Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
la_na5544267

I want this kitchen! Have a few questions.

La Na
9 years ago

Hi,
I'm in the very beginning stage of designing a dream home that will be custom built. We do plan to settle down in this house for good and really wouldn't want to move again. Any planning is done considering our own needs only, so no need to be concerned about resale. We never moved a lot before and prefer to stay in one place for a long time.

Having a large kitchen with a lot of natural light is what I've always wanted. When I saw this picture, I knew that this was THE kitchen I want. When I look at other kitchen photos, I notice how little natural light there is, and some don't even have windows. Right now I have a medium size kitchen with one small window surrounded by the cabinets, and even during the day I have to turn the light on.

I do have a few questions about this kitchen layout, and hopefully some of you would be willing to share some insight.

I would like slightly less modern white cabinets, white marble countertops, and dark wooden floor. I'm not yet sure exactly how big the kitchen would be, but at least 15-16 feet each side, possibly one side up to 22 feet long (the 4th wall will have a dining table).

I prefer an island with no sink or cooktop in it, just a plain countertop, as it's easier to keep it clean. I'd like to have 2 sinks, but not sure how to place them in this layout. I can as well live with just one large sink, but 2 sinks are better. Perhaps someone could advise about the sink situation?

I'd like to have some cabinets on the left side wall, where I'd like to have a wall oven, and a cooktop near it (or just a nice range), and a refrigerator. Do you think it's doable? I don't like the idea of a hood next to a window because that window would be fogged every time you cook. And I do want to keep both walls lined with windows just the way it is on the picture.

Also, we do need a lot of countertop space because we eat salads every day, make fresh juices, and also make other food that needs a lot of preparation but little cooking. And both of us work on preparing food together, therefore such a large kitchen is a must.

I would appreciate any thought you may have about this layout. Thanks in advance!

http://www.dixib.com/chic-decor-for-contemporary-item-rendition-slideshowhorizontal-white-kitchen-designs/chic-decor-for-contemporary-item-rendition-slideshowhorizontal-white-kitchen-designs-picture/

Comments (49)

• La Na
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I forgot to mention that we don't use a microwave, so no need for one.

• nancyjwb
    9 years ago

I like that kitchen too! What a dream to have so much light. (I currently have a kitchen with zero windows and I don't even like to cook anymore!) Anyway, what about keeping this layout but blocking out the center window on that back wall. So the range/cooktop would be between two large windows. There are a lot of examples of this on Houzz and I think it looks good. Still plenty of light. And it would probably be better to have things spaced out a little rather than on one wall. (refrigerator, wall oven, range/cooktop) With the layout in your inspiration photo, (assuming the refrigerator is on the left wall out of sight), you could have an additional sink for prep on the perimeter counter between the refrigerator and range and that would leave your island countertop free as you wish. Just a few ideas. With this many windows, your kitchen will look great!

• cawaps
    9 years ago

I'm not the one to ask about layouts, but I think your inspiration kitchen looks fabulous. I do want to point out that all those windows look to be shaded by broad eaves and what looks like a porch on the right-hand wall. Since direct sunlight from so many windows could be overwhelming, I think this is probably a necessary strategy. With the overhangs, you get lot of indirect natural light without the glare. You'll probably also want to give serious thought to what direction you want those windows to face.

• camlan
    9 years ago

That is a lovely kitchen. The windows are wonderful. Such light.

The only practical advice I have is that if you plan on staying in this house for many years, investigate "aging in place." Unfortunately, as we get older, some things get harder to do. There are some simple things that make using a kitchen (or bathroom) easier when you are arthritic, for example. These things are easy to implement in the planning stages, but much harder and more expensive to do as a retro-fit. Things like the height of the dishwasher, the depth of the sink, pull-out shelves in the lower cabinets--all these can make a huge difference in the functionality of a kitchen.

• joygreenwald
    9 years ago

Love it. I've always wanted a wall of windows. (Never going to happen. Oh well.) It would still look great with a wall behind the cook top. I agree that you don't want everything crammed into one wall. And it would give you nice landing areas on both sides.

