Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ldb_wayne

Waterproof paint for inside shower

ldb_wayne
15 years ago

What type of paint would you recommend for a wood window sill that is inside a shower? It gets wet every time that the shower is used.

Comments (10)

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

I would use an oil based paint. I would also put a plastic curtain over the window and sill to protect it.

• paintguy22
    15 years ago

100 percent high quality acrylic paint in satin or better sheen.

• Faron79
    15 years ago

Agreeing with PG...
    Don't use an oil in there!!

Eventually though...this is a mistake/problem waiting to happen.
    Wood in a shower is never a good idea.

Faron

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    15 years ago

Agreeing with PG...
    Don't use an oil in there!!
    Eventually though...this is a mistake/problem waiting to happen.
    Wood in a shower is never a good idea.
    I would agree,I don't think that ANY paint will hold up in a shower situation like that.

• pupwhipped
    15 years ago

Duh, here it is:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/wood/msg080822032030.html

Does this marine paint make any sense to any of you experts?

Thanks

• pupwhipped
    15 years ago

I'm just gonna bump this one time to see if anyone knows about this marine paint I metioned above. D-day has come for me and my stupid window in the shower paint selection. FYI, when you look out the window, you see the most gorgeous lake view. Hope that helps me embrace the rot when it eventually comes!

pup

• pukukai_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

HOPING SOMEONE CAN HELP ME!!

Shower needs repainting..is there a special paint to use for the walls inside the shower?? Or do ou have to replace them??

CHEERS!

• joconsumer_aol_com
    12 years ago

I'd like to second the question about the shower. I live in a 100+ year old apartment building and the shower has a window with a wood sill and wood trim all around it. I cannot remove it. With respect to suggestions already posted, I have tried oil paint and glossy latex paint, and I have always had a shower curtain in front of it, yet within a couple of years of painting, the paint peels and the wood gets soaked. I too am wondering which is a viable/better option: (a) epoxy paint (b) outdoor paint (like you'd use on house) and (c) the marine paint asked about here.

• HU-929634191
    last year

I used white marine paint on the wood window frame in my shower. It lasted for over 20 years! Absolutely no water damage. Just renovated the bathroom and I am looking for marine paint again for the frame. However, it seems now one has to buy a full gallon of the paint - I havent found it sold in smaller containers. i highly recommend it.