Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Binding a scalloped edge?

Posted by beeohio (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 23, 10 at 12:11

I haven't got too much more hand quilting to go & I'll be ready to bind my Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt. It will have a scalloped edge. I read in a "binding & borders" book to use a single layer binding as it goes on easier.

I have always used a double layer binding, even on wall hangings. Has anyone here experience with binding scalloped edges? Did you use double or single layer binding?

I know double wears better, but this treasure will see very little "hard use" while I am in possession. LOL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Binding a scalloped edge?

Here is a tutorial. I have done a double binding on 2 scallop edges. Make sure you cut the binding on the bias, and do not cut the scallops till after you have sewn the binding on the front.
Karlene

Here is a link that might be useful: scallop binding tutorial

o

I agree with Karlene. Double will still work as long as you use bias fabric and keep it narrow.

o

I'm going to 2nd - oops, 3rd!! that comment. Double works fine, but yes, by all means cut it on the bias. cut as narrow as you are comfortable with - it will be easier to work with.

o

Thanks for the responses & the link. I believe I will give the double binding a try when I've finished quilting.

o

I'd be really interested in how it goes for you. My mom's doing a GMFG and she worries about how to finish the edge.

o

Petalpatsy, I added a 10" wide border to my GMFG. That is the part that's going to have scalloped edges. Within the border I appliqued smaller versions of the hexagon flowers.

I pondered for a while trying to decide how to finish the edges, searching the web & magazines for ideas. I thought the "knife-edge finish" looked rather daunting.

Is your mom using the plastic hexagon's? That is what I used.... "Quilt Pati's".

o

No, she draws a stitch line with dots at the angles and hand sews them up that way. She wants this one to be traditional, since her last one was paper pieced animal blocks done on the machine and sent out to long-arm.

o

I found this youtube video that shows how to use a special tool to get the correct size scallops for your quilt AND how to sew the binding on. I found it very helpful. Carol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIHhTxTpMQ0&feature=channel

Here is a link that might be useful: youtube

o

I'm anxious to see your quilt!! I inherited some fabric pieces that are already cut to do one of these quilts. I even cut some forms and did one "flower". I think it will be a lot of fun when I can get past some of the other projects I'm working on. I saved the tutorial because I'm sure it will be handy in the future.

Robbi

o

Hi Robbi! This thread is from a year & a half ago. Below is a link for pics of my finished GFG quilt. Have fun making yours.

Great tutorial on scalloped edge & binding it, Ct0516.

Here is a link that might be useful: My GFG quilt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here