Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lincolnduncan

Please post pictures of kitchens w/ 2 islands!! Is it weird to

lincolnduncan
15 years ago

have them run length wise (with a 4 ft space between) or better to have just one, really long island? I am trying to figure out a way to post floorplan to better explain our situation, but basically our family room and breakfast area are at the top of a fairly long kitchen (the breakfast area is right at the top and the family room is off to the right). I want a good deal of the island to open onto the family room, but it would have to be huge (in order for it to start in a place that made sense in the kitchen). I've found one picture of 2 islands running lengthwise, but can't decide if it's just a strange option. I figure you guys could help. TIA!

Comments (17)

• nomorebluekitchen
    15 years ago

I stayed at a beach house this summer that had two islands and it worked great. One was more situated for prep & cooking, and the other was more for snacking /buffet / entertaining /seating.

The prep one had a prep sink and one of the two dishwashers.

The other one had the ice maker and the microwave on the kitchen side and seating on the other side.

Looks wise it did seem a little strange at first but I quickly came to really like the way it worked.

Anita

• alku05
    15 years ago

Rhome's suggested thread will be a very good one for you. Whenever a discussion about 2 islands comes up, I like to refer the poster to one of my favourite kitchens- momto4kids'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Momto4kids' kitchen

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

I think I would like two islands. One for cooking prep and one for serving. Also, rather than seating facing to the kitchen, I'd prefer the seating inside facing out to familyroom, tv, windows etc. Also like the sink in an island looking out rather than on the wall with a window that hurts my back to clean trying to reach over the sink. Under counter sink in island fabulous for quick cleanup, instant hot water to sit for quick cup of tea, refill water for kids, etc. And what about round islands? Anyone have pictures of round options? I'm getting carried away but just had an image of a pod like kitchen, round stove tower with hood to keep frying mess contained, open round sink pod, micro, oven, refrig, pod, pantry pod, etc.

• lacombe
    15 years ago

Hi bodica, here's some pictures of a round kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: pictures of round kitchens

• rosalita
    15 years ago

My friend has 2 islands and her kitchen is phenomenal. The island nearest the countertop perimeter holds the gas cooktop and the other is for serving/entertaining (houses a wine cooler). She used different granites and textures on both and it's gorgeous.

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Thank You lacombe, I LOVE that, and it could be done in any style. Great idea for second island as a snack bar also. The round island makes a nice conversation pod for kid or adults. Really enjoyed seeing those pictures, Thanks again!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Wow! Just spent about an hour looking through the kitchen archives of Trendir, thanks to the link above for round islands. I'm not big into the contemporary feel for myself (although I can appreciate it for others and like looking at them). There are some very, very cool features included in these kitchens. Pricey, I'm sure, but looking at them was a fun way to distract myself from chores... ;-)

• Marcia B
    15 years ago

Our two islands are not length wise, but here's what they look like:

{{gwi:1397524}}

{{!gwi}}

I currently have, for the last 8 years, one very large (60X72) island and I hate it.

We have not moved into our new house yet, but I love the way the 2 islands look, and I think they will work out very well functionaly.

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

oh wow marcia...what a beautiful kitchen you have!
    First time I have seen it here, Looks like an awesome house.
    Look forward to more photos!
    vic

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Your kitchen is wonderful Marcia! I love how the range hood is all by itself...no cabinets around it...awesome! More pictures please!! (but on a different thread so we don't hijack LincolnDuncan's post)

LincolnDuncan...I think 2 separate islands would be better than one very long one. It would be quite a trek to go around it if you need something on the other side...I think it would get very old very quickly!

• goutgrec
    15 years ago

There's a gorgeous big white one and a yellow one as well on this site. Scroll down to the second one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Double Island Kitchen

• ladyjd
    15 years ago

Here's mine at the present time

Because the kitchen is fairly large,I wanted to have access to the perimeter cabinets, hence, the two islands. the granite was just installed and I am SOOOO eager to start cooking there, but there's still more to do--plumbing, some more electrical work, finishing the hardwood floors, but I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Looking at ladyjd's lovely kitchen, I can see that the 2 island concept is much the same as my kitchen, I just happen to have a table where she has the glass-front island. It works the same as far as getting from one side of the room to the other. At first I thought I'd have a really long island, but am glad to have the path through the middle.

• Christine Decker
    15 years ago

I LOVE having two Islands! I use one for prep and everyday kitchen stuff and the other we use for eating/dining/entertaining. I had only one in my old home and I don't know how I survived!

kitchen 2 Island pics for Garden web

• rosalita
    15 years ago

aweseome kitchen cdecker!

• Marcia B
    15 years ago

Thank you Vicnsb and Buehl for your comments. I have been mostly lurking, not having time to post, being owner builder for the last year.

I plan in the near future.. after our move to post many lessons learned..for now I only have one album with way too many pix from beginning to current. If your interested..probably better to skip to the last few pages...

Here is a link that might be useful: 2007/08 new home contstructon