Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tnkrer1

charging station in upper cabs - can you share pictures/design

Moz Tn
13 years ago

Hi,

We have allocated a 15" wide and 12" tall upper cabinet (glass door) for charging 3 phones, 3 toothbrushes on a regular basis and rechargeable batteries and camera occasionally.

I am looking at different threads around like

charging station in drawer, questions

phone charging center

Anyone Have A Kitchen Message Center

Cell phone charging station - design help

but none seem to give me good ideas. Our GC is going to implement the idea that I come up with. I am thinking of putting couple of outlets on the inside wall of the cabinet and then somehow getting it to 4-5 chargers

requirements are

1. individual shut off for the charging cables

2. some sort of cord retraction/hiding

3. cabinet will also hold keys/wallets

4. possibly phones will charge upright ..(will buy phone charging cradles separately)

5. One open plug for non regular charging/ other plug will support the regular charging cables

Can you please share your ideas/design/pictures ? Thanks

Comments (9)

• Moz Tn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Current simple plan I have is ..

have three sockets in the back of the cabinet. Use one socket to supply power to a charging station like this one at Sears

Second/third socket for occasional charging of other stuff
    Side walls of the cabinet will have key hanging hooks
    Wallet will rest between the charging station and the side wall.
    In a future (where I become an expert wood worker) I will build a better charging station ..

Not really elegant or good looking .. but that's all I have :( Do you have something that really works and you like?

• Moz Tn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bumping in hopes of some responses ...

• melissastar
    13 years ago

A word of caution when creating or buying a charging station like the Sears one: Make sure the space between the outlet plugs themselves is big enough to accomodate those boxy converters located at the plug end of many chargers.

Not too long ago I bought a nifty looking 3-charger station from Pottery Barn and have discovered to my chagrin that the power strip in the back where everything plugs in will hold no more than ONE charger at a time...Yes...one LESS than a standard electrical outlet. Nearly all the things I need to routinely charge (multiple cell phones, battery for camera, etc.) hog too much room.

• Moz Tn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Melissa ..

I think I have finalized my design, but looking for appropriate components that will fit my cabinet. I am looking for a charger like this. This is 19" long, I need something that will fit in my 15" wide cabinet, so I need 14" long. There are individual switches on the front and the sockets for those switches are on the back. So all my chargers are always connected, and I can shut those off easily individually to save on electricity bleed. The charger will sit on the floor of the cabinet, I will put another shelf on top of the charger. The wires will be hidden behind in some false panel ...
    Anyone seen a surge strip that has switches in the front, sockets in the back and is smaller than 14" in length? (I should look for computer rack accessories, I think they should have those)

• kathec
    13 years ago

Have you checked out Silites? I can't remember who posted about them, but they are outlets that sit flush with the surface. You could maybe do 4, set a few inches apart. Of course, I don't know what the requirements but I'm sure it's on the website.

• puppeez
    13 years ago

How about using 2 of the 4 channel pwr switches? 3x6x5

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

check computer accessories. my monitor sits on something similar. it's 12" W x 2" H and about 14" D. sockets on the back, 6 switches on the front - one is a master switch.

• Moz Tn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi ..

Thanks DesertSteph .. This under monitor power surge suppressor (Tripp Lite TMC-6 6-Outlet Under Monitor Surge Protector) might work .. (I don't like the buttons though) That's the current leading contender ..

Hi cathec, I looked for the silites, but couldn't find what I was looking for .. Can you find the post?

pupeez, I actually like the 4 pwr switch (American DJ PC4 Four Channel Power Strip With Lighted Toggle Switches). The problem is that the sockets are not in the back, but up top. If I can find a 4 pwr switch with sockets in the back and switches in the front, that would be ideal!

The kitchen remodel started last weekend, so all weekend was quite busy .. A month more before we get our new kitchen .. If the kitchen remodeling gods keep smiling ..

• mrsdowfire
    13 years ago

hey tnkrer....did you order that Tripp Lite TMC-6 6-Outlet Under Monitor Surge Protector? how did that work out? I saw the dimensions were 14.2 x 12.2 x 2 inches. I also have a 15" wall cabinet I would use this in but aren't wall cabinets 12" deep? Just curious if it worked out. Thanks for the idea.