Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting kitchen cabinets: BM Satin Impervo vs. BM Advance

Posted by KenzieThada (My Page) on
Sat, May 4, 13 at 0:01

We are getting the keys to our new house this coming Monday, and the first thing on the to-do list is to paint the kitchen cabinets white (picture is attached...not sure exactly what type of wood/material the cabinets are made out of since we've only been able to see them in person a couple of times...but I'm guessing oak??). We have done our research and know it will be a big job, but luckily we have a whole month to work on the house before we have to move in.

As far as paint goes, we have narrowed it down to Benjamin Moore Satin Impervo (we're considering that in either the waterbourne version OR alkyd version) or Benjamin Moore Advance. I have read and heard good things about all of these, and I honestly can't decide which to go with. Advance is quite a bit cheaper at our BM supplier, so we will likely end up going with that unless someone can explain to me why Satin Impervo might be better? We are also still deciding on whether we'll brush on the paint or spray it on (we're looking at buying a Wagner 518080 Control Spray Max HVLP Sprayer, since that seems to have the best reviews under $200). Honestly, if I can be confident that we won't see brush/roller strokes after applying two thin coats of paint, we will probably just brush it on since we've never used a sprayer before.

Does anyone swear by either Impervo or Advance? And would we be better off spraying or sticking with high quality brushes and rollers?? Any advice would be SO appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting kitchen cabinets: BM Satin Impervo vs. BM Advance

I would go for the Advance and a brush and roller. It takes YEARS of practice to get proficient at spraying( maybe a lifetime with a cheapo wagner). If you do not want to see brush marks, then you will need to send them out somewhere and have them professionally sprayed. Brush marks can be kept to a minimum with the proper tools and proper application, but they will still be there

o

That's kind of what I'm thinking. I don't expect to get a 100% perfect finish using brushes, I just don't want to walk into the kitchen and get hit in the eyes with super obvious brush marks all over my cabinets. :) A few friends of ours hand-painted their cabinets with some kind of crappy paint and put on thick, heavy coats and that's kind of the end result they got (they offered to help us paint ours...I politely declined, hehe). Thanks for the response!

o

Proper prep and technique will do the job. I just hand painted our new kitchen cabinet doors with Satin Impervo water borne and they looks great. Do they look like they were sprayed? NO , but they look good.
Of course, I have been doing this a long time.

o

Would you say Satin Impervo Waterborne is superior to Advance then? Or just your preference? As far as prepping goes, so far we're planning on cleaning thoroughly with a no-rinse cleaner and sanding before applying one coat of a good primer (not sure exactly which primer yet either, of course). Does that sound right? Would you recommend we use an actual chemical deglosser as well or just stick to sanding/priming?

o

I used the Satin Impervo because I had some and I like the finish . Forget the chemical deglosser and stick with cleaning and sanding. Just make sure you get all the sanding dust cleaned as well. I would use BM's Fresh Start as a primer, second choice would be Zinsser's 123

o

I don't know if this will help, but I just painted a stack of cubbies made from furniture grade maple plywood with maple veneer on the cut sides (hubby built them).
I used the Advance and a small skinny roller (not sure of the knapp size) but the kind with the closed end to get into corners and a light sanding (330 grit recommended for between paint coats) between coats. I let the first coat dry 24 hours before applying the second. I could not be happier with the results.
Oh, I should have stated that the primmer we used was an oil based primer used to seal bare woods.
Does it look sprayed on? Almost. The paint was very easy to work with and the coverage was good. I did two coats and am very happy with the results.

o

Oh awesome, thanks for sharing that! I'm feeling more and more reassured that I'll be fine using Advance and not buying a sprayer. :) My method will be pretty similar to yours, though I'll probably use a brush as well.

o

Kenzie you have the perfect kitchen for hand-painting kitchen cabinets. You are going to be amazed at the improvement if you follow Christopher's directions. Just don't skip any steps and take your time :).

You will see a little grain since your cabinets are oak, but that helps eliminate the look of brush marks also. I am one of those people who don't mind seeing the grain of oak - at least they look like real wood.

I have one question for Christoper: How does the BM Impervo and Advance compare to SW Pro-Classic as far as ease of applying?? My reason for asking is that I have used the Pro-Classic on a vanity and was very impressed with the quality of the finished product - just would like to know for future projects.

o

For me the pro classic was harder to work with, now this has bees 5 or 6 years ago when I used it. The finish was pretty much the same as Impervo.If you were happy with the way the pro classic went on, then by all means stick with it.

o

With the oak grain, the wood grain will always be very visible. You should look at painted oak cabinets to make sure that you are ok with that. Alternatively, if you are not set on white cabinets, I would look into General Finishes gel stain.

Here is a link that might be useful: gel stained oak cabinets

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here