Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Asko Washers & Dryers - Part 4

Posted by AKAsTJ_Northern_CA (My Page) on
Thu, May 12, 05 at 6:55

Part 3 is nearing the 100 entry cutoff.

Please continue posting Asko Washers & Dryers information in this thread Part...

TJ

Here is a link that might be useful: Asko Washers & Dryers - Part 3

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Asko Washers & Dryers - Part 4

I've had the 6461 washer and 731 dryer now for a couple of months, and frankly I'm ambivalent. The machines look good, and they are impressive to watch, but I'm still on the fence regarding performance. Maybe my expectations were too high, but from the posts here I expected something close to the Holy Grail of laundry -- the whitest whites, all stains banished forever, and never more than a soupcon of lint in the dryer. None of these things have come to pass.

Whites aren't whiter than with the previous el cheapo TL at the rental apartment before we moved. Some coffee stains on my wife's white blouse haven't even been diminished after repeated washings. And the lint screen seems to get every bit as full as our previous (also el cheapo) dryer. In fact, at one point we noticed our baby's PJs came out with a little morsel of food still stuck on them. While subsequent washing removed the food particle, the stain remained. We have since set our washer to use extra water and extra rinses (since we generally wash on Normal Plus this means 7 rinses), and this seems to have improved the situation somewhat, but we are still not overwhelmed.

Am I expecting too much from my machines? Right now I'm not sure I would shell out the $$ for these if I had the choice to make over again.

Also, just as an aside, the dryer sensor did not function properly when the machine first arrived. The dryer would indicate that the cycle was complete, but the clothes were far from dry. I called Asko service in TX, and they were somewhat less than helpful. The tech asked me how long a run of venting I had from the dryer to the outside. When I told her the vent tube went through 15 feet of crawl space, she told me that was the problem, and there was nothing that could be done to fix it. Actually, she offered to place a service call if I wanted, but tried to convince me it would be of no use. Of course, I did place a service call, and a tech came out and replaced the sensor, and now the machine works. I don't know if she was misinformed, or trying to keep service calls down to impress CR or some other reliability monitoring service. In any event, I was not pleased.

o

I am sorry you are disappointed with your machines! I am a long time Asko user and I would like to try and help you.

Going backwards up your comments: Re Asko CS in Houston. I have had mixed service from them. I'd say on average they are unsatisfactory more than satisfactory in terms of being able to provide support and help with problems. Fortunately nowadays there are service techs that are scattered about. When I first got my Asko there was no network, and everything had to be handled through Houston. If changing out the sensor fixed your problem, it's good you were persistent. There is a CD you can buy with repair instructins and parts lists that is helpful.

Now about the level of cleaning: When I hear someone is not getting good cleaning with an Asko there are four user-controlled things I think of right away: incorrect temps, incorrect detergent, incorrect load size for fabric and incorrect cycle selection. And one non-user controlled thing: water quality.

When I say "user-controlled" I don't mean user error. I just mean that many of the underlying assumptions that we have about washing are turned on their heads by f/l machines. Fortunately in many of these areas, when small changes are made, the results are very different.

Perhaps, if you're interested, you could post some about what stains you're troubled with, on which fabric and what temps, cleaning chemicals you're using, etc.

Many old stains cannot be shifted completely, but in many cases fabrics can be markedly improved, so I'm hopeful we could increase your satisfaction without too much fuss for you.

Of course, bearing in mind that no machine or detergent is a magic bullet. However, I have had Asko f/ls for a very long time and perhaps I can help you with specific suggestions if I know more about you current challenges and washing regimens.

The one area where you are dissatisfied which I can not offer any suggestions to improve is the amount of lint on the dryer screen. I am not sure how you got the idea that there would be no lint in the dryer. It simply isn't so. The lint comes from wear on the fabrics during use and is removed from them in the dryer (along with assorted pet fur and semi-dissolved Kleenex scraps). Perhaps you got the lint-free idea from the fact that Askos have no lint filter in the washer to clean. Some of the lint is of course removed by the water draining, but the majority comes off in the dryer. I take a layer off my dryer lint screen with every load. So you can rest your mind on that score your machine is functioning as intended and leaving your clothing free of lint when the drying is completed.

If you'd like to try and work your issues out, please post some more details. Don't worry about people knowing all about your "dirty laundry", we're really used to that here and you'll get many useful suggestions.

With an Asko pair you should be getting really clean wash. If you're not, then we can probably help.

Molly~

o

ktool,

In order to better understand your washing issue(s) and try to help you resolve them, please give us the following information:

1) The type of items that were in the wash load you mentioned, load size (stuffed, full, medium, light) and the fabric content of those items (100% cotton, cotton blend, etc.).

2) The brand/type detergent you used and the amount. If you used any additives along with the detergent, tell us the brand/type it was and the amount of it you used.

3) Brand and amount of fabric softener you used, if any.

In these instances, more information is usually better. :-)

FYI. There is a learning curve with FL washers that we all had to go through initially.

Also note. Hard water, incorrect detergent/additives, improper laundry sorting or overloading, incorrect cycle/spin speed and incorrect water temperature are major factors and can contribute significantly to poor laundry results, especially in a FL washer...

TJ

o
.....Just to continue.....

Molly,

Sorry. We were posting at the same time...

TJ

o
RE: Asko Washers & Dryers - Part 4 .

TJ,

No need for apologies, we're both trying to help the PP sort it out.
Cheers!
Molly~

o

Thanks for the offers of help.

As for water quality, I can't say for sure. We live in Portland, if you have any experience with the water there. The house did come with a Multipure house filtration system, which removes sediment, chlorine, rust, etc., so I would assume water quality is good.

We use Charlie's Soap, and use about one scoop per load, split up about 1/4 to 1/3 in the pre-wash, and the rest in the main wash. No additives, softener, etc.

We generally use Normal Plus, and as I mentioned we now have set the water level higher and opted for extra rinses. At first I stuffed the washer pretty full, but now we have backed off a little to see if that improves wash quality. We usually leave the spin at 1600.

Most of our clothes are 100% cotton, though there are the occasional items that are a blend or polyester (baby blanket, robe, panties, fleece throws, etc.). We don't have enough of the synthetics to do a separate load all the time, so we do mix synthetics and cottons in some loads. We do separate lights and colors, and wash sheets, towels, and dish towels separately. Lights usually get 120 or 140. Darks usually go with CF. Towels are more like 160. And for dish towels I've tried everything from 140 to 205 (these, especially, I would love to have come out looking like new -- right now they come out clean, but none of the stains ever seem to get removed).

The main articles of clothing we're having trouble with are my wife's white cotton blouse that was stained with coffee (washed at 120-140), and our son's clothes. He is only one, so he spills a lot, and his clothes (mostly cotton, mix of lights and darks), once stained, seem to stay that way. We would love for the Asko to be able to get these clean.

I really appreciate your help on the FL learning curve. I really want to love my Askos, but more than that I really want my clothes clean.

Thanks,
Ktool

o

Another load tonight, and a few spots where tomato sauce got on a white t-shirt remained without any noticeable effect from laundering.

o

ktool,

Although there have been some rave reviews about Charlie's Soap, there have also been some negative ones as well. A different brand detergent may be more appropriate.

As in any type washer (FL or TL), some stains can be/should be pre-treated before washing. You may want to consider Shout or a similar product.

I suggest you read the thread I've linked below as it may be of help/interest to you...

TJ

Here is a link that might be useful: Whitening Additive for Bosch AXXIS?

o

I agree with TJ. The Charlies Soap (for me) was the least effective I've tried. The amount I have left of it I use for only delicate fabrics. It just doesn't work well for me. I bet if you tried TideHE (powdered), you'd see a huge improvement with stain removal.

o

Bummer. We've got a bucket of the stuff! Oh, well. I guess we'll give a new detergent a try and see if that results in any improvement. So beyond the switch in detergent, do you have any other comments or suggestions? You said there was a learning curve with FLs. Is there anything else I need to know, or from my description am I doing everything else right?

o

Ktool,

I second the recommendation to ditch the CS. I tried it, and found it was very ineffective in my wash (plus it left the clothes with a harsh hand). I know there's a big cheerleading section here, and I don't want to offend anyone that loves it, but it was a complete zero for me.

I expect you'll see a big difference with a different detergent. While you're at it, consider adding some STPP (see FAQ for discussion of it). I find it quite effective (in small quantities) for whitening long-term stained and grubby white cotton dishtowels, t-shirts, etc. However, with dish towels, some things can't be removed once they are set in: these would be primarily be blood, vegetable dyes like tomato, beets, carrot juice, cranberry and grape juices, etc. These can be gradually faded, but sometimes never removed completely. What can reliably be shifted is the grayness from detergent or soap residues, and old greasiness. This requires a stiffish dose of detergent (split between prewash and main event), STPP and really high temps.

Your wife's white blouse is partly coffee stain, and perhaps also fat from any cream, etc. Coffee can be the devil to get out and I wouldn't wash an item stained with it without prespotting it by hand beforehand. Since it's already been washed I would try a non-chlorine bleach on it (can't hurt), and maybe afterward some hydrogen peroxide. Tide HE is reputed to be slightly on the fading side of cleaning, so it might do OK just with that.

What detergent did you use before you switched to the Asko? Have you tried using a smaller quanity of that instead of the CS? I've had poor luck with non-HE liquids, but my regular detergent is an ordinary non-HE powder.

The other thing is that somehow people have gotten the idea that you can toss any item into the washing machine and get it clean. Wish that were so; in real life, you still have to prespot, presoak, by hand, for many things. The alternative would be using so many chemicals on everything in order to take care of the relatively few items that need the extra attention. (I think that's why there is a huge market for detergent-plus-built-in-bleach products. That's too harsh for me regimen.)

Since you are using CS, you probably are careful about what you use on your stuff, so the throw-everything-at-it approach may not be what you would like.

I would however try using a better detergent for awhile, in combination with STPP for some items, a good pre-wash product (Shout is good), a non-chlorine bleach (Vivid or Chlorox II). If nothing else, keep a bottle of dishwashing soap (Dawn is what I use) handy to prespot any greasy spots that need to get shifted.

Do you use f/s? If so, you might want to try using vinegar instead, as f/s can build up and add a greasy coating (it's made from beef tallow and/or silicone oil)which can interfere with good cleaning.

For your child's clothing are the stains grease or food matter or a combination or something else? Are you doing cloth diapers? The food stains will usually respond to pretreating (I think Shout can be put on and left one for several days before washing). Diaper washing is whole 'nuther thing. And a compicated subject, since you didn't ask about it, I'll assume not. But if that's what you need info on, let us know and we can help there, too.

Because I tend to err on the side of caution, (w/r/t harshness of washing) sometimes it takes a second wash to completely remove a stain (I try not to machine dry the item in bewteen, but it happens.) Recently I was talking on the phone at my desk and eating a salad, and what with one thing and another I got half a dozen huge vinaigrette stains on the front of my favorite cotton Land's End turtleneck Uh-oh! Not something I can subject to really high temps (would kill the spandex in the neck) and it's a beautiful pale teal blue, so nothing bleach-y is safe near it. I washed it once (probably at 120-140 and normal detergent), with a little pre-treat of liquid dish detergent on the grease shadows; stains were still somewhat visible. Next time it was washed, I pretreated the marks with Shout. Worked completely.

Hope this helps you enjoy your machines.

Molly~

o

Hi Molly,

Quick comment and question for you. A number of years ago I remember reading a comment from someone who bought used clothing for her children at times. She would take a bucket she said and fill it with very hot water, DW detergent and non-clorine bleach. Not sure if there was a third ingredient or not. She let it soak overnight then washed in the washing machine (am supposing a TL). I recently have had a stain on a pair of DH's pants that was greasy among other things, so decided to wash, rather than soak--maybe I should have tried that first--in DW detergent and non-clorine in my TL. Most of the stain came out, but what didn't was a reddish color (on green khaki pants). I then pretreated with spray n wash stain stick and have yet to rewash. Any other suggestions before I throw them back in the machine? (Figured the DW detergent, with enzymes couldn't hurt initialy).

o

Wow. Thanks for all the great detail, Molly. We will try to implement some of your suggestions and report back.

o

Currently, my Asko dryer of 5 years is dead. I am not sure if I can resurrect it at a reasonable cost. I may need a new motor/motor housing that connects the idler pulley.

How do I run the Asko washer without plugging the electricity to the back of the dryer?

If I bought a Miele dryer for future Miele washer upgrade, how do I do the hookup of these two separate brands? Any info will be helpful.

BTW, I have had so many problems with my Asko W/D set, I will not buy another pair. Yes, they wash and dry beautifully. I will buy a Miele in the future. I think the track record is better.

o

For Kaismom: When your laundry room is sit up with only 1 30amp socket miele sells an easy plug converter that converts your 1 plug and splits in into 2.

Each Miele unit only draws 15amps so you should be OK using this converter kit.

Here's a big if and a big long shot: It's possible that you call Asko and see if they'll do a buy back on your old units. I did this with my Maytag units.

Just call customer service and ask them directly (upfront) whom to speak with about this. They should be helpful.

Now I wouldn't recommend buying a Miele Dryer for future consideration. Chances are the styling will change by that time. Your better off just buying an inexpensive until you're ready to make the move to a new set.

BTW- I own the Miele W1213 and matching dryer. I bought them mainly for there reliability. I would give the Miele Units a strong buy recommendation not only due to there reliability but also because of the way the wash. These things are so gentle on clothes that my recently purchased New clothing still look brand new even after several runs through the machine.

Word of warning: I'm not so liberal anymore with there sanitize feature. Water is way too hot and can break down the fiber structure of some material. I'm still experimenting with this option and hope to figure it out oneday.

You should try to find someone in your neighborhood who owns the Miele's so that you can compare the differences between the two units yourself.

o

I'm happy to say that I just purchased my Asko laundry set. It took a while, but I was able to find a W6761/T761 Stainless pair sitting in an appliance dealers warehouse out of state. I expect delivery in about a week. Thanks to all here in the Laundry Room for the wealth of great information and advice supplied. I know I'm going to be happy with my choice. Oh, the dealer I purchased from claims he gave me a *good deal* to move these items. He said, quote, "As you probably know, ASKO are revamping their laundry products..." That's news to me since I ran into the ASKO rep at a local appliance store Monday who insisted there was nothing new on the horizon. :)

One more bit of info I found regarding the lack of a soak feature on the W6461. Under options for the W6461 on the ASKO Sweden site, it lists "- Pre-soak or anti-crease*" The asterisk brings you to the comment, "Pre-set from factory". Looks like the U.S. got the anti crease option instead of soak. :)

Anyway, I'll keep you all posted on my progress once I take delivery.

Oh, lastly, does anyone know if the W6661 is similar to the W6761? I could only find the 6661 online manual on ASKO's website.

Thank you all so much again.

Regards,

Rich

o

If memory serves, they're the same units, except for the model number. Asko realized some people were put off by the 666 in the number... :-)

They eliminated both of those top-end models in the US due to poor sales volume. That's why you *lucked out*...

TJ

o

After some investigation in which this board was invaluable, I took delivery of a Asko W/D set (W6461 and T731). I was less than impressed with the sales process and delivery/installation was worse than I could imagine. Washer was manufactured this year, but dryer was from first part of 2003, meaning it had the fuse problem that so many people have encountered, and is well known to Asko, which is why they remidied it.

I insisted on a dryer without the problem, built after the correction was made, and after a dozen phone calls and relentless commitment to either getting a fault-free dryer or pulling the plug on the whole deal, the dealer/distributer successfully located a fault-free T731 built this year and it was swapped for the 3/2003 unit initially delivered to me.

I'm now getting refunded the $100 for installation that was never done properly (or so they promise).

Having said that, I'm generally pleased with the Asko units and hope they last a good long time. However, on normal mode without using the high water switch, it seems to use so little water that I wonder whether it is functioning properly.

P.S. I'm using Persil Megaperls as detergent and am so far quite happy with the performance (found it for $42/box but prices seem to be all over the board on this product).

o

Hey TJ,

Thanks for the reply. Hmm..that's kinda funny about the 666 in the model number..The washer from Hell. LOL

I knew the 6761 had been discontinued but I had no idea it was due to poor sales. I just thought ASKO had something new in the wings. I was all ready to buy at the start of this year and was caught by surprise when they were no longer offered. I'm glad I didn't give up searching.

I don't know how good a deal I got, but $2700 for the pair with no tax and free delivery from out of state seemed good to me, considering the only other place I found wanted $3400 plus shipping.

Anyway, thanks again.

Regards,

Rich

o

Rich, why the 6761? The guts seem identical to the 6461--was it the Stainless Steel, or the multilingual or the lcd readout that caught your interest? Same qu. applies to the T761 (vs. T731). Just curious....

I paid $2345 for the W6461 and T731 (includes tax/installation/haul of old units) and I expect to be refunded installation, as reported earlier.

Universal @ www.universal-akb.com/aswaw62.html still has prices up on your unit, in case you're interested. Looks like you got a good deal....

o

Hi dseps,

I did see that the W6461 was similar, but it did not have a pre-soak feature; something that I would use a lot. I know that I could just stop the machine manually (like I currently do with my TL), but the problem is remembering to turn it back on again. :) I also liked the look of the control panel without any knobs..very hi-tech. ;)

I had seen Universal's site and was about to break down and buy them from there. I didn't know if their pricing was the normal retail or if it was jacked up a bit since these units were no longer available. Fortunately I tried another search today and came across my set at an appliance store here on the East coast. :)

Regards,

Rich

o

dseps,

I forgot about your issues with the T731 fuse. I'm glad that you were able to get that resolved. Hope all works out with your refund. I didn't see any reports of the fuse problem on the T761 Dryers..only Sonny mentioning that he had to replace his fuse once. I may just call ASKO to see if there are any service bulletins on my models so that I can get them checked after install.

Regards,

rich

o

Rich, when I called Asko one person I spoke with knew nothing about the fuse problem, one person played dumb until I explained the problem and then "fessed up". A third person told me that there is a blanket policy of fixing the problem regardless of whether the unit is under warranty, but that this blanket policy is not in writing, and a fourth person stated that she knew nothing about that blanket policy "unless it is in writing". Hence my insistence on getting a recently manufactured unit.

If the issue exists on your T761, I would have them correct it even if the problem does not manifest. All Asko reps told me that they would honor this procedure. BTW: manufacture date is encoded in the serial #, the 1st 2 digits representing the year, and the 2nd pair of digits representing the week in the year (eg. 0451xxxxxxxx was manufactured on the 51st week of year 2004).

Dan

o

Hi Dan,

Thanks for that info. I will see how it all goes. The ASKO reps I've talked to with pre-sales questions have been great. I'm sure everything will work out fine. :) Now just have to deal with the wait til these babies are delivered! ;)

Regards,

Rich

o

Since Rich brought up pre-soak, I'm wondering how important it is. I presume the objective is to remove stains, or is it just a better/different technique than a profile wash to remove dirt? How many washers offer this? This is the first time I thought about the benefit, if any, and didn't even consider the option in selecting the Asko W6461.

With respect to the W6461 Asko, if I hold in Start for 3 seconds, it erases the program progress and when restarted, washer begins the program cycle from the beginning. Unlock Door interrupts the program, pumps the water out, unlatches the door and then resumes the program where it left off when the door is relatched. I've never tried just turning off the power and, upon reenabling power, seeing if the program resumes where it left off. But again, I'm not sure of the benefits of presoak. Can anyone enlighten under what conditions it is of benefit?

Thanks,
Dan

o

Hi Dan,

The pre-soak is usually beneficial for heavily soiled items. The 6761 offers a two hour cold water presoak that should help loosen the stains before the actual wash cycle. With my current setup I either stop my TL after the water fill or just soak the items in a washbin filled with cool water and detergent.

Regards,

Rich

o

Kaismom - try calling Asko direct and insist on speaking to one of their technical experts. Asko shipped us a replacement motor for our washer for a fraction of the cost a local service company quoted, and my not overly handy DH was able to replace it in approx. 10 mins. Hopefully, your dryer will be as easy a fix.

o

Hello,

Could anyone by chance recommend where I can find a good deal on a new T760 or T761 to match a new W640 washer I recently aquired?

Is is hard to find online.

Thanks for any tips,

o

I thought I posted here a few days ago, but it seems to have disappeared... Here we go again... :)

I have a T761, and I've had the fuse problem. My fuses blew a year ago, and I replaced them, and they blew again a few weeks ago and one of them actually melted -- yikes! The Asko service guy came out and performed a factory-authorized bypass of the fuses, and fixed the unit in 10 mins flat.

The T761 definitely has this problem, and I'd suggest having a service professional perform the fix for you. Mine is still under warranty, so they did it for free.

Regarding the mixed cleaning results, I can only tell you to pay closer attention to your water temperature and detergent. Charlie's Soap is a lot like Country Save, which I have used, and my experience with these so-called "natural" products is that they all suck. They are fine if you're only dealing with very lightly soiled or delicate items, but for real stains you'll need something like TideHE or the better off-the-shelf brands. If someone can give me a natural/environmentally friendly product that cleans as well as TideHE, I'll be the first to jump ship.

The Asko does a 40 minute enzyme step on the normal wash cycle -- the washer keeps the temperature 105-120 for 40 minutes so that detergent enzymes can do their work at the optimum temperature. CHARLIE'S SOAP DOES NOT CONTAIN ENZYMES, and they are a critical ingredient in effective stain removal.

Switch detergents, make sure you use 120 for your colors, 85-105 for your darks, and 160+ for your whites, and add a scoop of oxyclean or equivalent to your loads.

o

ktool -- I had some table linens which had yellowed badly. I washed them with 1 tbsp of Tide HE in the Asko at the hottest water setting and they came out snow white.

The hot water and either the Tide HE or the Forever New powder, which is basically sold in lingerie stores but is a great stain fighter and all around wash powder, have both given me wonderful results.

In the Asko I'm able to get my cottons very clean and white -- far whiter than my front loader.

May be the soap. I get the Tide at Target

o

I agree with others who've suggested a change in detergents and settings are in order. There is no question that my family's clothes and other articles are coming out cleaner with our Asko W6021 than with the old TL Speed Queens in our old condo building's common laundry room. We usually use the Normal Plus setting for our loads, which gives 5 rinses. We use 1 tbsp. of regular Persil Megaperls with a 120-degree (sometimes 140-degree) temp. for lights/whites. We use 1 tbsp. of Persil Color Megaperls and a 105-degree temp. for colors/darks. Our clothes come out very clean. For things like spaghetti/tomato stains, however, I've found it necessary to do some pretreatment on those (contrary to Asko's literature). I'll often scrub most of a stain out by hand using regular hand soap, then I'll treat it afterwards with a little Shout. This seems to completely get rid of potentially stubborn stains.

o

Does anyone have a problem with the washer going out of balance? or error F6

o

bestmommytr,

What model do you have or are you inquiring about Asko washers in general?

TJ

o

Sorry, it is model 20605. We have had it for about 5 years and in that time, have replaced the motor 3 times. Is this normal? First motor went at the 2 year mark.

o

That's certainly not normal, but it is unfortunately similar to problems that have been reported here with some older Asko units.

The new ones available here (US) for the last couple of years seem to be better (3-year bumper-to-bumper warranty). However, there is still no long-term reliability available for them...

TJ

o

Hi -- I have had an Asko dryer for 5 years. It recently broke down. I had a repairman come out to take a look and he diagnosed a broken belt and rollers in need of replacement -- all for an estimated cost of $400 to $450, which seems extremely expensive, considering the cost of a new unit is probably only about 2x that. I live in New York City. Does any one have experience with repairs of this type to know whether this quote is unreasonable? Thanks for any insight!

o

Dear "Littleapple":

I concur that the jury is still out on the redesigned models' reliability, but I am quite optimistic because the major problems encountered by others were by and large on the super-electronic controlled models that have been discontinued. I have now had the 6461 washer and 721 (condensation) dryer in continuous operation with four adults (myself, wife, and two adult children) since October 2004 and they have exceeded all our expectations -- perfect cleaning in every way. The Tide HE powder works very well and no bleach has ever been needed so far. Excellent results across the board and simply the best laundry appliances we have ever owned in 27+ years of marriage. Others have been Maytag, GE and Speed Queen. FYI, we have only used the Normal, Normal Plus, and Quick programs. Everything has worked each time.

Brian Savin
Greenwich, CT

o

Hi all - New to forum, struggling with Asko W/D (T760/W660) for years. Most recent is a punctured drain hose in the washer... does anyone have links to sources for parts? Thanks!

skippy

o

Skippy: Simply call the help line - there simply is no need to struggle about parts you need to self-repair older models...800 898 1879. or 972 238 0794.

o

My Asko washing machine, a W620, died this past week after 5 years of service. The motor needs to be replaced (the ball bearings sound like they're shot too). Did I mention this happened one month to the day after the 5 year warranty on the motor expired? I called Asko's customer service number in Texas, unrealistically hoping that they would cover the cost to repair the motor so close to the terms of the warranty...but to no avail. I was told "after the period of the warranty expires, the consumer must accept responsibility and pay for any repairs that must be made...whether it's one day or one month after the warranty expires"... After I said, "Huh...seems like a company that touts a 20 year life expectancy of their washing machines would be a little more willing to help out their customers..", she says "The website doesn't say 20 year 'repair-free' life expectancy." Nice customer service...
Now I'm trying to decide whether I should pay the $300 to replace the motor (I already shelled out almost $100 for the service visit)...or should I buy a different front loader? Perhaps Miele or Bosch? I'm doing the research now... If I do end up buying a new machine, you can bet it won't be an Asko...what a bummer...

o

I take you didn't change your mind in the last 24 minutes.

I think you'll find that while Miele makes a 15-20 year life claim for its machines, it doesn't claim that's 15-20 years with no repairs either. Their warranty is shorter than your Asko as well.

Maybe you should look at a Danby; temps almost as high as your Asko (200 instead of 205), more program cycle choices (12 instead of 11), and price is less than $400.

o

Spewey,

Thanks for the post... I had never heard of Danby until today. Still researching and trying to figure out what to do next. I'm a bit leery of replacing the motor on my Asko...since the warranty is out of date, I don't want to spend so much now when I may have to do it all over again in the near future. There are so many other FL options out there--when I purchased my Asko set five years ago, I had a very small laundry closet and the options were few...now I have more room and have many other options.

Thanks again!

o

To Holly31:

Personally, I suspect you may have more of a problem with your service rep that with the manufacturer. Asko's are great machines, though admittedly my experience is less than 5 years. Service may be an issue in some parts of the country as they are not mass market products in this country. We plan to buy another set for our other home. If you are not in a major metro area, you may be better off getting a more conventional headache. Danby is a very mixed product at best, and again may create service issues for you. Investigate this site thoroughly as well as consumer reports.

o

I have an Asko T731 dryer. Has anyone out there tried to install a light in the drum area? The dryer I have has the housing & lens for a light. There is no socket in the housing. I called Texas about this, & they said that the European models have the light but that they aren't allowed to have them operational in the USA. She refused to give much more detail. I tried to get her to help me order the parts needed...but NO LUCK.

If you have a solution, let me know - THANKS,

o

Holly,

I've replaced both washing machine and dryer motors on Askos, in and out of warranty. It's not a big deal. Never had a replacemnt motor on the same machine fail a second time. For the price of a Danby machine, you can get your Asko back up and running. My Askos are all early 90's models and still going strong.

FPhinney:

How odd, my much older Asko dryer has a drum light .... Not that the lamp lasts very long. But every now and then I bestir myself and replace it. Frankly, I don't find it all that important. If you took the case apart you could see if there is actually wiring going to the socket area. If there is, an electrician could install a socket. If not, then it would be more complicated, but probably not out the question. Can't help you with exact directions though, as I've never faced that.

My experience with Asko in Houston, has not been all that great. Sometimes they can be helpful, sometimes foolishly unhelpful and not very knowledgeable either. We do our own work on the our Askos, so it's not that we don't understand, it's that they (the customer service ladies) don't get it. We finally bought the CD repair manual which has a complete parts breakdown for our mdels. So now we just order parts, and don't ask for advice.

You might try again, at another time of day, or ask a local repair shop about it.

Good luck to both of you!
Molly~

o

Hello Housekeeping/Molly

The cd on repairing Asko washing machines looks interesting. Are you able to tell me about it and where I could get it pls? I am in Australia but maybe can order it.

Thanks

Jon

o

I have had an Asko washer and dryer for a few months. I like them, but have noticed an unusual problem. Several years of going to the laundromat in between having a washer and dryer have given us some clothes (usually towels) with spots on them. They look like bleach spots. We figured once we had our own washer, we'd never see the problem. We have had a couple of t shirts show up with bleach-looking spots. We use Tide HE detergent and a little Downy softener and, of course, no dryer sheets. Any ideas or suggestions? Have other people seen these?

Thanks for any help. Shellyb

o

Greetings new Guy on Laundry Forum. At home I have two Asko
W6661's, T761 & T781. Have had have no reliability problems. My previous laundry sets have been Creda & Philco Italia. The Philco Italia was great when running. The Creda set was nice and somewhat reliable. My Asko's are great with 5 five years and no repair. Also have a great reliable Asko service company in the area. Question trying to get my mother to switch over to a Front Loader. I'm old school like the ASKO's internal hot water heating abilities. Majority of large front loading machines have one heating program. Should I recommed Asko, Please help, Best-Jeff

o

My wife and I haven't noticed these spots on our clothes. Is it possible the spots are being created by something like a cleaner containing bleach landing on the clothes? I had a shirt and pair of slacks develop small holes. I later figured that they were caused by battery acid residue landing on them when I replaced an old car battery with a new one. We're using Persil detergent with our Asko washer. We use Persil for Colors when washing darks and highly-colored clothing. No problems so far.

o

Just wondering, I have a w6761 washer and t781 condenser dryer. All is working well but really don't know if anyone leaves the power on the w and d when not is use. I tend to leave them on at all times. Will I hurt anything or it doesn't matter.
Thanks

o

I sometimes forget and leave it on, hasn't hurt. LEDs will burn out in forty years or so, so best to turn it off.

o

Campo,

If you're in an area that is prone to power outages, you may regret it...

TJ

o

AKA.......... why? What would power outages have to do with it. Sorry but I have no idea why?
Please let me know.

o

Unless you have a whole-house surge protector or similar small unit protecting it/them, you stand the chance of frying the electronics...

TJ

o

Thanks AKA. I will not be leaving my W&D power on any longer.

o

Ordered the other day the W6461 and T731 in Titanium. If the Asko's work out I'll purchase another pair.

o

Just a post to let everyone know that if you have problems with your Askos their service in Texas is terrible.

My year-old 6021 washer never worked on all cycles -- delicate and wool just didn't function. But delicate is one cycle I need a lot.

5 service calls later the washer doesn't work at all. It doesn't spin, not on the spin cycle or any other cycle.

The new controller boards (2 of them) essentially bring the wash program to the point just before the spin. Then the door pops open and I have soaking wet clothes with no way to extract the water.

When I telephoned several times no notes were made on my file and the supervisor I spoke to 3 times didn't remember my calls and hung up on me when I complained about spending $800 for a washing machine that doesn't work.

I had to "do the paperwork" to get them to replace the machine and although I'm without a washer, it will take them whatever time it takes them to get a decision.

After she hung up on me I phoned my dealer who has phoned the head of the distribution company which is one of the largest in our area.

I bought everything for my house from this dealer and spent a small fortune with them. So I am "a good customer" and steps will be taken.

Moral: clout afterwards is one really important reason to shop with a big, powerful dealer.

I like the way the Askos clean but I am so totally off the company I truly want them to buy back the pair. I'll suffer afterwards with Mieles.

o

With all due respect to fatlester, I must question your objectivity. I had problems with the set up on my ASKO washer (delivery didn't take the package pins out) and the Texas help line was supurb. As to your alternative, Miele is a ridiculously overpriced (actually requires dealors to sell at fixed suggested price) and overmatched machine when compared with ASKOs. I am sorry about your experience, but it is not typical to my knowledge and you do ASKO and readers a major disservice.

o

siwanoy if the supervisor at the Asko service center hung up on you I don't think you'd be saying what you're saying.

I'm not disputing your right to give your experience but I have not found their help line to be superb at all.

How could I possibly be objective when a washing machine I paid $800 for has never worked properly and now does not work at all after 5 service calls and 2 controller boards?

There's no reason for me to be objective in this situation. There's reason for me to be as angry and upset as I am and to find the fastest, most efficient way to get a washing machine that works.

If feel Asko has done ME a disservice. Miele is not the point but given the experience I had when my dishwasher wasn't working properly the way to handle customers could not be clearer to me. And Asko doesn't get it, at least not in my case.

o

You say you had 5 service calls. Two involved replacement of the PC board. What did the "repair guy" do on the other 3 calls?

I know you think he's competent, so can you describe his actions in some detail to resolve the problem? What's his hypothesis of the underlying problem and recommendation of how to solve it? After service call 5, did he leave your machine in its current state without a recommended path forward?

o

He came out to see what was wrong.
He came back to put in a new board; the machine didn't work.
He returned to replace the old board so at least I could do laundry.
He called the tech guys; they sent a new board.
He returned to put in the new board. He consulted with them while he was here to try to get it to work.
The machine does not spin on any cycle with the new board in there. He again consulted with the techs at Asko service while he was here.
He left the machine in its current state, yes, with the second new board in there. The new board does not work in my machine.
The path forward is replacement of the machine with one that works on all cycles.

The only thing I can fault the service guy on is that I asked him specifically to hold onto the old controller board "just in case". He returned it to Asko after he got the second one. I believe he did that because he spoke to them about what had to be done to the board -- it involved removing some little pieces on the board to get the spin to work. He called and told me that he had the problem solved and it would be fine. He evidently believed that.
When he came to do what was necessary it still didn't work.

There have been some modifications in these controller boards, specifically involving the spin cycle. I have no idea what they were but an info sheet says that the loads now don't keep trying to balance for spin, they will only attempt to balance 3 times and if they don't the cycle moves on. Also there is a new feature: the door pops open on its own when the cycle is finished. This never happened with the old board.

So I am warning folks who are considering Askos to inquire about this. So what happens is that the wash cycle finishes, it moves 3 times pre-spin. Then the spin cycle does not work and the door pops open leaving you with sopping wet laundry.

The seperate spin cycle does not work at all with this controller board. It did previously.

So everyone understands: the computerized board completely controls the operation of these machines. It's installed and connected to leads to the control buttons. Nothing else to fix in there.

The woman at Asko did not at all sound surprised at this.

I don't know what's going on with them nor do I care apart from the fact that my machine doesn't work and they have not been responsive.

Let me also add that the dealer who sold me everything for my house warned me flat out not to buy Askos that there had been too much trouble with them. At one point I switched the order to a Bosch set. Then I had to switch back because the plumber had already installed the drain and the vent set up and they were very different for Bosch an Asko. I didn't want to incur additional plumbing costs by having him redo the drain and vent locations.

My dealer wanted me to buy the Miele set and strongly recommended them. Some might consider them overpriced and I told him at the time I didn't want to spend $3000 on washing machines for a weekend home. Instead I spent my valuable time renting a car and driving 90 miles to be in the house when the repair man comes to fix a washing machine.

Considering the value of my time and the aggravation quotient, in hindsight the Mieles don't seem so expensive.

o

You write, "everyone understands: the computerized board completely controls the operation of these machines. It's installed and connected to leads to the control buttons. Nothing else to fix in there."

And then contradict yourself with, "The path forward is replacement of the machine with one that works on all cycles."

The path forward is to get a fully functional controller board in there. I would email Asko Sweden and also insist on an overnight shipment of a good board either from Sweden or from Texas. If they can't do that, to as you request take back the machine. And your "repair guy" NEVER should have sent the partially-functional controller board back.

o

dseps -- I agree that the partially functional controller board should never have been sent back! In fact, I asked him to keep it. I think he did it only because he was convinced the new one would work after speaking to the techs in Texas. He certainly didn't want to see me not have a functional machine. I had called him in tears when it didn't work as I had mounds of laundry and company coming.

But I also feel it's incumbent upon the people selling the product to be sure the controller board is fully functioning. It's not up to me.

Update: my dealer has spoken with the distributor who, she reports, is "upset" with the number of complaints they are getting about the washers.

The woman in Texas didn't sound surprised. The distributor is not surprised.

Clearly there is a problem and I won't speculate on what it might be although I have a clear suspicion. I will not speculate as I do not want my post misread and a speculation picked up as fact, which happens a lot. I know there is a problem but do not know for a fact what it is exactly and that would be unfair.

But I am raising a warning flag.

Good idea to email Sweden but how does one define a "good board" in this context? Perhaps the distributor will do this and I certainly will make the suggestion.

I have the feeling this will be a long saga ending either with replacement of the machine (though what do I expect from a new one?), or a revise on the controller board that will make my current machine work properly, or they will simply buy the pair back and let me get another brand.

My DH wants the buy back and another brand. He doesn't want a replacement machine.

o
RE: Asko Washer warning

This is the post from Buy Local:
Posted by: BuyLocal (My Page) on Wed, Aug 31, 05 at 12:07

quote " My Asko 6021 has never worked properly since it was installed a year ago. 2 cycles -- delicate and wool never worked at all.
I finally got around to having the repair guy come out."

You should have called right away. NOT AFTER A YEAR! How do they know it didn't work from the beginning. I hear that all the time. the warranty may be up & someone will call and say it should be fixed free because it never was right. How can a company repair something that they do not know isn't working properly.

quote "I've called my dealer and told them I want Asko to buy back the washer and dryer and pay for me back for the delivery." What did the dealer do wrong? The dealer didn't build your machine. Also, the machine is A YEAR OLD!!! Also, sounds like the repairman may not be as competant as you think.
------------------

I did call and report that the washer wasn't working right away; in fact they have a record of that call. Last year after it was installed. They told me it probably wasn't installed correctly -- however it was.

These washers have a 3 year waranty. I had a whole house reno and many priorities. Fixing 2 cycles on the washer wasn't as high on the priority list as moving in and getting other essentials done. As soon as I had time, I addressed it.

What I don't understand is why one would call into question the competency of a repair person recommended by Asko and who had guidance from Asko techs in Texas?

I repeat: the old controller board worked mostly. The new one doesn't permit the machine to spin. Logic dictates that's a major problem with the part, not the person installing it.

I called my dealer because I trust them to fight for me and they are doing so. The dealer is being excellent and 100% correct IMO.

I only regret that I didn't take his advice when he tried to warn me off this purchase in the first place.

o

Update - proof positive that dealer clout (or this forum) works: the repair guy called. Asko is overnighting him controller board #4. He will be out to install it on Friday first thing.

I'm still concerned about the new 3-time limit on balancing the clothes prior to the spin cycle but willing to reserve judgment on that until my machine works on all the cycles and acutally will spin again.

I don't want anymore doors popping open authomatically when there is still a soaking wet load of 800 g cotton towels inside.

o

Hope it works, and please keep us appraised of the progress (or regress).

Do you feel free now to tell us what your suspicion of the problem was?

Dan

o

Not until I know for a fact. There are too many theories that get repeated as fact here since people read quite quickly through posts or do not read carefully.

It would not be fair for me to speculate.

I will post after the service call to pass along the results and any explanation of the problems plus a report on how the new controller board works -- if it works.

There have been changes made in the board that affect how the washer functions and how it transitions from wash to spin. This is a fact. How that will ultimately affect overall performance, if at all, I do not know. The automatic door opening at the end of the cycle is another new factor.

o

Hi new guy on the block,

Sorry to hear about your Asko experience. I hope for your piece of mind that you purchased an extended warrantee. I purchased my extended warrantee through Philips. The service plan it states will cover the cost of all repairs, and if we cannot repair it, we'll replace it! My extra warrantee extends my Asko appliance out to total of five years.

I wish people would stop bashing ASKO products. When calling Texas have found them to be very helpful. I Currently have two Asko washers and clothes dryers and a dishwasher. In the past had older ASKO washer & dryer and dishwasher more than five years. No major repairs. I would enjoy hearing more and over due BOSCH, MIELE,Whirlpool, (B) style movie horror stories. Best Jeff

o

Finnlux,

Reporting a problem isn't necessarily "bashing." There are plenty of good reports on Asko washers; fatlester's report is definitely an exception to the general rule.

My 6021 is bearing down on the five-year mark as well with no need for repairs. I did a load of white tees the other day on a relatively high heat cycle (120°, not the full-blown 205° it is capable of) with a tablespoon of Persil, and they came out blindingly white. I think they are amazing machines. Other machines may do as well, but I don't see how any could provide better results.

o

spewey -- I agree. I love the results from the washer. I had 20 yo Italian linens that had yellowed in storage and one load on 205 made them look like new. No complaints about results.

It's so odd. Everyone complains about Viking and I have a kitchen full of it and no problems; no service problems.

But as you know the Miele incognito was giving me fits until they got the rinse temperature adjusted.

This washer has never been fully functional but the cycles that worked worked well, so I didn't try to get it fixed until I had the time.

These appliances are in a weekend home. I have to rent a car and drive 90 miles to get here. The last thing in the world I want/need is a problem with an appliance. Everything is just a year old and only has been used on weekends -- it's not like there are 5 kids here or I'm running a laundromat.

I just want everything to work and not break -- at least for some reasonable period of time. Between the d/w, the lightning strike and now this washing machine it's been a big, fat PITA.

The Asko supervisor hanging up on me was the end of the line. I have a lot of patience and persistence and a good analytical head. But that was total, unprofessional c$@p. There is no comparison with the response from either Miele or even Viking.

My waranty has 2 years to go but the minute DH heard about what happened with the service he said he wanted the washer and dryer switched out.

My dealer has been a gem in all this. Granted, I was and continue to be a very good customer there. But this experience does show the real value of buying from someone local with whom you have an ongoing relationship.

o

I wish you would give ASKO another chance. I do fault your dealer and local distributor for not giving you a new ASKO washer. Case in point had a lady friend who purchased a new Euro-Tech washer. The washer had similar circuit board problem. Because she had an extended warrantee they replaced the washer with in one week. It's been three years no problems. Let me know if the 4 circuit board does the trick. Best-Jeff

o

""I do fault your dealer and local distributor for not giving you a new ASKO washer."" I still do not understand why the dealer would be on the hook for a new washer for a 1 YEAR OLD unit. Why should the dealer lose money for something they had no involvement in.?. They should work with the customer to have ASKO do something, but the dealer should not have to foot the bill. It sounds like the unit should be field repairable, so that's what should be done.

o

Update: Controller board #4 is now in the machine. The spin now works so at least my washer functions for the holiday weekend.

However the 2 original cycles which did not work still DO NOT WORK.

Buylocal -- there is a 3 year waranty on this machine. The dealer sold me the machine which is why they are involved. They are an EXCELLENT dealer who is totally going to bat for me. I have no idea who is on the hook. They must work that out among themselves. If you are a dealer and you bring the attitude you express on this board into your business your customers won't come back to you, I promise.

My loyalty to my dealer has only increased through all this.

The fact is I paid for a washer that has never worked fully and still does not after 4 controller boards and 5 repair calls (this last one was number 5).

Oh, and Asko service is closed today for the holiday. So when my repair guy tried to call and tell them what happened there was no one there.

I have again called my dealer because that is the only way I can get this resolved.

Finnlux -- I want a new machine -- another brand!

This is the new appliance world we live in.

o

ASKO washer question. Used my washer for the first time yesterday and I noticed after the washer is finished my laundry feels warm. Doesn't the ASKO washer rinse with cold water?

o

Yes, it does. It only has a cold water inlet.

However, it depends on the ground water temperature of your location. Cold water can be warm in the summer...

TJ

o

I purchased the Asko T731 dryer and 6461 washer in 2/05. I know they were the most recent models because the dealer was waiting for the arrival of a new container from overseas.

I'm having problems with the Sani cycle. Sometimes the cycle ends but the clothes are still wet and soapy ( I use the 1600 rpm spin). I wonder if this is also a control board problem.

Have others had this problem?

o

calypso -- is sani a cycle with spin? if the clothes are soapy you're using waaay too much soap. Wet could mean the cycle is cutting out but is it wring-out-the-water wet or wet after a spin cycle?

o

ASKO Repair Manual CD? I know a few people on this forum have asked but I have yet to see an answer or link to where this can be obtained. Can anyone help out?

Note: I have a 20605 washer. The repair man comes out every 10 months for repairs. Great machines! I have had them 6 - 7 years now and can't afford the repairs on my own dime anymore. Trying to find a way to fix an F2 code on my own.

Thanks all - great forum by the way.

o

ATTN: schroederism

Would be happy to hear from you, if you do find out how to obtain a Repair Manual CD. (I would like to get my hands on one, before I really need it!)
Thanks,

o

Is it possible to do machine dyeing in an Asko?
I have in mind some short cafe curtains that I
would like to dye. Not sure if it can be done
in a front loader of this type that conserves
water so well!

T.I.A.

o

Hi everyone,

I remember some discussion a while back regarding the cold water hose on the ASKO washers. I have an ASKO 6761 washer, and it looks like I will need a slightly longer, more flexible cold water hose. Have any owners successfully found an aftermarket hose that will work with the metric connector on the washer?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Rich

o

Update: my 6021 machine cannot be fixed. It is being replaced.

o

Parts break-down, and service manual CD available from ASKO in Houston, or at least that's where I recall we got ours.

I was somewhat disappointed with the service manual part, as it included less instruction than I expected. I guess it assumes a general level of washer-repair knowledge that I didn't have to start with. That said, I have found it very useful none-the-less, especially the parts assembly diagrams.

Molly~

PS: Try to call very early in the AM Houston time, as their telephone wait-times on incoming calls are outrageous!

o
RE: Asko Door Panel

How do you Asko owners like the drop down door panel? It seems as though it would be in the way.

o

I was wondering what most people have experienced with the long term (post-warranty) maintenance costs and frequency of keeping their Askos running.

If there is anyone that could describe their maintenance schedule while owning their Asko, it would give us a good glimpse of what others have experienced and what to anticipate as "normal" for Askos.

We are in the great situation of having a mom who wants to buy us a HE FL stackable set. I'm very excited by the propsect but considering that we very well could have renters (hopefully friends) in about 3 to 5 years, I'm a bit worried that there may be more disadvantages than the salesman would like to share with us. We are a HH of 3 people and will stay that size for the next decade or so.

But here are some important points about our situation -

*The store sells the highest volume of Askos in the tri-state area; for instance our neighbor accross the street owns an Asko purchased there.

*Most of the people who would live in our house would be use to FL'ers and would be conscious of the hiccups that might occur over time.

*We are very much DIY and are used to tinkering with parts and machines BUT we are also busy enough that it would be a major pain in the hiney to have to take a morning off of work to wait for the repair person or for a part to come in the mail or to replace a part with frequency.

We are able to afford the W6021 and thought the T711 would work just fine. Does anyone have any suggestions if those are the models we should go for? We don't need bells and whistles, we just want have highly efficient units and clean clothes!

We are sold on the Askos performance, but have also been very happy with our Bosch dishwasher and have considered the Axxis. We also went in thinking about the Danby for the price but since we have the blessings of my mother to look around the $1700 range, we looked at the Eurotech and LG. The LG looks good but I would want to wait for a few years to see how reliable they are. The Eurotech doesn't feel as solid as the Asko or seem to perform as well.

We don't need the capacity of the American made machines but am sold on the 3 year warranty of the Asko and really value the ability to stack them.

I look forward to hearing helpful suggestions and any details about the maintenance of Askos.

o

Question - anyone else having problems with the drum rollers flat spotting on a T760 / T761 Dryer causing a thumping sound during operation?
I just replaced the rollers in a used machine (4 years new) and 60-90 days after the install - it is thumping even worse now.
At 40 / set plus service install on the rollers, this high end dryer should do better. It is not a warranty covered item at this time and neither is the drum / basket if it turns out to have gone out of round.

Cheers,

PS - fatlester - what was that about a 'lightning strike' and having a problem with a circuit board on the washer!
Also - how does having to rent a car and drive 90 miles come into play if you can consider buying high end appliances for a weekend vacation home? Curious but not any of our business!

o

Stewball,

I hate the drop down door! It's a royal in my opinion, because you have to reach across it to reach into the back of the drum. My drop down door is in the closet and has been for many years.

For some reason, though, people seem to think your clothes would fall on the floor without it. I just set a laundry basket right up against the front of the machine - just like I do with my Miele machines.

Herschel,

I have owned Asko machines since the early 90's. They are (according to my husband who does the work on them) are pretty straightforward to work on. None of ours has ever seen an authorized service tech, as we live in odd places around the world where there are none. The biggest pain in the neck is getting parts. Particularly the correct ones for our earliest washing machine which was on the cusp of a design change-over so its serial number does not always correctly predict which type we need - grrrrh!

We have ordered parts from authorized service/parts places, local dealers and direct from Houston.

We've had one out-of-warranty major repair (timing mechanism) on one washer (which has had very hard continuous use); no repairs to a second washer which has only had about a year or so's continuous use, despite being more than a decade old (it's a 50hz model, and was purchased overseas) and one warranty-covered replacement of a motor on a dryer (it croaked after about 6 months, was replaced and has been going fine ever since, though I don't use my dryer much compared to most people).

I really like my Askos, but frankly aside from cleaning the cabinet from time to time, I don't do any "maintenance". I do examine the hoses, clean the inlet filters and "coin-return" slot aka the drain clean-out once or twice per year. That's it.

I'm not sure I'd use f/l, and Euros at that in a rental. They do take a bit of getting used to, and some people are too inflexible to adapt. But you could always take them out for a rental, and keep them for yourselves...

Molly~

o

Nitz -- lightning strike had no affect whatsoever on the washer. Two cycles never worked from the day it was installed and still do not. It's being swapped out.

Many people in NYC rent cars and don't own. When you do the math it's way cheaper than cost of car, garage, insurance, maintenance.

Herschel -- I have a 6021. No drop down door. Get the door unless you want clothes on the floor or always put a laundry basket against the machine. I don't have one so I'm speaking from experience. It looked superfluous but it's not.

As for maintenace, I've seen the inside of my machine a lot. When they remove the top you have a large electronic controller board, some connectors and a gasket and the top of the drum. There's not much you can tinker with in there. It's completely controlled by the controller board. When anything goes wrong, they switch out the controller board unless something is wrong with the drum or door.

Controller board now even has door open automatically at end of cycle. Just pops open -- no way around it.

I love the washer. It does an amazing job on clothes even in the altered state of mine which has 2 cycles that never worked for some reason.

I'm getting the new one next week.

o

FWIW.

From Appliance Advisor:

"Antonio Merloni Extends Employee Vacation Benefits Indefinitely

"Antonio Merloni", the Fabriano, Italy owner of ASKO and Eurotech is in the news.
(not to be confused with Merloni Elettrodomestici, now known as Indesit Company, the manufacturer of the Ariston brand and owned by Antonio's brothers Francesco and Vittorio)

It has been reported in Italian newspapers that upwards of 1000 Fabriano area employees will be allowed to connect their August shutdown, Christmas break, and frequent religious and local holidays into a continuous, uninterrupted and perpetual leave from their present employee related responsibilities. We are still checking into the cause of this unwelcome largess."

TJ

Here is a link that might be useful: ApplianceAdvisor.com

o
.....Just a follow-up thought.....

Regarding my previous post, Appliance Advisor has an update:

"Antonio Merloni is opening later this year a new lower cost Ukrainian production facility and will be reducing its Italian production employment over the course of the year through attrition, relocation, and finally layoff."

TJ

Here is a link that might be useful: ApplianceAdvisor.com

o

AMG may be allowing workers around Fabriano to take extra vacation time off, and may be opening a new facility in the Ukraine to reduce its Italian workforce, but Asko washers and dryers are made in Vara, Sweden and Lahti, Finland, so these snippets from Appliance Advisor are irrelevant. AMG purchased Asko five years ago but the former Swedish company still builds its Asko, Upo, Elto and Cylinda brand appliances in its original Scandanavian factories, not in Italy (though they do outsource their combo from Merloni.)

o

I was in Vancouver BC on October 10, 2005. Noticed The Bay and Middland appliances have the Ariston brand products on display? Would it be worth starting a new Post regarding the Ariston products? Still a happy camper with my two Asko Washers and Dryers. Was wondering how fatlester washer replacement was going? Did they replace with another ASKO product? Best Jeff

o

Ariston, named for the Merloni brother's father, Aristide Merloni, founder of Industrie Merloni, is making a concerted entrance into the North American market, but overall reports of their washers haven't been too favorable. If you start a new thread on Ariston, don't be surprised if most of the posts are rather negative.

Ariston, incidentally, is a product line of Indesit, the former Merloni Electtrodomestici, and is not a part of the Antonio Merloni Group which purchased Asko in 2000. Indesit also sells under the Indesit, Scholts, Hotpoint (Europe) and other brands, but has no connection with Asko/Cylinda.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ariston North America

o

spewey,

"so these snippets from Appliance Advisor are irrelevant."

Like I care what you think! It's still applicable to Asko and the overall company.

I guess you have nothing better to do than repeat what was already posted above:

"(not to be confused with Merloni Elettrodomestici, now known as Indesit Company, the manufacturer of the Ariston brand and owned by Antonio's brothers Francesco and Vittorio)".

TJ

o

FYI, Upo and Elto appliances are nothing else than rebadged Ardo, Servis (or whatever they are called) machines. The Merloni group just uses a lot of names for the same washers. Only the Asko and Cylinda machines are made in Scandinavia.

o

New washer installed and what a difference!

Clearly I had a lemon before. So all of you who blamed the repair guy shouldn't be so quick to do that the next time.

The normal wash cycle is shorter and there are different cycles on this machine than on the last one. Little wonder a new controller board didn't work in the old unit.

Everything works, excellent results. And it's wonderful to finally have a delicate cycle and get what I paid for.

o

Well, it's been six months since my purchase and I finally installed the ASKO washer and dryer this afternoon (The laundry room project took much longer than expected). I have to say that my first two loads (whites and bed sheets) looked brighter and cleaner than I can remember them being. The whites were much whiter and the sheets and pillow cases look almost new. I am really happy with my purchase so far, and I sure am glad I can finally stop going to the laundromat! :)

Regards,

Rich

o

Congrats Rich, your clothes will be cleaner than ever before. You've paid a lot for your machines, but the lower cost of operating (energy, water, detergent) and the longer life of your clothes will pay you back over the long life of your machine and more. Remember, you need no detergent the first time you wash any load; there's enough residual detergent in the clothes to clean them well (see the Asko web site).

Yes, we were amazed at the results the first time we ran loads; we virtually restored old fabrics to new condition. It really is amazing what these machines can do.

o

@ spewey

Are you sincere, or you just make advertisement of ASKO? No detergents is needed for the first wash?
This is ridiculous... . You wash with water only? dirty clothes? residual detergent... Please be honest...

The rest washing devices rinse too. And not only one time...

o

paupertino,

I am totally sincere...ask anyone here LOL.

From the FAQ on the Asko website (as I noted earlier for Rich to refer to):

What happened to that wonderful smell of clean I used to get when I opened my top loader?
It's been washed down the drain, where it really belongs. That "wonderful" smell you are used to is actually perfume the detergent makers use to cover up the smell of detergent left in your clothes. This left-over detergent is why your white clothes turn gray and your colored clothes look dull. In fact, there is so much detergent already in your clothes, you don't need to use any detergent the first time you wash them in an ASKO.

A number of us who own Asko machines over the years have followed these instructions and yes, there are plenty of suds just from the detergent residue. If you have a top-loader, there's residue in your clothes as well. Just throw them in an Asko and you'll see.

Here is a link that might be useful: Asko Laundry FAQs

o

I bought my 6461 washer and 731 dryer in April '05.

I started having problems 9/05. A couple of times the cycle finished but there was still water in the machine which needed to drain before the door opened. The clothes were very wet and I had to put them thru another cycle.
Not long after that, the clothes no longer had as dry a feel to them when I used the 1600rpm spin. They would be ok, but not as dry as before.

The repair tech has been out and does not (literally) "see" a problem. He claims he can tell if a machine is spinning properly by LOOKING at the front of the machine while it spins. He says he can tell just by looking thru the glass door the difference between a 1200 rpm cycle and 1600 rpm!?!
He also called Asko and they said there was no way to check the rpms on a machine. He claims they said that if it sounds like a jet taking off then it is spinning properly. It doesn't matter that my clothes no longer feel as dry, and some even feel wetish.

I'm stunned that according to the repair man and Asko there is no way to verify that the spin cycle is working @ 1600 rpms or @ less. To them, if it spins at all it must be working properly. I'm having another repair person come out, but am concerned that the response will be the same.

Has anyone else heard of problems with the spin cycle not working as well as before?

Thanks!

P.S. The problem is not W/ over sudsing because I only use 1-1 1/2 T of Persil Mega Pearls.

o

There is a problem with these machines. The replacement worked well the first few times and now the same two cycles -- delicate and wool -- do not complete. I get sopping wet stuff and must go through another rinse and spin cycle just to open the door, which otherwise stays locked with soaking wet stuff inside.

The company was terrible to deal with. I had to break heads to get the machine replaced and the new one isn't good either.

I will never buy another Asko appliance nor would I recommend this brand again. Their quality control and service sucks.

o

For Fatlester,

I was wondering what detergent you are using on the delicate and woolen cycles? It is very odd that the problem only appears in those two cycles and on two different machines.

When I have an over-suds event, still-wet clothes can be one possible outcome.

My Asko machines are much older than yours, so our cycles are not identical, but I have found that the higher water levels and many of the "for delicates" powders and liquids will predispose for more suds than is good. Also you know that you're supposed to put in much smaller loads on those cycles? I confess, I don't always obey this rule. (Hey - you can't cut a wool blanket in half and wash it in two pieces!)

How much and which detergent are you using in wool/delicate?
Some products like Woolite, etc. create mounds of suds if you just wave the bottle at the machine. I've had good luck with Perwool powder, Delicare (though only a teaspoon of it) and a variety of specialty wool and down washing products.

What happens if you put a small load of well-washed cotton items through a delicate/wool cycle without any det. at all? Does the too-wet-to-open-door problem replicate itself?

For Calypsocat: You could mark one of the vanes or make a line on the back of the drum and use a timing light to check RPM, I believe. I have often contemplated doing this out of curiousity, but never taken the trouble. And I think one and one half TABLESPOONS of Mega Pearls may be too much. Have you considered skipping detergent for a cycle or two and seeing what happens? The dosing regimen on the package is out of whack for most US water supplies.

It is very frustrating to have a washing machine that isn't working - one of my Mieles is in the doghouse at the moment: I am on the *second* round of replacing the same expensive part - so I can feel your pain. And my own dealings with Asko (in Richardson) have sometimes been extremely frustrating, so I can sympathize with that, too. Still the machines have served me well for a long time. I have to say though, that in truth, some of my biggest complaints about performance have been due to my own (inappropriate) choices of cycle, loading, detergent, etc., and when I got that sorted out, the machines forgave me and we've been happy ever since.

I would try washing some test cycles without any detergent (multiple times in order to remove residues) and see if the problem replicates itself afterward. Then re-introduce the tiniest amounts of detergent. FWIW, to Calypsocat, I only use one and one half TABLESPOONS on full-sized, all-cotton loads, and I'm just using a standard US (non-HE) powder. MegaPearls is much more concentrated so much less would be required. I also dispense using actual kitchen measuring spoons, rather than by eye, as I have found I can't do that very accurately (though I thought I was until I checked it.)

Molly~

o

@Fatlester

You are totally right. Except Miele there is no other quality manufactures left. In scope to cut the cost, they produce terrible machines-bad boards, bad motors, and bad service. Only good design. However, for what?
All is gone-good Bosh, good Siemens, and good old AEG. Nevertheless, what you waiting for, if almost all of these traditionally German brands are now in the hands of the Italians and Elektrolux...
Now it is time for ASKO to be destroyed. There is no possible machines, which costs almost 1000 US$ each to have defective boards from the "birth". No way. You see-all is gone. Welcome to the LG, FG, Maytags,Indesit and all of this sort of stuff-crap. Lemons "by birth".
Soon the Russians will come with their terrible quality and "bye-bye Mr.Dean"-3 time in the week the service man will knock on your door...for service.

o

Since Part 4 has gone past the 100 entry cutoff, I've started a new topic.
Please continue posting Asko Washers & Dryers information in Part 5 linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: ASKO Washers and Dryers - Part 5

o

Housekeeping,

What part on the Miele keeps breaking?

CR

o

rscatigno

Threads have been increased to 300 from 100. Posts have been increased to 1000 from 300. Lots more room now!!

Bruce

o

It's not a detergent problem or a load size problem. I have never used more than 1/2 tablespoon of Tide HE in either washer. The delicate and wool loads are always small. All my loads tend to be small as I sort very carefully and there are only two of us.

I have never even seen suds in the tub nor are there any suds in the rise or spin.

I also know how to use the washer.

It's something in the controller board, quite obviously. The delicate cycle worked properly once. The wool has never worked. It is a brand new machine.

Now I need to decide whether I am going to insist the distrubutor takes back the washer and the dryer and refunds my money. It is outrageous that a brand new $800 washing machine does not work on 2 cycles.

o

Not sure where to post 4 or 5. But here goes.
Just had my first repair for my asko 781 dryer. Needed a fuze bypass. Did anyone ever know that in the back of the dryer there is a air intake spot that was so full of lint and stuff. I have never heard about this in any post. It was very thick and the washer dryer set is 2 years old. Just thought I would let everyone know it might be something to check. The repair man said he doesn't thing this had anything to do with the problem because we all know about the fuze trouble. Just a thought?%0

o

Housekeeping: Thanks for the info regarding checking rpms! I will try to find someone to do this for me.

Also, I tend to wash full loads, so that is why I use 1 1/2 T, but I will try cutting back.

The repair people want to replace the drain pump, just in case that is a factor in the clothes not feeling as dry after the 1600 rpm spin cycle. I wonder if there is a down side to replacing the pump, because I'm not convinced it's the problem...

Meanwhile, the washer has started to loudly sqeak when rotating during a wash cyle. It sqeaked when rotating both clockwise and counter clock wise. The squeaking continued yesterday during a couple of loads, both small. It even squeaked when empty and I rotated the drum by hand.

Now, mysteriously, it has stopped sqeaking. Does anyone have any ideas?

The repair guy returns on Wed.

Thanks!

Also, should we continue to use Part 4 until it fills, or switch to Part 5 to end
the confusion?

o

My 6761 makes little noises during the drum rotation too, but nothing resembling a squeek -- more like quiet creaking. I would ask your service person about the squeek, and show him.

o

I have been lurking for a few weeks, trying to decide on a new FL set. The forum is great - thanks to everybody for being so helpful. We spent time last night at a local appliance shop looking at the ASKO machines. The salesman said they do not have any problems getting parts. He said each machine is assembled by one person, who does not get paid until the machine passes a two hour test. Whether true or not, it was creative! He also said that the prices are fixed by ASKO, $1049 for the W6021W titanium, and that prices will probably go up 2-5% on January 1, 2006.

It does seem that ASKO has improved the quality of their machines the past year or so, but I am still leery. We live in the country, about 50 miles from the dealer, and I dread having to deal with a machine that is unreliable and with poor replacement parts availability.

I will keep reading the posts and go look at Miele, and rob a bank along the way!

gary

o

Take a look at the "I hate ASKO" thread and take what your sales person says with a big grain of salt. Remember, they want to make the sale -- afterwards, if you experience a service nightmare, you can't go back to the sales person who most likely will be long gone.

Something to consider with any purchase is the service -- I would talk to the service people about the Asko, and their ability to service it as well as the Miele or any other brands you are considering, and go with the path of least resistance.

o

Asko did have a long run of making products with service issues. They did retool some years ago and the problems seem considerably fewer these days. They also extended their base warranty to three years, which indicates more faith in their manufacturing, though again make sure it can be serviced locally.

Do ask your service people about the ability to service ANY appliance. If you can find a Miele at a comparable price, it would be worth considering.

o

Thanks for your replies. The Miele set will cost much more, plus their warranty requires that you live within 50 miles of an authorized service center to have them come out for service, and we live much further away. So, if they don't need service I am OK!!!!!! I talked with the nearest authorized dealer and he said they sell very few MIeles any more due to all the lower priced alternatives. He said they sell the larger Fridgidaire FL about 30 to 1 to the next most popular unit.

On the other hand, the ASKO dealer is a local company, actually about 35 miles away, but we live within their service territory. I will try to talk with their service people before making up my, or rather our mind!!! Thanks again for your help.

gary

o

I just posted a message in the I HATE Asko thread. Just to summarize, I've found the Asko W6021/T711 washer/dryer pair to be a good one. A co-worker has found her family's pair to be good also. Ensuring that your machine can be serviced by a reliable company is a good idea. Good luck.

o

"He said each machine is assembled by one person, who does not get paid until the machine passes a two hour test. Whether true or not, it was creative!"

That was very creative indeed. Considering the strict social laws in Scandinavian countries, that is very unlikely! LOL

o

Hey everyone,

I've just gotten back to the Forum and just read calypsocat's post. First, I need to say that I still love my washer and dryer and do not regret my purchase at all. I'm still getting great cleaning results! :)

Now, just about 3 weeks ago my 6761 washer started to make a horrible squeaking noise only during clockwise drum rotations. I noticed that the squeaking usually went away by the third load of wash, but started up after the washer sat for a few hrs. I contacted Asko last Friday and they had a repair guy out here on Dec 27th who confirmed the noise and, after a phone consultation with Asko Techs, said there was nothing that could be done aside from replacing the entire innards of the washer. I told him I would try to live with it for now and *maybe* it would eventually go away. Well, it's just been getting worse. I contacted Asko again last night and was told to call back Tuesday when the regular staff was back to work. Asko wants to have a conference call with myself and the repair technician to resolve this issue. I will keep you all posted as to the progress.

Happy New Year!

Regards,

Rich

o

On Mon,Dec 12, calypsocat wrote:

Also, should we continue to use Part 4 until it fills, or switch to Part 5 to end
the confusion?

This is all my fault. I wasn't aware that there was no longer a 100 post cutoff and created Part IV. :( Sorry for the confusion.

Regards,

Rich

o

Will the stainless Asko's match the look of a stainless frig/dishwasher etc. in the same room. Installing stainless appliances in my smalll kitchen, and need to swap out the staking washer/dryer (presently white) at the same time, as they are exposed. Worried about whether the stainless on the various appliances will match.

o

First off, thank you everyone for such great discussion, I've been reading through this veritable treasure trove of information and finding lots of good info.

I'm currently looking at buying a used Asko washer/dryer set. The ad claims that it is a W620 and a T700. I've tried to look up information on these, but it is fairly scant. Does anybody have any stories on reliability of this particular pair? Anything I should watch out for?

Thanks,

marc

o

Marc,

There are three reviews on Epinions on the washer, all negative. This was one of the last machines produced by Asko before they improved their quality control. Still, may be a good deal if you get a very good price. How much are they asking?

o

The reason that I came here is that they all had _very_ negative reviews, but then everyone else seems to be very pro-Asko. When I read the reviews, a lot of their complaints seem to be very similar to the ones that people here were having.

They're asking $200 for the pair.

o

That's entirely different. At $200, I'd jump at the chance to purchase an Asko set.

o

"Threads have been increased to 300 from 100."

As we've learned recently, the thread limit is 150 posts and not 300 as originally indicated...

TJ

o

Yes, even though Tamara from iVillage informed me on November 28, 2005 that thread limits would be 300, I've noticed the 150 limit several weeks ago. I wrote back but never heard back from her. The thread count did increase substanitally to 943 from 300.

Bruce

o

I bought an Asko Washer and dryer on a close out about a year ago and I just installed it, (house renovations took forever.) I think they're older models, the washer is the 6021 and the dryer is 711. Although I just started using them, so far they're terrific. The washer spins so fast that the clothes are very very dry when the come out of the machine, so even towels dry fast. I hope the machines keep working so well!!! I got a good deal I think, $900 for the pair. If they keep going I'll be very pleased!!! It's great that they fit in my little closet.

o

Madelaine,

You got a very good deal. I have the W6021 and it's performed flawlessly. I paid nearly that much for the washer alone. Mine is the older W6021 without the drop-down door; if your's has the drop down front door, it's a newer model. Also, the T711 model is relatively recent; the basic dryer five or six years ago was the T701. So yes, you should be very excited about the price you paid for your purchase. With your utility savings, you should pay off the cost of the machines in just a few years.

o

Not always draining fully - and NO coins in lint trap

I cannot debug this problem: occassionally when I put clothes into the washer, I realized there is some water at the bottom of the drum. I clean the lint trap but find there are absolutely no coins there, which would potentially block the water.

I'm thinking it's either that one of the other cycles that I use occasionally like the WOOL/HAND WASH is broken?

I also notice that my detergent drawer, that much of the time there is leftover water in the 3rd/fabric softener compartment. This happens more frequently than the left over water.

Any ideas?

o

Does anyone have a ASKO WCAM1812 and like it?

-Traci

o

I just wanted to chime in and let you all know that I had the PLEASURE of calling Asko today to inquire about why my T761 wasn't allowing me to set all of the options such as Buzzer on/off and anti-crease time -- my display was replaced about a year ago and I wonder if they stuck in a different control board without me knowing about it.

Anyway, long story short, the customer service was excellent even though the CSR was kind of an airhead, but very pleasant and scheduled a service call for me promptly and I got through to a human being in under 2 min. flat after calling -- that's prompt!

So I'm sure there are some bad experiences here, but my experience has been pretty good. I also checked out some reviews on epinions and other sites, and you should be careful because a lot of those negative opinions were posted by the same person. I can't imagine everyone's experience with Asko has been universally bad.

o

I also got a pair of Asko's on closeout, and finally had them installed (in a cabinet, in the kitchen) and I love them! They run quietly, so even though they are here in the kitchen, I can run the laundry and have conversations right in the kitchen. It's weird to say this, but even with all the other really cool things I did in my kitchen, the built-in laundry center is my pride and joy! (I need to get a life...)

o

I have a W620, its been running great for approx. 7 years. A week ago, it stopped running and the control dial stopped at S (for service call). I can start any cycle and the unit will fill with water as it should, however, when it attempts to tumble, nothing happens. The dial revolves to S and all things stop. I had a technician come by to eval and he said the motor was shot. Does this sound like a reasonable explanation? Is the motor repair something that I, a high functioning DIY, can do myself? I appreciate any input.
Mickey

o

I had a mild squeeking issue with my 6761, under warranty, and the tech came out and replaced the motor -- it was squeeking during clockwise rotation. He popped the back and replaced that baby in about 10 min. I'd say it's definitely a DIY job, easy as pie.

By the way, those motors are build like TANKS oh my!

o
Asko 4-year testimonial

When I was in the market to replace our washer/dryer some 4-years ago, I found the GardenWeb forums to be the most informative source on the subject. Based on what I read here then, I purchased an Asko washer and dryer. This was shortly after Asko had introduced the longer warranty. I have decided to repay my debt of gratitude by providing this 4-year progress report for the benefit other shoppers.

In short, we are extremely pleased with both Asko units. Mine are the equivalent to the current low-end models (button and knob controls). We have the dryer mounted on top of the washer and have had zero problems over 4 years.

There is only one relatively minor annoyance with the washer. My S.O. insists on using liquid softener which results in a gooey dark organic substance growing in the soap dispenser tray.

Ours is a typical plywood-on-joist floor construction but we have never felt any vibrations from the spin cycle. In fact, it never ceases to amaze me whenever I have an opportunity to witness the well-engineered shock-absorption suspension handle out-of-balance loads at the beginning of the rinse/spin cycle.

Many question the tub capacity. I'd venture to say if you can stuff it in there, it will wash it just fine. We do queen-sized comforters with no problems. We have always used Tide HE powder, FWIW (only HE we can find in Boise).

The dryer continues to work fine despite the fluke, four or five months ago, of having had a tennis shoe fold over and become wedged between the inner door lip and a drum paddle, causing the dryer to cease functioning. When I came home and pried the shoe out, I was amazed that the dryer seemed to have reset itself and has been performing flawlessly ever since.

All in all, Asko gets my enthusiastic vote of confidence. The increased versatility of on-board water heater and 1,200 RPM spin, plus the reduced water usage (we are on well and septic system) makes it one of the brighter and more satisfying purchases I have ever made. Should also mention that we recognize the cleaning ability to be quite superior to the old top-loader it replaced.

Dave

o

I'm glad that those with good experiences are posting as well, instead of just the horror stories.

I love my Asko as well!

o

I have a 2 year old T781 Condenser Dryer which drains into the same drain as the washer. Yesterday water appeared UNDERNEATH the dryer and I can't detect where it is coming from. I clean the condenser every month (flush it out) and remove lint from the filter after every load. The machine is drying properly and there is no warning on the screen. Help!

o
Leaking/leftover water - follow up

HI,

(I thought I had a more recent posting about trying to trouble shootmy issue - if someone can tell me how to locate an Asko Washers & Dryers - Part 5 I would appreciate it)..

ANYWAY, i found that I have an INLET valve problem... I will collect about 2 cups of clear water every day that the machine is turned off and I am not using it. This after draining off the original residue from laundry via the pintrap/outlet tube. So if I thought I had some dry laundry waiting to be washed in the drum, a day or two later I found it would be soaking wet.

Hoping it's not a big expensive thing to repair!

o

I posted this on another thread and am not sure I am navigating this properely but here it is again:
Please do not consider buying an Asko dryer. I own one, used for 1 year. Three repairs to pull large amounts of lint from the blower assembly(I always remove lint from screen). The repair techs at Hi Tech appliance in Broomfield CO say it is a design flaw. They do not carry ASKO products but certainly repair them, as according to them it is the most repaired appliance at their shop. Corp office will not support unit. If you want to toss 1K into toilet, buy one. Unit W^ 221 Quattro 1200rpm.
Rick Young

o

I have had my Asko units (W6761 and T761) for 3 years. The only problem I had with the dryer was a snapped belt (my fault) and then it needed the factory-authorized fuse bypass.

Other than that, it's been working like a dream -- no lint problems whatsoever. Where should I be looking for this hidden mystery lint?

The Asko manual recommends a routine check of the fan assembly for trapped lint -- is this what you're speaking of? If so, it's right there in the manual.

When you say "corp office will not support unit", what do you mean? If you bought it new and have had it for 1 year, then all your repairs are covered under the 3 year warranty -- how is Asko not supporting your unit?

o

I purchased an Asko washer/ dryer in 1994. And then another washer in 2006
1994 Dryer:I am still using the dryer although it has always had quirks that do not allow drying an entire load without the fuse blowing (I can live with this, but hope that a new model would not have this issue.)

1994 Washer:Had it serviced 3 times and the last time it required a new motor. It lasted 12 years for family of 3.

2006 Washer purchased 6461 quatro 1600rpm and have the following problems... HELP
1. Fraying of expensive dress shirts at collar and cuffs after 6 - 8 washings
We will experiment with increasing water levels and shortening wash times as per suggestions in thread Frayed clothing with a FL?
2. Clothes come out stiff, we are using Tide HE liquid as per instructions in level 29 (moderately soft water) This is most annoying HELP any suggestions
3. Have noticed damp ( can wring water out ) clothes at the end of wash cycle and have to run additional spin cycle. I am headed toward calling for service under suspicion of rear bearings seizing as per calypsocat post Wed Aug 16,2006
Any ASKO experts out there who can offer any advice on above 3 issues. At my wits end.
Thanks
xpat_2007

o

The fraying issue could be due to a piece of clothing in the wash with an open zipper -- make sure you close up all zippers. Take some nylons and run them over the interior surface of the washer and dryer to make sure your clothes aren't snagging on anything.

Rough clothing is an indicator that you are using too much detergent. Are you also using a fabric softener? I have soft water from a whole house softener, and use 1 TBS of powedered detergent (Bi-O-Kleen Premium) with excellent results.

As far as the clothes being wet after a spin, this sounds like a hardware issue -- next time, watch the unit when it spins to see if it achieves maximum speed.

o

We are thinking of purchasing a used Asko washer 6761 and the T761/781 dryer. It is about a year and a half or 2 years old. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments on whether it would be a good buy.. We will be able to purchase it for about $2000-$2500 CND. The owner of the store says that it use to sell for upwards of $6000 and that the guy that is selling them bought them at around $4500. The reason for the purchase would be to place them upstairs on the 3rd floor instead of in the basement of our townhome.
Any input, positive or negative would be appreciated.
Thanks..

Teal

o

Can someone give more details about how to get the repair/parts list CD for ASKO washer/dryer?

I called ASKO in Richardson, TX and talked to Parts but they had no clue what I was talking about.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here