Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rmkitchen

alliern -- your kitchen?

rmkitchen
15 years ago

I have been thinking and thinking of you. Today I spoke with Linda from MS Specialty (countertop fabricator) and she told me that you're all systems go but that Capco had screwed up your slab! When she said that my stomach sank -- I felt so bad, alliern; I'd really hoped their messing up my slabs was a one-off but I guess it wasn't .... Linda said she'll now have to warn marble customers from Capco. My fingers are crossed it's all been resolved. ???

A few weeks ago I drove my sons out to the Western Slope (border of CO and UT) for a camping dinosaur dig (are your sons already past that age?) and as we drove along the 70 I saw the turn-off for Evergreen. alliern, I cannot believe how close you are! I'd never been that way so didn't realize how close Evergreen is. And it's beautiful. You are so lucky to get to build there.

I haven't "seen" you around here lately and I think of you so often. My v. best wishes for your house project and your move out here!

Please take care,

Brooke

Comment (1)

• alliern
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Brooke,
    I must've missed your post. I'm sorry! Things have been crazy busy here in New York. My two older boys went back to school the first week of September and soccer season started at the same time. I've been donating and throwing away so much stuff that I've collected over the past 11 years in this house. On top of that, I've had to begin packing for our move out west and still keep track of everything that is going on with our new house from 2000 miles away! Argh!
    Anyway, Linda has been fantastic to work with and I am 100% confident that my counters will turn out amazing! I wound up going to Dorado Soapstone, Capco and Arizona Tile to get all of the slabs that I need for the house.
    I went to Capco with my best friend in a trip out to the house in August. The saleswoman started off with a bad attitude...like I was bothering her or something when I asked to see the slab that was on hold for me. She eventually came around when I kept being exceptionally sweet to her. But man! You'd think in this economy, when you have a customer with cash in hand to purchase some slabs you'd at least be pleasant!

I purchased two slabs from Capco. Statuario for my island top and Venetino Extra for my master bath vanity and shower bench top, my master FP surround and powder room vanity. I looked over both slabs very carefully and took many pictures of both. I ran my hands over the surface of every inch of both slabs. The Venetino had one pinhole size divot on the surface and the saleswoman assured me that it could be filled and I wouldn'tknow it was there.

The next day I visited MS Specialty to show Linda where I wanted the slab for the island to be cut and she mentioned that the Venetino had quite a number of holes/cracks in it. I freaked and she showed me the slab which was the same one that I saw and purchased from Capco. The defects holes/cracks were all on the back side of the slab but they were very deep and penetrated the front side to the point where you could see light coming thru the slab!

I have purchased granite slabs here in NY and never looked at the back of the slab and didn't think to at Capco either! So, I debated whether to return the slab and pay a restocking fee or just keep the slab and hope everything turns out OK. Linda thought, since I was chopping up the slab for so many applications, that it would "probably" work.

Well, I got back to NY and it kept infuriating me that the slab was less than perfect and I expressed my hesitation to Linda over the phone. She went to bat for me with Capco and they replaced the slab with one from the same lot #. I didn't have to pay anything additional which was nice!

I also purchased Camargo Limestone slabs from Arizona for some other baths and kitchenette area. Arizona Tile was also a great place for great customer service.

Sorry to ramble on and on! I am so excited to be moving to Colorado and hope to be there by the end of this month.

My boys love dinosaurs and aren't too old to dig for bones. They are 7.5, almost 6 and 2.5 years and love to do anything adventurous and outdoors.

Your kitchen is gorgeous and I can only hope mine turns out like yours! Thanks for thinking of me! Maybe we can meet when I get out there.

Allison