Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvmykelpie

Help! Maytag Epic washer thumps, squeaks and squeals!

luvmykelpie
16 years ago

After doing all of the research and matching the results to my price point, I bought the Epic 9700 FL washer from Home Depot on July 27th of this year.

Everything was great at first, but over the last 5 weeks there's been a gradual increase in the amount of play in the drum to the point where it wobbles quite a bit now. I kept thinking that maybe this was normal for their suspension, but this just doesn't seem right so I made a service appointment for Monday morning.

The Epic thumps at the beginning of the spin stage of the cycle in both wash and rinse, makes a squeaky spring noise like the back seat of a 50 year old car in the wash and rinse tumbling, and makes a high-pitched squeal once it gets to a certain spin speed and above.

There's also an odd tapping noise of metal on metal throughout the cycle, and it also makes an odd drawn-out noise that sounds like it's coming from the top-front-left area (near the dispenser and cycle stage indicator lights) right before the door unlocks at the end of the cycle.

What's wrong? What is the service tech likely to find? What will he/she tell me?

The Epic isn't even paid off yet, I bought it on a 12-month interest free financing deal.

Please help!

Comments (26)

• matt.shaver
    16 years ago

Hey,

I can vouch for this happening on the Whirlpool Duets too. I have a lengthy thread on this site that explains the same thing. However, I took delivery on the 20th of July. Basically the Maytag Epic and Whirlpool Duets are twins with different fascias and features, but under all that metal and plastic, they are much the same.

I purchased my set from Lowe's and also got the extended warranty on both the washer and dryer, good price and also a good decision.

Here is what I did:

1. I called the manager of the store and talked to some associate manager. He suggested I call their Lowe's appliance 1-800 number located in my paperwork and I did. They came out did a thorough job of testing and found out the unit was never properly installed. The dryer was not stacked correctly either. The technician leveled the unit and engaged the lock washers as they were not done so. This did not end the issue and what you're explaining continued to happen.

2. I sent a letter of complaint via Lowe's web site politely explaining the issue. In the meantime, I visited the Lowe's from whom I purchased the set and discussed options with the sales associate. She was great, after all I did purchase the set from her. She wanted a second opinion and gave me the name of a local Whirlpool service technician.

3. During that conversation which happened on a Sunday, Lowe's corporate office sent an email to me which stated I should hear from my local store within 24 hours, which I did.

The Lowe's sales associate whom I worked with during this event told me the store is giving me a credit for the washer and dryer and I may pick out a new set or replace it with a Whirlpool Duet set.

This time, I chose Bosch Nexxt 500 Plus W/D set (they are currently backordered) which was my gut to begin with. However, I can tell you that I will not use the units nor sign paperwork until I personally inspect the units before use. Last time, I was moving into my home and I had the movers here, cable/internet and Lowe's all at the same time and I was signing more paperwork that I knew what was happening.

However, what you're explaining is the exact same issues I was facing and I knew they were not right at all. My "X" has the Duets and they never acted this way at all.

A couple questions if I could:

1. Does this action happen on every load no matter the quantity or type of clothing? No matter what I put into the washer it does it.

2. Has this effected your drying times as it has mine?

3. How violently does it shake and thump? Mine does it all the time and I feel there is an airplane overhead.

Keep us posted but I do feel for you. Personally, I believe it was installation that fouled up these machines. That is why I'm going to be so very careful with the Bosch units.

Matt
    Spfld, IL.

• luvmykelpie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Matt!

I'm in the NW suburbs of Chicago; I see you're in Spfld - small world!

If your Duet did this, and my Epic is doing this, maybe some Kenmore He_ts are doing this, too?

Before I answer your questions, some background information. Having learned all of this in my research before buying, I carefully supervised the installation and made sure the Epic was level front to back, diagonally, vertically, and every which way with equal weighting on each of the 4 feet and the lock washers tightened before I signed the paperwork and the installers could leave. I even made them run a rinse and spin cycle with 10 towels to check for vibration, etc. All was good. The Epic was very quiet; the drum was spinning on center. The installers left (rolling their eyes all the way - lol!).

The Epic is installed on a ceramic tile floor in a first floor laundry room over a basement. There never has been any vibration problems, even now. The thumps, squeaks, squeals, metal tappings, and drum wobbling issues started about 5 weeks ago and have been getting gradually worse until I concluded that this can't possibly be within normal operational limits.

I do not overload the washer. I fill it about 3/4 full, and after the water is added this compresses to slightly less than 1/2 full. Loads tumble nicely - but the drum wobbles and thumps, squeaks, and squeals.

To answer your questions...

1. This happens on every load, but is most noticeable on heavier loads such as towels or jeans.

2. It has increased drying times to about an hour and 15 minutes for heavier loads - this used to take 20 to 25 minutes (I still have a 7 year old Maytag Atlantis dryer that works fine).

