Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chipster_2007

Miele 4840 Washer- How to Increase Water Setting in Wash Cycle

chipster_2007
13 years ago

I have had my Miele 4840 washer for a few years and am not happy with the water level in the wash cycle. I have seen info regarding increasing water level for the rinse cycle. Does this include the wash cycle as well or is there another program one has to go through to do this. I called Miele once for this but they did not want to do this. Would appreciate your help. Thanks

Comments (9)

• sshrivastava
    13 years ago

Check out this thread (search is your friend). Make sure Water+/extra rinse is selected. I believe my W4842 had that selected as default.

There is another setting called "Maximum Water Level" but that affects rinses only. I've had my W4842 since March and I don't see any issues with the wash level. What specific issue are you having that makes you dissatisfied with the water level during the wash cycle?

• larsi_gw
    13 years ago

While my clothes seem very, very clean...I also think the water level is very low for wash cycles (but ALL front loaders use an insane small amount of water during the wash cycle). According to Miele and our Miele Technician, ONLY the rinse cycles can be set to high water level, as sshrivastava said...Water+/Extra Rinse.

• chipster_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks all for your responses. There just seems to be so little water in the wash cycle. I guess I'll always believe my clothes got cleaner in my top loader with all that xtra water. Most of my t shirts come out stained although washing in warm water has, I think, helped somewhat. Maybe I'll just have to pretreat anything that looks like it will leave a stain. I guess I can't really believe that so little water equals really clean clothes.

• sshrivastava
    13 years ago

Chipster, we need more details in order to help solve this issue. What is the exact circumstance? What type of loads are you washing when you experience this? What is the temperature setting? What cycle are you using? What detergent, and how much? Do you know anything about your water hardness?

If you can provide us with some additional details, I'm sure most of us can give you some useful suggestions.

• mark_jacobs_oracle_com
    13 years ago

I am having the exact same issue... my clothes do not come clean, often carry an odor that drives us nuts. We think they are nice machines but my 4840 washer has damaged clothes. We paid so damn much for them we are too cheap to get rid of them... our fault... yes. If anyone has a solution here... HELP... much thanks too.

• livebetter
    13 years ago

What do you mean "damaged clothes"?

• fahrenheit_451
    13 years ago

I am having the exact same issue... my clothes do not come clean, often carry an odor that drives us nuts. We think they are nice machines but my 4840 washer has damaged clothes. We paid so damn much for them we are too cheap to get rid of them... our fault... yes. If anyone has a solution here... HELP... much thanks too.
    Do you have low water pressure? If so, there is a setting for this in the hidden menu discussed above. The water is timed, not measured, so for those who do want a bit more water this will help too.

• moon1234
    13 years ago

Sinky clothes is almost always due to using the "Normal" cycle. This cycle does NOT use the onboard heater. It takes HEATED water to remove organic stains and odors.

We use the custom cycle almost 90% of the time. Towels (even colored), underwear and other such items are washed on Sanitize heat.

Normal colored clothes are washed on very warm and whites are whased on hot.

NOTHING stinks. Everything comes clean. We DO NOT use Tide, Era, etc. most of the time. Only when there is a very stained piece of clothing and the stain is organic (food, grass, blood, etc.)

We normally use BacOut and other Bi-O-Kleen laundry products. They are ALL natural enzyme cleaners and do a very good job. Just don't like bleach (unless someone is puking) nor the commercial cleaners. That stuff is just NOT good for the environment and it sometimes builds up on the clothes.

• livebetter
    13 years ago

I have a 10 year old Frigidaire front loader with no heater. I most often use a warm wash (sometimes hot) and have never had an issue with stinky clothes.

My whites are white and most everything is stain free (I have two young boys).

I have BioKleen and also use Method, Vaska, Seventh Generation ... I'm not sure I put that much "weight" on the importance of a heater. I'm sure it helps but I don't believe not using one is necessarily going to cause you issues.