Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stacilynn_gw

'easy reach' upper corner cabinet

stacilynn
12 years ago

I want the cabinet that is called an easy reach. It seems like the most functional of all upper corners. I really want to avoid the blind cabinet and the one with a diagonal front seems like it would be hard to reach into the back.How many of you have heard of this or have one? Do you like it? Would it hold dishes or something else?

Comments (14)

• chiefy
    12 years ago

I bumped a recent thread for you so you can see some pics.
    I'm still figuring out layout for my kitchen, but I'll be going with some type of easy-reach configuration.

• blubird
    12 years ago

Stacilyn,

As you'll see in the thread chiefly76 bumped regarding corner cabs, buehl posted pix of my corner "easy reach" cabs. You certainly could put dishes in there. Why would you think you couldn't?

Helene

• blubird
    12 years ago

P.S. Here's the direct link to the other discussion. Discussions move so fast, they get pushed down quickly despite being bumped.

Helene

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to recent corner cab discussion

• stacilynn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I did see the post and the picture of blubirds corner cabinet. Thats what i want just would like more info on them. would like to know if anyone else has them. they don't seem to be very popular and I wonder why?

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

Mine is on order and should be here next week. Here are some links:

On having 2 doors instead of a hinged door

This one's about easy reach vs. corner cab

• User
    12 years ago

Here's my corner option:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: an old thread

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

We chose a hinged-door easy-reach. Won't be here for some time, though!

• stacilynn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Why is it that the easy reach cabinets are not used more often? They seem so much more practical than the blind or diagonal corner ones. I assume from the pictures the depth is the same as straight wall cabinets?

• jakkom
    12 years ago

I think most people aren't familiar with them, so are reluctant to spring for the extra money it costs over a blind-corner. They go straight the Lazy Susan type as it's more familiar even though more costly.

I have had an EZ reach upper corner cab since 1989, in a now-discontinued Kraftmaid frameless line. Unlike athomeinva's, it has a hinged folding door, but is otherwise identical in depth.

They are WONDERFUL. I would never again have a blind-corner upper cab. You could certainly put dishes in it. I use mine for my plastic containers.

• stacilynn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What is the cost difference between the EZ, blind and lazy susan upper? Is there a significant jump in price?

• jrueter
    12 years ago

I have the easy reach hinged door cabinet and love it. It has been in for 1 1/2 years and I still think it was one of the most functional things we added to the kitchen (previously blind corner upper). I keep a lot of bulky items in there - the corner will actually accommodate some larger bowls that are too big for the standard uppers - and access is always easy.

I will say that recently I was in a hurry and didn't get the hinged door folded enough before closing and the door knocked into the adjacent cabinet. There is now a small nick on the cabinet where the back of the door handle hardware hit the adjacent cabinet. Countersinking the door handle hardware or adding a small felt or rubber pad (my solution) would alleviate this, though.

• jakkom
    12 years ago

>>cost difference between the EZ, blind and lazy susan upper?>>

I bought my cabs a long time ago, so can only tell you that blind was standard/cheapest. Then came the EZ Reach, priced a bit higher; and the Lazy Susan, most expensive.

• debrak_2008
    12 years ago

I ordered an easy reach but it won't be here for 10 days.

When I said I didn't want the traditional angled cabinet in the corner, one KD wondered where was I going to put large serving platters. Well I don't have large serving platters. He said you can get so much more stuff in the angled type. Well thats the problem, too much stuff gets shoved in those cabinets. I have one now we call the black pit. My mom has a lazy susan in hers but still things fall off and get lost.

I can't wait from my easy reach, it was one thing I would not compromise on.

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

My Mom has two of these as base cabinets, one in each corner of a Ushaped kitchen. Both are L Susans.