Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What causes this: 
Weird symbols

Posted by BeeOHIO (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 10:28

These symbols appeared in my response post in the "Casseroles" thread (after each of the ingredients listed). I tried to edit them out,,, but then they didn't show up in the "preview" step of editing. So I did a copy/paste of the preview (sans the symbols 
) into the edit step. Yet again they showed up in the "edited" post.

I guess I should perhaps ask, "Does anyone else SEE this *** 
 WEIRD symbols*** in the post I am referencing? I've seen other peoples' posts that have these weird symbols in them, but had never before noticed any in my own.

Oh, & BTW....... I can't see them in the Preview of THIS post! So I'll have to wait until I Submit Message to see if they show up in THIS post??????

*scratching head*

Here is a link that might be useful: Do you see the weird symbols in my post here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What causes this: 
Weird symbols

No, it looks just fine.

o
Weird symbols

Bee, yes. I had just read your recipe (which sounds really good by the way). When I first opened the link, I thought the recipe looked fine and couldn't figure out why it had the symbols just minutes ago. Then I realized that the first recipe wasn't yours!

I have the problem but it does show up on my computer, so I go back and fix it. Wonder why yours doesn't show in "Preview"??

o
Weird symbols

I've been seeing those weird symbols for about a year now.
Way before they added the post editing option.

Pooh Bear

o
Weird symbols

It has to do with the encoding settings you have set in your browser.
You can try changing those settings . This is why some people see them and some don't.

o
Weird symbols

Please tell us how to do that, Raven.

o
Weird symbols

Okaayyyyyyyyy.....

Here's what I did: Clicked on the tool bar: View, scroll down to Encoding.
Then I switched from Western (ISO-8859-1) to UNICODE (UTF-8). No weird symbols on THIS thread,,,,, they disappeared!!

BUT.....
I opened another tab & checked THIS thread and the CASSEROLE thread..... the WEIRD SYMBOLS are back & the Encoding has switched back to Western (ISO-8859-1).
So it must be the default Encoding????

BTW, I checked my other browsers Safari & Chrome..... both show the WEIRD SYMBOLS.

***in wayyy over my head here****

o
Weird symbols

So....
I went to the original web page for the recipe & did another copy/paste from that site (as opposed to c/p from the recipe I've saved on my computer). I edited my casserole post... again!... Nope.... WEIRDS still there.
So, I'm guessing it must be something that is embedded on the recipe @ the website???
Here's the site for the recipe: http://www.pinfoody.com/loaded-baked-potato-and-chicken-casserole/

o
Weird symbols

To eliminate the symbols, go into your Tools, click on Encoding.

Check the box beside Unicode UTF-8

That should fix it.

o
Weird symbols

Each browser has different instructions ,not knowing the browser and version being used makes it difficult to give directions.

However, if you go to Google and enter your browser info plus encoding settings you should get directions for yours.

o
Weird symbols

I occasionally see those weird symbols and it seems to be comming from posts made by specific user's computers. It seems to be the interpretation of the coding for ASCII characters.

Other than setting the coding for your browser (the only choices I found in my browser was for setting the code for URL addresses.), I suppose there could be differences depending on the language based alphabet. Look in Internet options> general> fonts. There you will find a huge list of language choices. I have mine set for "latin based" language.

o
Weird symbols

Most browsers it's simply click on View, then Encoding, choose Unicode UTF-8. (Opera, K-meleon & Firefox use this way and I'd guess the elephant is the same but I don't even like to open it other than for Windows Updates.) Jasdip gave the directions for Chrome.

Some browsers won't let you set it permanently like Opera will. Some try to autodetect and chooses wrong.

I don't see any problem on your post using Opera set to Unicode UTF-8.

o
Weird symbols

ok, that did work! Will go back to the post I just made and see.

o
Weird symbols

Unicode UTF-8 didn't work for me. I still can't get the degrees symbol without problems. It never was like that before, it used to work with no problems.

o
Weird symbols

What browser and what encoding are you using? Have you rebooted, done Windows Updates, scanned for malware, etc?

o
Weird symbols

Sometimes you have to shut down and restart the browser

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here