
    15 years ago

I've been so out of the loop lately, so this may sound dumb, but is there a reason I need to know whether they do or not?

• dave_donhoff
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Lyfia,

You might qualify for the Obama-plan bailouts;
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/realestate/msg0314583220481.html?3

Dave Donhoff
    Leverage Planner

Here is a link that might be useful: Homeowner Affordability Modification Plan

• lyfia
    15 years ago

I doubt we qualify for anything under the Obama plan except higher taxes.

• classicalone
    15 years ago

Dave - I came here today to ask that very question - how to find out if a mortgage is owned by Fannie Mae. It's actually for my sister that I want to find out.

Another question that hopefully you know - or can tell me where to look - Will the bailout help if you're already behind on your payments? What about if you're behind now, but get caught up?

Thanks,
    Alice

• dave_donhoff
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Alice,

Will the bailout help if you're already behind on your payments? What about if you're behind now, but get caught up?

The answer is YES*

(* there are two aspects to the Obama bailout...one is refinancing, which may NOT be available even if you've got some lates or defaults but are not in foreclosure. The otehr is an outright loan modification which IS available if you've been late, behind, or are in default (as long as you have some stable employment to make the newly modified paymetns.))

MUCH of the actual details are STILL uncertain yet... and if you (or your sis) try calling your loan servicer, most folks are getting endless phone-holds and/or "answer unknown" responses still.

As we all figure it out (and the govie & their minions in Fannie, Freddie & GinnieMae) figure it all out... you'll doubtlessly have a chance to take advantage of it.

Cheers,
    Dave Donhoff
    Leverage Planner

• eric_92037
    15 years ago

Also if you have or plan to get a credit report from TransUnion, the mortgage type may be listed. Why TransUnion would have to show or need to know my mortgage was a fannie mae is beyond me but it was there.

• bethesdamadman
    15 years ago

lyfia: "I doubt we qualify for anything under the Obama plan except higher taxes."

In that case, congratulations on having an annual household income of over a quarter of a million dollars!

• twit
    15 years ago

Not sure that congratulations are in order quite yet for Lyfia as she may be referring to the chances of anyone escaping higher taxes irregardless of their annual household income. At some point it will be time to "pay the piper" and I don't think that the minority consisting of those making over 250k a year will be able to foot the bill for all of this. Just doesn't seem that the math is adding up at this point. But hopefully, I'm wrong as we aren't in that minority, but would love to think we might reach it at some point. Not sure how I feel about being punished if we do. But that is another subject entirely.