Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boxiebabe

we need a great top load washing machine and great electric dryer

boxiebabe
15 years ago

Do you have a GREAT top load washing machine and GREAT electric dryer?

If so, please tell me all about it!

Brand

Model

Price

Where purchased

What you like about it/them

I do a ton of laundry! For only having 2 people in the house, you would think I wouldn't, but I must do at least 15 loads per week. Our old Kenmores just can't seem to take the abuse any longer, so we're in the market for a new set. Because I am tall AND have a bad back, the front load washer won't work for me, even with the pedestals (which by the way, I have read make the washing machine noise increased).

I have a subscription to Consumer Reports online, and I could read other website reviews, but you GW'ers seem to know much more and I've come to trust y'all! ;-)

So please tell me all about what you have and why you like it.

Many thanks,

Boxie

Comments (35)

• qtpidani
    15 years ago

I've been doing a ton of research on regular 'ol TL washers and from what I've read, you can't go wrong with a Whirlpool.

• friedajune
    15 years ago

Boxiebabe - don't know if you've seen these threads, but if not, I'll link them:

Which washer is better for your back?

Best TL - no agitator

• boxiebabe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've heard the same thing about Whirlpools.

I had done a search before posting this, and came up with one of those (which I read), but didn't hit the other one.

Thanks to both of you for the input!

• angelic_one2002
    15 years ago

I LOVE my Maytag top loader! I bought it in March of this year, and wouldn't buy anything else. I dont know the model number offhand, but it is a top loader we bought at Sears. It was 500.00. I like it because it washes clothes like none other I have owned, and I previousely owned a Kenmore top loader, and a Speed Queen.

• boxiebabe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

angelic: If it is not too much trouble, can you get the model # off yours? That way I am sure to look at it in my "investigation"! :)

• mara_2008
    15 years ago

BRAND: Maytag Bravos (I got the washer/dryer set)
    MODEL: Washer - MTW6700 Dryer - MTW6400
    PRICE:

Got them on sale - about $1600 for the pair BEFORE rebates b/c they were on sale (Maytag offers ongoing rebates, so we also got a 2-year supply of Tide HE detergent and $100 back, PLUS Home Depot rebates - got delivery charge back and got a $225 gift card)
    WHERE PURCHASED: Home Depot

WHAT YOU LIKE ABOUT THEM:

Washer: Everything! You mentioned washing for a large family; I do too. The washer capacity is 4.6 cu ft (largest on the market); it has no agitator which means I can wash king-size comforters, sleeping bags, etc; the settings are extremely easy to use; I like having many cycles, including Soak, Hand Wash, Bulky, Whites, Jeans/Colors, plus others; it uses far less water and energy than my old traditional toploading washers; and it spins laundry so well, it's not nearly as wet as it used to be when I put it into the dryer - unless I use the slow spin, as I do for delicates.

Dryer: Big capacity! 7 cu ft. Settings are very easy to use, and I like being able to use Wrinkle Guard on any cycle. Laundry dries in MUCH less time; the dryer usually finishes BEFORE the washer, so I can unload the dryer and then put more laundry into the dryer.

Hope this helps.

We have seen a big drop in our electric bill since we got these appliances in May. I highly recomend them.

• boxiebabe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mara: WOW! Thank you so much for all the details in why you really like what you have. I will put the Maytag Bravos on my list of sets to seriously consider!

Boxie

• boxiebabe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was just on the net trying to check out the Maytag Bravo MTW6700. I usually use Epinions.com to check out appliances. When I typed in Maytag MTW6700, the link below is what came up. It's a Whirlpool MTW6700TQ.

I know that's not what mara has, but is Whirlpool and Maytag the same thing?

The one that came up had a very nice review written up on it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Whirlpool MTW6700TQ Top Load Washer

• dadoes
    15 years ago

That's an error on Epinions. However, Whirlpool and Maytag are pretty much the same. Whirlpool models are WTW. Maytag is MTW. Both brands currently offer a 6700T machine.

Also, it's Bravos, with an s. Whirlpool-equivalent models are called Cabrio. Kenmore-equivalent models are Oasis.

• mara_2008
    15 years ago

From all I've read - and I did lots of research, both IRL and online before we bought our Maytag Bravos set - the Maytag Bravos MTW6700 washer is better than the Whirlpool Cabrio and Kenmore Oasis (yes, I know they're all made by Whirlpool) simply by virtue of being the most recent machine; therefore, the bugs have been worked out. Several guys who are supposed to know, including repairmen, have told me this. Just thought I should throw this info out there for people who are shopping, as I was back in the spring.

• mara_2008
    15 years ago

The pp is right; the washer you linked is really a Maytag, not Whirlpool (though it's also made by Whirlpool).

I bought my washer at Home Depot, and they have a 10% rebate on Maytags right now. I've linked their webpage below because there are so many reviews there. Such reviews really helped me when I was shopping.

Also - check www.maytag.com for rebates. But IF you were to buy at Home Depot, you would need to use the rebate forms they provide, not the ones from the Maytag website. Just a word from the now-wiser, lol.

One further note: The Maytag Bravos dryer I bought (MED6400 - no steam) DOES come with the stationary (doesn't move) dryer rack for drying shoes/sweaters/etc, free of charge.

Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: See Maytag Bravos MTW6700 washer

• cynic
    15 years ago

I'm still trying to figure out how 2 people can generate over two loads of laundry per day!! Seriously, what is the deal?

If you do a lot, you might need to consider a different machine than if you do a lot of smaller loads. Are there any budget concerns?

From my research the top candidates in my opinion for a top loading machine are, in no particular order: Speed Queen, Whirlpool, Fisher & Paykal and GE Harmony. There's various models in the brands too so there's a lot of variety available.

I'm still using a 30 year old GE High Capacity top loader. Last year I bought a Whirlpool Gold 7.4 cu. ft dryer and it's unquestionably the best dryer I've ever owned. "Wrinkle Guard" that I seldom use, 5 heat settings which I usually just use high, end of cycle buzzer and light inside which I really like and the moisture sensors work properly. My old Frigidaire didn't work right and the OLD, OLD Maytag piece of garbage was of course prior to this technology.

Another idea since you have back issues is that F&P has a top loading dryer that many rave over. It's very expensive but compared to other higher end models, it's not that bad. It also has several very nice features, like a reverse tumble, top loading, a lint cup rather than a filter and like I said many people love them. Could be worth considering.

On the Cabrio/Oasis/Bravos models, they're essentially the same machine. Some have some features the others don't but to say one is better is simply not accurate. I'd like to hear some facts from the opionions of the people who supposedly are in the know to suggest otherwise. Normally it's just another opionion that is not based on fact.

If a heater is important to you, the Harmony and Oasis have them. I understand the Bravos is coming out with one and that should mean the Cabrio will have it shortly also.

I too have serious back issues but couldn't justify the expense of the F&P dryer (my Whilpool cost $300) so I made a platform to raise it about 14" and it's perfect for me. The hamper door works great for folding clothes right out of the dryer.

• mara_2008
    15 years ago

cynic, the guys I questioned about the Cabrio/Oasis/Bravos machines definitely seemed to be in the know, as most of them are repairmen and/or have worked with the machines. Everyone without fail told me that the Bravos model MTW6700 had had bugs from the earlier models worked out.

Also, as I researched the machines, I saw numerous complaints about the Cabrio and Oasis, but none about the Bravos.

I'm not saying Bravos is perfect. I'm not saying it's the be-all and end-all of washers. I'm just saying I didn't hear any negative reports about it but did hear many positive ones. And thus far, my experience with it has been a very positive one.

I agree about the hamper door on the dryer; my last dryer had one. So far I am very happy with my Bravos dryer - it has great features my last dryer didn't have - and the only feature I would change would be the door.

• appliance_researcher
    15 years ago

If one compares the majority of Oasis reviews to the majority of Bravos reviews, they will see that there is a BIG difference! And that based on the reviews of both machines, the fault lies with the Oasis and not the Bravos. And I would think it would be because of exactly what mara 2008 said, that the bugs were worked out by the time the Bravos hit stores.

Despite this, it is true that they and the Cabrio (which seems to get mixed reviews) are all the same machine. And I would hope by now that the bugs on the Oasis and Cabrio are worked out and that the Oasis HT is a much better machine than the original Oasis and Cabrio that debut almost three years ago. Just my 2 cents.

• linkay42
    15 years ago

I talked to 2 different sales people at HD and they said NOT to buy the Bravo that they keep getting them back..Remember they do not work on commission.

• mara_2008
    15 years ago

linkay42, does HD mean Home Depot? I bought my Maytag Bravos set at Home Depot and have had no problem with it at all. I read that the MTW6600 washer has a tendency to tangle laundry (although it seems a guy named Kevin posted here, saying his grandmother loves hers), which is why I bought the MTW6700 washer and recommend it. I've had no problems at all with mine.

I also wonder if installers are not installing them correctly, ir people are not reading the booklets thoroughly, or what. I would like to know what the returnees are saying about them. The reviews online and the ones I've heard IRL are overwhelmingly positive.

• appliance_researcher
    15 years ago

Hi!

The guy named Kevin would be me! :o) And my grandma does have the Bravos 6600. In our experience it is an excellent washer but does tangle things slightly unless you load the clothes in it carefully. However the tangling we witnessed is not at all anything to scream about. Nonetheless, I believe the 6700 model corrected that issue as Mara states.

But linkay42, I'll bet the salespeople said what they said because the Bravos 6600 did receive mixed reviews and many people were not satisfied with them. However, I do not see that dissatisfaction with the 6700 model as most to all of the reviews I've seen of them have been extremely positive.

All in all, if I were buying for myself, and had to choose b/w these 2 models, I would buy the 6700 model since the 6700 has any kinks the 6600 model had worked out.

Actually, if I were really buying today, I would wait a bit and buy the MVWB800V model that has the internal heater and is supposed to be hitting stores very soon! :o)

• linkay42
    15 years ago

Yes it meant Home Depot and it was the 6700 model

• appliance_researcher
    15 years ago

Wow that's kinda surprising to me but everybody had different experiences with a particular machine I guess even though the reviews might be good (or bad, for that matter) :o)

• boxiebabe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

With so many good reviews of the Bravos set, I went ahead and ordered them today. They'll be delivered on Saturday. I will follow up with a post in a month or so and let you all know what I think. My only concern is that I am afraid that they dryer won't fit in my space. I have a wash closet (ughhh.. I know. Believe me, I'd rather have a laundry ROOM, but we just don't). I am afraid that the depth may be a problem, but we just won't know for sure until they get here. Keep your fingers crossed for me! And thanks for all the input!

Boxie

• mara_2008
    15 years ago

The booklets which came with the Bravos washer/dryer tell how to load the laundry so that wrinkling is prevented. I've done that and have had no problem.

• jmkelly
    15 years ago

PLEASE HELP!!! mY HUSBAND & I have 5 children under 9 yrs. old. I do an INSANE AMOUNT of laundry! We moved to a new home in Fall '04 & got front-loading Whirlpool Duet Washer & Gas Dryer thinking they'd be able to handle larger loads and make our lives easier w/the laundry - WE COULDN'T HAVE BEEN MORE WRONG! THEY'RE A MONEY-PIT OF A NIGHTMARE!

I want to go back to a top loader and the MVWB700VQ has been recommended. That is the newer model of the MTW6700 referenced in the reviews on this page. I am told the only difference is that the newer model has a slower closing lid to avoid banging on fingers (i.e. - children...whom I don't want touching my washer anyway!). I can purchase either model - my question: is the lid on the older model that bad that I should pay more and upgrade for the fancy new lid?

I looked on Consumer Reports and left more confused than I went into that website! Between what the site said and the users reviewed everything varied so widely that I really couldn't determine what would be a good product for our family based on the overall information. I read your reviews and you all seem so thoughtful & honest. I stumbled on this website from a web search and was so impressed I decided to join. Please give feedback and let me know if you can recommend a durable, reliable washer that can handle an insane amount of laundry w/o breaking down and costing me a fortune every time I turn around. Also, I see some of you purchased from Home Depot, do they have extended service plans? Are they good or should I purchase the extended plan direct from the manufacturer?

Any advice would be SO GREATLY APPRECIATED =)

• appliance_researcher
    15 years ago

HI jmkelly! :o)

In my opinion, you're best bet is to get the Bravos MVWB800VQ model because that model has the built-in heater. I had a machine with a built-in heater (Danby) and another one without (Maytag compact FL) and I feel that the favor definitely goes to the one with the heater in terms of cleaning performance! I had old stains that I though would never come out on some clothes and they did when I washed them in my Danby when I would crank up the heater in it, sometimes without any pre-treatment! I ALWAYS have to pretreat any stain when washing in my Maytag 2400 FL and sometimes the stain STILL does not come out.

As for the lids on both models, I don't think that should be an issue you need to worry about for either machine, at least in my experience.

And based on what you are describing of your family, in terms of capacity the Bravos will very much suit your needs as it is the largest capacity washer on the market as of today. My grandmother has the older Bravos 6600 model and even that holds a TON of clothes!

And I've seen some reviews of the newer version of the Bravos with the built-in heater and so far they are glowing!!

Another machine to consider is the GE Harmony, which is also an HE TL, has a built-in heater and also holds an ENORMOUS amount of clothes. We use the Harmony in the classroom I work in and it is wonderful!

And as far as extended service plans, Home Depot offers a 4 year plan that covers everything as far as I know. I bought one along with the Amana refrigerator that I got for my grandmother for Christmas. Honestly, I did not research it as much as I should have but I knew I wanted to get an extended service plan for ANY appliance that I was to purchase nowadays.

But if I were shopping for a washer today, I would want to buy at Lowe's because I have heard mostly positive experiences from shoppers from Lowe's and I myself had a bad experience with Home Depot in the past but had no choice to shop at HD this time because they were the only ones who had this fridge (of course I found out later I could have the same fridge in Whirlpool format at Lowe's.......oh well!)

Anyhoo, I do hope this info helps! Let us know what you decide to purchase! :o)

Here is a link that might be useful: Maytag Bravos MVWB800VQ at Lowe's

• boxiebabe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ooops... guess I was remiss on posting after a month or so of using our Maytag BRAVOS washer (MTW6700TQ) and electric dryer (MED6400TQ) for which we paid Home Depot a total of $1529, plus we got various rebates from Home Depot and from our state's various governmental agencies for energy star.

I was emailed privately a couple of weeks ago by someone from GW asking me how I liked them, after having some time to use them. Rather than typing it all out again, here's a cut and paste from the email I sent to him:

I would not purchase them if I had it to do over again. There's a terrible problem with the washer REALLY wrinkling (note: and tangling) the clothes. I've loaded according to direction, used only Tide HE, and even went so far as to call Maytag's customer service. As far as their customer service goes, that was a joke too. I didn't get the feeling that I was speaking to any Maytag expert at all - rather some customer service call center that answers for anything from Maytag to Charmin toilet paper. All she did was read the owners manual to me, which of course, I already did. I told her "so I am just stuck with $1500 worth of washer and dryer with no recourse is what you're telling me?". I also asked if I could speak to someone that actually works for Maytag. I was told "no".

So, there you go. The dryer works great. The washer is junk. I've learned to work with it, and have found things that help (marginally) but I wouldn't recommend your purchasing the pair.

In re-reading my email, I guess I was a little harsh about my opinion, but it still stands. The washer wrinkles and tangles no matter how I load the clothes. I remember reading on here from one poster warning that the washer did that, but there were so many GOOD reviews I ignored that poster. In hindsight I wish I would've listened to her.

Maybe one of you all on this thread can tell me how to avoid this tangling and wrinkling, I can only hope. But I have read the manual, done what it tells me to do, loaded clothes/towels in small heaps around the center as directed, and I STILL come out with a wrinkled mess.

I have learned to shake each piece of laundry THREE times before throwing it into the dryer, and this helps some, but not all. Perhaps if I shake it 4 or 5 times it will come out wrinkle free, but 3 shakes is my limit. LOL

As far as the lid on the washer goes, I haven't smashed my fingers (yet).

As far as who to buy from - I have a great deal of experience purchasing appliances from Home Depot. I have one experience purchasing appliances from Lowes. I will ONLY buy from LOWES from this point forward.

Boxie

• blairgirl
    15 years ago

To Boxiebabe - I bought a Maytag Centennial washer several weeks ago, and ya know, I've got the same problem. Everything is twisted like crazy, and has to be shaken out before being put in the dryer. What's up with that?

• mark40511
    15 years ago

I'd love to see the Maytag Bravos in action. If anyone can make a video of it washing a KING comforter, Id LOVE to see that!

• schutzhund
    15 years ago

Boxie,

What spin speed are you using? I don't have my new TL Cabrio impeller yet (arrives Wednesday), but from what I have read, the spin speed really makes the difference between tangles and twists and no problems. The faster the spin, the more it tangles.

Schutzhund

• dadoes
    15 years ago

Spin speed has nothing to do with tangling.

Wrinkling, yes.

Tangling, no.

Think about it ...

When spinning, the clothes are simply compressed against the perimeter of the inner basket. They don't move or tumble in relation to each other or to the basket.

If there's tangling, it happens during the wash and/or rinse processes, when the clothes are agitating or tumbling over and around each other.

• schutzhund
    15 years ago

Dadoes, yep, sounds perfectly logical to me - thanks!

• kt996
    15 years ago

We bought a maytag mtw6500 6 mos ago. We bought from a local business that must have had it in storage for a LONG time. I have had nothing but headaches since owning it! I believe most of the trouble is because of the HE features! THEY STINK!
    The reason everything tangles is because there is not enough water to move around in. It also causes the clothes to come out still smelling like new, or like perfume, or BO etc.
    Called maytag cause clothes tangling, spin tearing laundry apart after 6 mos of using because spins too hard. And clothes not getting clean. Dirt in the form of thin mud left on work clothes, etc. I read & reread manual did ALL possible combinations of washing settings, nothing helped! Maytag said would send repairman but warranty does not cover mileage. We live 40 miles from nearest maytag repairman. It was $1 per mile each way. Soooo....$80 just for him to come. Washer cost $900.
    Repairman said nothing wrong. After hubby & I made several calls to Maytag they just said washer doing what it's supposed to. I finally said "NO, it's supposed to wash clothes and get them clean! It's not!" They say to send them copy of receipt and will buy back minus $150 for 6 mos use. We will see what really happens.

• boxiebabe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kt996: Please keep me posted as to whether or not Maytag will really do that. If they will, I will seriously consider asking them to do that for me as well. I'm tired of shaking laundry out - and never really feeling like it's getting all that clean. My sheets are the worst. They are always a wrinkled mess even after the dryer.
    Thanks!

• suburbanmd
    15 years ago

Link below has a picture of the old impeller, and the new one that's supposed to help with tangling.

Here is a link that might be useful: https://secured.whirlpool.com/Service/SrvTechAdm.nsf/d12cd4888abce86285256a42005ea985/eea007034feb11648525736e0049ae8e/$FILE/L8178694.pdf

• boxiebabe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have the new style impeller. My laundry is still tangled, twisted and very wrinkled. I'd hate to see what the old impeller people's laundry looks like. Sorry to be so negative on this - just speaking the truth.

Boxie

• haley_comet
    15 years ago

Gosh I just read all the posts...I am still lost as to what to buy.
    There is a part of me that is fearful of buying a new set - my old set works just fine but I need a higher capacity set (I have 4 kids).
    So many models, so many opinions and problems - is there not a set out there that the majority of folks are happy they bought?

• mara_2008
    15 years ago

boxie, I am so sad to hear about your tangling/wrinkling problem. I am also shocked, as I've had no problems at all with mine! When I wash jeans, I do shake them a few times before putting them into the dryer, but I've always done that regardless of what type washer/dryer I had.

I truly did not mean to steer you wrong; my Maytag w/d have done a fantastic job for months now. If yours were like mine, you'd undoubtedly be as hapy as I am with mine.

If I were in your shoes, I would definitely take Maytag up on their offer. It sounds like you got a lemon - if I were in your shoes, I would definitely see if Maytag would do for you what they've offered to do for kt996.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz