Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janey_g

Estimate for entire concrete deck replacement

janey_g
16 years ago

We are dealing with an entire concrete deck that is crumbling. (On a 3 year old pool, I might add!) The builder will not fix it and blames the dye. Our attorney needs an estimate for the replacement of the deck, but who would give the most accurate estimate? Because the decking is integral to the (vinyl-liner) pool, it involves more than just concrete repair. Another pool builder?

Thanks for any info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here is a link to a prior post.

Comments (7)

• huskyridor
    16 years ago

Your best bet would be to call a concrete construction contractor or a pool construction contractor.
    I looked at your pool picture on the other thread.
    If you had less than 400sq/ft I'd charge 15+-per sq/ft, and if you had around 750sq/ft I'd be around 11+-.
    This is a job where I look more at the amount of the total invoice than I do at the unit pricing.
    I'd want 4500-5000 on a small 300+- deck, around 7500 for a mid sized 700+-, and 10000 if it was a deck around 1000 square.
    This would be a demo, haul-off, and re-pour quote.
    My area is SE Texas, and our prices may be lower than your area.

I hope this helps.

See ya,
    Kelly

• janey_g
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Husky.

Would that same figure apply to the vinyl pool structure situation? I know you build gunite pools. We have a Testing Service coming Wednesday to assess the reason for the failure of the concrete. They are big outfit that performs structural testing on roads, bridges, etc.

• huskyridor
    16 years ago

Yes the number is the same regardless of the type of pool. What I look at is the ease of demolition, forming, and pouring.

I think you'll find the failure is due to a low amount of cement and a high amount of sand and/or fly ash.

Good luck.
    See ya,
    Kelly

• janey_g
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yesterday the testing guy said something about it possibly not having enough air in it when poured? Or too much water. They will take a core sample and put it through that expen$ive $pectrograph testing.

As Bartels and James always said,
    Thank you for your support!

• janey_g
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Have not gotten the written report yet, but the representative from the testing company called yesterday to say the spectrograph results showed that there was insufficient entrained air. So we definitely have a case! It was either the fault of the builder ordering the wrong concrete or the supplier delivering the wrong mix, but NOT OUR FAULT! And not caused by the small amount of Davis dye added in. They said there was no way to repair it and it must all be removed.

On to the next step.....

• janey_g
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Our lawyer is now sending the official paperwork to the builder. Keep your fingers crossed we get some satisfaction on this mess.

Thanks to those who offfered your thoughts.

J

• tresw
    15 years ago

Wow, sorry to see you're going through that! Air entrainment creates tiny microscopic air cells in the concrete that relieves the pressure in the concrete when the water in it freezes. Based on your picture it looks like the concrete is spalling from the freeze/ thaw cycle which could certainly be caused by inadequate entrainment.

Good luck, hopefully the builder will make things right!