Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

I really like this Xtra Large Format tile

palimpsest
12 years ago

Kerlite: solid porcelain offered in 3mm, 3.5mm(mesh backed), and 7mm "twin" thicknesses.

Standard sizes are 39" square and 39" x 117" for a single tile. It is slightly flexible and has very good impact strength.

That's one tile :)

{{!gwi}}

Comments (26)

• lala girl
    12 years ago

oh, I love that - so clean and ultra simple, kind of a concrete look.

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

I love it also if the room is big enough for that size tile! Hardly any grout lines! But I am sure the floor has to be really level.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes I am sure laying it is a particular skill, but apparently it is slightly flexible. I am thinking that my entire entry could be one tile, an entire powder room could be one tile (or a couple of the square tiles)

• rhome410
    12 years ago

VERY nice. Just the pattern and color range I was looking at when considering large format tiles for countertops. Great idea to use one (or two) for a small floor.

I'm not a big tile expert and have only cut small ones with a tub saw... Would this be a bear to cut?

• plllog
    12 years ago

Totally cool!

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Is the tile big or are the people small?

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Apparently it is really easy to cut and you can use hole saws and things like that.

• sjmitch
    12 years ago

So do I - what a great idea. I wonder if any of these samples exist(Toronto, Ontario area) to go and have a look at.

• clg7067
    12 years ago

That's cool. I wonder if because it's flexible will it still hold up to crazy Belgian dogs.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

"Kerlite is a totally natural product obtained from highly selected raw materials." according to their web site. I think anything petroleum-based meets this definition. Stretching it, one could say that any molecule that exists is natural, so any constituent ingredient is natural.

I have it.
    It definitely feels like a porcelain with some epoxy admixture.
    It definitely does not feel like porcelain.
    This is OK; not a complaint. I'm just trying to figure out what it is.

sjmitch, in Toronto go to Ciot.

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

Yum. How gorgeous would this blue be as a countertop? Or the true black?

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The "Twin" in 7mm with a reinforcing mesh is promoted as a countertop material. Kerlite is suitable for commercial lobbies, so it should hold up to dogs.

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

Even Belgian dogs. Although I wouldn't put them on the Restoration Hardware Belgian sofa.

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

Kerlite as countertop:

• chicagoans
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for posting all the pictures! I love those super-large tiles. What a great idea for a counter top and I like it for walls and floors. I would love to use this somewhere. The only laminate left in our house is in the basement bathroom, laundry, and tiny kitchenette area and it's perfectly fine. But now I'll be eyeing it and thinking about super-large tiles.

• rosie
    12 years ago

I really like that too and would consider it for a counter. I expect it's on the pricey side, though. I was surprised to discover how much more expensive composite materials are nowadays compared to granite. It's supposedly cheaper to quarry, cut, and ship around the world than to manufacture here from petrochemicals.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Not too expensive really, it starts(at least converting from pounds) at about $166 per tile or square meter, which is less than $18.00 a square foot. I don't know if the size of the largest format is triple the $166, or more than triple but at ~$500 for a 40x117 tile that's not bad. The "twin" for countertops is probably more expensive of course but even the thin tile could be used as a countertop as long as you didn't want an undermount sink.

• sochi
    12 years ago

I like, very much. I will check it out at Ciot next time I'm in Toronto. Thanks for the tip pal.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

The guys at That Forum say it's extremely flexible, which is important in a format this big.

How would you edge the countertop?

One other way to use this--if you go find the colors brochure you'll find the tile cut into cool, extra-long lengths. There's a green, buff and black bathroom that is somewhere between ultramodern and retro. Looks great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Colors Brochure pdf

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The thick material appears to be like solid surface.
    The thin material can probably be done like a laminate countertop with a thin piece applied to the front edge of the substrate and the raw edge smoothed.

Or you could use Schluter edges.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

Well,I guess it's sort of big, but I'm holding out for the one room-size tile with zero grout joints. May as well go whole hog.
    Casey

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

LOL Casey, exactly.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

big enough to cover a bathroom wall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kerlite commentary

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

Backsplashes! In Pal's bath-forum thread to which D-Ro linked, David suggests using it for backsplashes. Yes, this is a very interesting idea. You could do whole sheets for a seamless look (like a ruggedized painted backsplash). Or you could use long, wide strips so that one can tell it is not a solid surface, but with minimal grouting. Hmm.....

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

It reminds me of that Granite Transformations stuff. That's granite dust mixed with a binder of some sort, either resin or epoxy. Same idea. Their big sheets that they call slabs have been used in commercial settings. I don't care for the look as a counter top because it's seams are butted together and that is not a good look but maybe they have improved upon that of late. It's starting to seem as if you can throw just about anything into epoxy and have a big sheet of it!!! It's good that they are always thinking of something new out there.