3. The washer doesn't shake violently, but the drum wobbles all over the place (about 1.5 inches of play off center) and doesn't spin as fast as it used to - the loads are more wet than they used to be after the Epic's final spin.

I'm upset. I have teenagers and I NEED my washer to work!

Thank you for your help! I'm sorry you had a bad experience, too!

• luvmykelpie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I should also add that the Epic is actually my 3rd experience with a FL washer.

I had a Kenmore 42042 in my previous home, which worked well for the 2.5 years we had it until we sold the home. No wobble; no vibration or noise issues.

I have an LG Tromm 2487 (Love it! Love it! Love it!) in another home that I use on weekends and school breaks that also has no wobble, vibration, or noise issues.

(Long story short - we bought a home near my husband's elderly father in another Illinois town to help him deal with a serious illness. When we tried to transfer our kids to the local public high school, they wouldn't transfer some of my kids' honors high school math credits even though they were earned at a higher ranked Illinois public high school than the one my kids were transferring to. My kids and I live in the prior school district. My husband lives in the house near his father. We'll have to keep this split living arrangement until my youngest graduates in 2009.)

But this Epic, AARGGHHHH!

• matt.shaver
    16 years ago

Sounds like these Epic machines are quite the opposite. Personally I would suggest getting a technician to look at these machines. Perhaps there is an internal component that is not functioning quite right.

Honestly, it's quite strange that you're experiencing the same exact issue. If you can negotiate with HD to replace these machines with new ones, perhaps that might resolve the problems.

I wonder if there is not a larger issues here. Perhaps Whirlpool has a set of struts/shocks and springs that are defective. Personally I'm not waiting around to find out. I hope Lowe's can get a stock of Bosch machines as they are currently back ordered.

Keep me posted as to what you find out. I can only relate my experiences to you. However, I'll let you know what I think of the Bosh units when they arrive.

Thanks,
    Matt
    Spfld, IL.

• luvmykelpie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK - Repair tech was here and took the front bottom and top off the Epic to watch what was happening during a medium weight cycle.

The entire drum assembly cooperated by wobbling dramatically for the repair tech.

It only took a few seconds to diagnose the problem. Failed shock absorbers, which had then stretched out the springs. All will have to be replaced.

I've had this machine for less than 4 months. For the four of us, I average 7 to 8 loads of laundry per week - nothing out of the ordinary: clothes, towels, and sheets.

Since Matt has already had the same problem with his Duet, my vote is on a bad batch of shocks at the factory.

How aggravating! I hope this hasn't caused any latent damage that I'm going to find out about when the Epic is out of warranty.

The parts are supposed to be replaced next Monday. We'll see.

Bummer!

• luvmykelpie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This may have been overlooked (dropped too far down), but my Epic's drum wobble, thumping, spring squeaking, and high speed spin squealing have been diagnosed as a failure of the 6-point suspension system.

I've had my Epic for less than 4 months. It needs 4 new shock absorbers and 2 new springs (springs were stretched because of the failed shocks). The tech was baffled. He checked the installation, and everything was fine (level, weight equal on all 4 feet, etc.). He doesn't know why the suspension system was in such bad shape. He guessed the shocks from the factory were bad right from the start.

Matt had a similar problem with a Duet (Epic and HE_t sister machine) that was acquired around the same time, ~ 4 months ago.

My Epic was supposed to be repaired on Monday, but the parts were never delivered - so, we'll see. 8(

• matt.shaver
    16 years ago

I just wanted to update everyone as to the situation. My mom has a Kenmore H5T top of the line and she has no issues whatsoever. I explained what it was doing to her and she said her machine runs as quiet as can and never spins off center.

I do have to chalk it up to a bad batch of suspension parts. Fortunately Lowe's is giving me a credit and I ended up choosing the Bosch 500 Nexxt Plus W/D . I hate that I'm going to lose stacking capabilities, but oh well.

I'll let you know how the Bosch works out.

Matt
    Spfld, IL.

• luvmykelpie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I finally received the replacement shocks and springs for my Epic late last week, and the repair tech was scheduled for 8-12 yesterday morning.

Well, that didn't happen. First, I was pushed off until 4:30 pm. Then, when that came and went I called A&E repair at 6:30 pm to find out what happened to my service tech. A&E dispatch called the service tech who then called me and wanted me to reschedule for another day.

No way will I be rescheduled again and have to wait around all day for another no show. I told him I wanted someone there that day to fix this machine.

The tech finally gets to my house at 7:30 pm and replaces the parts. Great.

I am just now running a load of towels during my lunch break to try it out.

