Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matt_shaver_gw

Whirlpool Duet Issues...

matt.shaver
16 years ago

I took delivery of a new Whirlpool Duet set on July 20th from Lowes and purchased the 5 year extended service plan on top for each appliance. Since then, I have had the dryer replaced once due to long drying times.

I have noticed something about the washer that is a little disturbing to me. When it spins and ramps up to the highest RPM, the tub wobbles left to right and sometimes diagonally at like 11 and 4 o'clock. This does work itself out when it gets up to high speeds, but it does make a knocking sound for a few moments and then once it's at high speed it seems to be OK and no longer makes the sound until it comes out of high spin.

It does this no matter what I have in the washer and what speed and/or cycle. I am using HE detergent in powder form, 1/2 of of the cup for a full load. At first I thought it was my imagination, but it is not. I've checked the leveling with a level on all sides and it is a level machine...period and they are installed on a concrete slab.

On a different note, which I am unhappy already about the washer. The dryer just will not dry. A load of darks which is 5 t-shirts, two pair of shorts, 8 pair dark colored boxers, 1 pair of girls kacki pants, 2 pair of socks and two pair of cotton lounging pants takes over an hour and fifteen minutes to dry and the waist bands of the pants and underwear were damp. This is really bad in my opinion.

I have a brand new vent system that is not flex going straight to the wall from the vent, two bends.

Overall I'm very dissapointed with this set. After all the cash I put out, you'd think that a washer (on concrete) would not wobble like this and the dryer would really dry without taking so much time.

Has anyone had any experience with Lowes? I'd like to exchange this set for a Bosh 500 set, ones that really wanted but did not stack. I can give up my little table for a W/D set that actually washes and dries. I think I'll call my representative at Lowes and see what they will do. I'm really not happy with them.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated....

Comments (32)

• premier
    16 years ago

You can try asking to return them but most stores won't allow a return after this length of time. That is a very long time for that load of clothes to dry. How wet are the clothes when they come out of the washer? Mine on my LG are not wet and feel fairly dry. 15-20 minutes in a dryer for that type of load is all it takes for me. Just wondering if the drying problem has to do with the washer.

Not really sure what you mean about the tub wobbling but I thought someone posted something about their drum coming off. You should call service about this wobbling.

Do you like the washer in other respects?

• matt.shaver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Premier,

The clothes coming out of the washer are damp. Not as damp as my first set of Duets which I think had 1200 RPM spin cycle, this has 1100. The cleaning is good but the thumping is really bad until you get into the higher bracket of the spin cycle. Now I just got done with a load of sheets, it contained: 1 queen set with six pillow cases and one twin set and one pillow case and the thumping was very obnoxious at all speeds.

This is my second Whirlpool dryer that is stacked and I don't know if I'm expecting to much from it or what.

Now the tub, while getting up to spin, wants to shift (maybe that's a better word than wobble) left to right as always and sometimes shifts at like 11 and 4 o'clock like hands on a clock.

I cannot remember what Lowes return policy, which I'm probably out of date on it, figures! I should had gone with my gut and got the Bosch 500s instead...but I thought Whirlpool was still good.

• premier
    16 years ago

The washer should not be thumping. My LG is so quiet. That is not right. You shouldn't have that thumping. I guess when you say "damp" that would be wetter than mine. I don't know how this really works but even when I use a medium spin, my clothes come out basically dry. I think that is why it takes so little time to dry.

You have had the dryer swapped out already and this dryer still has way to long of a dry time. I could get those sheets done in 15-20 minutes. All my dry times are like that. Even when I dry king and queen plump comforters. Only if I do a huge load of thick towels will it take 20-30 minutes. This new dryer is not right either.

I would certainly give it a try and complain to the store manager. You won't get far with people under him. No matter how many people told me NO when I insisted on dealing with the store manager, he always said yes.

Its not an issue of you simply changing your mind. Two dryers that take forever to dry? Your washer thumping? For the money you paid you should not have to deal with this.

• matt.shaver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Premier,

Thanks I agree. I'm planning on calling Lowes and I checked their site as everyone has 90 days to be fully satisfied. I'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks again.

• premier
    16 years ago

Good luck

• plumbly22
    16 years ago

You're really close (maybe over?) your 90 days... but you did already have 'issues' so I'm thinking they may cut you some slack...

I have the bosch set, and will admit that once in a while I get s short "noise" issue when it starts to spin... but only for a couple of seconds until it sorts itself out and then goes at it... and this is in the center of the house on the second floor of a 2x4 stick built house with a full basement... (so it's 3 floors up)....

good luck with lowes...

what are your problems with the washer??? other than the spin???

