Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chiefy

Help Me PIck a Layout

chiefy
12 years ago

I got feedback in the earlier thread linked below.

I *think* I've narrowed my layouts down to 2 main options. I have my own preferences, but wanted to get a sense from you all which one I should go with. (I wish there was a poll option!)

Here's the measurements so you can see the bottom corner is the entryways to family room, garage, and hallway.

Option 1 - Corner Sink

Option 2 - Window Sink

For both I'm really not sure where to put the trash. I'd rather not have a pull-out, but since I'm taking up all the floor space with cabinets - it's gotta go somewhere.

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous Layout Thread

Comments (19)

• function_first
    12 years ago

I live Option 2, I like the larger prep space to the right of the sink, plus the sink will be under a window which I think is nice when it works out.

Have you had a pullout trash before? If not, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, seems most people put that on their top list of things they're glad they put into the reno list.

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

Hands down option 1. You have a 36" sink as opposed to a 26" sink and 46" of prep space between the sink and range. Nuff' said!

• chiefy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@remodelfla - I think the actual sink sizes will be comparable in both layouts. In Option 1 since it's a 36" corner, I'm not quite sure how large the actual sink can get.

• Kay M
    12 years ago

I have a 36" corner sink base and managed to squeeze a 20" wide ss sink in it (which involved cutting the cabinet). Was worth it for me because I wanted the largest sink I could get in there and the sink base we replaced, which was also a corner and was particle board from 1988, had been cut and had held up just fine. Not sure how large you can go with a with a 26" standard sink base.

That said, I also prefer Option 1 for the following reasons:

1: I prefer the lazy susan in option 1 over the blind corner in option 2 (big fan of my super susan!);
    2: Additional prep space between sink and stove in option 1, as mentioned by remodelfla; and
    3: Range doesn't feel as crammed into the corner in option 1.

I'm sure you will get some more sage advise and improvements to your options, as I am no expert. But that's my $02.

Good luck to you.

• dilly_ny
    12 years ago

I vote for #2. I like to look out the window when I am prepping or cleaning up.

• njannabelle
    12 years ago

I'd go with option 1. Having all that nice prep space between stove and sink will be nice and you'll spend just as much time with a window in front of you chopping as you would at the sink. More if you get someone else to do the dishes :)

Having your dishwasher under the pennisula also looks to me that dishes coming back from the dining area would land just in the right spot for cleanup.

Trash between sink and DW would make perfect sense, but can't remember how wide those things are.

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

Whoops! My bad on the sink issue but I Still prefer option 1.

• chiefy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The trash pullouts are usually in an 18" cabinet. I know the cab can get squeezed down to 17" and still fit, but I don't know if there are smaller options out there.

• cluelessincolorado
    12 years ago

Chiefy76, we have a trash/recycling pullout (rev a shelf) in a 12 cabinet and so far it's working great. We were all ready used to taking out trash often. We're a family of four that cooks at home most meals. I'll try to get a photo of it, but here's a link to the unit. See 5349-1527DM-217, 27 quart each. Expensive, but great for our 9.5 x 10.5 kitchen. I really wanted to get away from under the sink. Hmmm, now that I think about it, our cabinets are custom and the OPENING is 12". Oh well, FWIW we like it.

Here is a link that might be useful: 12 inch trash/recycling

• cluelessincolorado
    12 years ago

Here's a photo. Lovely - you KNOW you wanted to see my trash this morning...

• chiefy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks clueless! I'm looking at custom and frameless, so there's definitely wiggle room. Looking at the rev-a-shelf site, I realized I can also just go with a single pull-out instead of the double trash. We're used to bringing down the recycling daily so that wouldn't be a big deal. Having to downsize the trash can would probably get old quick though.

• lisa_a
    12 years ago

Option 1. More room to prep between sink and range and less chance of overlap of clean-up and cooking zones.

Is the corner cabinet to the left of the range part of the peninsula (I missed your previous thread)? If so, then one way to deal with that corner is to lose the Susan or blind corner cab and go with a cab in the corner that opens towards whatever is on the other side of the peninsula. In option 1, this means you can have a 25" cab (likely need to allow a 2" spacer in the corner) next to your range and two banks of 21" cabs or some other configuration for the 46" span (allowing 2" spacer again) of cabs on the peninsula. Not sure if that helps your plan or not but thought I'd throw it out there.

• chiefy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks lisa_a. yes, to the left of the stove is the peninsula with the dining room on the other side. I was fixated on putting in the lazy susan in Option 1 since I lose it in the sink corner, but I'm not sure that's the most efficient use of space.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Option #1. And Lisa a has a great idea. Reconfigure that corner to the left of the range. Instead of having a lazy susan you could extend that 15" of drawers to approx.25" (depending on filler required because you don;t want the drawer sides hitting the handles on the peninsula drawers as you pull them out). Then on the peninsula side you will have about 46" of space to play with for figuring out the best size of drawers for you. Again you will need filler so the drawer sides, when pulled out, don't hit the handles of the drawers on the stove run of drawers. Does it make sense as to why a filler is required in the corner?
    Then on the other side of the peninsula in the DR that corner would open up into the DR and you could do open shelving or more drawers or a combination of them. Treat it as something that could dress up the DR.

• chiefy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks ~blfenton - Yes, the need for fillers makes sense. And actually in this case they wouldn't really be "fillers" since it's not wasted space - it's just making sure the DR facing cabinet is the right dimension.

Yikes - does this mean I have to figure out my handles before I even order my cabinets? Is there a "standard" dimension for how far they stick out?

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

Wait... since the left side of peninsula faces the DR what if you put the cab in to open up on that side. Less waste of space?? Figure 1" for projection I think.

• lisa_a
    12 years ago

chiefy76, the fillers blfenton and I are talking about are fillers in the kitchen proper, not on the DR side, for the reason blfenton stated. These would be just like the filler you show next to the BCC in option 2.

This is why both blfenton and I said that the drawers would be 25" not 27". 15" drawers + 12" from Susan = 27" - 2" filler = 25". I'm estimating filler size, btw.

• chiefy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all for the feedback! I'm heavily leaning to Option 1 - just have to convince DH he won't be too squeezed when he does the dishes.

• Marianne Thompson_Stratton
    12 years ago

Hi - I'm very new here and am certainly not a layout guru so take this with a grain of salt. But I currently have a corner sink and HATE it! Maybe you've had one and love it so you can ignore this. But if not, you may want to think about it. It's really difficult to clean in the back corner and I'm pretty tall! I also feel like the counter space next to the kitchen sink is kind of behind me in a way. I also have a dish drainer on my counter but there isn't much room for it because of the angle of the sink. Just a few things to think about.