Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ejbrymom

Show me your painted/stained oak cabinets

ejbrymom
14 years ago

I have seen posts here and there of people that kept their existing oak cabinets and did great kitchen remodels around them by staining or painting them. I would love to see them.

All of this is helping me get ready for my own oak cabinet transformation to be completed by spring.

Thanks so much!

Any tips on hiding some of the graining that is common with oak? (putty recommendation perhaps)

Also if you can explain if simply the process you used to either paint/stain(gel) cabinets?

THank you thank you in advance!

Comments (14)

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Long tedious process, but worth taking the time. We used Pore-o-pac, paintable wood grain filler. Several coats, sanded in between.

We painted ours with oil, so we used the oil based product to fill the grain. I've attached a link to the product, there is now a "thinner" available, but we used mineral spirits (I think) to thin it.

Before we did this, we cleaned them thoroughly with TSP, lightly sanded.

We aren't done with our kitchen yet (notice the unfinished crown moulding that we added &only 1/2 the new floor) but here's a before and "during"
    {{gwi:1561895}}

{{gwi:1585396}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Pore-o-Pac

• gmp3
    14 years ago

Before

After

• ejbrymom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

gmp3 - GREAT update! What granite do you have? And what color did you paint your cabinets? I love how you removed your island and installed a penisula for seating instead!

• mscheff
    14 years ago

I was so glad to see this forum as I too have been searching for the best process to either paint or stain my oak kitchen cabinets. I will start with my ulitily room cabinet, and if I like the look I will then proceed to the kitchen. My floors are light ceramic tile and my backsplash is tuscan 4" cream tiles. Don't know if white or cream cabinets would look good? The oak cabinets go well, but I want a new look in the room and definitely want to update the cabinets and island.

Should I paint the cabinets cream with all my other light colors. The floor and blacksplash are fairly new and will not be replaced.

Help, you guys are so good at tackling these projects and they look great. I am amazed at your skills!

Marilyn

• gmp3
    14 years ago

I forgot the color we had them painted, but I think it was something like "linen" or "canvas" I brought the samples to the cabinet dept in Home Depot and matched them to cabinets I liked. I had someone spray them with BM satin Impervo, there were too many doors drawers for me to handle. I may get them glazed in the future, just waiting a bit to see how they wear. We actually moved the cabinets from the island to make the penninsula, and faced them with beadbord on the back side, and had the floors refinished. I HATED that island, and love the seating. The granite is Santa Cecelia Napoli.

I am very happy with the way it turned out and it was inexpensive, especially because I have so many cabinets, replacement would have been out of the question for us.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

gmp3, can you give details of the paint color you used, the hardware you used and how you added the siding to the cabinets? Did you paint them yourself? They are so perfect! I love your updated kitchen. I also love the granite color and would love to know what it is.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Beeskeeperswife, I also love the changes you made to your kitchen with your cabinets now being the star of your kitchen. Do you have a close up of your counters and the details since it looks pretty with the white kitchen.

Thank you!

• gmp3
    14 years ago

Lynn2006, we added beadboard to cover all the fake wood side panels and to build out the penninsula, and trimmed it with 3" trim on the base cabinets only. My husband built up the corner cabinet and hutch area to give a bit of height variance, and we added glass to 3 doors.

My hardware is oil rubbed bronze, purchased on eBay. I didn't replace the hinges and painted them with spray paint instead (they would have been $6 each and I needed about 80 of them).

• sidewindette
    14 years ago

Wow. I am wanting to restain my oak cabinets a darker color, and was very interested in this post, and then read where gmp3 took out island and replaced with the peninsula. That is exactly what I want to do. I even made my husband come in here and look! Thanks for posting. Ya'lls cabinets look nice, too.

• gmp3
    14 years ago

Celticmoon - your kitchen is fabulous! You went from really crummy to custom chic! Your expresso color and brushed nickle hardware are perfect for those slab front cabinets and the rest of your decor. I love these amazing low-budget redos more than some of the $75K kitchens!

I may do a bathroom cabinet with the gel stain. The vanity has cheapy fake wood sides - does the gel work there too?

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

gmp3, thanks for letting me know that you had fake sides also to your cabinets and how you covered it and then also added trim. I am still in the middle of deciding what to do about my fake worn out oak cabinets that look nice from far away but up close one can see how worn out they are and that underneath in some areas the particle board is now showing since the plastic shiny brown stuff came off. For fake cabinets mine do not look that bad but they are 20 years old and I have to make a decision on what to do about them since I am trying to make my kitchen beautiful for me, for when visitors come by, and for potential resale value in case I sell one day. Thanks for letting me know that the knobs are oil rubbed bronze bought on EBay.

Celticmoon, I always love seeing your kitchen transformation.

• punkyman
    14 years ago

Our kitchen cabibets are in the process of being painted. We decided to hire a professional to do the job as I could have never done it myself. The doors will be put in next week and then the walls will be painted, new wood floors will also be installed. Last but not least a backsplash and hardware will be put up. I am exciting to see the final project

P.S. We painted ours Dover White from SW. I love the color!!

{{gwi:1585404}}

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

lynn2006, I have Bianco Antico granite. I love it. Here are some pictures of it. Santa brought me a really nice camera for Christmas, but I haven't installed software to upload photos to computer. So these are my inferior camera pictures...

{{gwi:1585405}}

{{gwi:1585406}}

This one is a little blurry--it's from the day of installation--I think I was shaking from excitement!!!
    {{gwi:1585407}}

And I saw some talk about the ends of the cabinets. Before we went ahead and bought veneer to enable us to paint the ends of the cabinets (they are some sort of plastic coated stuff), I sprayed them with a clear primer that allows you to paint over plastic. It was the Lowe's brand (Valspar?) of the same product that Krylon puts out--you know the stuff to paint your plastic furniture with. This was easy, apologies to the ozone of course. I was able to paint them without any trouble at all.