• laundrytech
    16 years ago

make sure the feet are actually locked in place...level does not mean the feet are locked. also you should level the machine to the high speed spin...1/2 cup of dry detergent is too much for HE use half of what is recommended..dont think its too much put clothes in and no detergent...now watch suds appear...your vent on on dryer maybe new, but what about the vent in the wall to the outside? remember with this new fl machine the washer rings out more water, so your dryer does not have to heat at high, long or have a better airflow as that of top load machines...i would at least try a service tech first to see if the issue is with ur home or machine....dont make sense to get a new machine and the same problems occur

• matt.shaver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well we have answers to the reason why the Duets are not working correctly. The dryer had a clogged lint duct on the outside of the home. While I checked everything from the dryer to the vent duct, but not from the outside. Once cleared of lint from the previous owners, it was working.

The washer is a little more complicated. He did notice the tub shifted not matter how many towels we put into the washer. He looked under the unit with the front panel removed, nothing. Once he looked in the back, it was a completely different story. It appears that part of the rear counter-balance, which is made of concrete, it missing. WHAT you say? Missing?!? Yes, after looking at the Whirlpool schematic, part is missing. It is little wonder why the tub shifts.

He decided to order the counter-balance as well as shocks and springs. He would like to put in a new suspension system that will work with the new counter-balance.

The parts will be here in five days and he'll be back here next Tuesday. He was very thorough with his investigation. I was very pleased with A & E service technicians.

I'll let you know what happens next.
    MTS
    Spfld, IL.

• dadoes
    16 years ago

Whenever it is suggested here to check the vent duct for clogs, the meaning is to check it all the way from inside the house to the end outside. Not just part way from one direction.

• premier
    16 years ago

Good that you got such quick service. I don't understand how the washer worked with this part missing. Oh well. It is normally suggested when you purchase a new dryer to install a new vent. You should also clean the entire vent once a year. Birds like to build nests in there.

• luvmylg
    16 years ago

laundrytech I think he meant "half of the cup" supplied w/the HE powder, not "half a cup" (measuring cup) of detergent.

• matt.shaver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dear All,

I did mean that I use 1/2 of the cup that Sears puts into their detergent. I only go more if I'm washing towels or comforters or white that are a little more dirty than usual.

The washer has never spun in center, even when empty. He spun it yesterday several times and noticed how off it was. Then we threw about 6 towels and he was very unhappy with the results. The tub began shifting left to right even more. I guess my question is, where is the other piece of concrete and how did it get past inspection in Germany.

But at least we found the issue and he said that it is a possibility that the struts and springs will need to be replaced too since they may be showing signs of wear from the counter-balance not working correctly.

But I certainly have learned about venting and although I did put in a new vent from the dryer to the wall and cleaned down there. I had no way of knowing lint could blow all the way through. WOW!

So now, at least until he returns, I have to go to the laundry mat...do they still have them? LOL.

MTS,
    Spfld, IL.

• greenleaffaerie
    16 years ago

I'm very pleased with my Duet washer and dryer both. I'm very glad that you finally got some answers. We had excellent installation people who were very knowledgeable and have not had a single problem.

• matt.shaver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey all here's an update. A/E came out Wednesday to put the new counter balance into place. The last service tech thought a piece of the balance was missing and that would allow the tub to shift left to right when spinning.

New piece in and he noticed the lock washers were not locked into the base of the washer nor was the dryer stacked and installed properly. The service tech spent the better part of the day reinstalling the units with what he had to work with.

Now I had a great deal of laundry to complete and again, the shifting is occuring. I don't know how to describe it but when washing it's OK. The tub shifts with the load as it's tumbled.

Yet, the pump comes on, drains the water and the tub begins spinning clock and counter-clockwise. As it ramps up speed, you can begin to see the tub starting to spin off-center and it begins to shift left and right while spinning.

Then, during the ramp up, you can hear is begin to pull on the rubber seal, making what I call the "flap" sound. Sometimes it stops and sometimes it does not. If it stops, it will attempt to redistribute the load.

If it decides to spin up, the flapping will continue into what I can only describe as thumping because the rubber seal is rumbling to and fro during the spinning cycle.

Does anyone have same issue. This happens no matter how small or large the load is. I'm about ready to give Lowes a piece of my mind!! I'd like them to take this entire set back and give me the Bosch units...what a waste.

Again, these are Whirlpool SQ9200 units. Thoughts?

MTS
    Spfld, IL.

• iasheff
    16 years ago

I happen to being doing a heavy load of towels in my Duet right now. The tub is spinning right on center-- as far as I can tell. I can't hear any thumping or flapping at all.

