Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gtanzer_gw

HELP! Toilet - wood stuck won't drain

gtanzer
15 years ago

I surely did something dumb. I was vacuuming with my rainbow vacuum (uses water) after work being done on the house and I picked up some small pieces of wood, and as I usually do I tossed the water and its contents down the toilet. Oh boy, that was dumb, and wood expands, and now the toilet is clogged. (you can not see any of the wood) what do I do?

- I have a plunger I have tried that

- I have a snake but can only go move it down the toilet so far, and can't get beyond that point.

- the water fills the bowl, but does not over flow thank goodness, and then the water will slowly drain (not toilet paper) if left unattended. If I use the plunger the water does eventually go down.

- So is there a product I can use to make the wood dissolve (i believe it is plywood)

- I have tried contacting the 2 plumbers I know but they are unavailable.

HELP!!!!

Comments (7)

• frodo_2009
    15 years ago

take the tank off the bowl, and take the bowl outside
    turn it upside down and get the peices out
    then put it all bak togather again
    or.......pay about $200.--250. for a plumber to do it

• hendricus
    15 years ago

You need a toilet auger with a hook on the end to catch the wood and bring it back up. Poking it with a snake won't help, you need to break it up by twirling the snake.

• pjb999
    15 years ago

Maybe you could stick the vacuum in there and vacuum it out? Probably a long shot.

Wood can survive hundreds, even thousands of years in water so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a natural solution.

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

you will need to remove the toilet and fish it out. anythign that you try to hit the wood with to break it will also either break or scratch your bowl. as stated earlier, remove it, turn it upside down adn then wiggle it out.

don't forget to put a new wax ring on it! they are not reusable!

and from now on dump the vac outside if you are picking up any debris. better yet, use a regualr wet/dry vac to clean up the mess as the debris will likely ruin you other vacuum.

• frodo_2009
    15 years ago

did you get the crap out of your toilet?
    I would like to know whats the outcome?
    hendricus,pjb999,david an KC, ya'll wanna know?
    GTANZER.....let us know man/she!!!! what did you do?

• pjb999
    15 years ago

We do want to know, and I'd like to add that toilets/the sewer system is not for the disposal of garbage.

You may be a global warming disbeliever or whatever, but from whatever side of politics/ethics/whatever you come from, polluting our waterways (and all treated or untreated effluent ends up interacting with the waterways) is not an acceptable practice.

At the very least, you should strain the water you are dumping but tipping the contents onto the lawn (again strained) is probably the best thing to do with such material.

• gtanzer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all your help and support, with my drain problem.
    I finally had it fixed yesterday 3/4/09

I am so glad I have an extra bathroom

• Frodo. I called a plumber  many charge a fortune as you stated. But I found someone www.assuredlabor.com very affordable, professional and nice.

Hendricus - The Toilet auger worked for the plumber, but he was still nice enough to take it apart and check it.
    Pjb999 - tried the rainbow vac, to try to pull out the wood pieces, but did not work. That was my thought about the wood, lasting forever. Thanks for the heads up on the sewer system, remember I said it was a dumb thing to toss in toilet to begin with. (my town has a water treatment plant, I pay enough taxes, might as well get some use of it) Not to worry I wonÂt destroy the planet.
    Davidandkasie  thanks for that info, about taking it apart and the wax ring, patience is a virtue in this case. Rainbow vacuums works well but I agree a wet/dry vac is a better solution.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

Here is a link that might be useful: www.assuredlabor.com