Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zuponcic

Waterproof paint?

vedazu
18 years ago

There doesn't seem to be a painting forum, and this forum appears to field a lot of questions about paint and stain. So here is my dilemma--perhaps someone out there knows the answer. Is there such a thing as a waterproof paint that one could use on baseboards in a kitchen? I have a brick floor in my newly remodeled kitchen that requires lots of water to clean and lots of sloshing around because of the deeper grout lines. I know that the baseboards will take a beating. I could use vinyl baseboards on the inside kitchen area, but need wood baseboards on the outer side of a peninsula which will face the family room. What would you use?

Comments (10)

• Kitty_in_NC
    18 years ago

An oil based paint will hold up better than latex. All paint acts as a water shield as long as it is properly primed and caulked to the wall.

• vedazu
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you so much for that advice! Knowing the speed with which my kitchen has progressed, there's no trouble waiting a month for the paint to cure! How about two?!

• lazypup
    18 years ago

You can use marine epoxy paint and have a waterproof finish fully cured in 24 hours.

When using marine paints be sure to get "Topside Paint" or "Deck Paint". Do not get "Hull Paint" because hull paint is formulated with toxi chemicals that are intended to leach out to prevent barnacles and algae growth.

• jbata
    18 years ago

I think I would use an Exterior paint. If you think about it, Ext paint is designed to withstand all types of weather including rain and moisture. Just a thought.

• vedazu
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Marine paint! what a great idea! And exterior is logical too, thanks! Veda

• brickeyee
    18 years ago

Any of the acrylic latex paints form a pretty good water barrier. If you think you will have a lot of water around, prime and paint all sides and edges of the baseboard before instaling. There are also plenty of siliconized acrylic caulks that accept paint and do not yellow as badly as silicone caulk.

• ntt_hou
    18 years ago

I posted a separate posting for a similar question but it has to do with a dining table set that I'd like to bring it outdoor to use. So far, no answer, just explanation about what climates do to wood. Ah, if I didn't know that, I wouldn't post my question.

So, what you all are recommending, can this be applied on a pine wood dining table set for outdoor use as well? How often would I need to reapply it? Thank you all!

• loraz
    17 years ago

I have a problem with mold in my bathroom. The advice giving to me is to have a bleach base solution and spray it on the mold. I have been killing mold left and right and I am currently waiting for the results to see if it returns. Although I doubt it will return, I want to take other measures to ensure that the mold will stay gone.

So my first question is what kind of plaster can I use to cover up the patches? As I ws removing mold, I encountered plaster patches in which the mold was having a feast on. I am looking for plaster that in "anti-mold" if there is any. I was thinking of using cement grout but before I do so, I thought there might be a better suggestion.

My second question is, what kind of paint and primer do I use that wonÂt turn into food for mold and is waterprrof?

I appreciate any suggestions.

• Waterproof_Mouldings
    13 years ago

We believe in recycling hard to recycle plastics that no one else is tackling. Our target: Polystyrene (Styrofoam). To date we've recycled 65 million pounds of Styrofoam.

We're a California based recycling company that diverts waste streams of Styrofoam as our raw feed stock for our finished goods. We make interior mouldings sold nationwide at Home Depot. Our interior mouldings are made of extruded Polystyrene (that's Styrofoam's technical name). It's hard like wood and works the same as wood. Timbron mouldings are waterproof, mold and mildew resistant, 90% recycled content (50% pre-consumer 40% post), insect resistant, and does not offgas (zero VOC). Our product is the sustainable choice you want at the affordable price you need.

The problems you are facing now are a direct result as a failure of the material currently installed. Do NOT use marine paint as you will be breathing in chemicals that you don't want to be breathing in.

Use the correct material for the job the first time. Protect your investment as Timbron mouldings are the best interior mouldings at protecting the interior wet areas of your home. Our products have form and function, something wood and other plastic products can't compete with. In purchasing our products you'll be helping to create additional Styrofoam waste collection streams, helping further our mission to tackle discarded plastic waste. You'll also be promoting an American manufacturer.

If you have any questions please visit our website or speak with your local Home Depot associate. Recently, we've started collecting waste Styrofoam packaging material from Home Depot appliance installations. A beautiful closed loop waste collection program!

I'm confident you won't find a better product on the market. I look forward to answering any questions you might have!

Lucas Tvrdik
    Timbron International
    925-943-1632