I don't know if this helps you but at least it lets you know that not all Duets have that problem (I have had mine for over 5 yrs)

Good luck! I know how frustrating it is.

• matt.shaver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This is very very frustrating. What I suspect is that since the Lowes guys did not set it up right and I've used it, I figure that it shifted so much that it might be ruined. I might call Lowes and see what we can work out. I doubt very much they will help as they just don't care. I did buy their extended service for 5 years and the A/E people have been here once on a service call.

Thoughts as to what I should do next? All I know is that it is spinning off center every time, period! The install was not done right at all and I'd personally like Lowes to say, we'll give you a new set.

Should I:

A; Call A/E again and have them come back out for a second visit.

B: Call Lowes and tell them what a pitiful install job they did and tell them that my one visit didn't resolve the issue. Request another set, which will not be a Whirlpool. Perhaps a Bosch Next 500 set

Thoughts?
    Matt
    Spfld, IL.

• iasheff
    16 years ago

If it were me.... since you are so unhappy with it, I'd go to Lowe's. I wouldn't call them though. I would go in person and speak to the manager personally-- let him know what you have been going through. Ask him what your options are since you are so displeased with this washer. Hopefully, he will give you some choices-- including one that will make you happy. It is so much easier for them to blow you off on the phone. I have been much more successful in person whenever I have had any customer service issue. I think it is a lot harder to say NO in person :)

If that fails, call A/E again... and again... and again until it is working to your satisfaction-- or they go to bat for you on having it replaced.

Keri

• matt.shaver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Keri,

Thanks. I called the lady who sold me the set and she said come in and talk. I'm going to go into Lowe's tomorrow. I did buy their extended warranty and they were happy to take my money, now let's see how they are at backing up on that promise.

I am so very unhappy but I'll let you know what I find out tomorrow. Hopefully they will be in a giving mood. LOL.

Matt :-)
    Spfld, IL.

• iasheff
    16 years ago

Keep us posted! I will be interested in hearing what happens!

• crooks101
    16 years ago

It has to be something wrong with your unit. My Kenmore HE5t Duet equivalent is for most loads vibration free during spin or wash. And I had two different Miels(W4840 and W4800) in same location and they shook the 2nd floor. So I have just average 2nd floor installation.

I would ask for a new unit.

• patches123
    16 years ago

Lowes can exchange it either for new duets or the bosch. You will need to talk with the store manager to get it approved. Best wishes!

• matt.shaver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dear All,

I went to Lowe's today and discussed the issues with both washer and dryer with the associate from whom I purchased. We talked and she was very pleasant and sympathetic to my needs. I explained the whole issue as I mentioned above and she said that's just not right, sounds defective. My thoughts too.

She gave me the name and number of a Whirlpool certified technician in town who works on all Whirlpools, this is not A/E as earlier. She said have them come out and look at the unit to attempt repair. Furthermore, if after this repair (to which she needs a second opinion) that I am unsatisfied, she would replace the set with whatever I'd like.

I'm going to call the gentleman tomorrow. But I'm puzzled as I told my friend yesterday and he witnessed the same thing I did.

I'm curious, those who have Whirlpool's does the tub shift left to right when ramping up to spin so much so that you hear a flapping sound from the rubber seal? Then when it goes into full speed, do you hear that rubber seal flap so hard and fast it becomes a loud thumping sound?

Again, this is constant not random. It does not matter the quantity nor the contents of the load. This happens all the time.

Thoughts?
    Matt
    Spfld, IL.

• iasheff
    16 years ago

Matt,
    I think they have taken the first step in satisfying you. If the certified repairman hears your concerns, he may know exactly what the problem is. Hopefully, you will know very soon what will happen!

Keep us posted.
    Keri

BTW, like I said earlier, mine seems to be on center all the time. I can see the front edge of the tub through the window as the washer is running and it stays right on. You can see it moving but it says on center.

• matt.shaver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Keri,

I'll be interested as to what the second tech will say. Although the Lowe's associate that she felt it's defective but needs a second opinion. I'm excited as she told me if after the second opinion I'm not happy, I get a new set. They are so pleasant to work with! I recommend her to be the new CEO. LOL.

Matt
    Spfld, IL.

• matt.shaver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

To my surprise, Lowe's call me this morning and offered a credit toward the purchase of either a replaement Whirlpool Duet or whatever I'd like. I'm looking at the Bosch Next 500 plus series W/D.

Hopefully to have an answer by Friday. I'm pleased with customer support from Lowe's...WOW, I was very surprised.

Matt
    Spfld, IL.

