Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisaa007

Calling all Modern Aire hood owners

lisa_a
9 years ago

I'm *this close* to ordering a hood from Modern Aire. I only wish I could see one in person. I've asked Pat at MA if there's a MA owner in my area who would be willing to let me visit to see the hood (I'd bring chocolate, the good kind) so hopefully I'll get to see one.

In the meantime, I'm hoping those of you who own a Modern Aire hood will post photos of your hood, especially close up photos. Gooster was kind enough to share a pic on another thread of the underside of the MA hood Gooster and fam installed last year. (hope it's okay that I'm sharing it here, Gooster)

What I just now realized, looking at this pic again, is that I don't see any knobs or handles to make it easy to remove the baffles for cleaning. Would someone please show me how that's done? I'm only 5'4" so I want to make sure removing the baffles won't require contortions and ladders.

Thank you!!!

We expect to hear from our GC shortly about when we'll start our remodel. I'm torn between excitement and panic! I know you all know that feeling well.

Comments (20)

• iroll_gw
    9 years ago

The "ribs" are actually in three sections; the flat third and sixth ribs counting from the top (of the photo) are the edges of the frames, and they just butt up against each other.
    The three sections are simply supported front and back by the outer frame of the liner.
    To remove them, you grab one rounded rib, push up and angle the section down.
    One of the reasons I got a ModernAire was because they have rounded, not sharp, edges.

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, iroll (love your screen name) for posting this helpful info! So it doesn't matter where you grab the baffle to remove it? That would make it an easy job. It's also good to know that they are rounded, not sharp. I'm enough of a klutz, I don't need more ways to get hurt.

Which model do you own? I'm looking at the PS-24 but so far, the only one I've seen in a kitchen belongs to Gooster.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

lisa, just to throw this out there...in my quest for the perfect hood, I was also "this close" to ordering a Modern-Aire, until I found out about Prizer. I thought the fit and finish was a bit better on the Prizer, and liked the handles on the baffles for removal.
    Don't get me wrong, the M-A is a great hood, and you can't go wrong with it, but not as many people have heard of Prizer, so I thought you might be interested to compare yourself.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prizer Hoods

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi ctycdm, you've recommended Prizer to me before. I did look at them, can't remember why I had to rule them out. Could have been the rear venting issue. I know I had to knock both Prestige and Imperial out of the running for that reason. They either wouldn't allow rear venting or required at least a 24" tall chimney and I can't accommodate that requirement (20" sure, 24", nope).

Yep, just checked their website again: top discharge only.

Lovely hood, btw, don't recall if I told you that before or not.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

OK, that makes sense... sorry, I did not realize I had suggested it to you before. But as I said, you can't go wrong with the M-A all the best on your kitchen makeover!

• farmhousebound
    9 years ago

When I first saw a MA hood on this site I knew it was the only one I was willing to put over our 1936 Chambers stove. After 5 years I absolutely have no regrets and love it. Sorry, can't remember how to post pictures but you can find at http://s1011.photobucket.com/user/farmhousebound/media/100_0748.jpg.html

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, farmhousebound!

btw, posting pictures is easy! Just click on the tab that looks like a chain link and then copy the html code and paste it in a thread. Dead simple.

Do you have any close-up photos of your hood? I've seen the above photo of your beautiful hood and kitchen (it's on Modern Aire's website, did you know that?) but other than the pic gooster posted for me, I haven't seen any of the hoods up close.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Modern Aire's photo gallery, see pg 2

• plllog
    9 years ago

Lisa, what angles do you want?

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Whatever you're willing to provide, plllog. I've seen one shot of the underside (thank you, gooster) and lots of photos of hoods face-on, generally from a distance, but I haven't seen any photos up close and personal. So maybe a photo of a hood's corners would be good. If someone has a powder coated hood, then a close-up of where it meets the SS would be good. And a shot of what the hood looks like when you're standing at the counter and looking ahead at it would also be helpful.

I'll try Pat at MA again tomorrow but in the likely scenario that there isn't a MA hood owner near me willing to let me visit, the more virtual visiting of hoods I can do, the better. I really appreciate your help, plllog! Besides, I want another chance to see your beautiful hood!

Oh, I know another photo that would be helpful! One without the baffles in place. So if anyone is about to clean their baffles, please take a pic for me.

Thank you!!

• iroll_gw
    9 years ago

Ours is a PS-26, here's a long-ago photo (please pardon the old range).

Here is a link that might be useful:

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, wow, iroll, your hood is lovely (kitchen, too, love the light fixture)! Looks like you also went with induction. What cfm did you get? I've been waffling between 400 and 600 but I may just go for the 600 and deal with MUA (not prohibitively expensive to do in my area, thank goodness).

I've looked at PS-29, which is very similar, but then decided that it might look a bit odd since I won't have any cabs surrounding my hood. And then I remembered ericanh's lovely hood, which isn't surrounded by cabs either (see about 1/3 way down on thread linked below).

Nope, nope, nope, I've made up my mind about which hood, I need to stop confusing myself with other choices. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Erikanh~Is your hood installed? Unwrapped?

• Gooster
    9 years ago

Just to add to the post on cleaning -- it really is just a pop up and removal. Super easy and dishwasher safe.

• iroll_gw
    9 years ago

Ours is a 1,200 cfm, it's really overkill for our cooktop, which is plain radiant electric, not induction. There weren't many induction choices at the time, and I couldn't talk DH into experimenting with it, anyway.
    I just wanted real venting; before, we had a light with a fan recirculator.

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Plllog, you are an angel! I can't tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to take these pics and post them for me! Thanks, also, for warning me about the top venting/rear venting issue you had. I definitely need rear venting and I'll be sure to let them know that when I order.

Do you have to clean the blower motors, too? I've never had such a nice hood - our current vent is a pop-up downdraft and the mesh filters slid down years ago, never to be fished out again - so this is all new to me and I want to make sure I do it right.

The appliance rep told me that it's recommended to clean the squirrel cages on the VAH about once a year. Is it like that and if so, how hard is it to clean them?

btw, I have made the decision to buy a Modern Aire hood. :-) My KD and I selected the finish today. The hood is the same model Gooster purchased. Ours will have a SS bottom band and the top will be powder coated in Speckled Pewter. I'm so excited! One more decision down.

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oops, meant to also thank you, Gooster and Iroll!

Iroll, I know exactly what you mean. Our first house had a very basic, el-cheapo hood vent that was probably all of $100 back then. We have a pop-up downdraft in this house. I thought it was so cool at first and then I realized how poorly it worked. Ah, well, lesson learned. I'm looking forward to a vent that does what it's supposed to do.

• plllog
    9 years ago

You're very welcome.

I don't think you'll have the same problem, and it helps that you're not going through a store. They knew it was supposed to be a rear duct--it was in the paperwork that they sent to me for the GC--in picture form. Other people's experiences with the company have been far far superior to mine.

A good part of the point of baffle filters is that the heavy stuff, like grease, doesn't get to the blower to gum it up. This is especially true if you clean them regularly. :) Look at the area around the blowers. There might be a little dust, but no grease. The blackish spots on the brass are oxidation, not particulates. :)

Congrats on your decision.

• Melissa Penn
    2 years ago

You will not regret getting your custom moderne aire! Ours is an absolute showpiece and the technology is second to none. The baffle filters pop out super easy and have rounded edges. You are supposed to wash with soap and water in the sink before you put them in the dishwasher...I am embarrassed to say I have not washed mine in 5 years since our install ... and found this when I was researching how to do it. Very embarrassed that it is as easy as everyone says it is. The inside is impeccably clean which means the baffle filters really work. There is nothing like a moderne aire ...have fun designing it!

• Shannon_WI
    2 years ago

@Melissa Penn - the OP posted 7 years ago. Your photos are very nice.

• CC
    last month

Melissa Penn - what color is that hood? I love the base color and would like to know for my own MA hood order!

Sponsored
Kohlmark Flach Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Kohlmark Flach Architects: Enriching Lives Through Purposeful Design