Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

Wonky Novelty Crumbs - unfinished

As noted, this is not finished. I laid out the sashing and cornerstones with the blocks as I don't think I'll get back to it until after Thanksgiving and not even sure about that. But, I needed a picture to see where I like the blocks so I can refer to it. Good thing I took pictures as there were 3 facing the wrong direction I didn't notice. Took care of it and this is the result.

SharonG/FL

Comments (14)

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Very cool, Sharon! That light gray-blue sashing really sets off the blocks nicely.

I just finished "deep cleaning" the house to get out the construction dust now that they finished our bathroom. Once I have a nice soak in the new whirlpool tub I'm hoping to get some sewing in this weekend!

Donna

• nannykins
    12 years ago

Neat!
    Looks like something I could do to get rid of that pile of scraps staring at me.
    Just a question! Do you sew your crumbs to a backing? then cut into what size square? And your total block is how big???

• nannykins
    12 years ago

I guess that is three questions!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry, I should have explained the process I used. Gwen is the instigator of all the crumb blocks that I have made but this is the first time I've made them using just novelty fabric and it really is a great way to use the 'leftover' novelty scraps. I don't use a foundation but just start sewing. I usually make crumbs at 6 1/2" but somehow these ended up being 7 1/2". The 'wonky/tilted' fabric is 2 1/2" x 10 1/2" and sliced from corner to corner. I used muslin so I wouldn't have to think about wrong side/right side when slicing as you do have to be careful about making sure they are put on correctly. So, after being 'wonkied' and trimmed, they ended up being 9 1/2". I used 2" strips to frame the blocks which brought them to 12 1/2"...but any width could be used.

This link shows the technique I used to sew on the muslin, but I didn't have that long tail. If the strip had been longer, I suppose it would be there, but, to me, it's a waste as I just wanted a gentle wonk. lol If you have any questions, just ask.....

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: tilting the block

• polardream
    12 years ago

Sharon, you always make such clever blocks! I really like this and like the link you posted for tilting the blocks. I've bookmarked it and hope to use it one day soon!

Sue

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

"Wonkied" is a very technical quilting term. Newcomers take note!

Great job, Sharon. You are so clever with crumbs. You inspire me.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ms Toolgranny, You know I always insist on using the correct terminology! Don't want anyone to be confused around here. LOLOLOL

We can blame Gwen for me being the crumby person that I've become. heh heh heh But, it really is a good way to use up scraps and to sew without having to think and being precise about points and seams. Whatever suits your fancy on that day is correct.

SharonG/FL

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Sharon - thanks for the tute for tilting the blocks - this was something I wanted to do and was going to search for how.

Not being a scrappy - happy - person.....I love this one! I think it is because it looks orderly :) -- so did the other one.

I am signed up to take a Bonnie Hunter workshop -- I'm hoping she will magically convert me to embrace scrappy!

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

Be careful, Marsha. She'll have you saving every scrap and making strips of all the leftovers. You'll be a convert to scrappy.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I like the 'wonky' way the novelty crumbs look for kids. But I also like the Crumbs sashed with a cornerstone like this one I did. Just seems to look crisper and settles it down.

Marsha, I've been following Bonnie on her travels through Facebook. What workshop will she be doing??

Here is a link that might be useful: Crumbs Via D9P

• fran1523
    12 years ago

That wonky sashing brings order to a lot of crumby blocks. Really cute.

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

I like 'wonky', too!! I love the bright colors as well.

I know what you mean about not getting much done until after Thanksgiving. Where is the time going?????

Robbi

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Love it Sharon!!!! I think once Halloween gets here I'm swamoed until after the holidays.
    Rosa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, as I was picking up the pieces of framing strips, a thought came to me that I've wanted to try and this quilt seemed like it would be perfect. Soooooo, I started sewing all those strips end to end to use for binding. Use it up, gals, use it up!!! :)

SharonG/FL