Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gilmoregal

Anyone Have A Kitchen Message Center?

gilmoregal
14 years ago

I would love to see pictures of your kitchen message centers. I am getting ready to do a mini-remodel and want to create a space for a phone, message board, etc. I would love to have a built-in desk, but I'm not sure yet whether there will be room. So any pictures (with or without desk) would be welcome. Thanks!

Comments (10)

• plllog
    14 years ago

What I've learned on GW: Built-in desks tend to become junk receptacles, though stand-up ones fare better. Desks seem to work better in larger kitchens, and especially if they're out of the main traffic areas of the kitchens.

No pics just now (mine isn't quite finished), but my message center is mostly a cupboard to hide the phone in when I have company--not the best message center for a busy family. It's very shallow--just deep enough for a hanging desk phone--and has a phone jack and electrical outlet, a little shelf for pencils and notepaper, and a fold down surface to write on. The whole thing is high, so that most things are eye level and easy to find while one is busy, and the writing surface is high standing level. Just right for writing down a message, but not comfortable enough for things to grow roots. I'm not sure if I'll put magnet board or something on the inner doors since I'm trying to get papers out of the kitchen. Post-its might be the limit of what I'll allow to hang around.

One can use one of the shelves as a charging station, but I'm not encouraging it.

• latimore
    14 years ago

I was just searching for that earlier today. I know there was a recent thread but can't find it.

Ballard Designs has a lot of nice office organizers that don't look "office-y". The Pottery Barn Daily System is nice too but is expensive and won't fit in my space. (Plus, I think I could do something just as useful on my own.)

There are always good ideas for message boards/centers in Martha Stewart Living. I just did a quick search at www.marthastewart.com with keyword "message board" and found lots of good ideas.

Oh! I found it - here's the thread I was thinking of...
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0210024623230.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's a DIY one built within a cabinet...

• erikanh
    14 years ago

I wanted a completely hidden message center. I bought a magnetic dry erase board from Costco and hung it on the inside of my kitchen closet door. It even holds our little weather station.

{{!gwi}}

The closet also has a charging station.

I hunted everywhere for an attractive telephone cabinet that would fit in the little space next to the closet. I finally found an inexpensive jelly cabinet at jcpenneys.com. It has plenty of room inside for the phone/answering machine, notepads, pens, the mail basket and DH's gum!

The fact that it perfectly matches the clock that my mom brought me from Japan was a total accident!

• crzyktchnlady
    14 years ago

Judydel had a cute one with cubbies. I hope she won't mind my linking to the post where you can find a picture. Scroll down to her pics; it's the last one (reno underway).

Here is a link that might be useful: Judy's Message Center

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Here's a thread from last Autumn. My Message Center Niche is at the end of the thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: Let me see your: Message Center

• judydel
    14 years ago

Crzyktchnlady of course I don't mind. I'm glad you like it. The cubbies have been coming in handy for all the miscellaneous stuff that gets brought into the house (mail, keys, etc).

You and I shared ballet talk recently . . . I can't help but share with you this new news! My daughter has been invited to dance full time in the fall with the Bolshoi Academy in Moscow! We are blown away by this invitation. Certainly a lot to think about : )

• earthpal
    14 years ago

Buehl,

Thanks for posting that link to previous message center thread. A good friend of mine and I are both squirrel lovers and that would be a perfect gift for us! Off to surf the net for those after this email! LOL!

Back on track... some great ideas there! I have tentatively thought of doing a magnet board on the wall next to the phone but am wondering about putting this on a closet door instead. hmmm...

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Here's Julie7549's Message Center that she talks about above. I took it from her photo link on the Finished Kitchens Blog.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Oops, wrong thread! I meant to post it on the Message Center thread I linked above!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations