Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierdoc_gw

How to balance a front loader?

hoosierdoc
15 years ago

We have a Bosch 800 Nexxt series front load washer. We just moved into a new house and installed it on a pedestal. The thing shimmies like crazy on spin cycle. I've put a level on the top and have the bubble smack in the middle from all ways I can check level. What's the next step to getting this thing balanced out? The movers has the screw in supports in the drum when they moved it. I can't shake the machine, seems stable on the legs.

Desperately needing some laundry done without bringing down the walls...

Comments (7)

• plumbly22
    15 years ago

Have you put the level on the sides vertically and then corner to corner on the top???If it wan't on a pedestal prior, remember the pedestals will make it more prone to vibrate (true for all brands)

• czechchick2
    15 years ago

My friend has Fl wirlpool on pedestal and it would not stay in place. It was leveled and on cement floor. The machine was vibrating,slipping and moving around and the pedestal was vibrating and noisy so they got rid of the pedestals. No problem after.

• regus_patoff
    15 years ago

My LG is on a pedestal in the basement on concrete with no movement.

• housekeeping
    15 years ago

The problem may be unequal weight on all four feet. Three feet may keep it level, but the fourth may not have the same psi on it.

Or the pedestal may have a defect that creates the same effect an uneven floor would do; again, causing unequal psi-loading on all four feet.

You can have the machines level, but still need to adjust the feet to extend, or retract, one, or more than one foot in order to do this. Some here do this during a spin in order to achieve the more secure footing. Ability to do this depends on whether you can easily access all four feet during a spin. These small adjustments could be rendered ineffective if the machine is subsequently moved off the precise points where the feet rested during the leveling process. (That's why you should always accurately mark the exact floor position before moving a machine. even for routine maintenance on an apparently flat floor.)

In my experience even adjusting the foot by a small an amount as the the thickness of, say a couple of playing cards, can make a noticeable change.

HTH,

Molly

• hoosierdoc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I checked the level on the sides, and am thinking the machine isn't square. Each of the two sides has to be raised to make it level. Now how does that happen? We adjusted things all over the place and it seems stable to rock it, but it's clearly not level.

The washing machine legs are off, it's resting on the plastic spacer on top of the pedestal, which has legs. I'm going to call HH Gregg to get them down since they sold us both w/d and pedestal. Also, the dumb washer gets mold in the detergent/softener area which they've been unable to fix on two trips by the repair people. Where's my tub and clothesline?!

• brenton_2008
    15 years ago

Last but not least, MAKE sure that the legs are not screwed out to the longest setting or your washer will shimmy a lot at the high speed spin out mode. When I am setting up a washer/new or old, I screw the legs as far up into the base, then go from there. The shorter the leg is out, the better the chance of having a balanced (no shimmy) washer. brenton.