Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Upper cabs on funky wall - WWYD?

Posted by BlackChamois (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 23:58

Hi Friends,

Looking for some suggestions.

I am posting this floor plan for the purpose of illustrating the dimensions of my kitchen, and in particular, my funky angled wall in the upper left corner. Please IGNORE all the cabinet info - this is an old sketch!

My question is ... what you would you do with the upper cabinets in this area? I am not a fan of angled corner cabinets so I'm trying to avoid that if at all possible.

Also, I would like glass cabs to the left/right of the window.

Any suggestions for upper cabinet layout?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Upper cabs on funky wall - WWYD?

I might use open shelves on the funky wall and left/right of sink and then regular uppers on the straight walls wherever.

o

+1 deedles

o

Add another pantry on the left wall where you have the 24" drawer base and do away with all the cabinets on the window and range wall. Just have a chimney hood, and maybe a couple of open shelves with a minimal amount of "stuff" on them like deedles suggested.

o

Thanks all!

Holly - I can't put another pantry where you are suggesting. The base cabs that are reflected as BD24 and Trash24 are actually where the base for my peninsula is. (Again, the floor plan is an old one and a little misleading - my apologies!) Where you see the number 97 1/2 for the left wall measurement is really where the wall ends. The additional 'L' shaped portion of wall is where I had a raised bar. I did away with that and did a counter height peninsula.

Deedles/Lopay - I like the look of open shelves, but I don't know that it's practical in my space. I have such a small kitchen and need some "hidden" storage. I don't think I could give that much of it up to open shelving.

Ugh! Darn wall! I may have to do the angled cabs after all. I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world! :)

o

If you really don't want diagonal cabs but about something like this post. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg041954523508.html
or this one http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg08111908955.html

o

I would try a layout with squared off upper corners, and see if you could just bury the diagonal wall behind the upper cabinets.

o

I agree... eliminate both angled corner cabs, and replace with square corners... then the "funky wall" is hidden behind closed doors

o

eandhl - Thanks for that suggestion. I'll see if those might work. I know it would on the right, but not sure what that would do to the shelves that would be in the left cab.

palimpsest/ctycdm - I'm not sure that I understand what you mean by squared corners :( In my mind, when you square off the corner, it creates an angle (like how that left corner cab has the corner 'cut off'). Can you explain or is there a picture? Sorry! I'm just not getting it! :(

Thanks! I do appreciate all the suggestions! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here