• honeysuckle_a2
    16 years ago

I am having mold/mildew/odor problems with my FL whirlpool duet! I have followed mfg instructions...clean regularly, use bleach, only use HE detergent (Tide liquid), never used fabric softners, leave door open and I still have issues. My machine is 3 years old..and is now creating health issues for my family as we are all being treated for mold allergies. When I called Whirlpool with my concerns they emailed me updated cleaning instructions to remove/prevent odors and sent me a complimentary package of the AFFRESH product. The product directions indicate to use 1 tablet per month in a HOT WATER/NORMAL CYCLE; if your machine has significant build up it recommends using all 3 tablets at once. I did this with no significant results. In addition I ran 2 HOT water/BLEACH cycles with no success. The mold/mildew still remain and the odor returned within 24 hours.
    Whirlpool states that the more frequently you machine is used, the more maintenance that will be required. I do about 3-4 loads of laundry/day. They recommend that run a bleach cycle at the end of every day and dry all components of the washer at the end of every day. I do not have to do this for my dishwasher. It's like telling someone that they have to wash/dry their car every day before driving it the next. I am a very meticulous house cleaner and feel that these daily maintence routines are absurd for a "high" performance machine that is costly.

I am still attempting to get this issue resovlved through Whirlpool. In the interim I have logged complaints with the Consumer Product Safety Commmission (cpsc.gov); the state attorney generals office and am seeking legal advice. I encourage others to do the same. Whirlpool knows that these issues are serious and yet do not seem to be proactive in protecting the safety of their consumers.

• iasheff
    16 years ago

Glad to hear it! Are they offering 100% credit?

Lowe's knows how to get repeat customers!!

• chan123
    16 years ago

i just took delivery of my washer and dryer duet and its awesome/ so quiet and no thumping and everything works awesome. before i bought iw as scared of the washer shaking but its so quiet. the lg was nice but i got the $1400 each washer and dryers for around $900 each after all rebates and price matching so much cheaper than the lg

• baj18_yahoo_com
    16 years ago

I would never advocate lyingÂbut, I also had the Whirlpool Duet Washer up until about one year ago. I was frustrated and felt "stuck". I didnÂt want to sell the washer and pass on my problem to some other poor soul. And the dang washer was sooo expensive I couldnÂt just junk it and buy a new one.
    SoÂfinally I called Whirlpool (again) and stated that "my son had allergies and asthma. He had been in and out of the hospital twice over the past two years". (This is all true.) I then explained that having a washing machine that has a mold problem was unacceptable, bottom line. They instantly transferred me to another department, set up a FULL REFUND for the washer at WHATEVER price I said I paid for it. I no longer had the receipt so I had to guess. They instantly accepted my refund price which was around $950. ALSO they contacted a local service company to come in and remove my Duet washer at no cost to me.
    I finally had to threaten with health issues and they responded NO QUESTIONS asked. They had a check to me and my washer removed within ONE WEEK.
    Again I DO NOT advocate dishonesty but anyone wearing clothes that have essentially been washed in moldÂit canÂt be healthy for anyone. And $1000Âwhich is about what you pay for the "convenience" of the washer is to much $ to throw away, at least for our family of seven.

Hope this helps,

Beth

• sparky823
    16 years ago

Beth: What did you replace the Duet with? Any problems with it?

• laundrytech
    16 years ago

all front load washers have the mold issue. if the mold issue iw significant it has nothing to do with the brand it is the rubber material which is mold resistant, and used by all the FL mfg'rs. the material is actually the same. I hear the Affresh works really well but you ahve to use all 3 tablets the 1st time, and then once monthly. Also I have seen if you use too much HE detergent (use half of recommended amount), non-HE, powder detergents, fabric softners (liquid/powder) will make the issue worst. After each use you should wipe the rubber boot/seal down with vinger/water solution and the glass. Again regardless of BRAND!

• iasheff
    16 years ago

Laundrytech--

I think that LIQUID detergent is more likely to cause problems than POWDER detergents. The liquid detergents are known to cause more of a build-up. I don't know of anyone that has had build-up from powder detergent!

I use powder detergent, oxygen cleaner as a bleach alternative (I also add it to all loads with my kids' clothing in it to catch any stains that only kids get into!), and vinegar when I need to use fabric softener. I do not wipe my boot down after each use. The only thing I do is throw a hand towel over the door so that it doesn't shut tightly. I have had my FL over 5 years-- without any mold problems but I did have a build-up problem when I used liquid Tide HE detergent. The build-up problem is non-existent since switching to powder detergent. I think the build-up is one of the front-runners to having a mold problem!