Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momasgenrlcontractor

What is better for your back - Kenmore Oasis or HE5 w/pedestal?

I'm trying to decide between a Kenmore Elite HE5 washer and dryer (already ordered) with the pedestals or a Kenmore Elite Oasis set. I have back issues and am trying to decide which would be better. I always thought I wanted a new FL machine since they apparently wash better. However, I saw the Oasis in Sears yestereday and started to reconsider. I didn't realize they made a HE machine in TL. As I bent over both washers, the FL with the pedestal seemed to be harder on the back than bending over the larger TL opening of the Oasis. I'm 5' 7" and I seemed to have to bend over more to see inside the smaller opening of the FL. Does anyone find it harder on the back to bend over a FL washer than a previous owned TL washer? Thanks for your input!

Comments (8)

• mara_2008
    15 years ago

The 'back' issue is why I decided to buy a HE toploader instead of a frontloader when I needed a new washer in May. My dil has an Oasis and really, really likes it - but I'm also seeing a lot of negative reviews about it online.

I decided to buy a Maytag Bravos, the 6700 model. It is by far the best washer I've ever had - huge capacity, ultra quiet, cleans laundry better than I've ever seen before - yet it uses less than half the water and energy my traditional washer used.

Sears sells the Maytag Bravos, in case you're interested in looking at it. For the first time in my life, I'm using Sears laundry detergent now (HE formula), and I really like it. It does a great job.

• momasgenrlcontractor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Mara, I'll look into the Bravo and it's reviews. I really liked the Oasis in the store but I also saw many negative reviews online. Thanks again.

Does anyone else have any input regarding back issues and a front load washer vs. a top load washer?

• appliance_researcher
    15 years ago

Yeah, I'll second the Bravos! My grandmother has one and just loves it! She has the older MTW6600 model. And the reviews that I've seen online have been quite positive, especially the 6700 model (and the Bravos reviews seem to be quite opposite of what the Oasis reviews are).

By the way, Mara, do the clothes in your 6700 have to be loaded in a particular way in order to prevent tangling? Just curious because they do in my grandmother's 6600. Maybe that was what they corrected with the 6700 model.

As for back issues, I actually think that the most ideal setup is a FL on risers or pedestals. An HE TL you may have to reach down into and a FL w/out risers or pedestals you have to bend down to get into. But you also have to do this with a dryer (unless it's a Fisher & Paykel TL dryer, but then you have to reach down into that), so it may not be as bad as it appears. But I'm no expert on this, just my 2 cents. The Bravos HE TL seems to work for Mara 2008 in terms of back issues as she stated above so either that or a FL on risers/pedestals would probably be your best bet.

Also, if you do decide on the Bravos and if you are able to hold off on your purchase for a bit, I believe a new Bravos with an internal heater will be hitting stores soon. It was on the Maytag website as model number MVWB800VQ and MVWB800VB. They were on the website for about a week, but has since been pulled from the website a couple of weeks ago, why, I do not know. Do a google search on it and see what comes up. I did one and I did not get much. I emailed Maytag about it and they were very vague and not helpful at all. I had one machine with an internal heater (Danby) and one without, (Maytag 2400 FL) and I feel the performance of the internal heater really makes a (positive) difference in washing performance, although I'll admit my grandmother's Bravos does do quite well without one. Maybe it's just all about how a particular machine performs. Anyhoo, Just FYI. :o) Good luck!!

• mc58
    15 years ago

I have had neck and back surgery, so I dont bend over for the front load , I bend my knees and squat down and the clothes are right in front of me, and I use a chair to watch the washer when I am checking the suds issue, it is easier than the topload because I have upper back problems also, and it is worse on that to lean down into a toploader and pull the clothes up and out.

• lascatx
    15 years ago

I think your best bet is to take a basket full of towels or something you don't mind carrying to a store and try putting laundry in and taking it out of as many washers and dryers as you can -- but do look for ones that are not set up on a platform.

I've got neck problems that involve my back, but more my upper back, so it might be different for me than it is for you. You will notice that there are some variations in the size of front loader door openings and the height of them, That might make a difference for you. Also, the height of the pedestals varies -- and some manufacturers offer two different heights. And then all of us are different heights and have different length arms.

I bought a Whirlpool Calypso years ago because I wanted the advantage of a front loader but believed the top loader would be better for my neck and back. The machine died recently and what I was hearing and reading about the newer edition wasn't good enough to get me to buy another one. I went to front loaders with pedestals. To be honest, I think they are easier to use and kinder on my neck and back. I was a bit unsure about making the change, but I like it well enough that I'm giving up on stacking them and gaining some additional counter space. In my little laundry room, that says a lot. ;-)

BTW, Maytag is a Whirlpool product.

• cynic
    15 years ago

lascatx put it well. Each person is different. I have no experience loading/unloading a front load washer but I do on standard FL dryers. I'm tall enough and have long arms so for me it's very convenient to use a TL machine. I rest one arm on it while I reach in, pull the stuff and transfer to the dryer. I never thought of it until just now but seems like it would be easier dropping in verses pushing or tossing in on a FL but again that varies for the person.

Some take a chair and sit and transfer the clothes. That wouldn't work for me. So for me, to get a FL, a pedestal of some type would be essential.

BTW, raising the FL dryer up... I should have done that YEARS ago when I could crouch, bend, stoop and stuff.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

I'm short and find the FL easier, but being tall I would see how the top loader would be easier to get in and out of. Today they are building some top loaders so deep that a short person like me has to leave the floor to reach in the bottom of the drum. LOL

• mara_2008
    15 years ago

appliance researcher, I haven't had any problem at all with laundry tangling - not even sheets. From what I've read/heard, that's one of the main advantages of the Bravos 6700 model.

I have issues with my lower back and a hip, and unloading the Bravos washer is much better for me than any other washer, including a traditional toploader. The agitator sometimes made it difficult to get out laundry that would wind around it, usually jeans and sheets.

I am only 5'4" tall, and this washer works great for me! I cannot recommend it highly enough.