Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aliris19

Quick: too grecian?

aliris19
12 years ago

Hi -- Our SoCal tile guy suggested taking some ogee that I had for lining a fossil in the backsplash to line the edges of where our bs died. I was skeptical, wanting a cleaner edge (I also wanted a lower edge, capitulated and now I'm a teensy bit sorry but just getting over it -- this would be an easier task if dh didn't waltz in and say 'I thought we were doing a lower edge' ... he was the one who had been the final straw tipping me with the others to go higher. anyway, I digress...)

Here's the problem; pictures worth a thousand words:

A.

compared with:

B.

So that's the first issue: where to end the tile and he did it differently in two different places; that's clearly not good, it should be consistent. But...

Then there's the issue of the goopiness of the molding-edging. Thinking was, we have it and it's a good edging and I didn't have an edging, so let's use it. So OK, but ... I had thought we'd over-blown the goopiness around the windows and I kept the kitchen with clean edges, minimal crown, straight edges everywhere else. I'd thought for it to just be a straight die of the tile:

C.

So that's what I'm thinking now ... I think I prefer no edging whatsoever, even though it's not the done thing. Does anyone here agree? I'm hesitant even to ask because aesthetics is my prerogative afterall, not really an online community's. OTOH, you-all do have design sense and reasons behind it, so: I'm asking. Please, do you agree it's OK to nix the edging altogether [pic C]? And if not, where would you place the start of the edging, (i) at the bottom of the edge of the cabinet [pic B] or (ii) at the bottom of the edge of the tile line which is a little higher up from the cabinet's bottom edge [pic A]

BTW, pics B & C do in fact have the tile end at the cabinet's bottom edge, it's just an artifact of my height and the camera that changes this.

Here's an overview for perspective:

Comments (20)

• palimpsest
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I like straight across from the bottom of the cabinet edge no trim, if I understand you correctly.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

That honkin' ogee doesn't work for me in your space. I wouldn't walk into your room and choke if I saw it up, but since you're asking me... :-)

• aliris19
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yup, palimpsest - that's what I was asking; straight across. Sorry to be as rococo in words as the ogee is in calcified critters.

Breezy - thanks. ;) I am asking. I would not want you choking if (when? :) ) you walk in here....

• chitown_remodel
    12 years ago

I don't really like the ogee either but if you want a finished look at the end of your tile (which is really awesome) I would put a travertine pencil.

That tile and pattern look great!

• lisa0527
    12 years ago

Totally OT...but do I see shelves for cookbooks at the end of your upper cabinet run? How did you do that and preserve the look of a full door on the front? If you have a pic with more detail I'd really appreciate it. My contractor thinks I'm crazy when I suggest something similar.

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

I would also just leave off the cap tile piece in that area even if you do have it up everywhere else, it won't be a bit noticeable once the kitchen is done. There will be so many other eye catching beautiful things to look at no one will ever notice. In addition I'd say you pretty much have to eliminate it or else the door will get dinged when opened. All the best in your decision!

• sjmitch
    12 years ago

I like the staight edge of the tile. As breezygirl states "I wouldn't walk into your room and choke..." but IMHO it just looks cleaner without the ogee.

• aliris19
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, chitown. I'll start just with a smear of grout I think; it's a slightly lighter brown-ish red color similar to the cabinets and the red of the fossil. If that doesn't work we'll move to a pencil maybe, but I haven't got any at the moment, so it's not immediately possible anyway. Finished and done-done isn't really my thing anyway. I feel constantly nudged toward it and it's just not where I'm most comfortable anyway ... But life's long.

• aliris19
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK, thanks everyone ... cross-posted.

Lisa -- I posted about that L-shaped cabinet here I think.

Actually, you're seeing the inside of that bookshelf cabinet this way; the bite out of the interior is the space for the bookshelves on the other side. It also has slightly funky repercussions underneath. I can write more about it later but I'm trying to find some fossil right now! ;) If this doesn't answer your question, please write back either on or offline. Thx.

• plllog
    12 years ago

I always like a finished edge, but I agree that the height isn't good the way the molding was applied, especially for so short a space. I would have cut the round part off the molding and used that, with the top of it at the bottom of the cabinet.

It does look like the point was to even out the relative heights, where they're so off from one side to the other, so you do need some kind of illusion going on there somewhere.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Since that tile is stone, a proper tile store should be able to grind a bullnose edge on it for you with little trouble or cost.

• detroit_burb
    12 years ago

I really like what you've done overall. Can you tell me about the inset over the stove?

As for opinion, I think the height of the trim that is pictured in the fourth picture looks the most "right" to me. the tile seems to end with the bottom of the cabinet and the trim fits on top. I think the trim matches nicely with the trim around your range focal piece, to me the trim is not over the top, and does look like it fits in with what you have, though if you have the option, I like plllog's idea of "ripping" the tile down and just using the bead of it.

• aliris19
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hiya -- I thought about cutting off the rounded part, but really did think the straight end would look good with the straight angles/sharp edges of the cabinets.

It's done now, so, well ...

I think it's something we could fix later if we wanted to but I'm fairly certain we won't. I'm a little more disappointed with the "deep" tiling we did all the way up and underneath the cabinets on either side of the passthrough. I went around that decision three thousand times and was persuaded by others to go the whole way -- but it looks too submerged, underwater and heavy, to me now. I'll get over it. Just another one of those things. I think you need a further-away shot to see what I mean about that though.

Here:

Tell me that it's OK....

I never did find the bevy of little fossil-tiles I bought to keep the big one company! I'm destined to have fossils hide out in my closet for 20 years at a stretch. The tile guy was very sad about it too; said he'd come back and set them in when they turn up. He's a nice guy.

See all that debris near the sink? First time cleaning the hood and guess what: there's a plastic wrap that ships with the baffles and it never got removed. Fun times getting it off now! geeesh.

mjsee -- I'm really excited you're planning on using that tile company! I communicated some with the owner about my piece and really liked him. If I could I would clean out his shop! I'd love for them to open a store here -- I sympathize with the situation of finding people with the means to afford natural phenomenon like that but also the desire to. Sometimes these conditions don't track one another too closely. I know I can't help him out, that's the sad truth.

Please please please please post photos of what you buy and how you use it. And if I should happen to miss your post, I'd love it if you'd consider sending it privately, offlist just so that I could really get to see it. Sometimes posts just fly by so quickly on GW, sinking to oblivion. Thx.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I'll tell you. It's OK!! From the view you show of the tile around the pass-through, I think the height looks good. If you had varied the tile heights, I think it would have been too much with all the other horizontals there. As it is now, it looks natural to end at the bottoms of the cabs and ledge.

Breathe in the scent of getting close to a finished kitchen. You've got a lot going on with your house. Enjoy crossing this task off your list. Ya done good!

• aliris19
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks breezy .... I appreciate the kind words.

• adel97
    12 years ago

I'm a straight, clean edge kind of girl and I think it looks great! Ogees kinda scare me.

Thanks for the sneak peeks of your kitchen. I can't wait for the full reveal, it will be glorious! Is that Rainforest Green marble? It is absolutely gorgeous. When we were looking at marble, we saw a square remnant of Rainforest Green that we seriously considered buying just to hang on the wall.

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    12 years ago

I like the straight edges and the passthough but mostly I wanted to congratulate you for being organized and energized enough to decorate for Halloween in the middle of a kitchen reno!

cheers

• aliris19
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Sharon - ogee scares me too! The only reason it ever got in the house is because the height difference hid an enormous step-up of the fossil from the tiles. The fossil is backed on quite heavy masonite board which is very thick and the fossil slab is a honker too.

And speaking of which - the edge on my island countertop is ogee and it's my biggest regret of the kitchen.

So .. I seem to get into trouble doing what people I feel are "more experienced" suggest sometimes, especially in the goop department. I just sort of thought I should like an ogee edge and take advantage of it on the counter since it wasn't too much more expensive in this case. But functionally I hate it and visually I'm no fan either. And while people claim it's easy to clean, I'm even finding that more irksome than I'd wish. It's not impossible but it sure isn't easy. Thus -- and I hadn't really even thought of this linked to the wall ogee - I should have realized: I.Don't.Like.Ogee.

But I think I understand now.

All the goop around the windows was even chosen by dh. It's done and I've learned to live with it, even like it. But I did feel that our 'goop-budget' was blown, so that should have been another maxim I could have fallen back on. I just was so reluctant in the face of our tiler's excitement about it. He really liked it. I think there really are a couple flavors out there about tile-sensibility and while I know where my loyalties lie, I'm not good at asserting them sometimes.

I'm good at asserting it, though, when another happens to state it! I was very strict when I got to say "dh doesn't like it". Isn't that just ridiculous? I'm the first one into battle on another's behalf. sigh.

Who knew kitchen creation could be such - ahem - cheap therapy?

Sharon - yes, Rainforest Green. You can get tiles of it all over the place as well, if you're looking for another way of sneaking it in. And there are some amazing tumbled mosaics of it -- check out MSI for those though I'm sure the mosaics are widely available. MSI has a lot of the Indian stone and this is from Rajasthan. Note that the rainforest slabs all vary in color quite a bit as well as wildness and vein-y-ness. So the color ranges from dark brown and dark green to a very light almost puce (!) green and brown. It's termed variously but what you actually get will be very different from slab to slab, tile to tile.

And if you're fabricating it, note that all that vein-iness translates to very heterogeneous stone composition. It's funny because it's so ubiquitous and I never heard anyone say 'oh, ranforest, I'm gonna have to CYA because that's so incredibly difficult to work with' -- we just encountered problems after it was cut and then there were all sorts of excuses harking back to the stone. Which are undoubtedly true, but should have been, IMO, discussed first. So. Just because your cutter either doesn't know or isn't forthcoming about the challenge faced, doesn't mean you won't still be living with its consequences. Buyer beware!

The tiles will neatly sidestep this headache if you wish, BTW. Let someone else deal with the difficulty of the vein. Just a thought depending on what you plan to do. say a table or something. FWIW I would never personally tile a kitchen countertop (btdt and hated it) but some seem to be OK with it and if you were ever going to use tiles, this might be a justifiable situation for it. IMHO. YMMV of course!

• aliris19
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I love Spook-A-Dook!!! We've had him for so many years. And he's stored in the attic in a box that's colored orange and black, an expensive conceit that I just love: thank you Rubbermaid. I can find him. He was a complete spur-of-the-moment buy (what's that word? eludes me...) at a store now gone that sold teeny weeny cute little miniature scenes for use with model trains. I loved that place! Spontaneous: it was a spontaneous purchase, and a long-term love. It changes color on the tips of its hair and around the mouth.

So thanks for the kudos but note: it's been so many years since we've had a functional, "real" house and household -- I cannot tell you how guilty I feel silly-holiday-wise. This is pretty pathetic as decorations go. sigh. My kids didn't even remember their dining room. Honestly. What was I thinking? cf kitchenkrazed's thread.

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

You counters and backsplash are crazy beautiful!!