Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
biondanonima_gw

O.M.G. It's FINALLY done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

biondanonima
16 years ago

Hi Guys! I've been away from the forum for a few weeks while I was waiting for the last few things to be done in my kitchen and bath - trying to become un-TKO! Anyway, it's FINALLY DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, 99.9% done. I still need to buy a toaster oven and maybe a couple of other countertop items, but the actual WORK is done! I am thrilled with almost everything. My sister saw it for the first time this weekend and all she could say was "it's so beautiful" for like 5 minutes! Anyway, here is a before pic, just to remind you of what I was working with:

And here is the finished product:

{{!gwi}}

Floors: Zendo by Cerdomus in Brown, 13x13

Backsplash: custom blend from Susan Jablon Mosaics

Cabinets: Somersby Braxton in cherry, Chocolate finish, from buycabinets.com

Pulls: Bars from contempo_living on ebay

Paint: Valspar from Lowe's, will look up color name later

Blinds: Blinds to Go in Espresso

Appliances: All GE - details to follow

Hood: Spagna Vetro from Eurokitchen

Granite: White Galaxy

Sink: Ticor 405D from Galaxy Tool Supply

Faucet: Kohler Semplice

Knife Strip: IKEA (good strong magnet!)

Pendants: ELK Lighting 5011ES

UC Lighting: Pegasus Associates T4 fluorescent (not that you can see it!)

I'll try to post more details and a few more close up shots later, but I wanted to give everyone a peek! There are a few things I wish I had done differently. I am not in love with my fluorescent UC lights - the color is too cool even though I chose "warm white" bulbs. However, I only really use them for work lights and they're fine for that purpose. My idiot contractor managed to screw up the range installation, so it sits about an inch away from the wall - annoying, but not a big deal. The decorative cover for the top rail of the blinds sits too close to the cabinet on the right, but that should be fixable - I just need to make a thinner cover out of cabinet "skin" or something. I have soft-close drawers and I'm not a big fan of them. Etc. But in general, I LOVE IT! I owe a huge debt of thanks to all of you TKOers on this forum - I would never have found many of the things I love the most (like the Never MT, the Airswitch, my "lascatx" spice drawer, etc) without you!

Comments (45)

• creekylis
    16 years ago

congratulations! you've done very well with the space you have. nice job! very classy.

• kbmas0n
    16 years ago

Of course I'm going to have gobs of questions for you!

1. How tall are your ceilings?
    2. How was it to work with buycabinets.com?
    3. Do your cabs go all the way to the top?

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! I love the color scheme and everything! GORGEOUS!

• biondanonima
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi kbmas0n, here are a few answers for you! My ceilings before the remodel were 8'10" high, and I dropped them slightly to accomodate the recessed lights. They're now about 8'5", I think. The cabs (which are 42" tall) do go all the way to the top, with some crown moulding. I'll have to take another pic that makes that more clear. Buycabinets.com was GREAT and I highly recommend them - I saved about $3-4K over what I would have paid for the same cabs from HD. Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know!

• raehelen
    16 years ago

WOW!

Bet you won't be hanging your oven mitts on the ends of those cupboards!!! :>)

I'm so happy for you! Maybe Santa will bring you a new toaster oven! If not, there are lots on sale right now.

Rae

• User
    16 years ago

What a great use of color and materials! Your space is distinctive and inviting. Congratulations!

A question - I must have missed the "lascatx" spice drawer thread. Can you give more information on that? Is it something you can purchase to put in an existing drawer?

• biondanonima
    Original Author
    16 years ago

amck, sorry about the spice drawer confusion - "lascatx" is a poster on here who is FAMOUS for her spice drawer! If you do a search on her name, you'll probably find a picture or two. She just has an entire drawer in one of her lower cabinets devoted to spices, all in identical jars with labels on top, in rows of 10. I have the drawer directly under my kitchenaid mixer set up the same way - I found jars at specialtybottle.com that are the perfect size and I filled the drawer with them - the 24" wide drawer fit 99 jars exactly. I'll take a pic of that later and post it for you!

• mnhockeymom
    16 years ago

It looks beautiful!! Love your colors and all the mixing - you done good!!! :)

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

Don't forget your terrific tile guy! :-)

Your kitchen turned out great! I am so excited for you! Isn't it wonderful walking into your kitchen knowing it's all done?

• biondanonima
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh YEAH! I have to give credit to Terry - he did an AMAZING job on the backsplash. I shudder to think what kind of mess I would have had if my original contractor had been allowed to do that job!

• lyfia
    16 years ago

AWESOME!! I thought maybe you had posted it already and I'd missed it. It turned out great. How well does it function for you?

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

You mean Kerry? LOL!

We still have to plan/choose stuff for the bathrooms, but at least I know we'll have a great a tile guy for those! Fingers are crossed he'll be available when we are!

• biondanonima
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oops - my brain and fingers aren't communicating well today! Yes, I meant Kerry - he is fabulous!

Anyway, Lyfia, so far it's GREAT! The area to the left of the stove is my primary cutting/prep area, and it's so nice just to be able to turn around and dump trash into the sink and down the disposal. The position of the dishwasher across from the stove is not ideal, but it was unavoidable and it can be worked around. Originally, the dishwasher was supposed to be on the right side of the sink, which I now realize would have been even worse, because the sink would have been right across from the stove. The problem is that the aisle is not wide enough to allow two people to stand across from each other comfortably, so no one would have been able to use the sink if I had been at the stove, etc. My sister was in town last weekend and we did some candy making, which was SO easy - we just spread everything out to dry all the way down the length of the counter, and she sat at the mini-bar to do the detail work. I can't even begin to tell you what an improvement EVERYTHING is!!!!!!!!!

• oldhometara
    16 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! I love your backsplash! Everything looks great!

• muscat
    16 years ago

Love it! The color scheme, the layout, the cabs and hardware- great!

• ntt_hou
    16 years ago

Oh WOW!!! Now that's a whole lot of improvement! It's gorgeous and very well done with the small area. Although, it doesn't seem small anymore. Congratulations!

• kbmas0n
    16 years ago

Thanks for the extra information! So are the Somersby cabs the same as Thomasville? Or Kraftmaid? I can't remember. Thanks!

• biondanonima
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Somersby are the same as Thomasville. I wanted Kraftmaid, but buycabinets doesn't sell Kraftmaid in my area. I am really happy with the Somersby/Thomasville cabs, though - they're fabulous!

• fran1523
    16 years ago

That kitchen has the WOW factor. I would love to know the name of that paint color.

• sedeno77
    16 years ago

Looks fantastic!

• quantumkitten
    16 years ago

What a transformation! It's really gorgeous, and it looks like you've made great use of your space. I love your color choices; they lend the room so much character.

One quick question: How would you rate the quality of the bar pulls from Contempo Living? I was looking at those on eBay just last night. The price is certainly right, and they seem to have all of the lengths that I would need, but I'm wary of ordering hardware sight unseen.

• Happyladi
    16 years ago

It looks really great. I love your choices. It's nice to see how great a smaller kitchen remodel can be.

• julier1234
    16 years ago

I love love love your color choices! You will never get tired of that backsplash - just beautiful. The cabinets look so rich!

• glad
    16 years ago

i've been looking forward to seeing this! you really did a great job with the color selections. and i was happy to see you have cerodomus tile; i'd never heard of it, but it is one of the brands the cheapest tile place around me carries. :)

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

I was wondering where you were. Last week I actually looked to see if I missed your final pics and headed out to the Finished Kitchen site.

Your kitchen is absolutely fabulous! It might be small but it has so much to look at. I love all your choices. Everything goes so well together. I would be too afraid to try a daring wall color and backsplash. BUT IT REALLY WORKS!!

Congrats!

• claybabe
    16 years ago

Ooooohhhh I love the color scheme! Just beautiful! More photos please. Nice job.

• rgillman
    16 years ago

What a gorgeous, sophisticated (NY?) kitchen! Great floor, great cabs - a before and after worthy of a magazine spread because it is REAL! Love it.
    Rayna

P.S. How do you like your faucet?

• paul_ma
    16 years ago

biondanonima,

Fabulous transformation!

I have a question about your bar pulls. How are they in reel life? I have looked that the Ikea ones and found them to be disappointing. (They are multiple pieces just held together by the attachment screws.)

Are these welded together in one piece - the bar and the legs? How is the finish? In general do they seem to be a high quality, good looking and sturdy product?

• brownli
    16 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen - you must be so proud. The colors are great.

I have to ask....what is the furball in the picture of your old kitchen...looks just like the backside of my sweetie cat Josie - she was a stray (-1yo) when we found her, but she's always been such a beautiful cat with a curled tail and hair color/sheen that changes with her moods.

• emmie9999
    16 years ago

I love it! I am so happy for you, I know how hard you ahve worked on your kitchen. And, as a fellow Susan jablon fan, I can tell you your backsplash is exquisite! ;-) I seriously love how you brought out the orange in everything.

• biondanonima
    Original Author
    16 years ago

To answer a few of your questions:

Fran1523: the paint color is Valspar's Pompei Orange. Oddly enough, they spell Pompei with only one 'i'.

Quantumkitchen and Paulma: I am fairly happy with the quality of the pulls from contempo living. They're very heavy and have a nice feel. The legs are separate from the bar, though, so if you get them you'll want to check that the legs screw in securely - a couple of mine had to be replaced. Also, the bolt that holds the handle to the drawer is not a standard size, and my contractor lost a few of them, so that was a little bit of a hassle because I couldn't just run to HD for new ones. The ebay seller was excellent to deal with though, and sent me replacement pulls and screws, no questions asked.

Rayna: it is a NYC kitchen (Queens) and I LOVE the faucet. It's so nice to be able to turn it on with a pinky finger when my hands are dirty, and I love that I don't have to adjust two knobs to get the right water temp. The spray feature and pause button are great too!

Brownli: the furball in the first pic is my old Persian cat Xerxes, who passed away in 2004. He was the CUTEST cat ever, with so much personality. I believe his official color was lilac - hard to see in that pic, but he was a solid grey with a little bit of a purplish undertone. Here's a close up:

Anyway, thanks for all the compliments - I'll be sure to post some more pics soon!

• tartanhabit
    16 years ago

What a transformation! I love your colours and how creative you were mixing your own backsplash!

Would you mind telling me what the distance is between the 2 sides of your galley? I'm thinking it looks pretty similar to how our configuration will end up and it's nice to see how it works in yours.
    Thanks.

• biondanonima
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tartanhabit, the kitchen is exactly 7 feet wide, with standard 24" depth cabinets, so the aisle is 3 feet less an inch or two for the countertop overhang. It's actually a GREAT width for a single cook, because everything is just a step or turn away, but it's not so good for multiple people, unless one person is prepping at one end of the counter while the other is at the stove. One at the sink and one at the stove is okay too. Luckily, I'm usually cooking by myself, and if someone else is in there they're just there to chat or do something that doesn't require stove/dishwasher access.

• donnar57
    16 years ago

Beautiful, I'm sure you must be so proud and pleased with it!

One recommendation on the Somersby/Thomasville cabinetry - I have the Thomasville cabinets. They come with movable shelves. While this is very nice to be able to put them where you want them, it has drawbacks. Don't miss a shelf pin someplace. My GC put the shelves where I wanted them, but did not use the back shelf pins. All of a sudden, the shelf in my pots-pans cabinet let loose. I was thankful that I had NO fragile glassware in that cabinet! I immediately went looking for the shelf pins, and fixed that little problem. Then went through the rest of my cabinets and looked to see what other pins might be missing/unused, and rendered that a non-problem.

DonnaR/CA

• basnjas
    16 years ago

Are you sure that's your kitchen? I could swear I've seen it in one of my Luxury Kitchens books. Oh wait! You're is way more functional than most of those kitchens. Most of those kitchens weren't designed and cried over by someone who was TKO!

I love your choices! You managed to make it look new in a warm, functional way, while making it look like it was the kitchen that was always there! I love the contrast of the orange with the black cabinets and the tile backsplash really pulls it all together.

I especially love your floor. The size and pattern are so well done. It really works well to break up the potentially long, galley look. And the lights above the eating area are stunning!

You've really outdone yourself with this one. Congratulations!

• biondanonima
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks guys! i realize my pics are probably not detailed enough for the TKO crowd, so I will post some better ones this weekend. If anyone wants close-ups of anything, let me know!

• glad
    16 years ago

btw, i was happy to see i'm not the only person keeping an undercabinet towel holder in the remodel! it's all about space in a small kitchen. :)

• lyfia
    16 years ago

biondanomina - sounds to me like it is very functional. I think in all kitchens you usually have to trade off something and yours seem like it isn't too bad for the space you have.

Speaking of photos - could I ask to see the cabinets by the window. Just curious to see how that turned out too.

• bklyn2pok
    16 years ago

WoW!!! Gorgeous kitchen!

• lascatx
    16 years ago

Wow! I can't imagine working in the before kitchen, but you have created a very functional, slick and yet warm galley with real, live counters! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

And the spice drawer photo is below. My 24" drawer has 110 jars, so the exact number may vary with your jars and the make and measure of your drawers, but either way, it really packs a punch. My drawer is an adadptation of something I saw here a year or more ago. I had thought about something similar, but it took me seeing a picture and deciding to order all new jars to put it to use. It works really well. Glad others have found it useful too.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• starpooh
    16 years ago

May I archive your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens Blog?
    If so please submit the Category Checklist. Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Kitchen Category Checklist

• sienne_c
    16 years ago

Your kitchen looks wonderful. Enjoy -- especially having more counter space.

• jayav
    16 years ago

Hey, lovely kitchen. I have made similar color choices so it is great to see what some of them might look like. WHat is "Never MT" by the way?

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

What a fantastic transformation! It's gorgeous, not to mention efficient and well laid out. Love that backsplash and your lighting. The second thing that went thru my mind (the first being "WOW!") was, "Now THIS is what a sophisticated NYC kithen probably looks like!" I had no idea where you lived until I read all these posts, though. Congrats on your very cool kitchen!

• igloochic
    16 years ago

That is one of the richest kitchens I've seen on here. It's really very lovely! And what a change in that space. You increased the value of that unit SOOO much with that kitchen!

Your furball was quite the gorgeous little kitty. I'm sure he'd appreciate the art in the new kitchen :)

• cburch
    16 years ago

It is beautiful!!! I love the color!!!! And from someone who has a galley kitchen ... it looks very funcational and so sophsicated!!

Christy

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor