Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheba1895

Finished Kitchen Pic's - Before and After

sheba1895
16 years ago

Thanks to all your ideas and expertise, this forum really helped design my kitchen. We moved into our home in January and began renovations in March... so I only had two months to research and design our kitchen (oh, and we had a baby!) I believe it will be posted to FKB soon. I honestly owe it all to this forum and I couldn't be happier with the end result. Thank you!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Kitchen

Comments (53)

• rosie
    16 years ago

Enormously better and really excellent design! I confess I often tend to prefer the befores (at least from a distance), but yours...! Your after looks like a wonderful happy place to raise a family. Congratulations.

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

That is gorgeous!!!! (And that old kitchen....eww.) Can you post some of the details.

Congrats!

• teresa_b
    16 years ago

Wow, great transformation. What an eye you have for design. Happy cooking!

Teresa

• goldengirl71
    16 years ago

Love the new kitchen, Graet Job!! May I ask where you purchased your round table? I love it!!

• raehelen
    16 years ago

Beautiful! Hard to believe that it is the same place. Have to admit when I saw the first pic was thinking, well, I guess she must like blue! (thought that was your reno)

I have to ask how you decided which pulls to use where. I haven't made any decisions yet, and I couldn't figure out the reasoning on your cabinets, ie you have knobs on some drawers, pulls on others. Knobs on most cabinets, pulls on some. Please enlighten us.

• rmlanza
    16 years ago

Wow, what an amazing transformation! Beautiful job. Love the backsplash, what is it?! And as for the knobs...I know it's a small detail but my eye caught it immediately, I love how some of your oval knobs are vertical and some are horizontal! That is such a cool idea!

Congratulations!
    Robin

• gnomelover
    16 years ago

Your kitchen is absolutely fabulous. The white countertop is so yummy. I love your backsplash. Everything looks so serene and peaceful. Great job!

• kitchy
    16 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen! Is that the rohl or franke faucet at your main sink? Is it hard to use the sidespray? I was interested in the same faucet but put off by the button you have to push to use the spray...

• margieb2
    16 years ago

Gorgeous!! Can you fill us in on any details? Particularly the backsplash, counter tops and the lighting fixtures. Thanks and congratulations on a spectacular kitchen.

-Margie

• rhome410
    16 years ago

I'm speechless. Wow. Amazing. Wonderful. Beautiful. INCREDIBLE. None of those do it justice, especially considering the 'before' (YIKES!) and the time frame, not to mention the baby! (Aren't they wonderful? Is he/she your first?) Congratulations on both!

• oofasis
    16 years ago

Sheba, what a fabulous face lift! More than that, it's a transformation! That's one gorgeous kitchen.

Is that marble on your counters? What kind of wood on your island? Where'd you get it? We all wanna know the details, so do tell!

• pwd626
    16 years ago

Hello, What make faucet do you have?

• jenanla
    16 years ago

Wow! I can't believe you planned that in such a short time, with a new baby no less. Congrats!! That should be in a Magazine.
    Jenn

• igloochic
    16 years ago

I think she's full of carp and it's a different house LMAO Geeze what a fabulous change!!!!! You must be just in heaven in that gorgeous kitchen!!!! What a wonderful job!!!!

• amck2
    16 years ago

I kept scrolling back up to the first picture in disbelief that I was looking at the same space. Amazing!!
    Congratulations on putting it all together. And you had a baby! When mine were newborns I was lucky to just find the kitchen, let alone redesign one!
    I'll be curious to read the details if you find time to post. Enjoy your beautiful home!

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

Wow--amazing!!!!

• monicakm_gw
    16 years ago

OMGoodness! that has to be one of the most dramatic before and after pictures EVER! Your new kitchen is drop dead gorgeous :) Fabulous job! You must be be thrilled :)
    Monica

• tonda1
    16 years ago

spectacular! bravo! excellent job! Enjoy!

• Steveningen
    16 years ago

I have to get this out of the way first. The before picture...gack.

Now then, what a dramatic, fantastic transformation! Your palate is just beautiful. I would love a rundown of the particulars. I think the island top is wood, but I can't be sure. Oh, and please tell us where you got the beautiful stools.

Congratulations and enjoy your amazing kitchen!

Steven

• stiles
    16 years ago

What a warm and inviting kitchen! An amazing transformation. Enjoy!
    Melinda

• nuts
    16 years ago

do you mind sharing where you got those fun barstools?
    I love the seats. great job on the kitchen...especially love the backsplash for a little kick. congratulations!

• celticmoon
    16 years ago

You win. That is the most amazing transformation yet!

Wow.

• muscat
    16 years ago

Gorgeous! Love the light airiness and the layout!

• lily1342
    16 years ago

I have to agree your before kitchen was truly gag-worthy but it sure is magazine-worthy now!!! Do share all the details.

• susan209
    16 years ago

It is stunning from the word go, you have done an impeccable job of turning around a 'butt ugly' kitchen into something wonderful. I'll bet everytime you go in there you say 'WOW'. Best wishes with your new little pumpkin and enjoy that fabulous kitchen, wish it were mine (not the baby).

• deegw
    16 years ago

Perfect! Is the rest of the house a "before" too?

• zoey_neohio
    16 years ago

Oh!...I love happy endings. What a wonderful transformation from that ugly duckling! Your kitchen is just lovely!

To the left of your dining table appears to be a window(?) and then there is something under that with trim around it. I guessing maybe a pet feeding area or I just could be way off on this!! Anyways, congrats on this beautiful kitchen and your new baby.

• footballmom
    16 years ago

You are kidding me! you must have take photos at a parade of homes tour and posted them! It cannot possibly be the same house! A new house, kitchen and a baby in nine months. How wonderful for you. I am sure the baby is the best part of the nine months, but the kitchen cannot be far behind! You did a remarkable job! (Probably did a remarkable job on the baby too!)
    Congratulations, Gayle

• mnhockeymom
    16 years ago

oh my Lord, I think I'm drooling! FABULOUS!!!!

• elljays
    16 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! I really like the stools.

• sheba1895
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay, I'm crying and laughing at the same time. Laughing because of your "before picture" comments (gag-worthy... I love it!) and crying because of your wonderful compliments (you think I'm a little hormonal?)

Here are a few details:
    The round pedestal table is from Crate and Barrell - It's the "Corsica" table although I believe it's discontinued. I love it because the four leaves fold down to form a square table. I also love the black base with the lighter top.
    Zoey - What you see in the corner next to the table is a big box of crayons and coloring books.... guess I forgot to move that prior to taking photos!

My perimeter countertop is Danby Marble. I always knew I wanted marble but it took me two months to find the right slab. I didn't want heavy black veining so when I found Imperial Danby, I knew it was the right slab because of the gold veining. I absolutely love it. I have spilled everything on it, it has not stained... just some etching which I'm fine with.

My island top is mahogany wood - stained in an espresso color. Our builder made it for us and couldn't be happier with it.

My backsplash is my favorite part of the kitchen. The pictures don't do it justice! It's glass tile from Oceanside tile. The color is sandstone. It's the first thing people notice when they come inside. I saw it in a magazine and never looked at another backsplash.

Kitchy - My sink is a Rohl farmhouse sink. I wasn't sure how it would look with the white countertops, but I like it. My faucet is Perrin and Rowe. The side-spray does have a button you press, not the most convenient but like anything, you just get use to it!

The barstools - This was the most challenging choice I had to make. Nothing really worked because it either competed with the big black island or was dwarfed by it. I found these at a store in my hometown and fell in love with them. They are hand made in VT and come in various colors. I bought the natural pine stools. They are quite comfortable and very kid-friendly. The seats are made from snow shoe material so you can just wipe off spills with a wet cloth.

Knobs and pulls - Another challenge because it was the last decision I had to make and didn't have strong feelings towards any knob or pull. My thought process (or lack of) was this: I liked the egg shaped knobs so I used them on every cabinet and SMALL drawer. The reason they are vertical and horizontal was simply because I thought it looked better. The little egg looked silly veritcal on a drawer but looked better on a cabinet. I used the pulls on every BIG drawer I had. I know this probably doesn't help but for some reason it made sense to me.

Lighting - Over round table is from Restoration Hardware. Over island is from Klaffs Lighting in CT.

Again, I can't thank you enough for your feedback and great advice. I'd be lost without this forum (my husband thanks you too!)
    Jenn

• jgirl_2007
    16 years ago

Jenn - What an amazing transformation! Congratulations. It's really gorgeous. Everthing comes together so well. I love your floors too!

• loves2cook4six
    16 years ago

Really beautiful and I was looking for details on the backsplash so TFS.

May you cook many wonderful meals and enjoy many special moments with family and friends in your new kitchen. ENJOY!

• dianalo
    16 years ago

Hey Jenn,
    I am in awe of you! How you pulled this off in such a time frame and with a new baby, is almost unbelievable. Just moving in is a chore and having a baby soon after, must have magnified that.
    Your kitchen would be lovely whether you planned for 2 months or 2 years. I love your counters and cabs and the backsplash is a lovely yet whimsical choice. It sets such a wonderful mood.
    I hope you get some time to exhale and enjoy the new baby & kitchen (and get some sleep!). You and dh have many reasons to feel proud. :)

• cburch
    16 years ago

BEAUTIFUL! I love the backsplash and the wood floors .... just beautiful!!!

• amanda_t
    16 years ago

Congratulations, that is one beautiful kitchen! Very tasteful and classic. I would love spending time in that room! Where did you get your cabinets?

• marandall
    16 years ago

You must of had a vision! ;) I cannot even recognize the old kitchen in those new pics! Fabulous transformation! Enjoy that beautiful new kitchen! I love it!

• tetrazzini
    16 years ago

wow, amazing!!! when we bought our house years ago my kitchen looked like your "before" picture -- and it still does! i can't believe i've lived with it this long, but we've been transforming the rest of the house. your pictures are inspiring me to get going on it!

can you tell me what kind of wood floor you put in? it's beautiful.

congratulations on your baby!

• natal
    16 years ago

Bravo!!! I so envy your ability to visualize that kind of magic! Love your backsplash! And that's not something I'm often impressed with. Probably why I chose subways, lol!

Goldengirl, Haverty's had a similar table in their Sunday ad.

Here is a link that might be useful: Timber Ridge

• sheba1895
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, thank you again for your kind words and congratulations! We love spending time in our kitchen.....especially my DH with our new tv!

Floors are oak - stained in a color called "Special Walnut"
    My cabinets are Thomasville, which we bought at Home Depot. We're happy with them. Our contractor convinced us that a cabinet is a cabinet, as long as they are made from all wood. They were by far the cheapest quote we received and saved a ton of money by buying them during a 15% off all cabinets promotion.

• netski
    16 years ago

What are your cabinets and floor? You didn't say and I love your kitchen. Do you like your floor and cabinets still?

• basnjas
    16 years ago

I see one thing going for your old kitchen: lots of windows. If it wasn't for the outside view, I wouldn't believe it was the same kitchen!

So, you went from burning your hands reaching for the knobs to turn off your stove, to a great Wolf cooktop!

I love the way your floor color brings out the tanner tiles in your backsplash. And that marble... oh, that marble... it was well worth waiting for. I just want to run my hands over it.

Your whole remodel is so homey and classic. You are quite an inspiration!

• houseful
    16 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful job! It's just wonderful!

My 12-y-o son was sitting behind me when I opened this thread. As soon as your "before" picture came up, he gasped (literally) and said, "wow, that's ugly!"

• houseful
    16 years ago

I forgot to say, "Congratulations on your new baby!"

• suska6184
    16 years ago

Joining the party way late, but I have to say your kitchen is absolutely inspirational! It truly deserves to be in a magazine. I LOVE all your windows, your light fixtures, and your pantry area. Your countertop choices- both the marble and wood- are so attractive, and a refreshing change from the "must be like everyone else" crowd. (OK, no one take offense, I'm one of them too.)
    One question- what are those small labels or plates on your drawers between your sink and rangetop? I can't quit see them well and have never noticed something like that on other cabinetry pictures.
    Thanks, and congrats on your lovely new space!!

• lily1342
    16 years ago

suska, I think those are dish drawers.

• suska6184
    16 years ago

Thank you, lily, you're so right. Not sure why that didn't occur to me. You'd think someone who researched every purchase to death could figure that out! See how much I need my GW friends? :)

• peggross1
    16 years ago

I just found your beautiful kitchen while doing a search for pulls/knobs and I LOVE it! I just yesterday changed my island top from a quartzite called Luce de Luna to a marble called "Vermont Danby Marble", which is quarried in VT. The claim made by my stone distributor's postcard says it is "approved and ideally suited for kitchen countertops providing a clean, beautiful alternative to granite." "This marble is less absorbent and more dense than most granites."

I think you must have the same marble on your perimeter. Now that you've lived through the holidays with your new kitchen, do you have any comment as to the durability of your countertops? Any regrets? Would you recommend it highly?

I'd love to get some comfort buying a known no-no, marble, for my kitchen island counter. (We'll be templating in 2 weeks.)

Thanks!

• laurap_2007
    16 years ago

Altogether stunning!

• User
    16 years ago

Wonderful transformation!!!!
    Thought I recognized the backsplash as Oceansides; i too have it in a different type but it is a showstopper and my kitchen eye candy, which yours is also (along with those counters)
    Great Job!