Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wintertime_gw

Where is your pullout garbage?

wintertime
14 years ago

Where did you place your garbage pullout if you have one? I am contemplating whether to put it beside the range under the run of counter where I expect to do my main prep or immediately behind that beside the sink (galley kitchen so 2 facing runs of cabinets).

I always pictured it beside the range in the prep area, but now am thinking of scooping stuff out of the sink into the garbage....

I would appreciate knowing where people have theirs and if they love it!

thanks

Comments (28)

• lovemyfam
    14 years ago

I am placing mine near the sink, which is 5 ft away from stove. I don't know yet if I love it, because my kitchen is not installed yet.

• marcy96
    14 years ago

It will be to the left of my sink, diagonally across the corner from the range. It's where I prep so it will be convenient for that, but I'm afraid it will get annoying if I'm standing in front of it and other people want to get to the garbage. But I had no other place to put it, so I'll have to deal with it.

• indecisive101
    14 years ago

I am having mine put in my island. I plan to do prep work on the island so I figure that is the best place, I guess I will see when the kitchen is finally installed.

• abananie
    14 years ago

I am having one put just to the left of the sink with the DW to the right of the sink. (I am right handed). I am also putting one in the island where I will probably do most of the prep work.

• kateskouros
    14 years ago

my kitchen will be on the large side, with different zones. i'll have a pull out directly behind the main sink as well as under prep sink (across from range) ...and yet another at the breakfast bar (at counter between fridge and freezer, directly near to microwave and toaster). sometimes one is not enough!

• tabteacher
    14 years ago

I wanted one under the sink, but there wasn't enough room. No room on either side of the sink. The only place we could find was in the small island directly behind the sink. It was the main reason we put the island in & I'm still not sure I want it be there. I'm thinking of drips when I turn around?

• ccoombs1
    14 years ago

Mine main food prep is in a 45 degree corner. the cooktop is to the left, the food prep sink is to the right. The pull-out trash can is right next to the sink. It's VERY convenient to have my trash can right in my food prep area!

• natenvalsmom
    14 years ago

Mine is also in a 45 degree corner, with the range to the left and the sink to the right. I could use this area for food prep, but I'm finding that I am using my island for prep. It has been great for the 2 weeks that I've been cooking again!

Also, we have the kind with 2 bins, and we really love it. Even though the bins are smaller, and the trash fills up sooner, I love it because then my DH must take it out more often (basically, his only job in the kitchen, besides feeding the dog and turtle). HE loves that the recycling is right there, but out of sight. Our old system, which is embarrassing, but true, was that we would have a bag on top of the counter for bottles and plastics, and then take it out when it was full. Yuk!

• arleneb
    14 years ago

DW is left of the sink; trash pullout is to the right of the sink. To the right of that is the main prep area and 45 degrees around, the stove. I'm finding it very handy both to the sink and the prep area.

• jejvtr
    14 years ago

Winter

Got the great advice here - To left of sink -
    Set up is garbage pull out, sink, DW - makes good design sense

good luck

• three_daisies
    14 years ago

I have my new trash pullout in the island across from the sink - oh do I ever love it. I didn't really have choice of where it was going to go (we didn't replace cabinets but had a new island built) but it is a such a convenient place for the trash. Sorry no picture; I haven't taken pictures of the new kitchen yet.

My aisle b/w the sink and the island is narrower than most, but it's so easy to be working at the sink, pull out the trash and simply turn around to dispose of something. Or be working at the island and scrape whatever trash on the counter directly into the trash.

• sjblick
    14 years ago

Mine is to the right of the sink, DW on the left. Now if I could only remember myself... I keep opening the cabinet under the sink - where I used to keep the garbage :)

• southernstitcher
    14 years ago

My DW is to the left of the sink, and GPO will be to the right. I probably should have switched them. I had a DW on the right in my old house and didn't mind. Being to the left of sink, others could access the GPO easier.
    But, I wanting my appliance pullout base on the left since that counter is going to be the main prep area won out. Oh well. I'll be doing some prep to the right.

• eks6426
    14 years ago

morton5--How did you get your pull outs under the sink? What does it take to do this? What size trash cans fit? What did you use for the pull out?

This would solve a big problem in my kitchen if we did it this way.

• eks6426
    14 years ago

morton 5--addition to above comment? Will it work if the sink has a garbage disposal? I'd like to put the trash pull out under my main sink so the garbage disposal would be on one side.

• morton5
    14 years ago

This thread has the info you need, I think

Here is a link that might be useful: Pullouts under sink

• Buehl
    14 years ago

My setup is Trash Pullout + Sink + DW in the Cleanup Zone. My Prep Zone & Cooking Zone are across a 6'6" aisle on the the other wall and neither have a trash pullout.

Guess what my biggest regret in my kitchen is? The location of my trash pullout.

Yes, it sounds like a great design to have the trash on one side of the sink & the DW on the other...but that's true only if your Prep Zone is on the trash side and your Cleanup Zone is on the DW side...(with plenty of counterspace in both places).

However, in a situation like mine...it's actually a lousy setup if you have only one trash pullout. What I have found is that I use the trash pullout far more often and for longer periods of time when I'm prepping and cooking. Cleanup is for a much shorter length of time and only happens once or twice a day...prepping & cooking seem to go on all day when we're home...

Ideally, I would have a trash & recycle pullout (2 bins) in the Prep Zone (near the Cooking Zone) and a trash pullout (single bin) in the Cleanup Zone. But, if I could only find space for one, I would definitely put it in the Prep & Cooking Zone. (I've even looked at my kitchen and saw how I could have re-worked the cabinetry to make it all fit...there would be some loss of symmetry, but I'd rather have function!)

• ccoombs1
    14 years ago

I agree with buehl. I have a much greater need for my trash can in my food prep and cooking area than in my clean-up area. Having my trash pull-out there has been simply wonderful! I do not for one second miss having a trash can in my clean-up area! For food scraps, I generally scrap them all off onto one plate and then carry that one plate to the trash (a short distance away). If you have a disposal, even that wouldn't be an issue. I have never had a trash can by my sink though. It's always been a free-standing garbage can in the kitchen somewhere, which i have always hated.

• wintertime
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the feedback. My instinct was to put it in the prep area, which is beside the range. Right now there is a loose bin under the sink and when cooking it always gets pulled out and moved into the middle of the aisle where we trip over it....

I think I should do a pullout garbage in that area and a pullout recycling under the sink, to keep the recycling out of sight finally! The distance between counters is very narrow so nothing is that far away from each other anyhow.

Thanks!!

• rjr220
    14 years ago

I was planning on the pull-out b/t my prep and cooking area. HOWEVER, if I go with the 45' Kohler Stages sink, I don't know if I'll have enough space in that area. The area that I would have available for the pullout is farther away from the sink and cook zone. So, my idea is to have a rolling trolley island that will fit under that not-so handy counter -- it would have it's own countertop (?butcher block), will be enclosed, and that's where the pull-out garbage will go. I could pull it out if I needed an island for prepping or for a landing when I'm doing a bunch of baking, and/or pull it where I need to for garbage. If I don't need it, it tucks back under the counter. I'm thinking about making that particular base counter 30' deep, and putting the micro above it. I know that Gene the Cabinet maker will give me a funny look when I describe this to him -- anybody ever do this? Are there flaws in the plan that I don't see? It's basically what I do now, pull the open garbage over to where ever I need it. Here's a picture of what gave me the idea -- I think it could be a Kraftmaid?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• westsider40
    14 years ago

bump

• tracey_b
    14 years ago

In my last house, I had the pull out trash drawer (2, 13-gal bins) to the right of my sink. I had the DW on the other side. I'm right-handed so this placement was perfect. I do a lot of prep at the sink area, so it was easy to open the trash drawer with my toe and scrape things in the trash. We're building again, and I'll do the same setup.

Off the OP topic, but mentioned here..... some right-handers like the DW on the right, but I prefer it on the left. I can keep the scraper in my right hand and use my left to hold the plate being scraped and then put into the DW without turning or switching hands. I thought maybe I'd just gotten used to doing it that way at the old house, but in our apartment, the setup is the opposite, and after 6 months, I haven't "adjusted". I'm glad I had the opportunity to "experiment" before building again. Such a little thing, but when it's something you do everyday, it's worth considering.

• tntwalter
    14 years ago

PERFECT for scraping plates before going in dishwasher. And the island is where I prep so I can turn around and dump into the trash.

We also did 2 bins. The back one for recycle. I LOVE that. I used to tie a plastic bag to the pantry door [classy I know].

Trish

• cookingrvc
    14 years ago

I have a corner sink. The BIGGEST mistake we made was having the garbage cabinet directly to the left of the sink. If I was at the sink and someone had to throwsomethingout, Id have to shimmy to the right.

We replaced our Corian with granite this week andI had the contractor move the garbage over one cabinet. What a difference!!! So the moral of the story is, don't put the garbage cabinet next to a corner sink...move it over one cabinet.

Im lucky, the new position places it direct;y to theright of the cooktop!

Sue

• judydel
    14 years ago

Ours is in the island across from the DW. Both the DW and garbage/compost cans be pulled out at the same time. This makes it very convenient when working at the sink . . . DW, compost, garbage can all within reach.

• karen_belle
    14 years ago

Judydel, do you have a composting bin in your trash pull-out? Does it have a lid and charcoal filter? Are you happy with it? Sounds very cool!

In our old kitchen the trash was in the pantry, several steps away from the sink and prep areas. Of course, the dogs were always on hand ready for prep scraps. They are such good helpers in the kitchen! ;-)

• judydel
    14 years ago

I use the 10 liter stainless steel bin in the front of the pull out for composting. The bin in the back is 20 liter and I use that one for garbage. Inside the cabinet there is a "cover" that the bins push back into. Here's a better photo.

There is no charcoal. I've had the charcoal filters inside the cover of other countertop compost containers in the past and IMO they just get yucky and in the way. As another poster recently stated, "if you can smell the compost then it should have been emptied yesterday".