Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bee0hio

My Grandmother's Flower Garden (pics)

bee0hio
13 years ago

My Grandmother's Flower Garden --IFFI-- "only" took me 10 1/2 years from start to finish and is aprox 90" x 108". It has 2,645 hexagons (Quilt Pati's plastic templates by Pati Shambaugh). It is all hand pieced & I used an antique wooden floor quilting frame to do most of the hand quilting. I designed the scalloped border which features appliqued flowers with quilted hearts between each.

(Slideshow option beneath picture)

To see a few more pics click here:

Comments (31)

• rosajoe_gw
    13 years ago

Bee, your quilt is breathtaking!!!!! I made 2 placemats and that is as far as I got with GFGs.
    How did you do the green border, before the lovely scalloped border???
    Rosa

• nanajayne
    13 years ago

You did a fantasic job. A wonderful accomplishment and I know you are very proud of the great job you did. It is a real heirloom. TFS Jayne

• day2day
    13 years ago

That is fantastic! What a treasure. Thanks for sharing such a beautiful quilt.

~Geraldine

• bee0hio
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the comments!

How did you do the green border, before the lovely scalloped border???

I think you are talking about the dark green? Well, I didn't want to have the"zig-zag" edge on the top & bottom that would have occurred had I stopped with the green that is just 1 row past the yellow. So I filled that zig-zag area in with more hexagons so that it is more of (but not quite) a straight edge (like on it is on the sides). Then I took the straight edge of the lighter green border & sewed it together with the hexagons & then just lopped off the excess hexagon. I don't know if that is understandable or not?

I studied for a long time on how to finish off the quilt. Often you see GFG's with no border and you have a "knife edge" finish or it is finished with a binding, which I deemed either would be a real pain to trim top, bottom, & batting then twist & turn around all those hexagonal angles. I thought it would be easier to deal with an added non-hex border. It was, but then it was almost too large to fit on the quilting frame!

• itsmesuzq
    13 years ago

Oh my, this quilt is fabulous!! This pattern is my favorite of all quilt patterns because of the wonderful memories it brings back. My goal is to make a GFG before I can't quilt anymore. ~LOL~ I may have to settle for a wall hanging because I know how long they take, but that would be fine by me.

Bee thank you so much for sharing this wonderful quilt with all of us. You have just given a beautiful gift to your family that will last long into the future.

Susan

• msmeow
    13 years ago

Congratulations on finishing it! It is beautiful.

Donna

• polardream
    13 years ago

WOW! That is absolutely beautiful. I love the scalloped border - you did a wonderful job. TFS!
    Sue/polardream

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

That is a wonderful quilt. You can be very proud. You did a wonderful job on the borders, too.

• tuppermom
    13 years ago

Beautiful quilt!! I love the way you finished it off.

• deannabsd
    13 years ago

Fantastic!! I just love it. It would make a beautiful rug in an area that no one would walk. What a great job.

• lindaoh_gw
    13 years ago

It's a wonderful and beautiful quilt!
    Linda

• calliope
    13 years ago

Oh............my............gosh! Those pieces are so tiny. I can't even imagine the patience required to do something like that. Yes, it is an heirloom.

• petalpatsy
    13 years ago

OH!!!! It's just lovely! Congratulations! It's made my day just seeing it. I love these quilts that take my breath away and I think Oh Man! Perfect! It's inspiring.

• fran1523
    13 years ago

Spectacular is the only word I can think of. The border is the perfect finish. Well done.

• easystitches
    13 years ago

Oh Bee, it's stunning! What an heirloom!
    You should be very proud!

My GFG is about 1/3 that size & still not quilted!
    You are an inspiration! Jill

• wish2okc
    13 years ago

How beautiful! You really have created an heirloom!

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

What a beautiful quilt!! All those little pieces and hand done? Wow!!! It is something to be proud of :-)

• vicky4x4
    13 years ago

I may have to get mine out and start back working on it, yep, right after September and the wedding is over!

Vicky

• jck1210
    13 years ago

Absolutely stunning!!!! What a beautiful heirloom you have created!!

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

Wow! Beautiful work! I also admire your dedication, not to mention your organizational skills keeping track of all the pieces.

What are your plans for this beauty?

Thank you for posting.

• rosajoe_gw
    13 years ago

Yep, that is what I meant about the green border Bee. Thanks for explaining it!! I think you should enter it into a quilt contest. It is definitely a blue ribbon!!!!
    Rosa

• wendyfaye
    12 years ago

AMAZING!! I love it! Great job and thanks for the picture.

Faye

• grammyp
    12 years ago

AWESOME!

• salijo
    12 years ago

I'm no expert, but I think that's the most fabulous border I've ever seen on a Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt.
    Salijo

• Vanislegirl88
    12 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!! How I wish I had the patience to do something like that.

• cygram
    12 years ago

This is the most beautiful GFG quilt I have ever seen!!

• vicky4x4
    12 years ago

I love it... I started one about four years ago and it is sitting in the closet!

Vicky

• chickie1
    12 years ago

It is simply beautiful. I love GFGs but don't have the patience to make one. It reminds of one my grandmother had. Love it!

• downsouth
    12 years ago

This is one of the prettiest ones I have seen!

I was watching a show on TV and the lady said the centers are normally made with yellow, but you can use any color(s) you want. I didn't know the traditional center color was yellow.

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

That is truly a lovely quilt!!! :-) I know you spent a lot of time making it. One of these days I hope to make one, it's on my quilts to make wishlist. It is truly inspiring to see one finished!

Best to you,
    Sandra

• loisflan
    12 years ago

I can't even grasp the enormity of that project - all hand pieced and quilted. What a lovely quilt and what a commitment. You have created a treasure that will be passed down through the years. Beautiful work and design.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner