Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canuck99_gw

Is there some special or correct way to level a FL?

canuck99
15 years ago

Do you just level front/back and then side to side?

How accurate do you have to be or is there some other secret we need to expose and watch for?

Comments (14)

• georgect
    15 years ago

After leveling (with a bubble level) front to back and side to side, just make sure you either place weight (push down) on all four corners to be sure feet are firmly supporting the washer or put the washer through a rinse/spin and make sure when the machine is spinning that the feet are firmly supporting the washers weight.

You can CAREFULLY tweak the leggs height and firmness while the washer is spinning.

• dadoes
    15 years ago

I just happened to read a procedure in the last couple days. Get the machine bubble-level. Place a sheet of paper beneath each leg. This is assuming the legs have rubber pads, which pretty much they all do. Set the machine on spin with a load of towels or something that would trigger some vibration, then try pulling the paper out from beneath each leg. It should not pull out easily, if at all. If so, adjust the leg a *tiny* bit downward as needed.

• wa8b
    15 years ago

When checking level with a spirit level (the correct name for a bubble level), place the level vertically on the font or back of the machine, then on one of the sides. Placing the level on the top of the machine may not give an accurate reading.

In addition to insuring that the machine is properly leveled, it's important that the weight of the machine is evenly distributed on all four feet. The paper test described above sounds like a good starting point, but the only sure test is by trial and error. When spin testing, be sure you have something fairly heavy in the wash drum. A couple of big bath towels will usually suffice. If your machine is on a solid floor, you should be able to get the feet adjusted without too many attempts. When the spin cycle begins, if you get a lot of bucking or vibration, the machine isn't properly leveled. Keep tweaking the adjustment until the machine no longer vibrates or rocks.

• bob_f
    15 years ago

Here's an excellent "how-to" post by forum member Bruce that I saved from a few years ago:

It's not a matter of all four feet just "touching" the floor but rather all the weight of the washer "evenly" distributed >between all four legs<. this is not something you just eye or guess at. it takes time to tweek the leveling legs and get right. best have a load that vibrates spinning at adjust legs. throw bubble level away forget about once washer sitting relatively pleasing eye. below method i recommend smoothest operation from your machine:>Tweek the leveling legs with a load spinning until you get the smoothest operation. Bubble leveling is not nearly as critical as having the full weight of the machine "evenly" distributed between all four legs. Again, don't use a bubble level during the final leveling procedure. Start by tightening up the back two legs and their lock nuts first and then finish the tweeking process on the front two legs last. You don't want to be moving the machine out to tweek the rear legs so get them adjusted and lock nuts tight "first". Then position the washer in its final resting place before finishing up the adjustments on the front two legs.

Get down on the floor and examine each foot as the load is spinning. I like to lay down on the floor with my eyes level with the legs. Most likely you'll see one leg moving more than the others. Use a bright light to check this. The leveling leg that moves the most is not supporting enough weight. Thread that leg towards the floor or out from the washer a tad bit and make very small adjustments until you get the least movement and smoothest operation.

You may have to do this again in several months as the machine settles into the flooring material. Also try to thread the leveling legs in as close as possible to the chassis to start with.. only allowing enough space to fit an open end wrench to tighten up the lock nuts. The farther out the leveling legs are threaded, the more chance of vibration. Make sure the lock nuts are tight up against the chassis when finished. Remember, if the leveling legs are threaded out to far and the lock nuts left loose, more vibration will occur.

I'm willing to bet that if owners would follow this simple procedure there would be alot less vibration complaints. A little patience goes a long way so take your time and do it right!

Good Luck!

Bob

Here is a link that might be useful: How to balance a front loader?

• canuck99
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great tips and I assume it will work for dryers.

• bob_f
    15 years ago

Yes, the same tips will work for dryers.

Although the washers are more prone to shaking because of the larger forces generated by spinning heavy, water-soaked loads.

• canuck99
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Will get to try this out in a couple of weeks when the new Samsung pair arrive.

• housekeeping
    15 years ago

And when your machines are finally properly level make sure you mark exactly where the feet rest on the floor. That way if you have to move the machine for maintenance or cleaning, you can get it right back to the same spot. Even small variations in floor height can necessitate another tedious round of tweaking the feet on the machine. Not my idea of a fun way to spend an hour. Depending on your flooring, tape or Sharpie marks will do the trick.

Molly~

• canuck99
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks I will mark the front 2 feet both front/back and side to side which should then set the back feet.

• somonica
    15 years ago

Thank you very much for sharing the correct way to level a FL! My Miele W4840 used to vibrate a bit in High spin (but always stable at Max spin!). Now its *completely* stable at all spin speed! And its so much quieter too!! :)

• canuck99
    Original Author
    15 years ago

som,

How much did you have adjust the front legs? Did you try the dryer?

• somonica
    15 years ago

First we just adjust the front / back legs by bubble level..... then I put in a wet load and spin it. As the Miele going up to speed, I just try to get in a sheet of paper beneath each leg. As its get to the vibration speed, I can see one of the rear not touching the floor! Bingo! I just screw down that leg and *zero* vibration! Ha! I'm so happy!! :)

And No, I didn't buy that Dryer..... I think I'll hang on for few more years and get one of those heat pump dryer!

Here is a link that might be useful: Super cool Miele heat pump dryer!

• mark40511
    15 years ago

I also saw a video (wish I had the link) of the rubber pads you can buy and he tested his LG FL washer with them before and after. The difference was amazing.

• canuck99
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well the Samsung 448 is now installed. What vibration?

Checked the floor before installation on the main floor and it was level in all directions. Installed the washer and checked the level and it was good. Started a load and waited for the spin cycle. It hardly wiggled at high speed. I got down and could see no movement, I then placed my finger on the feet and the front left felt like it was moving more than than left front. The paper trick did not indicate anything. I unscrewed the front right leg out a little and the movement felt less.

I have a Whirlpool top for folding cloths and it works great. I had a glass of water on the top for diluting the fabric softner. The water was hardly moving in the glass on the high spin speed.

PS the washer seems great for the first few loads and the dryer took very little time getting the first batc of towels dry. Did I saw they are both quite.

Thanks for the tips.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths