Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen remodel

Posted by Bph2 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 9, 13 at 16:05

I posted this in remodeling and it was suggested I post here.

We are going to completely remodel our 27 year old kitchen. The wall (non loadbearing) between the kitchen and dining room is going to be removed. Currently, the dining is small and dark. The general contractor who did numerous repairs and painted the exterior is coming to talk to us about the remodel. We were pleased with his attention to details on the exterior. But, he is not a designer and I am wondering if I should have a kitchen designer to the job start to finish or just get a design and have a GC complete the remodel.
This is the first interior remodel we have ever done. Any tips on what to be aware of with the design and the contract?
The picture shows the view of the kitchen from the foyer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen remodel

Post a layout of your current kitchen with measurements. You can use graph paper.

o

Bph2...We can help you with your kitchen layout as well as other questions related to kitchen remodels (such as cabinets, counters, etc.) In addition, here are some links to the FAQs for the Kitchens Forum that may be of some use to you:

FAQ: New To Kitchens? Read Me First!
FAQ: How do I ask for Layout Help and what information should I include?
FAQ: Kitchen work zones, what are they?
FAQ: Aisle widths, walkways, seating overhangs, work and landing space, and others
FAQ: How do I plan for storage? Types of Storage? What to Store Where?

When you're ready to post your layout: FAQ: How do I post pictures?

Good luck with this project - and have fun! :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQs for the Kitchen's Forum

o

I have attached a very crude layout of the current kitchen. Any suggestions for a better more functional design would be appreciated. The large round table will definitely go away.

o

I have attached a very crude layout of the current kitchen. Any suggestions for a better more functional design would be appreciated. The large round table will definitely go away.

o

Here is a drawing by one cabinet company.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here