Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen Ceilings

Posted by granite_rock (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 17, 12 at 13:55

Remodeling Kitchen and need help! I have 8 Foot ceilings in my kitchen. Wondering if I should have the cabinets go all the way to the ceiling or should I stagger some? What would look the best and make the kitchen seem bigger?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen Ceilings

In my opinion, no question about it, go all the way to the ceiling.

o

I along with many other GWers have 8 ft ceilings with all the cabinets to the ceiling there are been several threads about it in the past. Here are are couple of them

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0712595421594.html

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0621423910595.html

Also attached a link for more threads from a google search

Here is a link that might be useful: GW google search 8 ft. Ceilings

o

I've got 8' ceilings and my uppers go all the way up. It's not a matter of how it looks, it's all about storage. Form follows function....

o

I love the look to the ceiling....

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Imagine cleaning the tops of these cabinets...

Photobucket

Photobucketmix woods

Floor

dark floors, dark floors

Photobucket

o

I think all the way to the ceiling look best and has the added benefit of additional storage.

o

Boxerpups love the last picture you posted especially the island countertop. Do you have a source for that pix? Would like to kniw more details about that kitchen.
Thanks!

o

You just need to be careful about picking how high the cabinets are and how much trim you want. I was advised several times to avoid 42 inch uppers with my 8 ft ceiling. Unless it's perfectly level the cabinets end up slightly lower. And if you want moulding at the top, that pushes them down. And if you want a light rail on the bottom, you lose space between the counters and uppers too. So decided 36 or 39 would be better for me. Turns out 39 isn't offered in some lines and can be an expensive upgrade, so 36 inches it is!

You will have to decide what you want, but definitely some things to consider! Like everything else I've had to pick out, even that ended up not being as straight forward as I thought.

o

We are doing a remodel now...out with the soffits and in with the cabinets all the way to the ceiling.

o

My lids aren't even 8'. My old kitchen had a soffit. My ceilings seem taller now with the new kitchen with cabs to the ceiling.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I say run them to the ceiling. I'm not a big fan of staggering cabs anyway.

o

Existing kitchen the PO put in. Nice cabinets, but hate the 5" below ceiling. Am working on filling with trim like the last photo Boxerpups posted. If they had used a standard 42" I wouldn't have this gap. Go all the way to ceiling, I think it looks so much more finished and makes the room feel larger.

o

Boxer!! Good to see your pictures again!

I have redone 2 kitchens with 8 foot ceilings. After cle.aning the tops of those cabinets (or trying to....) of the grease that collects there, I would not even consider having space on top again!!

Nancy

o

I staggered the uppers in my last kitchen only because there wasn't going to be enough space between the counter and backsplash with 39" tall cabs all the way across. We used Ikea so sizes were limited.

Cabs on both sides of the fridge were about 6" from the ceiling. I put some pretty bowls and teapots up,there.

o

I was more concerned with my chimney exhaust looking too squat, but everyone here encouraged me and said it would be fine...it's being installed tomorrow. We did go all the way to the ceiling....I would never have considered not doing so....can't imagine cleaning up there:

o

Boxers "imagine cleaning up here" picture: I can't imagine PAINTING up there. It is a royal pain to crane your neck and shoulder in there - and NOT touch anything else with the roller. Forget about it, ugh! GO for it! This from someone who has 8 foot ceilings with cabs that do not go all the way. :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here