The Epic manual's suggested load size:

10 bath towels
    10 hand towels
    14 washcloths

My current load is:

4 bath towels
    1 hand towel
    4 wash cloths
    4 pillow cases

With the replacement suspension parts, I'm still getting the wobbling and thumping - though slightly less than before the repair. I anticipate that this will worsen with time, just as before.

There's no way I could load this machine with what the manual suggests. The drum would wobble so far out of center that it would bottom out much harder (the thumping) when the clothes tumble and the drum would swing so far horizontally when spinning up or down that it would bounce back and forth off the inner sides of the machine.

My Epic only runs well (no wobbling, thumping, squeaky springs) when there is nearly nothing in it.

This is awful! I'm a little over a month past Home Depot's return period.

What are my best options at this point?

• srswirl
    16 years ago

If, after having replaced the entire suspension system, you are still having the drum literally wobble and there is still a metal against metal sound, I would have the repair guy pull the basket. It sounds to me as if one leg of the spider has either come unwelded or has broken.

• luvmykelpie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks srswirl!

Which part are you talking about on the following linked parts list?

Here is a link that might be useful: Maytag Epic MFW9700SQ1 parts list

• srswirl
    16 years ago

Look at page 9, part #11. That's the tub/basket. Unfortunately, the schematic does not show the part called the spider which connects the rear of the basket to the shaft. Usually the spider has three arms that spread to the outer edges of the basket and are attached to the basket. Based on your description of the problem even after the suspension repair, it sounds like one of these arms may have come loose or be broken.

• luvmykelpie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for your help with this, srswirl!

When the repair tech had the top panel off the machine to see what was going wrong, the entire white plastic outer tub/stainless steel drum/motor assembly appears to float around as one unit suspended by two springs and supported by the four shocks. It's this entire assembly that is swinging and bouncing around, not just the inner stainless steel drum.

The outer white tub is what is hitting the bottom and sides of the machine. The drum remains cenetered in the tub while the tub is bouncing and swinging.

Does this indicate a problem with the spider? I want to know exactly what to tell Maytag when I call to tell them I'm still having a problem with my Epic.

Thanks!

• dadoes
    16 years ago

If the spider is broken or cracked, the inner basket will be shifted off-center and cause the exact same effect as an off-balance load ... but you can't rearrange the load to balance it.

• luvmykelpie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's the thing. It's not just the inner basket. The entire motor/tub/basket assembly is suspended by the two springs and supported by the four shocks. The entire assembly wobbles, bounces, and swings back and forth.

When the repair tech had the top panel off, he could easily push the entire assembly so that it touched either side panel of the machine. Replacing the springs and shocks made this movement slightly more difficult, but not by much.

I asked if it was supposed to be that way, and he said he didn't know.

Is the Epic supposed to work this way?

Thanks!

• srswirl
    16 years ago

I was going by this comment you made in your initial posts:

"3. The washer doesn't shake violently, but the drum wobbles all over the place (about 1.5 inches of play off center) and doesn't spin as fast as it used to - the loads are more wet than they used to be after the Epic's final spin."

Based on your comment today, I would say it is not the spider. When you talked about the drum being "off center" it made me think of a possible broken spider.

1.5 inches of play in the entire basket/outter drum assembly would be very normal. However, you're describing something MUCH more than 1.5 inches of play. If the whole drum assembly can physically hit the sides of the machine, AND bottom out with relative ease, there is something seriously wrong with the suspension. Yes...an extremely off-balance load could cause this...but the off-balance sensor should prevent such an extreme off-balance condition. If both springs and all four shocks have been replaced and this is still happening, perhaps the support bars for the springs are seriously misaligned or bent. Not sure. If it also still cannot achieve full spin speed, something about the suspension is still not right...and/or the off-balance sensor is malfunctioning.

• dadoes
    16 years ago

It's normal for the drum assembly to strike the sides of the cabinet if pushed to extremes. Any toploader will do that as well. The point of off-balance sensors is to *prevent* that from happening by stopping the spin or reducing the speed *before* the oscillations get that bad. Not all toploaders have off-balance sensors. Those that don't can continue to spin in a severe off-balance condition and end up "walking" to the limit of the hoses, or until the machine pulls it's own power cord from the outlet. Frontloaders nowadays all have off-balance sensors.

From your description, your tub does not actually hit the cabinet during normal spin operation, but it does oscillate. Some degree of oscillation is normal, it's virtually impossible to *perfectly* balance a load during spin. If the oscillations have gotten worse, it could be normal wear-in on the suspension. However, sounds like it gone further than that, since the spin isn't even reaching full-speed. It also shouldn't be all that easy on a frontloader to manually push the tub assembly to the extremes of hitting the cabinet. If it's that loose, then something is wrong. My Fisher & Paykel toploader has very loose tub suspension *by design* but that's an entirely different situation from a frontloader.

• luvmykelpie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The tub also hits something in the bottom when it bounces up and down while it's tumbling. That is what's making the thumping sound. This whole process of bouncing and swinging is pulling and stretching the boot. Who knows when that's going to give.

The only time my Epic runs well is when there's nothing in it. It's a thing of beauty, then. But as soon as I try to wash anything in it, the tub bounces and swings all over the place.

I have another service appointment for tomorrow morning, 8-12. I spoke to Maytag after the last service tech said that the new suspension parts he installed was not going to fix the problem and I would have to call Maytag for information on how to proceed. He was right.

Maytag wants tomorrow's service tech (it's never the same tech) to call Maytag's engineering department directly while he's with the machine to see if they can fix it.

The problem I'm having with my Epic is exactly the same problem that Matt experienced with a Duet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Whirlpool Duet Issues...

• luvmykelpie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK...

The service tech was here. Maytag declared my Epic unrepairable and the tech has given me a service slip authorizing a replacement.

I'm supposed to take the service slip to Home Depot and get them to swap out my Epic for a new one.

Will Home Depot go along with that?

Also, is there anyone here that is happy with their Epic and not having any of the problems I've described?

I loved this washer when it was working well and would have no problem taking a new one if it did not have the same problems.

Thanks for your help!

• momof2kids
    16 years ago

Yes HD is great.......did you purchase the Extended warranty?
    if so no worries look up the warranty and it reads that replacement if cannot be fixed.

• momof2kids
    16 years ago

and by the way I bought the Maytag Epic and Love it!
    I had the LG and the circuit board went in 4 months and discussed issues I had with the LG and HD took them back and thus I picked up the Maytags and so far so good and Love Them!

• luvmykelpie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No, I didn't purchase the extended warranty because we will be selling this home after my youngest graduates high school.

The Epic was supposed to be a selling point - HA!

I loved it, too, until it started wobbling.

Home Depot would not exchange the Epic (At 4 months, I'm beyond the 90 day return period). Maytag is handling it, so who knows when I'll get the replacement. And who knows what I'll get - new or refurbished/repaired?

• luvmykelpie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I haven't been able to get anywhere with Maytag replacing my Epic. They keep saying the service tech has to call this in to Maytag's technical line; the service tech has already done this twice. Maytag claims they do not have any record of this.

I have a service receipt declaring my Epic unrepairable.

Please give me a better way of getting this resolved besides being continually brushed off by Maytag. I'm desperate and tired of wasting time with Maytag's incompetence!

• luvmykelpie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, it just keeps getting better, NOT!

The latest edict from Maytag is that I now have to take the day off work tomorrow, and wait for a repair tech from a different warranty service center (that will not give me an appointment time frame other than 8 am to 6 pm) so that Maytag can have a second opinion as to whether or not my Epic is repairable.

Anyone have any better ideas? This stinks!!!!!

• matt.shaver
    16 years ago

Hey I'd get ahold of your original tech and get some documentation from him. Furthermore, he should have a date/time that he discussed these issues with Maytag.

I know when I had issues, Lowe's wanted a second guy to take a look for a second opinion. However, after talking to corporate, they relented and gave me store credit...which that is how I got the Bosch W/D set.

Keep me posted on this.
    Matt
    Spfld, IL.

• luvmykelpie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No wonder Maytag wanted a second opinion...

According to the service tech that was out today, his wife has the same machine and it does the same thing (wobbles, thumps, squeaks, squeals, and taps). It's supposed to work like this (rolls eyes). Oh, and it isn't supposed to spin up to full speed when the tub assembly moves around too much (no kidding!). And, you're not supposed to load aywhere near as much laundry in it as the Maytag Epic Owner's Manual suggests.

This tech also claims that the metal tapping noise is the motor adjusting speed and it's supposed to sound that way.

I asked him why my Epic did not do any of these things for the first 2.5 months I had it. His answer...

It wasn't broken in yet.

No new machine for me. They did agree to replace the control board claiming that my Epic might run better with a replaced control board.

This stinks!

• mc_hudd
    16 years ago

I think I would contact Maytag again & tell them what the service guy told you... but don't be nice about it. This is ridiculous! I feel your pain, I hate how nowadays you can't trust anybody, they're only out to screw you out of money.

I purchased the Epic 9600 in August & had to have it held @ Sears until our "new to us" place we got was ready. Well, I just got it on the 10th & so far I haven't heard any of these noises that you are describing (keeping fingers crossed that I never do!). I would "fib" a little bit when you call Maytag and tell them that you have a relative or a friend that has the exact same machine & theirs doesn't make those noises... I really doubt they'd check something like that out. You might even try to talk to HD again & see if anyone there could help you out... Couldn't hurt to try.

Good luck!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County