Thinking about what camlan said, you might want to include a place for a future microwave. My mother-in-law, and her parents before her, found that she began to use a microwave more as she aged. You just don't want that gorgeous kitchen and then end up with a microwave ruining the look later.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Read this thread.

Just sayin'...

Here is a link that might be useful: How did my

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

I love the windows. I agree that eaves to block some of the harsher, direct light and the direction your house faces/light enters are important considerations.

Those windows do block a lot of light with the large breaks between the small windows. And would break up how you see your view. For me, I'd put larger windows instead of the groupings of smaller windows. YMMV.

Yes, to planning for aging and future microwave.

There is no need to place a wall behind the stove. Many kitchens in Houzz have stoves in front of windows and I've read a lot of discussions about it. It is safe as long as you have the usual fire safe materials near cooktop, don't open any windows near a lit gas stove, and a few other simple matters. I'd keep the windows behind the stove. You might consider making the counters along the stove wall 30" deep which would eliminate a lot of potential splatter that would require frequent cleaning of the window.

Your inspiration kitchen is lovely.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Blfenton, I was going to post the same link!!

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

I like the windows behind the range but Is there another way to vent it? The range hood stuck on the ceiling is very obtrusive to my eye.

• La Na
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, it's nice to see so many replies!

Nancy, I did think about a wall between two large windows, just where the range is on the inspiration photo. I'm still considering this possibility, especially if the hood is made of glass and doesn't look so massive.

Cawaps, I'm not sure yet about the overhangs, it all will depend on how the exterior design will look like. Or we might get some kind of remote control shades.
    The corner of the conjunction of the two walls with the windows will face directly south, so the kitchen will have a good amount of direct sunlight.

Camlan, we're still young (I'm in my early 40's), so we're not thinking of aging yet. Thankfully, we're still in a good shape and hopefully will stay that way for a few decades! But we will have our in-laws visiting, so it's a good idea to think about their comfort in our house too.

Joy, I wonder if we could have some place reserved for a microwave under the island countertop. I've seen a few kitchen with microwaves tucked underneath the countertop in the island. We have a microwave in our kitchen right now, but the only time it is used is when DH warms up a cup of coffee once in a blue moon.
    Other than beneath the island countertop, perhaps having some kind of a bookshelf on the left, that could always be converted into a place where the microwave would live?

Blfenton, haha, that thread is funny! I didn't read the comments yet but I will after I post this.

Funkycamper, I was thinking about the large windows too, but I'm not sure how one such long window would look like on the right wall. I don't quite love the way the windows look in the photo and probably would have the windows a bit taller. We're planning to have the ceiling at least 10 ft, but possibly even 12 ft. I love a coffered ceiling but not yet sure how it'd look like in this kitchen. I guess, without the upper cabinets on the walls (except for the left wall), it should look fine and not too congested.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Mmmm - I don't know where the rest of the name of the link went. It was something like "How did my want go so wrong", of course now I don't remember.

I also need to credit live_wire_oak for the thread.

marcolo - great to see you back.

• jdesign_gw
    9 years ago

I'd probably make the Island bigger and run it the long way of the kitchen. Looks like a long way from the cooktop. Seating on the back side facing the sink. Have to see a floor plan of the whole space and flow pattern.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

You will need a really large pantry elsewhere to house all of the things usually stored in upper cabinets. And orthopedic shoes to keep walking back and forth between it and the prep zone. You will also need quite a large budget to accomplish this kitchen. That's a lot of high quality windows being shown there, with probably some steel for the headers. Since you are planning on concrete construction, you will need even more steel and more engineering for so many windows.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

A lot of good ideas have been posted for you to consider. You might think about having someone (if you can't do it - I couldn't) photo shop some of the ideas into your inspiration kitchen. Like windows w/o the dividers. (I hate those - having them removed in my place where I can). To me they block the views and are a pain when cleaning the panes! I'd also want some windows that open.

Photo shop in the wall behind the stove and a different fan. I think those were main concerns. That'd be a great boost to visualizing it.

The remote control shades are a super idea! Have 'em down a bit when the sun is blazing.

I would wonder how far away the fridge is... will the island be a barrier to it? I do like the 3 main areas a bit close to each other. Don't want to hike back and forth...

At 40 the aging bones are on your heel and snapping! You never know where you'll be health wise in just a few yrs. Plan for it now. Some wider doorways, hallways, studs behind some bathroom walls for future handrails. Believe me those things are handy without the aging part - just break a leg, ankle or kneecap and you'll know. Any of those will make going potty or taking a shower very difficult - and painful. You don't realize the work parts of your legs (the ankle, calf, thigh, knee) do in getting you up and then down to a sitting position until a part of a leg isn't working up to snuff. I broke a kneecap back in 2001 and found out. It made me think of labor pains many times a day and reoccurring day after day after day and into many weeks. A friend recently broke his ankle - he's finding out how much use of that ankle he previously took for granted.

btw, I think your future kitchen IS beautiful and will be a joy to work in!

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

Way too many of those lower cabinets are 'cabinets', change them all to drawers and maximize sizes. Combine where they have a narrow drawer stack and a narrow cabinet into a nice wide drawer base.

• eurekachef
    9 years ago

I love windows too, but I think there are a few prob with this kitchen. The windows behind the range will rapidly become grease stained, and the hood is too high to be useful. I think you reallly need a wall behind the range, and if you use a decorative backsplash it will enhance the appearance. The sink on the island is too large, but a prep sink on the island is extremely valuable. It provides a 2nd cooking station, and it's also very convenient for kids [or older guests] to wash their hands w/o having to go to the main sink.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

I really have to disagree that the window behind the stove will become grease stained. It might and might not, depending on several factors. I've been reading up on this since I may do it myself. It sounds like if you have a good hood and use it regularly and don't fry a lot, it may not be much of an issue. I'm planning on 30" deep counters so the distance from cooktop to window will be more and that helps as well.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

glad someone remembered to bring up DRAWERS! drawers, drawers!

I think that having a window behind the stove would be difficult to clean. Having a 30" deep counter would make it even more difficult. If you hire the cleaning done it might work out. I probably couldn't reach the BS over a counter that deep.

• DIY2Much2Do
    9 years ago

In your planning process, consider the appearance and function at night also. Do you do a lot of cooking in the evening after dark? The wall of windows will become a big dark surface. I'd plan some lighting outside under the eaves or porch to soften the night appearance, as well as adequate downlighting for the counters, since you can't have under-cabinet lighting.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Read this.

Glass doesn't get dirtier than any other backsplash. But that hood is comical. It's so high up, it looks frightened of the toaster. Which makes it useless.

• camlan
    9 years ago

RaspberryLatte, I brought up "aging in place" because of what you said:

"We do plan to settle down in this house for good and really wouldn't want to move again. Any planning is done considering our own needs only, so no need to be concerned about resale. We never moved a lot before and prefer to stay in one place for a long time. "

Sounds like you are planning to live in this house for the next 20 or 30 years, at least.

What I like about your kitchen is all the windows. What would make the kitchen difficult for me to use is the lack of upper cabinets. I didn't expect to get arthritis of the spine at 47. There are days I simply cannot bend over to retrieve something from a lower cabinet, especially if it is in the back of the cabinet. Stuff in the upper cabinets is right at eye level and easy to retrieve.

If you Google "universal access," you'll find a lot of information about how to plan a house so that as you age, you don't need to do a lot to the house to keep living there.

Stuff like changing door knobs to levers is easy and relatively inexpensive to do. Stuff like widening a doorway to accommodate a wheelchair is easy-peasy in the planning stages, and much more difficult and expensive to retro-fit.

When I look at your inspiration kitchen, I think a couple of different thoughts.

One, you've eliminated all the upper cabinets. What I like about uppers is that they are shallow, so you can only stack so many things in front of other things. They are at eye level, making it easy to put things away and get them out.

Go to your current kitchen and open the upper cabinets. What's in them? Probably the things you use on a very frequent basis--dishes, glasses, everyday food items.

Now think where you will put them in your new kitchen. A pantry, so you will need to walk across the kitchen whenever you need a glass of water? Or a dish drawer, so you stand at the dishwasher and put them away easily?

Lower cabinets are deep. In order to get the full use out of them, people stack stuff in front of other stuff. Meaning that when you need something, you have to bend over and drag several items out of the cabinet in order to get to the one you want.

This can be fixed by using more drawers, or pull-out shelves.

Just saying that I think there are some practical issues involved with not having any upper cabinets that need to be thought out before you build.

Two, it does seem perfectly designed for someone in a wheelchair, except for the cabinet under the sink.

Three, if you really are planning on staying in this house a long time, making it user-friendly for someone with limited mobility is a wise idea. Make sure you can get a wheelchair or walker in between counters and islands. Keep the distances you have to carry a full (heavy) pot from one place to another to a minimum. Lugging a heavy pot full of water half way across a kitchen is no fun.

I guess I'm just trying to say that with a little forethought now, you can enjoy this house for decades, and it won't cost much, compared to having to renovate or even move later, to accommodate physical changes.

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

I too had a dream. I married Farrah Fawcett and we drove away in a Ferrari. Then I woke up. Reality set in. Girl next door and Honda works better to actually live with in the long term. Much cheaper, and you don't have to pretend to be someone you're not all the time. ''Decorate for the life you really have, not the life you wish you had.‘‘ Look around you. Find the life you are actually living. Build for that life. And be comfortable there.

• practigal
    9 years ago

Personally it is the view out the window that attracts me. You will need to have an attractive yard (and distant neighbors) to make this look good. You will need energy efficient windows and a good overhang. If you do not have privacy in your location then you cannot put windows behind the stove because you will not be able to have a window covering behind the stove...

My pet peeve at most kitchens shown in magazines is that they take the photos pre-window covering and frequently have a window arrangement that canNOT be covered attractively, or in this case safely.

It looks like the lower windows open out from the bottom (poor security) and that the uppers do not open at all.

Acres of countertop is only beautiful so long as it is clutter free as depicted, you must be up to the task...

Also there is your saftey to consider...at night any one will be able to see you when you have the interior lights on.

Are your neighbors remote-do you always wear clothing in the kitchen-never had to run from shower to kitchen to turn something forgotten off?

I loved the other thread about why the big picture was lost because...that is exacly what I was thinking when I saw that you wrote: "I would like slightly..."

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

Very appealing kitchen but...

Looks like the HO's decided that, after all was said & done, they really did need a hood over the cooker.

So they installed one and fixed that problem, sorta'.

'Cept now the maid is demanding several hundred dollars worth of personal protective equipment and hazard pay.

• nancyjwb
    9 years ago

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/shingle-style-home-in-hanover-nh-victorian-kitchen-burlington-phvw-vp~106086)

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Norwich Architects & Building Designers Smith & Vansant Architects PC
    I thought this might be helpful. A little more traditional styling, with a wall behind the range but windows on either side. A little smaller windows but the overall effect is the same. The same neutral tones and similar countertop. The refrigerator in this kitchen is to the right, so the work triangle is nice and handy and the cleanup zone separate. I still think you could have a prep sink on the perimeter countertop between the refrigerator and range, if you want your island clear. In this kitchen, the everyday glassware and plates are on the island across from the cleanup sink.
    This kitchen is one of my favorites!

• La Na
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nancyjwb and Aloha, wow! Those are fabulous kitchens! The one with a sea view is fantastic! One of the kitchens looks like a winter garden, which is cool. I definitely see a lot of similarities in these kitchens with the one I like. The hood in front of a window in one photo looks slender and much nicer than the one in my inspiration photo. But I also like the narrow strip of wall between two windows, with a hood mounted on it. The wall doesn't look too wide and if a hood is made of glass, it wouldn't be too dominating in the entire kitchen picture. I definitely think that a wall between the windows would work nicely, especially if it is a narrow strip. We don't need a huge range as we mostly eat fresh veggies or bake, rarely fry or cook food.

I don't like those wide dividers that the windows in my inspiration photo have. Those massive crosses are a bit odd. I certainly prefer either completely clear and simple windows, or windows similar to those in the "winter garden" kitchen.

We are thinking about buying a 20-acre lot, so the neighbors will be far enough. I like privacy. We won't have a sea view because we want to be a bit away from the beach and the flood zone, but we'll have a garden near the kitchen, so that's what our view would be on one side. The other side will face the driveway and the front yard. We'll have the kitchen in the front of the house.

I'll try to answer all the questions tomorrow or Monday, been very busy today, but I read all the comments. Thanks everyone for taking time to comment, I really appreciate all the tips and ideas!

• La Na
    Original Author
    9 years ago

jdesign, I don't have a floor plan yet. I needed to get an idea of what kind of a kitchen I like first, then work the floor design around it. I'm still working on the floor plan. We don't plan sitting at the island, it'll be just the working area. We'll have a table or a banquette.

GreenDesigns, I don't quite like the windows on the inspiration photo. They're too massive. I prefer simple windows. I also will have a large pantry and a butler pantry (or a combination of the two), so many large or rarely used items will stay there. Also, I want this kitchen to not be open to any other room, so there will be 4 walls. I might add some kind of a hutch at the 4th wall, or a few cabinets with glass doors, not sure yet. Besides, there will be upper cabinets on the left wall, where I can keep glasses and cups. Everything else, including plates, can go in the drawers.

desertsteph, I'll definitely play with variations in Photoshop. I'm a photographer (that's why I need all that light in the kitchen!) and have Photoshop, so I can use it for tweaking a photo and seeing how it'd look if it's changed. I'll do that a bit later, when I have more free time. As for the size of the kitchen, it'll be big enough, at least 15-16 ft on each side, but possibly 21-22 ft, it all depends on the floor plan. I have both plans and am trying to decide which one I like better. But there definitely should be enough space between the refrigerator and the island. I like a lot of space around me, and I learned that the hard way (have such a tight kitchen right now!).
    The studs in the wall is a brilliant idea! I'm not sure how to implement it though as we'd like to build a house with concrete walls.

Christina222, I want to have the drawers in my kitchen, and the more, the better. I love the idea of having lots of drawers and being able to find things easily.

EurekaChef, in my first post I wrote about that window behind the range. I don't see it practical. Also, I don't want to have any sink in the island, just plain working surface as it's much easier to keep it clean. We don't have kids, and I plan to have a guest powder room near by, so the guests can wash their hands there.

DIY2Much2Do, we do cook in the evening, but I was thinking about remote control shades or something like that.

camlan, you're absolutely right, it's better to think about the future in advance, and much cheaper too. We do want to settle in this new house and don't want to move. I have moved only twice in my entire life, ditto for DH, and it's such a hassle to move often. As for the upper cabinets, I never liked them after one of my friends (20 years ago) had her upper cabinet fall off the wall and almost kill her and her baby. She put too much stuff in there. I never know if I also put too much stuff in my upper cabinets. I don't use plastic, so all my glasses are made of glass, and cups are clay and porcelain, so they're all quite heavy. Half of my upper cabinets are empty because I never know how much weight they can support.
    On the left wall of the kitchen, I plan to have a few upper cabinets, but the kind that will rest on top of the lower cabinets. In other words, there will be no space between the uppers and lowers. I can keep glasses and cups there. And if I don't get a wall oven but a range, then there should be even more available space on the left wall for upper cabinets. Something like this: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg092353063681.html
    DH often assists when I cook, so if I can't bend to get something out, he will! :-)
    As for the space, like I already said above, I like a lot of space around me in, and I plan to make the aisles wide enough for two people walk by without rubbing elbows. I spend a lot of time in the kitchen, not just cooking, but doing photography, so I need plenty of space to move around a tripod and other equipment.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

You are well on your way to changing so many things about the inspiration picture that it no longer resembles the inspiration when done. You need an experienced architect to keep you on track as how to get there from here. Otherwise, you are likely to end up at a completely different place!

• La Na
    Original Author
    9 years ago

practigal, our neighbors will be far enough to not be able to peek into our windows. And there will be many trees between our houses. We're planning to buy a 20-acre lot in an equestrian community and the lots there are large enough. As for the view - I think the pine trees are good enough to look at, but I also want to have a small herb and veggie garden near the kitchen. The kitchen will face the front yard and a long driveway on one side, and on the other side there will be pine trees/garden. That's good enough for me.
    I'm not sure what kind of windows we'll have, but being a European, I prefer simple things. I definitely will want the windows to open though. Maybe something like this: http://www.greenbuildingstore.co.uk/page--gallery-outward-opening-window.html
    This way they're easy to clean on both sides when you're either inside the kitchen or outside.

nancyjwb, like I've already wrote yesterday, the kitchen photo you posted is very close to the one I have in mind. A bit less modern, and at the same time not overly traditional, so I think the stainless steel appliances would not look out of place in such a kitchen. And the coffered ceiling looks great. I wonder if that is 10 ft ceiling or 12 ft. I like this height.

Aloha, I can't stop looking at that kitchen with the sea view! :-) The only thing I'd change here is the sitting area - I prefer a cozy banquette since there are only two of us. I like how the refrigerator is hidden in that compartment, or whatever that is called. Very nice idea.

• La Na
    Original Author
    9 years ago

live_wire_oak, that's why this is only an inspiration picture. I didn't intend to copy everything in it. In fact, there are many things that I'd change right on the spot: the cabinets, the color of the countertops and floor, the hood, the windows, etc.. I just liked the idea of having 2 walls lined with the windows, and this was the only photo that I have found with this idea.

• lucky123
    9 years ago

Most kitchens are designed for women 5 ft 3 in.
    That makes the taller folks stoop labor.
    The DH likes to wash dishes but hates the stoop. I like to cook but get weary of the stoop.
    If it isn't for resale then make certain your contractors know how high you want the sink and counters.
    An inch or so makes a big difference

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

With no upper cabinets (hence no undercabinet lighting), I don't think you'll want 12-foot ceilings. The light from the windows is fantastic - but your kitchen may see a lot of use after dark, or on rainy or overcast days. Lighting from above will be critical. As someone else pointed out, at night those big windows will be giant black walls.

As you work through this process, think about where most-used items will go: cutting boards, trash, potholders, cooking utensils, spices, knives, pots and pans, dishes, cookie sheets, small appliances. Picture yourself preparing a typical meal - and assess the steps you take from start to finish (including cleanup). You might find that a smaller workspace makes a lot more sense for you - or you need to include the cost of roller skates in your budget.

• La Na
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lucky, I didn't know that most kitchens are designed for women 5 ft 3 in. Wow, this is something new! I'm 5' 4" but DH is 6'4". But I cook more often or he assists me by handing thing, mixing and doing the simpler tasks. He's the one to wash dishes (actually, just put them in the DW). This is a dilemma for us as I want him to learn more cooking. I'll think what we can do about the heights of the countertops, thanks for the tip.

Annkh, I had to smile when I read about the roller skates! :-) Actually, one of the reasons why I like big rooms and especially a big kitchen is that it forces one move. I sit way too much during work and I need to move more.
    You're probably right about the 12-foot ceilings, I've had the same concerns. I think 10-foot will do. As for the windows, I was thinking about the remote control shades, or perhaps windows with the blinds mounted inside, between 2 layers of glass. They have those in Europe, not sure I could get them here. They can be remote control blinds, or you just pull a little chain on the side of a window to lower or raise the blinds. Being inside the window, you never get dust on them. Another option would be external blinds, which are also very common in Europe. But I'm not sure how easy it is to get them. In Florida they might be a great addition as a hurricane protection. I have to think a real lot about the windows situation!
    Thank also for the tip about thinking where to keep things. I think I'd keep the more frequently used utensils close to the range and design the drawers to fit those needs, while less used things will go elsewhere in the kitchen.

• practigal
    9 years ago

Pella makes the shades in the glass...all of the other mftr are moving in that direction, so you should have no issues finding that if you decide that is what you want.

Outside shutters seem like a great idea especially Florida but you will have to look into that and find out what local experience has been. Those that I have seen on houses here (California) look best when the exterior was planned to have them from the beginning.

I would post on the decorating site to see if anyone has and likes remote control shades. They seem like a great idea.....

Given your height differences why not raise the DW cabinet (and maybe the adjacent cabinet), it will be easier for either of you to stack the DW and provide a higher prep surface for DH.

• ltlfromgardenweb
    9 years ago

HollySprings, you are a boy??? This whole time I was picturing you as a girl. This changes everything! Not really, of course. But you did shake up my mental image of you.

• La Na
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Practigal, thanks for mentioning Pella, I'll definitely take a look at their products.

Please post a link here when you post on the decorating site, it would be interesting to see what others say about the remote control shades. Thanks!

You're right, the outside shutters look better if they're planned right from the beginning. The shutter I had in mind look like this:

• La Na
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I didn't figure out how to post several images in one message yet, so will post one at a time.

• La Na
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's more:

• La Na
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I like the roll box (or whatever it is called) be hidden inside the wall or window frame. Not sure how to explain it, but sometimes these shutters have a horizontal box on top of a window, in which the shutters retreat when rolled up. Those look rather massive and I like to have the windows look clean and neat. Like this:

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Hurricane shutters are not designed to go up and down every day. They are difficult to roll by hand, and the motorized versions don't work when the power is out. They are very expensive. However, if you're in FL, you'll need them anyway.

• La Na
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Marcolo, thank for the info. I didn't know that the hurricane shutters are difficult to roll by hand. I never had them myself as we never needed them, but we'll be moving to FL and I guess they're a good addition there. I'd rather spend extra money for protecting the windows than have them fixed after each hurricane!

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

What is your budget for this project? You have some expensive tastes, and it would be a shame to not be able to fully realize a planned project when the bids start coming back triple what your budget will be.

• La Na
    Original Author
    9 years ago

GreenDesigns, the budget it 600K, but if necessary, it can go higher.

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

My folks had hurricane shutters on their house in S. Fla. Some were motorized, others were hand-crank and a few others were raised and lowered by a belt (think public bathroom roller towels but much, much narrower). The hand-crank and belt shutters were only installed on small windows, otherwise they were too heavy to operate easily.

My folks kept the shutters up the majority of the time but if we wanted to lower them - to block the sun coming in at a fierce angle late in the day - we did. And they were closed whenever my folks traveled and the house was empty or during several threatened hurricanes (which thankfully never became more than a threat).

When they moved to OR, they installed hurricane shutters on all the windows and doors facing the backyard, not for hurricane purposes but for sun/heat control (because they block the sun's heat before it reaches the window, the house stayed cooler) and burglary deterrent.

When my brother and I sold the house last year, the shutters were 20 years old and still working just fine, even though they had seen regular use. We had to replace the plastic box around one of the hand crank mechanisms but that was an easy fix. One of the belts was getting a bit frayed around the edges but it still worked and our realtor said it wasn't enough of an issue to replace for sale. I should add that for those 20 years, my folks traveled for several months each year so the shutters had the equivalent of about 15 years of use.

But my folks didn't - and I wouldn't - rely on the shutters for daily shade and privacy control. They had window shades for that purpose. The shades between window panes would be ideal for your purposes, IMO.

And yes, hurricane shutters are rather spendy but if you live in hurricane country, worth it IMO.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Nice spacious kitchens. I wished for more windows in my remodel, but in reality, lost a couple instead. Don't know if mentioned already, but in the first pic, the hood above the windows looks way too high to be useful.

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Well, 600K ought to just about get you the kitchen. The rest of the house though.....

• ltlfromgardenweb
    9 years ago

Wow, the budget just for your kitchen is 600k? My whole house was not much more than 600k!

• La Na
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lisa, thank you for such a great information!

LongTimeLurker, I wish! :-)))) The 600K is for the entire house.