Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Photo of Inspiration Pantry? Boxerpups?

plllog
13 years ago

I've been searching all over and can't find it. There is an inspiration picture of a pantry that's been posted here quite a few times and I can't find it!!

It has divided lights, glass double doors, which open out, and shelving inside. It's the shape of a wall closet, or perhaps a former utility closet. The wall color is a medium-dark blue-gray. And it's very pretty.

Please, do you know which one it is? Can you link or post it?

Many thanks!!!

For your kind attention, I'll give you a tip. If you want to be overwhelmed by kitcheny gloriousity, use a wide screen monitor and go to Google Images and put in "ths gardenweb boxerpups". :) It's not so much the individual pieces, but the wave washing over one.

P.S., Boxerpups, I missed you!! I'm glad to be seeing more of your posts recently.

Comments (15)

• cardamon
    13 years ago

Pllog, I am not sure if this pantry is the one you are looking for. Sorry that I can't link you to it. I am not computer savvy. But the one that reminds me of what you described that I have is in Things That Inspire blog under Anew French House in Atlanta January 19, 2009. It is a taupey color though, but has the doors with glass both sides and shelving. Maybe it is the one or similar?!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Plllog,

I do not think I have it. Here is what I have it is
    not exactly as you describe. I will keep searching for
    you.

~boxer

Willow Brook Park Pantry

Jigsaw renovations

Hidden pantry

Do you think it was Willow's?
    http://willowdecor.blogspot.com/2009/01/my-new-butlers-pantry-before-and-after.html

More Willow's stuff
    http://willowdecor.blogspot.com/2008/06/butlers-pantry.html

Ella and Baba

Segbrown's fantastic pantry

Ps. back at you Plllog,
    I had some nasty stuff at work going on. It has worked
    itself out and I am back. Truly thanks.

• red_eared_slider86
    13 years ago

plllog, I think I know which one you're talking about. I was salivating over one just last week that fits that description. I'm hunting for it now, but came across these in the process...

Well, I can't find the one I'm looking for, but I hope you don't mind, I'm posting a pic of my own pantry @ mid-installation of some decorative film. I'm really pleased with the result.

{{!gwi}}

I will be sure and post here if I find that pantry!

• trailgirl
    13 years ago

I wish I was better at linking, but look at followup #8 in this recent thread:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1217214927981.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Pantry door ideas

• plllog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Maggie! The New French House isn't just like the picture in my head, but it could very well be it!! I might have been redrawing it in my mind to fit a particular space.

Linking is pretty easy. Go to the box at the top of your browser that says what page you're on. Click once to highlight it, or click and put the cursor at the end of the address, hold down the shift key, and arrow over it to the other end. Copy by holding down Control (CTRL) (or whatever Mac calls it) and C at the same time. Then come back to GW, click in the box under the message that says "Optoinal Link URL" and press CTRL and V once (don't hold down) to paste. Once you have that down, if you want to learn to do an inline line, just ask me.

Boxerpups, trust you to have even more spectacular pictures than last time up your sleeve! Thank you!! I have no such space, but I positively lust for some of these!

Red Eared, Excellent entries to the purpose. These really elevate the reach in pantry, don't they?

Trailgirl, thanks too for the doors. I hadn't really looked at them so well when I was reading that thread. I especially like the deep walk-in pantry with the cabinet doors. Very tricky!

Thanks to all!

• cluelessincolorado
    13 years ago

Not the one you were after, but it sure is pretty!

Here is a link that might be useful: crownpoint pantry

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Clueless,
    That is beautiful. I remember this from ABC designs.
    ~boxer

Plllog,
    A few more for you maybe one of these is it...~boxer

From Sweet Savannah blog

Fleming Construction

Willow Decor

Grannysmithgreen blog

Decorno Stacey Bowers Butler's Pantry

EGdines Kitchen Winner

• young-gardener
    13 years ago

This one came to mind:

• aliris19
    13 years ago

Wow -- these pantries are absolutely fantubulorious.

But it actually makes me wonder: what is the definition of pantry? I had thought it meant food-storage space but evidently it is more general than that - in fact perhaps it was originally meant as a dish storage place?

plllog -- is one of these the pantry you had in mind or is it still out there? Thanks for the concentration of them.

• wi-sailorgirl
    13 years ago

I would happily take any one of these examples posted. They are all fabulous!

• plllog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The origin of the word "pantry" meant "bread room", which even in its origins meant other things as well as bread. Roots, apples and other long storage veg would be in a root cellar or similar cold, damp room. Anything canned or preserved would be in a "still room". The "dairy" itself was usually an outbuilding where the butter was churned, etc. There would often be a stream through it for chilling and storing the dairy products. Meats were stored in the "larder" (think lard, or lardon (French for bacon)). "Stores" were storerooms where casks and bags of all kinds of stuff, from grains to candles were kept. Casks of beers and similar, as well as wine, would be a store called the "buttery" (room for "butts" or casks). So the kinds of things that might be in a pantry would be bread, pastries, possibly cooked meats or other dishes (i.e., leftovers), and other production of the kitchen. The pantry was an "office" or room assigned to a particular job/jobholder.

In a grand house, the butler was originally in charge of the wines (as well as spirits), which were often one of the biggest assets in a household, and one that needed protecting from thievery. The word comes from the French for "bottle". At some point the butler, or perhaps a second butler, was put in charge of the silver because it was highly tempting to thieves as well. Eventually that expanded to include all the fine tableware. A "butler's pantry" is a Victorian kind of room, in a smaller than estate sized house (i.e, upper middle class), that could support a couple of servants, but not a whole flock of them. It's the place where the fine tableware is stored, and may also have a sink so the butler (or mom) can wash and polish the good stuff and put it away without endangering it in the hustle bustle of the kitchen.

And a modern pantry in a modern house is a large closet or room for holding whatever needs putting away. A built in pantry is less expensive to construct, and often bigger, than a pantry cabinet. My own pantry is a grouping of four cabinets which holds beverages, wine, pasta, grains, sauces and condiments, canned goods, extra wraps, less used kitchen serving pieces, paper goods, etc. Some people put their small appliances in their pantries, as well as their roots, and breads.

I haven't seen the one I had in mind. I really think it looked like I described it. The one Maggie linked, the Sweet Savannah pantry that Boxerpups also showed, has a lot of the same feel to it. Combine most of its depth with the doors on the first brown one Red Eared showed and make it gray and you pretty well have it.

• corgi_mom
    13 years ago

Gosh, what an interesting post! How did you learn so much on this subject? I feel like I have had a tour of the servants' world in 1900's England. Thanks for sharing!

• aliris19
    13 years ago

So a pantry isn't where they stored ants? Or lingerie?

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Plllog,
    I would love to just listen to you talk about kitchens,
    art, architecture... You are truly brilliant.
    And now I know the real reason I love Butler's pantries.
    It is the Wine and Bread.

Or maybe it is my idea of the Butler?
    Okay Wine, Bread and Yes, a butler. He has to look like
    Ryan Reynolds, Matt Damion, George Clooney, or even
    Pierce Brosnan. That would be my dream butler's pantry.

~boxerpups

• cardamon
    13 years ago

Thanks for the pantry history Plllog, that was interesting reading. Enjoyed. Also thank you for computer information! I'll have to see about that.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!