Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Q about support under quartz counters (for overhang)

Posted by lori_inthenw (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 20:16

This is from the Caesarstone installation manual.

"Support is required on overhangs over 8" for 2cm thick slabs and 16" for 3cm slabs."

What kind of support is needed? Can it be visually unobtrusive? I hope so, I really don't want any corbels or anything like that. Our overhang will be 12" but we haven't decided on the thickness yet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Q about support under quartz counters (for overhang)

I use 1" 18 gauge square tube steel painted black to support overhangs. It is very unobtrusive and much stronger than 1/4" flat stock.

o

Thanks, Trebruchet. How far out toward the edge does the tube steel go and how close together do you space it?

o

I used 3/8" x 2.5" flat metal bars that went down the full width of the countertop (including overhang), spaced every 24". The bars were routed into the plywood support (I used 2cm quartz) so that the countertop laid flat on top of the base.

o

lori,

Click on the link below. It will take you to the Federal Brace Website. They have lots of options for invisible counter support.

Here is a link that might be useful: Federal Brace

o

Thanks, Mark and Calumin. I don't want to pretend to tell the fabricators how to do their job, I just like to be informed about options before I'm asked to make decisions. That Federal Brace site is fun-- I could find all sorts of fun things there as well as what I was looking for!

o

You might also want to check out Centerline Brackets. They are 1/2" thick, so they are far stiffer than the 1/4" ones that you typically see. Plus, their pricing seems more reasonable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Centerline Brackets

o

"How far out toward the edge does the tube steel go and how close together do you space it?"

2" from the edge or so; 16" on center give or take.

o

Our island has an 18" overhang for seating on 3 sides. Our stone fabricators built a steel frame that supports the entire counter, instead of a plywood subtop.

Here is a link that might be useful: steel frame

o

The steel frame seems like an over engineered solution. That's fine to do, but I'm sure that it wasn't cheap.

o

If you can find a metal service shop in your area, they should stock steel bars and cut to order - that is probably the cheapest approach. I think I paid $45 for three 34" bars, cut from a single 10' strip.

From there, the GC should be able to deal with the rest.

o

IIRC, the steel frame was about $600. It might be over-engineered for a 12" overhang, but not for our 18" overhang with quartzite. With 2 little ones, we weren't taking any chances with a large stone overhang not being properly supported.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here