Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaysd_gw

Mini reveal: White Macauba quartzite counters

kaysd
10 years ago

So, we still have a bit of work to do before I can do a full kitchen reveal, but I have received several requests to see the counters. We used 2 cm White Macauba quartzite throughout the kitchen. The 96" x 54" island has a 2-1/4" mitered edge. The perimeter counters have a 2cm square edge, with a 3/8" recessed reveal below.

I visited a lot of stone yards, a few multiple times, over several months to find white quartzite slabs. Then I walked into Amazon Stones one day to see if they had anything new, and these two amazing book-matched slabs were displayed at the entrance to the yard. They had just arrived the day before, and I slapped a hold on them before anyone else could snatch them.

We used Davis Stone in Escondido to fabricate the counters. They did an amazing job of matching the veins at the edge on all 4 sides of the island so that it looks like a solid slab of stone, rather than a built-up edge. (Of course, I'm not fooling anyone, because whenever someone comes over, I have to point out the awesome mitered edge.)

We wanted seating on 3 sides of one end of the island. An 18" overhang in 3 directions required some serious support. This is the steel frame Davis Stone built to support the overhang:

I absolutely love these counters - they make me happy every time I walk into the room. I wanted the veined white and gray look of marble, but without the worry. I have 2 little girls (and a husband) who spill, and patina is not my thing. Red wine, balsamic vinegar, citrus, etc. have all been spilled on my counters with no issues so far.

We have a bay window bumpout, with curved corners, and they did a really good job of scribing the counters to the walls, since I don't want a backsplash on this wall.

Comments (31)

• rosylady
    10 years ago

That is a truly beautiful fabrication they did. And the slabs themselves are gorgeous!

• alex9179
    10 years ago

Breathtaking!

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Oh, wow...spectacular! Congratulations, your stone yard stalking really paid off! I'm happy for you, thanks for sharing!

• nycbluedevil
    10 years ago

Oh my goodness, they are spectacular! And I love your cabinets too. I can't wait to see your full reveal. Well done!

• sanjuangirl
    10 years ago

Very beautiful! And what an amazing job of fabrication! Your guy gets cudos all around,. Looks like your kitchen will be stunning. My quartzite for the island and bathrooms are being fabricated as we speak, for a Friday install. If they don't come out wonderfully like yours I'll kick myself since I live so close I could have used your guy....

Fingers crossed. I'm in San Juan Capistrano. Hope the rest is as perfect as your stone!

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

OMG! Just OMG!!!

(swoon)

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Wow! Lovely and a first rate install to boot!!! Just love it!

• taggie
    10 years ago

Holy moly! Stunning. Just absolutely, totally, and completely stunning.

• Mgoblue85
    10 years ago

I almost asked about those fabulous counters while reading your thread regarding your hood choices. LOVE them!!! They look awesome!

• rkb21
    10 years ago

Just gorgeous! Can't wait to see the full reveal.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Just lovely! And an impressive job with the cantilever and steel frame!

• azmom
    10 years ago

Wow!!!! The fabricator deserves a bravo reward! Wow!!!!

• ice1
    10 years ago

This is just beautiful. Congrats.

• Linda
    10 years ago

I can only echo a "WOW!!!!!"

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

Wow!!! I am positively drooling over your counters and really your whole kitchen. I am a sucker for white counters and wood cabinetry and the modern slab doors, stainless, and floor just seal the deal for me. I am so pleased you were able to find such amazing slabs of gorgeous stone and that your fabricator did a phenomenal job. Congratulations on a stunning kitchen!

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

OHH

EMM

GEE

It's FAHHBULOUSSSS !!!!!!!!!!!!

• michoumonster
    10 years ago

looks amazing! cannot wait to see the reveal!!

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I LOVE your White Macauba Quartzite counters! I love so far what I can see of your kitchen and can't wait for the full reveal!

• kaysd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all so much for your kind words! This remodel has been a long and stressful process, and it is so nice to see the details finally coming together as I had envisioned. Being on GW has kept me sane, and I know the kitchen design was greatly improved by all I learned here.

It took a long time to find the right slabs and the right fabricator (one wanted me to sign a waiver before he would attempt to fabricate and transport my sink run in one piece). I learned on GW that quartzite can be difficult to work with because it is so hard, so I knew I wanted someone with experience handling it. When I was touring slab yards, I saw a gorgeous display counter of White Macauba with a mitered edge and found out that Davis Stone had fabricated the display. I called Davis, and when I found out they could also fabricate the metal support structure in-house, I was sold. They were not the lowest bidder for the job, but I am really glad I selected them. They are the only company I worked with on this remodel where I had no problems or hassles (big or small) with workmanship, communications, and/or delays.

• acheavacci
    10 years ago

Stunning!!!! Have you been caught hugging your island? :)

• kaysd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hugging, no (it's too big). Fondling, yes, lol.

• ck_squared
    10 years ago

Gosh, that is just gorgeous! Cannot wait to see the full reveal. Thanks for the tease. :-)

p.s. how do you like the size (and what is it) of your round prep sink?

• kaysd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ck, it is an Artisan sink. Interior is 14" wide x 8" deep. It is big enough to hold my large colander and my stock pot (although I can also fill pots on the counter with the pullout faucet). The size is good for me: big enough to do what I need w/o using up lots of counter space. I use it for rinsing produce, filling pots, dumping pasta water and washing hands. If I need to rinse out large poultry, I use the big sink.

Here is a link that might be useful: sink

• texasgal47
    10 years ago

The stone on that island is a work of art. Please accept my standing ovation to your fabricators, to the God who is the great creator, and to your perseverance in bringing it all together.

• nancyj
    10 years ago

I don't know how I missed this last month but those counters are gorgeous! I'm in the LA area but your beautiful stone and excellent fabrication almost make me want to drive down to SD to find similar stone and fab. Do you mind sharing the price of the slabs? I'm starting my search up here for White Macauba and am finding the prices vary substantially. Thanks!

• cluelessincolorado
    10 years ago

Wow! I missed a lot of posts while in VT this summer, this one included. Those are gorgeous and the fabrication wonderful.

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

That's a crazy beautiful counter! Absolutely love it. Your fabricator did a fabulous job. It's looking like you are getting close to a reveal.....hooray!!

• maggie530
    10 years ago

Just gorgeous! I went back and forth between quartzite and soapstone so many times before finally choosing soapstone. But your counters make me want a do over!

• Majra
    10 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful counters and kitchen! Congratulations on achieving your vision!

• steph2000
    10 years ago

I absolutely love these counters, too. Egads, I am a sucker for the linear lines... And it looks so great with the cabinets...

Can't wait for this reveal! What are you doing for the BS?

• dmpsd
    7 years ago

Hi. I just came across this post, but could never find the full reveal. Do you have pictures of your beautiful countertops with your backsplash? Also, how has the white macaubas held up? I just purchased white macaubas for my kitchen (also in San Diego). And did the metal support for the countertop work just as it was supposed to? Thanks!