Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recipes for Casseroles - Week 1 December 2012

Posted by walnutcreek (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 14:12

This is a wonderful recipe for rice casserole. I got the recipe from a garden club member.

Mushroom and Wild Rice Casserole

1 pound mushrooms (I like to use Crimini when they are available)
3/4 cup uncooked wild rice
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup butter
1 onion, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried leaf basil
Salt and Pepper
2 tablespoons chopped parsley

In a medium saucepan, combine rice, thyme, basil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and chicken broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Clean and trim mushrooms. Cut small mushrooms in half and slice larger mushrooms.

I do the next steps in a saucepan and then transfer to a casserole dish.

Melt the butter in a large stovetop casserole. Add onion and saute until golden brown. Add mushrooms and saute until lightly browned. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in rice mixture and any stock not absorbed. Cover and bake 15 to 20 minutes. To serve, garnish with parsley.

Makes 4 servings

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recipes for Casseroles - Week 1 December 2012

I enjoy preparing this dish for friends. It's a comfort food when they need something if they are home from the hospital, funeral, etc.

Chicken and dressing casserole
1 1/4 cups herb-seasoned stuffing mix, divided (see Note)
3 cups coarsely chopped cooked rotisserie chicken
2(10-3/4-ounce) cans cream of celery soup (see Note)
1 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup butter, melted

What To Do:
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.

2.Sprinkle 3/4 cup stuffing mix into pan; top with chicken.

3.In a large bowl, whisk together soup and broth until blended; pour over chicken. Sprinkle remaining stuffing mix over soup mixture and top with melted butter.

4.Bake, uncovered, for 35 minutes, or until casserole is thoroughly heated and golden.

Do not make the stuffing; use the dry mix.

Cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup will work just as well with this casserole

o

glenda, that recipe is a recipe that I got from a funeral! One of my distant cousins brings this to everything that requires her to bring a dish and everyone LOVES it! It's just so simple and it tastes good!

o

That chicken and dressing casserole recipe looks yummy; thanks, Glenda.

Here is a copycat recipe - the casserole is delicious!

Abuelo Restaurant’s Spinach Casserole (Copycat)

5 pounds fresh leaf spinach, cleaned, stemmed and chopped
1 cup (1/4-inch diced) smoked bacon
1 tablespoon butter
3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1 tablespoon chipotle purée with adobo sauce
2 cups fresh diced onion
3 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
1/3 cup fresh diced red bell pepper
1 1/2 tablespoon seasoning salt
8 ounces processed cheese, cut into 2-inch cubes
6 ounces cream cheese, cut into 2-inch cubes
2 cups frozen whole-kernel corn
1/2 cup grated Monterey jack and Cheddar cheese combined

Braise spinach in stock pot until limp but still bright green. Brown bacon in saucepan and drain, discarding drippings. Add butter to bacon in pan. Add mushrooms, chipotle puree, onions, garlic, red bell pepper and seasoning salt and sauté until onions and mushrooms are tender. Stir in processed cheese and cream cheese cubes and cook until cheese has melted, stirring continuously. Place spinach in strainer and press to remove all water. Place spinach in cheese mixture and stir well. Add corn and stir well. Cook for an additional three minutes and stir continually. Place in casserole and top with grated cheese. Heat in oven until cheese is melted.

o

We like this--don't make it much anymore because it makes too much. The original recipe from Southern Living '81 doesn't mention chicken. I added that myself.

Shrimp Stroganoff Casserole

1 (8 oz.) pkg. medium egg noodles
1 (8 oz.) carton sour cream
1 (10 oz.)can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1 tsp. dried dillweed
1/4 c. sliced green onion
1/4 c. sliced ripe olives
1 c. (4 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese, shredded
1 lb. frozen peeled and deveined shrimp, thawed (could use diced up cooked chicken)

Cook noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside. Combine sour cream, soup and dill in a large bowl, mixing well. Add onion, olives, 1/2 the cheese and shrimp; stir well. Stir in noodles.

Spoon mixture into a lightly greased shallow 2-quart casserole. Cover and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese melts. Serves 6-8.

o

This is a really good dish for anytime, but especially around the holidays.

SWEET POTATO AND PINEAPPLE CASSEROLE

1 (3 lb.) whole sweet potatoes
3 T. brown sugar
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. cinnamon
2 eggs, beaten
4 T. melted butter
1-1/2 c. crushed pineapple

Beat all together. Butter baking dish, place 1/2 of mixture in dish, dot with marshmallows then add remaining mixture. Bake at 350* F. for 40 minutes

o

This is my favorite breakfast casserole. I like it because it has potatoes rather than bread as a base.

Overnight Breakfast Casserole

2 lbs. frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
1/4-1/2 c. chopped onion (I use the lesser amount)
1 lb. cooked, crumbled sausage (or cooked bacon or ham)
2 c. shredded Cheddar cheese
8-10 eggs
3 c. milk
Salt and pepper to taste

Spray 9x13" casserole with cooking spray. Mix potatoes, onions salt and pepper together and place in pan. Spread sausage on top, then cheese. Beat eggs and milk together and pour over the other ingredients. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour at 350.

o

Here's one I got off Facebook, tried it & we liked it: **(I edited again trying to get the Weird Symbols out that some were seeing,,,, hopefully they're gone now).

Loaded Potato & Buffalo Chicken Casserole

2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

8-10 medium potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (I leave the skin on)

1/3 cup olive oil

1 1/2 tsp. salt

1 TBS. freshly ground pepper

1 TBS. paprika

2 TBS. garlic powder

6 TBS. hot sauce

Topping:
2 c. Fiesta Blend Cheese or a mix of Cheddar & Monterey Jack

1 c. crumbled bacon

1 c diced green onion

Preheat oven to 500F. In a large bowl mix together the olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder & hot sauce. Add the cubed potatoes and stir to coat. Carefully scoop the potatoes into a cooking spray coated baking dish, leaving behind as much of the olive oil/hot sauce mix as possible. Bake the potatoes for 45-50 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes, until cooked through and crispy & browned on the outside.

While the potatoes are cooking, add the cubed chicken to the bowl with the leftover olive oil/hot sauce mix and stir to coat. Once the potatoes are fully cooked, remove from the oven and lower the oven temperature to 400F. Top the cooked potatoes with the raw marinated chicken. In a bowl mix together the cheese, bacon & green onion and top the raw chicken with the cheese mix.

Return the casserole to the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the topping is bubbly delicious. Serve with extra hot sauce and/or ranch dressing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recipe is from here

This post was edited by BeeOHIO on Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 16:57

o

This isn't exactly a casserole but it is mighty good! I fixed it tonight and it was wonderful.

WHITE CHICKEN ENCHILADA'S

8 flour tortillas, soft taco size
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken (I used half of a rotisserie chicken)
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup sour cream
1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray. Mix chicken and 1 cup cheese. Roll up in tortillas and place in pan seam side down.

In a small sauce pan over medium heat, melt butter. Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute. Add broth and whisk until smooth. Allow sauce to thicken. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream and chilies.

Pour sauce over enchiladas and top with remaining cheese. Bake 20-25 minutes and then broil for a few minutes to brown the cheese.

(I used a can of chicken and it was really good. Used Greek Yogurt instead of Sour Cream just to save a few fat grams)

Deb

o

This is excellent for Christmas brunch:

Eggs Benedict casserole

6 English muffins shopping list
10-12 ounces Canadian bacon (2 packages, or use diced ham)
8 large eggs
2 cups reduced-fat milk (or whole milk)
1 teaspoon onion powder
cooking spray
1/2 teaspoon paprika
easy hollandaise sauce- (I just use package)
---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

Cut muffins into 1/2-inch cubes. Set aside.
Cut Canadian bacon into 1/2-inch squares. Set aside.
Whisk the eggs well in a 2-quart bowl. Whisk in milk and onion powder.
Spray a 9-by-13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish with cooking oil spray. Scatter half the Canadian bacon evenly in bottom of dish. Scatter muffin cubes on top of Canadian bacon. Top with the remaining Canadian bacon, scattering it evenly over the bread. Pour egg mixture over the casserole. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight, or at least 8 hours, to let bread absorb egg mixture.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Remove casserole from refrigerator and uncover it. Lightly sprinkle the paprika evenly over the top. Cover the casserole with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove dish from the oven, remove foil, return dish to the oven and continue to bake, uncovered, until the eggs are set and the bacon on top begins to crisp, about 20 minutes more. Remove the casserole from oven and let it stand 5 minutes before serving.
To serve, cut casserole into squares and place them on plates. Spoon about 2 tablespoons (or to taste) warm Hollandaise Sauce over each serving just before serving.
Makes 10 servings.

o

Spinach Casserole

2 pkg. frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1 16 oz. container sour cream
1 pkg. lipton onion soup mix

Mix onion soup and sour cream, add to hot spinach. Put in casserole dish...can be made ahead up to this point. Reheat in 350 oven till warmed through...20 - 30 minutes/

o

Got this from Nita. Hubby loves it. I use chicken sometimes too, and at least a full cup of rice.

From Nita AZ

Party Bake Pork Chops
Betty Crocker New Dinner For Two Cookbook copyright 1964

4 lean pork chops, 1" thick
4 thin slices onion
1/4 cup uncooked rice (not instant)
1 can (1 lb. 13 oz.) tomatoes
1/2 to 1 tsp. salt
pepper

Trim any excess fat from chops. Season chops well on both sides with salt and pepper. Brown on both sides in lightly greased hot skillet. Top each chop with a slice of onion, 1 tbsp rice, and cover with whole tomatoes. Add any remaining tomatoes and juice to skillet. Cover tightly; simmer over low heat or bake in foil covered baking dish at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours or until tender.
4 servings.

How I do it.

I don't brown the chops. I put them in an oblong baking dish and put sliced onions on them and then I rinse my oriental rice (Calrose or Hinode) to remove the talc. It won't hurt if you have a little extra rice. Then I take a large can of whole tomatoes and break them up all over the pork chops. I add some water to the can to get the rest of the juice and then cover with foil and bake. This is delicious served with soy sauce to taste.

o

~*~Chicken Enchiladas~*~

1 (2 to 3lbs. ) chicken, cooked &boned
1 pkg. Tortilla chips
1 large can evaporated milk
2 cans mushroom soup
1 ( 10. 1/2oz ) can enchilada sauce
� lb. Grated cheese

Place one half the chips in 9 by 13 baking dish.
Add a layer of chicken, cover with � of the cheese.
Mix together milk ,soup & sauce. Pour one half of
mixture over cheese. Repeat layers. Bake 350.
30 to 40 min. till bubbly. Sometimes I add sliced
olives to top. This is very easy and taste great !

o

Craftyshe-
Can you repeat the amount of cheese in the chicken enchilada's. I could not read the amount.
Thanks.

o

Here is another recipe I got from Taste of Home. We really love this.

Mexican Casserole

1 pound hamburger
1 envelope taco seasoning
15 ounce can refried beans
16 ounce jar salsa
8 ounce package mexican blend cheese

Brown hamburger, stir in taco seasoning. Spread in bottom of 13x9 pan. Layer refried beans, salsa and cheese on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Serve with taco chips.

o

I thought I had this one at the KTGP but I couldn't find it.
here it is again. Its a wonderful side dish

This is a family favorite. The recipe is from Southern Plate.

Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole

2 lbs frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
1/2 Cup margarine or butter, melted
1 can Cream Of Chicken Soup
1/2 Cup onion, chopped
2 Cups cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt

optional 1/2 cup sour cream and some chopped green onions

Combine soup, onion, melted butter, and seasonings, stir well. Stir in cheese and frozen hash browns. Place in 9x13 dish and bake at 350 for thirty minutes, or until bubbly. *This tastes just like Cracker Barrel's!

http://www.southernplate.com/2008/08/cheesy-hash-brown-casserole.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here