Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flyingkite

One, two, three: Miele W8440 Programming

flyingkite
16 years ago

Want more options? More water for rinsing? Reduce maximum spin? Special washing cycle for the people with allergies?

You've got it!

Now, letÂs start our "Teach Yourself Miele 8440 Programming in 24 second"!

1. Open the drum door.

2. Press and hold the "Pause" button until the washer shuts down.

3. Press and hold the "Start" button, close the drum door while holding the "Start" button.

4. After the "Start" button indicator flashes one time release the "Start" button.

5. Press the "Start" button five times (very important, you should start pressing button immediately after step 4) and hold on fifth until the display shows "programming mode" .

Bingo!

Display will show the very first programming option, "Reset", so you can always roll back all your programming & tweaking wrongdoings.

Now, as an equivalent of the first "Hello World" code, let's program Miele to add extra water in the rinsing cycle.

Press left menu button to scroll through the programming options until the "Water+" entry shows up.

Press the right menu button ( under "OK" on the display). You are now in the "Water+" submenu. Press the left button to scroll through the submenu. The following option will be available:

Water+

Extra Rinse

Water+/extra rinse

Back

Stop on the "Water+" and press the right button ("OK").

"Water+" will change to "Water+^"

Press the left button and scroll to the "Back", then press the right "OK" button, you will return to the Main Menu.

Scroll through the menu pressing the left button till the very last entry - "Exit", then press the right "OK" button.

Congratulations, you washer has been successfully reprogrammed, more water on the rinsing cycle, bigger numbers in your water bill.

Enjoy!

P.S. Don't tweak with the options you don't understand, consult knowledgeable Miele support representative first. I also would not recommend to play with the country version, low water pressure option etc, use your common sense!

Comments (17)

• abcbrooklyn
    16 years ago

OMGosh!! Thank you, thank you thank you! I couldn't convince my local authorized Miele dealer to do this...they said they couldn't.

I also have some data that I've collected on the water temperatures for various cycles. I'm still working through it as I just got back home after taking delivery of my washing machine. So I'm just getting my washing done these past couple of days. I will post them soon.

• abcbrooklyn
    16 years ago

mmm..... my washer was already set for water+/extra rinse. I know I've recorded 2 rinses for all loads except when I select "sensitive" as an option in which case I get a 3rd rinse.

wish I knew what some of the other selections meant. i wonder if there is a programming manual circulating.

• flyingkite
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I called Miele support yesterday and complained that one of my family members has a very sensitive skin and they reluctantly agreed to guide me through. They tried three times without any luck, I just couldn't enter into programming mode. Then I asked them to read their cheat sheet word by word, they refused, telling me that it's too complicated for the average customer, and repair man should call them from my house (I have a service appointment today, Miele technician is coming to align the drum door).

Well, after heaving such a great pleasure talking to Miele I started thinking what went wrong and eventually after several trials and errors found the right sequence (support guy just skipped one important step).

Just be careful, for example, Miele limits maximum spin speed to 1400 for US due to the weak floor structures, but the actual speed can be set up to 1600, which is just dangerous, especially if you washer was installed on the second floor.

• jerrod6
    16 years ago

Oh this is too funny. They limit the spin speed but it CAN go up to 1600 but too dangerous for U.S.A construction. This is probably the truth.

• housekeeping
    16 years ago

Oh, pish-tush, I've had my "old" 1918s with their default 1600 rpm max spins on a concrete basement floor, upstairs in a NYC brownstone apartment, and on the ground floors of two different pre-1900 wood-frame houses. And since it is the default spin speed, I rarely use anything less. All structures remained standing despite the high rpms. (What wusses.)

Thank you for posting the secret recipe. I'm itching to get my paws on one of the new machine's brains. For those with enquiring minds (and devious intentions) interested in playing around with the country code to get non-US cycle programming, but still retain US electrical service settings, you might see if one of the options is Venezuela. Last time I had my Fls (Miele and Asko) there, the electrical service was the same as the US........ (Disclaimer: I have no idea what that might actually do, it's just a thought I had when I read about the country code options; YMMV.)

Molly~

• abcbrooklyn
    16 years ago

What exactly is the washing cycle for allergies and how is it different from using the sensitive option?

• flyingkite
    Original Author
    16 years ago

abcbrooklyn,

Just like I sad, call Miele support and ask (if you find with some luck) knowledgeable customer representative.

housekeeping,

Actually the maximum speed you can set is 2000 and the key words are "concrete basement floor" and "pre-1900 wood-frame houses". Different times, different building codes...

• kenbong
    16 years ago

Great news. One question though - what's a Miele "W8440"? You are talking about the "W4840" washer right?

• flyingkite
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, it's Miele W4840, sorry for the typo.

• jerrod6
    16 years ago

Max speed is 2000. Hmm if air currents were right it might take off.

• holdencommodore
    16 years ago

2000 rpm spin speed....can anyone tell more? very interested.anyone heard that it would void the warranty?and are the clothes ok and not damaged at this speed? any comments anyone?wanting to buy the W4840 but is it really necessary to spend that much on the matching dryer?yes might look cosmetically great but omg, thats a stack of $$$ for a dryer!

• flyingkite
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, consider two things that make a difference, drying is faster and temperatures are lower comparing to the regular dryers. All this happens due to the increased volume of air. Your laundry never gets overheated! So, does it worth the extra money? I think yes.

• robert94303
    16 years ago

First, I wanted to thank flyingkite for starting this thread and giving all of us a 101 on how to tweak the w48xx.

Here are a few more things:

Â On my machine (bought on 11-14-2007) I need to press the "Start" button SEVEN times and hold on SEVENTHS until the display shows "programming mode".

If I only press it FIVE times as described above I get to the SERVICE MODE (some interesting information there).

In machines which gets you into programming mode by pressing FIVE times the start button, you will need THREE times to get you into SERVICE MODE.

I tried the EU (Country Setting) and ended up with RINSE-ONLY in Normal programming mode. Back in USA setting  all works as said (except the temperature thing in normal mode Â)

I will keep you posted with anything new I will discover Â

BTW I will also post some feedback on the temperature issue in a separate thread.

• workerbee-peonies
    15 years ago

I don't see any recent postings here so I will go back to the other thread that led me here. I just did my machine only put in water+/extra rinse. That was after I did water plus so we will see what I get. I had to do mine 8 times because I bought mine in June 2008. Very interesting settings. I wish as well that there was a book explaining all of this. All I want is 3 rinses at least for each setting other than wool and silk that I will never use anyway. Thanks again. So happy. Hope it worked.

• workerbee-peonies
    15 years ago

I don't see any recent postings here so I will go back to the other thread that led me here. I just did my machine only put in water+/extra rinse. That was after I did water plus so we will see what I get. I had to do the start button 8 times because I bought mine in June 2008. Very interesting settings. I wish as well that there was a book explaining all of this. All I want is 3 rinses at least for each setting other than wool and silk that I will never use anyway. Thanks again. So happy. Hope it worked.

• wrungout
    9 years ago

I love this guide! thank you, I changed my water levels, got rinse plus etc. Now, do I have to reset every time I do a load of wash, or will these settings stay as is? is there a way to get the light to go on while the machine is washing? Thank you in advance.

• suburbanmd
    9 years ago

The settings will stay as-is. I haven't found a way to keep the drum light on.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations