Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa0527_gw

Need help with last minute counter decision

lisa0527
12 years ago

Kitchen drywall is up...cabinets in a week (or two!) and then counters.

I have decided on white uppers (dove white, shaker) and natural rift oak shaker lower cabinets, with a dark ceramic floor (pic attached) and "subway ceramics" backsplash.

The plan has always been for Torquay quartz counters, but I can't seem to get around the fact that it's a man-made product imitating stone. So then I saw the most gorgeous slabs of Madreperola. Lighter and more uniform than most I've seen. Gorgeous...and way more expensive.

Surprisingly, DH loved it and says go for it...but we're talking $3,000 more. So before I give the go ahead I thought I'd ask you, whose opinions I truly value, whether you think the combo with the Madreperola works.

Here is a link that might be useful: floor tile

Comments (10)

• MIssyV
    12 years ago

i vote for the madreperola, but it was my dream stone (couldn't locate in our area and SUPER expensive!). but, as you can tell, i may be just a wee bit biased :)

• MIssyV
    12 years ago

i should say though, with it being my dream stone, i too had to come to a cut off point...what am i truly willing to spend for a counter top? i just couldn't bring myself to the price tag of my first choice. so, if price isn't an issue, than go for the real deal, but if price is an issue, then this takes some serious decision making only you and hubby can make, although sounds like he already gave the green light ;)

• ideagirl2
    12 years ago

Quartz is 92% to 93% real stone (namely, quartz). The rest is pigments to give you consistent colors and resin to hold its shape. It's not like Corian or Formica or whatever; it's almost entirely made of stone. Just to be clear...

• lisa0527
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah...it feels like stone and is made with crushed/processed quartz, but it still is something trying to look like marble...almost getting there with the Torquay...but not quite there.
    I think my other concern was that the Torquay would look quite formal and we have a pretty relaxed house, so worried it might not quite go.

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

I wasn't sure what the stone looked like so I googled... does it look like this?
    {{!gwi}}

I think your combo will be earthy and beautiful.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I'd have to see your specific MP just to be sure (hint, hint!), but it should work.

Count me in the camp of really liking MP, but being too spendy for my budget. And, like you, I just couldn't do a man-made stone regardless of percentage of actual stone.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

I have a big sample of Torquay sitting in my dining room, and every time I pass it I think, "Why don't I just pick it and get it over with?" But I totally understand your fake stone issue.

I'm going to visit every stone yard within 100 miles of here, and if I find a beautiful madreperola, I'm there! It's one of the very few stones that can make me stray from what I'm supposed to be looking for - a leathered black granite (I know - that's not even close to MP or Torquay). Have you seen Pip's gorgeous kitchen? I'll link it below.

Here's a picture of a Christopher Peacock kitchen that might help:

The countertop is similar to yours, and the oak cabinets are similar to yours, and the gray cabinets are similar to your tile color, so I'd say you could make it look really nice. Just make sure you fill your glass-front cabinets with dishes that match your gray floor!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pip's kitchen

• lisa0527
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ha...that's exactly what I do every morning! Look at my Torquay sample and wish I loved it. It's nice enough, quite pretty really, durable, less expensive...so what's the problem? I guess I just don't love it...but I really, really like it.

• Mercymygft
    12 years ago

Thanks for linking Pip's kitchen, I had been trying to remember who had that gorgeous MOP backsplash!

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

I know, I love that backsplash!

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz