Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alliern_gw

Custom cabinets begin installation! (pics)

alliern
15 years ago

Hi! I am so excited to be able to share these pictures with you! If it wasn't for this forum, I would've never considered "custom-built" cabinets were an affordable option for me. Let me tell you...I feel like I almost robbed a bank with how much money I saved over all of the manufactured lines on the market today.

The cabinets are beaded inset Shaker style with the perimeter painted BM Simply White and the island stained Alder wood. All drawers have the Blum BlueMotion full extention glides. I'll have two trash pull-outs and custom panels on both the fridge and dishwasher.

I'm awaiting my Statuario Extra marble for the island top and my Minas soapstone for the perimeter to be fabricated. The templating was done this past Wednesday.

Thank you to everyone who made numerous suggestions to other posters to check into custom cabinets!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (26)

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

I am so happy custom cabinets worked out for you. They sure did for me at a much lower cost!! Yours are terrific....I can't wait to see them with doors and drawers.

• redroze
    15 years ago

Oh. My. Goodness. Your kitchen is going to be outstanding. Love it.

• curious_kitty
    15 years ago

wow! I love the layout with large window over the sink area. It will look even more stunning after cabinet doors and granite top gets installed in. Which custom cabinet maker did you use? I am looking into cabinet maker's choice for a custom fit right now

• boysrus2
    15 years ago

Oh, that Alder wood is too pretty! I'm admiring your ceiling and arched entryway too. What type of stone is going on your fireplace?

• slc2053
    15 years ago

I am so glad you posted this....I almost started a separate thread about custom cabinets..we went to Lowes, HD, local lumber yard and priced cabs..all within $500 of each other for a small kitchen (4 uppers and 8 base cabinets).

We were looking at basic cabinet door style, no glaze, and no plywood upgrades; full extension drawers but no "soft close feature".....

Then, on a whim and after reading some posts on this forum, I gave a custom cabinet shop a call..boy am I glad I did...I can get the same cabinets in ALL plywood, and all the hardware including pulls/knobs, etc...for SAME price as those others ..plus the price INCLUDES installation...the others did not. Plus I get to meet my cabinet maker face to face and pick my own shade of stain and/or paint...sweet.

If anyone has the opportunity to do this I highly recommend it. The only drawback is I'm going to have to wait longer for the custom cabs as he has jobs ahead of mine...maybe 4 weeks longer...and we're impatient people so this was an issue for DH, but he agrees custom is the way to go!

Alliern..you're so excited and should be..it feels great to see it coming together..keep us posted!

• acountryfarm
    15 years ago

Everything looks spectacular. You must be very excited to see it all coming together. Keep posting updates, love to see the photos.

• annes_arbor
    15 years ago

Your kitchen looks like it will be stunning. Can't wait to see more progress pictures.

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

alliern, that is going to be gorgeous when it's done and those cabinets look really well made! We went the custom route as well, after shopping so many cabinet lines and cringing at the prices for what we were getting. Our cabinets should be installed next week and seeing your pics only makes me more excited.

What color paint is your kitchen and the gold in the room behind it? It's really nice and serene.

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

I am so happy to see your pictures! About a month ago I posted a note for you here (in this forum), and now it's wonderful to see your progress.

I guess I misunderstood Linda -- she'd said you'd be doing a marble backsplash, but maybe she meant on your island. ???

I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures of your marble.

Welcome to CO!

• Vivian Kaufman
    15 years ago

I'm in love with that coffered ceiling! Wow.

Pretty darn fabulous. Congratulations! Can't wait to see the marble. :)

• smilingjudy
    15 years ago

Ditto on the ceiling. And loving the shaker detail on the woodwork and that fireplace and those floors are going to be fabulous and.. and... and...

Can I move in?! :) Gorgeous.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

Oh I love your Alder island! Clean lines yet traditional.... AWESOME!

• alliern
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Everyone! Thank you all for your votes of confidence! I'm running out the door to Chuck E Cheese for a birthday party fo my son's friend but I want to answer two questions:

The stone on the FP is a blend of Eldorado Stone Cascade

The paint in the kitchen is BM Titanium and the hall beyond the kitchen is BM Aura Ylang Ylang color matched in their regular paint.

Please keep the comments coming as this design was my own and was a culmination of many magazine tear-outs and dreams. Thanks again!

• redroze
    15 years ago

I came back again for a second (breathtaking) glance. What colour are you staining those gorgeous wide-plank (walnut?) floors? Are you putting crown above your upper cabinets, or will that conflict with the coffered ceiling?

• nomorebluekitchen
    15 years ago

Gorgeous!!! I can't wait to see this one come together.

Anita

• alliern
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again everyone! It means so much to me that you all like the way it's turning our so far!

Redroze: Yes, the floors are walnut 6" wide planks from Owens PlankFloor. They are an engineered product that has a straight edge (no bevel) and a very think top layer of wood. The overall product is 5/8" thick. They come unfinished and just need a light sanding and I have chosen not to stain them but, to just do a water-based satin finish. I didn't want them too dark (although I love dark stains)because of the upkeep with the dust. I have some dark stained pieces of furniture and as soon as I dust them it seems the dust is back again!

The cabinets will have a 3 1/2" crown moulding added and the top upper wall cabinets will have glass doors. I have seen some kitchens that have the crown and coffered ceiling and it looks fine to me. The ceiling is 10ft so there will still be some space between the two.

I promise to keep all of you updated as things progress although I am reliant upon my contractor to send me photos. I live in NY and the house is being built in Colorado!

• Bethpen
    15 years ago

Wow, what a great job you did putting this all together! Even more impressive that you've done it long distance. Please keep sharing photos, it is just wonderful.

• chaimama
    15 years ago

love the clean lines of the kitchen- can't wait to see the marble island- I have been debating this for months now. I love your windows- trying to decide now. Do you have any other large windows throughout the house that have the same grid pattern at the top? If so could you post a picture?

• alliern
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Chaimama,

Here are a few pictures of the windows in our house. We went with Sierra Pacific. The windows in the kitchen are actually casements with transoms. In the rooms that don't have transoms, I opted to keep the same look as if they did have transoms for consistency. On the smaller windows, I chose to do a cross pattern (4 square). Hope this helps!

• marybeth1
    15 years ago

OMG I soooo have kitchen envy. You have done such a beautiful job so far pulling it together, can't wait to see more! Not only are you building a dream kitchen but you are building it in my favorite state in the US. We ski there every year hope to retire there someday. Until then I will just dream of your kitchen LOL.

• morton5
    15 years ago

Wow, that is really beautiful. It must be hard to manage the process when you live across the country from the build, but it is all coming together wonderfully! Congratulations.

• katmandu_2008
    15 years ago

Wow, it is beautiful! The whole house is beautiful!! I echo the love of your coffered ceiling, and love the windows too. How perfect! I am excited for you to move in. I, too, can't imagine building and picking everything from so far away!

• chaimama
    15 years ago

Thanks for the window posting. I knew I wanted that grid pattern but now I know I love it with the transoms. Can you tell me how tall your ceilings are?

• holligator
    15 years ago

Beautiful kitchen--beautiful home, for that matter! I can't wait to see the finished product.

I wholeheartedly agree with you about custom cabinets being the way to go. We paid less than half the price that we were quoted from a manufacturer. Plus, the cabinets we got were much nicer and everything was exactly like we wanted. We didn't have to settle for anything we didn't want just because it wasn't "standard."

• alliern
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Chiamama...the kitchen/dining room ceiling is 10ft. The windows in the dining room area are each 3' x 5' with a 1 1/2' transom on top plus the header trim which is 6".

One thing I think I should add is that I received detailed quotes from 3 custom cabinet makers in Colorado. Two of the three quotes came back pretty pricey, more consistent with the manufactured lines that I had gotten quotes from.

The third was from a guy that had an ad in the local town newspaper. He had decided to make a move from California to Colorado and was trying to build up a clientelle in Colorado. I think that I got very lucky in finding him and that is one of the reasons his price was so good. At first I was hesitant because I have heard the horror stories on here about some cabinet guys running off with people's money and never being heard from again. But, my husband and I decided to take a chance and use him.

He provided an insurance policy that covered him in the event of loss, damage or personal injury. I also had him add into the contract that in the event of his own personal injury or death and he was unable to fulfill my cabinet order that I would get a refund of the deposit that I left with him. (DH is an attorney :))

All in all, he has been a pleasure to work with and calls me a few times a week with detailed updates. He's delivered everything on time and perfect.

What to know how much I paid for the entire kitchen?? $18,000!

• PRO
    mabsy
    8 years ago

Alliern - This is an old thread, so I hope you are still active and can tell me who your custom cabinet builder was in the Denver area and whether you ended up being happy with your cabinets. If you'd rather respond in a private message, just let me know. Thank you!