Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madeline616_gw

Do you like iridescent glass backsplashes? Too risky for resale?

Madeline616
12 years ago

As I close in on my white marble slabs, I'm turning my attention to the backsplash. The backsplash areas in my kitchen are pretty large, including a major focal point in the kitchen (large arched niche where cooktop is located).

I've been planning on calacatta or carrera marble subways. I really like them, and I feel they'll be relatively safe for resale. White/creamy iridescent glass subways, though, make my heart skip a beat.

What are your thoughts? As a potential buyer, would you love this tile, or would it totally turn you off? Is glass tile very trendy, and if so, is it on the way in or on the way out?

Here are the 2 x 4 subways I like:

http://www.mosaictilesupplies.com/radiant-white-iridescent-2x4-recycled-glass-subway-tile-pe-300.aspx

Here's an example from the finished kitchens slideshow, 1 x 1's I think:

http://finishedkitchens.blogspot.com/2009/10/scottielees-kitchen.html

Comments (18)

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

I'm not sure I understand: are you remodeling to sell the house? In that case, I'd just offer buyers a certain sum to pick out new finishes themselves.

• Mercymygft
    12 years ago

Well, if you are planning to stay for a while then I think that if you like it that is all that matters. If you are planning to sell sometime soon, then I think I might go for something more toned down and neutral. I mean, it's pretty but not everyone may like it.

So I think it depends on when you are moving.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I like them but am not sold on them paired with marble. Those are 2 different vibes. I'd do them with a white quartz if the tiles are the priority.
    The 2 x 4s are less common than the 1 x 1s, so may not be as trendy.

• Madeline616
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the feedback...circus, sorry I should've clarified, this isn't our forever home, but it's a home that I absolutely love, and we'll be in it anywhere from 4-10 years. So resale is a consideration, I just don't know if I should go for what I adore in the event that we stay for the shorter span of time.

• Mercymygft
    12 years ago

If you are staying 4-10 years then go for it if you love it!

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

Tile is one of the easiest things to change out, so why live enslaved to someone else's (hypothetical) taste? In this case, get what you love! :)

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

Nobody expects a house to be 100% to their taste. When I bought my current house I replaced the countertop, backsplash, all the paint, the fireplace surround, and many of the light fixtures. It wasn't a huge amount of money or time. Most people are concerned with location, room placement, room size, etc.

I love that kitchen with the iridescent tile! I have that in my inspiration file, too, and I think it looks fabulous! Can't wait to see your kitchen so make sure you post pictures.

• Madeline616
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Y'all are the best. You've convinced me. I'm going to stop trying to please the hypothetical buyer so much, and head more in the direction that my own aesthetic sensibility takes me.

Will still run some of the more adventurous tile options by GWers, though :)

• ellaf
    12 years ago

We used light grey iridescent tile and they make me happy every day. Like you, I thought sticking with a neutral color was a good idea, after that, anything goes. Our tiles are mini subways, 1-1/2" x 5/8".

• Madeline616
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ellaf, any pics/tile sources you could share? Would love to see!

• ellaf
    12 years ago

You bet. As background, we got new countertops, appliances, and a backsplash and kept the existing cabinets.

Backsplash

Close up

When I fall in love I fall hard, we have it on our fireplace surround too in a darker color.

Here is a link that might be useful: vihara glass tile in minka iridescent

• pjeanb
    12 years ago

This was one of my favorites

Here is a link that might be useful: sheba1895's kitchen

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

I just saw this in Christopher Peacock's kitchen and had to share:

{{!gwi}}

So I'd say it looks fabulous together!

Here is a link that might be useful: Christopher Peacock's kitchen

• NewSouthernBelle
    12 years ago

Personally I love iridescent tiles and think the ones you linked to are lovely. Go for it!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

Mpagmom,

Peacock's backsplash must be Ann Sacks Glace in Ice ... I have that in my girls' jack and jill bath. It's such a a subtle opaline.

• Madeline616
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for posting your pics, ellaf! And Mpagmom, I'm in love with Peacock's kitchen and am going to try to do something similar with my backsplash. Great article!

mtn, yes it is Sacks Glace in Ice...pricey, but gorgeous.

• SYinUSA, GA zone 8
    12 years ago

I agree with the other posters - if you love it, go for it!

While it's very pretty tile, I could never do it. For one, I'm chicken. For another, I get migraines too frequently to really embrace shiny surfaces. I'm all about matte, honed surfaces. I seem to be affected by glare and light more than most people, though. Regardless, given your timeline for moving, it really shouldn't affect your resale. Do it!

• danikiser2
    12 years ago

I know I'm a little late for this party, but wanted to throw something in. I love the iridescent tiles but worried because they are so trendy now, glass tile seems to be in every kitchen now. I decided on mother of pearl tile, I fell in love with it a couple of years ago, and thankfully the price has come down enough so I can afford it (I actually got mine coming from ebay). Check it out, and do what makes you happy.

Here is a link that might be useful: shellshock tiles