Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dekr_gw

buycabinets.com

dekr
16 years ago

HI,

I am putting in a new kitchen and received a quote from buycabinets.com, price is great, but I cannot find a lot about the company except the website. Has anyone bought from them?

Also, does anyone own UltraCraft Destiny cabinets? If so, any comments on them?

Thanks!

Comments (22)

• fightingoverfinishes
    16 years ago

Well, I bought cabinets from them but haven't taken delivery yet. I had a great experience with my sales person. After you pay they turn you over to a "project manager". We haven't had the best time working with her but nothing serious. Our cabs should arrive in town any day and we will be contacted to set up delievery. I'll let you know when we get our cabinets.... I found a few positive postings on GW re: buycabinets....that is how I found out about them.

• User
    16 years ago

I have no experience, but checked them out with Better Business and I have attached the link to see the report. To take away the suspense, they look very reputable.

Here is a link that might be useful: bbb report on buycabinets.com

• jayav
    16 years ago

I considered them but eventually ended up going with a local company. I had a pleasant experience working with them though. There are bunch of folks on this forum who have purchased from them and are happy.

• amsunshine
    16 years ago

I purchased my Kraftmaid cabinets from them and am very happy. Their service was excellent from start to finish, and their prices were also excellent. No complaints at all.

• glad
    16 years ago

i don't have the ultracraft destiny cabinets but am considering them. the thermafoil doors i looked at were very nice -- no orange peel look for thew white and they rotate the wood grain in the wood look thernafoil from dor to door so they look more natural.

i didn't realize buycabinets carried them. does anyone know if you must do your own measurement/layout or do they have an option to have it done for you?

• amsunshine
    16 years ago

glad:

You must have your measurements done and cabinet specs done. Buycabinets will not do it for you. At least as of the time I bought mine (May), they did not.

• glad
    16 years ago

thx, amsunshine; that's what i figured. i actually prefer to buy from a local place that will hold the cabinets til install, but for the right price, i'd consider filling my apt. with boxes of cabinets. ;)

• krislrob
    16 years ago

I just received cabinets from buycabinets and we had ordered the Arch Bay cabinets. I had requested plywood construction. The doors look nice, but people should be aware that the front under the solid doors are a plastic material that looks very cheap. In addition, we are having a conflict over plywood vs. mdf because the cabinets arrived and they are mdf, not plywood. I read the purchase order and everything said "solid, solid, solid construction" and come to find out it is mdf. I sent them email correspondence and bids indiciating all plywood construction and they are basically saying "too bad" "enjoy your cabinets." This is one of the forums where I looked for feedback on buycabinets.com to make my decision. I'm sorry I bought their cabinets.

• rmkitchen
    16 years ago

I'm sorry for krislrob's bad experience -- that isn't right. I hate hearing about crappy customer service. (Unrelated, but because of a local store's horrible rep for equally horrible customer service, we've decided to get our second-choice fireplace somewhere else because they are noted for excellent customer service. It won't be the "perfect" fireplace as we could get from the mean store, but at least we will have zippo trouble if there are any problems.)

Now back to buycabinets.com. I spent a lot of time talking with them about a project (and they were patient and helpful -- not friendly, but helpful) using ArchBay cabs. I went to a local showroom to see and feel the cabinets and get a quote from them as well (for comparison purposes). They did feel flimsy but I figured for this particular room it would be okay (it's not a kitchen).

My local showroom thinks they're a poor brand and didn't want to even give me a quote (!), but he did. It was definitely more than buycabinets.com's quote. However, the local showroom (who also does custom) then gave me a quote for custom (and these are beautifully, exquisitely constructed), and unfinished (I want painted), and it came in a little less than buycabinet.com's ArchBay bid. (I know they juiced the bid a bit because this particular rep really likes me -- I think I'm his "type." [which certainly made my day!])

To get the ArchBay cabs unfinished (because none of their colors work for me) I'd still have to pay for them to be finished: there is no decrease for unfinished cabs. I didn't like that.

And for me, that sealed the deal. We went with the local custom cabinets and are having them painted after all.

Next year (or the year after, we'll see!) when we redo our master bath I'll again look at buycabinets.com I think their prices are terrific and a number of folks here on GW have had good experiences. But I'll also keep in mind krislrob's as well.

• sharon1
    16 years ago

dekr - where do you live? If you're in Nor Cal, I have a custom cabinet maker who does pretty nice work at a reasonable price. I've had positive and negative experiences with buycabinets and in the end I'm glad I didn't use them for my kitchen.

• flatcoat2004
    16 years ago

Sharon1, can you post about your cabinetmaker ? I am in SF and am starting the hunt right now !

Thanks !

• sharon1
    16 years ago

Here's a pic of my kitchen, you've probably seen it already, I just haven't taken the time to post it in the fkb.

His name is David Plascencia (209) 604-4377, he's out of Denair or Delhi (I can't remember), but it's around the Turlock area. He's a young guy, and it's a mom and pop shop. I was very hands on as far as details, beadboard backs, finished cabinet ends, drawer styles, wire mesh doors, etc. He can bascially do whatever you want, but it helps if you know what you want. His initial quote was a little lower than what we finished with, because of all the details I added, but his price was still much much lower than anyone else and it included the install.

If you need more info drop me an email.

Sharon

• alku05
    16 years ago

Krislrob, check you bill. Is the plywood construction upgrade box checked, and did you pay the ~20% upcharge for the upgrade? If so, they should replace your cabinets. If not, you got what you paid for, even if it's not what you thought.

• atalbot
    16 years ago

We have an order in with Buy Cabinets.com, currently and they have been very helpful, free shipping and zero sales tax. We went with Somersby by Masterbrands.

Krislrob, I'm sorry to here about your dispute, and just some information my order cleary indicates and states plywood sides, and then FBEP for all cab's we opt'd to have further upgraded. I also check around the boards here and learned they have an excellent reputation, and so far I can also confirm my experince has been very good, excellent service & extremly good pricing....plus no sales tax. By the way our SR was Jason!

• kbmas0n
    16 years ago

Anymore experiences on here? I guess everyone who orders from buycabinet.com goes to a KD first to get their layout drawn up?

I have one layout from Shiloh cabinets that I was getting quoted. Can I just use that same design? Is that all buycabinet.com needs?

• gshop
    16 years ago

I got a quote from buycabinets.com and they were very helpful. This was after spending numerous appointments with Lowes KD to do my layout (free). Buycabinets's quote was less than Lowes, but then Lowes came through with a 10% discount and free sink cabinet (Kraftmaid). But I was very impressed with Buycabinets and their follow through during to quote process. They even suggested a minor design change which saved $. But in the end, my DH and I decided to go with a local custom cabinet maker, we start demo Jan. 1 !!

• fightingoverfinishes
    16 years ago

I did my own layout and then checked the spec book of the line I wanted. From the spec book you can see if they have the same size cabinets as Shiloh or if you will have to make adjustments. For instance some lines may not carry a 42 in wide 30 in high wall cabinet and if that was in your original plans you would have to make and adjustment to your plans or try another line. At least that is what I did. Of course I am far from being an expert. Also some of the spec books (you can download them all from the buycabinets web site) show pricesÂand while they arenÂt the price you will pay it is a good way to see the relative price difference between a cabinet with pullouts and one without etc.

• jessie21
    16 years ago

check this thread from the first page. biondanonima posted her brand new kitchen, which is GORGEOUS by the way. she got her cabs from buy cabinets and they are great.

Here is a link that might be useful: great buycabinets experience

• kbmas0n
    16 years ago

Thank you! I definitely want to save money, but I am nervous that I will measure wrong or look at the wrong specs.

• ponderosapine
    15 years ago

Buycabinets laid off its entire workforce on Friday. I suggest you find another source.

• ponderosapine
    15 years ago

At a loss
    Used for 4 years without a problem. Ordered Kraftmaid Cabinets 12 weeks ago and they stopped returning calls a week and a half ago. I believe they have been shipped here to so. cal. but have no way of finding out.
    Posted By: stumblinl (99.204.163.ÃÃÃ), on Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Above is a post to XOM Reviews. If this person will contact me (ponderosapine), I will try to track their order down.

• paulnoller
    15 years ago

Please let me respond to the previous messages. My name is Paul Noller and I am the owner of CabinetMastersonline.com. We sell cabinets over the internet and have been in business since 1991.We are distributors for Kraftmaid and Norcraft as well.I am so sorry to hear about the problems some of you had with BuyCabinets.com .I can assure you that I do not conduct my business that way. Please do not let the policies of one cabinet company influence your opinion of all the other truly professional online cabinet companies still in business on the internet. If I can be of any assisance in any way please do not hesitate to contact me at paulnoller@cabinetmasterslex.com or paulnoller@aol.com or at 888-585-6106 Thank you.