Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katieob_gw

Erikanh~Is your hood installed? Unwrapped?

katieob
15 years ago

Hi Erika!

Hope things are going great.

I'm officially a hood stalker, I know. It's what I've been reduced to. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how many bands I should have or if I should get rivets.

Help! :)

Thanks,

Katie

Comments (63)

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Erika, That is what I call GORGEOUS ZING! What an amazing backsplash!

• PRO
    puertasdesign
    15 years ago

Will the switch plate covers be stainless steel or white? Or?

I think you need to hire one of those faux painters to come in and match the grain of the marble! :-)

• cheri127
    15 years ago

Erika, that is truly amazing!!!!! I don't usually like marble backsplashes, but yours in a stunner and works perfectly with the shelves and stainless counters.

• katieob
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Erika~

Wow! It looks fabulous! I've never seen or heard of the Manhattan marble. What a perfect match with the stainless & cooktop....well done!!

Can't wait to see PS26!

• lesmis
    15 years ago

Well you definitely didn't disappoint!!! Are you sure you are in NH, because that looks like an expensive London or Paris kitchen to me!! Maybe owned by an executive chef at a world renowned Michelin restaurant? Gorgeous really isn't a word grand enough!

Thanks for sharing more pics...now we can eagerly anticipate seeing more!

Kat :)

• positano
    15 years ago

That is so gorgeous, you have one of my favorite kitchens. Can't wait to see more!!

• willowdecor
    15 years ago

OH MY GOD!!! Absolutely fabulous!! I just cant wait to see the finished room - I love all your details and how you polished the back marble to give it more bling!! Really it is so wonderful!!
    xxx-willow

• erikanh
    14 years ago

Thanks to everyone for your sweet comments!

rob, I would love to faux finish the outlet covers if I only knew someone who could do it! I tried to get my electrician to put in only 2 outlets but he insisted that code required 4. I'm leaning toward using white porcelain covers, thinking they might blend in better.

• erikanh
    14 years ago

Good morning, Katie! I hope you see this. We unwrapped the hood:

My carpenter had to go buy some mounting screws, but I'll take more photos in a little while after it's up on the wall.

Erika

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

Why do I have a feeling that your kitchen may turn out to be my very favorite one here, Erika? :)

Just gorgeous!

• erikanh
    14 years ago

writersblock, you're too kind. =)

Ok, it's finally up! The hood is much quieter than I expected. The lights are nice and bright.

Katie, I hope these photos help you. Now go order your hood, girl!!

P.S. Do you have walls now?? And I meant to ask you, are you getting the new dish drawers, the one with the taller drawer on top?

• alice462
    14 years ago

Stunning, fantastic, unique, -- anything I can think of seems inadequate for such a work of art.....absolutely breathtaking and it screams "use me", "cook here"....I love it!

• timber.j
    14 years ago

Wow!

• cotehele
    14 years ago

Erika,

Oh Wow, it is a Gorgeous work of art! Thanks for the detail pics. I am about to order the same thing, and it is so reassuring to see how beautiful your hood is, so elegant and functional. I have to thank you for the pics and detail you have posted on your kitchen. Ours had to be moved and redesigned due to budget considerations. I hope you don't mind that I have used your cooking wall and clean up wall to adjust our design and figure out the cabinet and windows dimensions. I am hoping to refinish the Napanee Kitchenet baking cab in blue-gray inspired by your hutch, too. Not that your kitchen is in any way budget! It is inspiring :)

Judy

• katieob
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello!

Woooo Hooooooooo!
    It's like Christmas morning!!!!!

It looks AMAZING, AMAZING, AMAZING, Erika! You must be thrilled.
    Are you loving how it's coming together? Do you come down in the morning and sip your coffee and giggle? I would!

That hood is totally worth the wait. Totally. Now excuse me while I go call Patrick at Modern Aire and say "Hi, I'd like to order Erikanh's hood please." Then, I need to go post under "What have you borrowed from other GW'rs"!

Seriously, thanks for the info & the pictures. So gracious & incredibly helpful to me.

Oh, and yes we went with the newer "tall" dish drawers so the top one can handle 13 inch plates. And, the walls will be all finished this afternoon. Plugging away....

PS- That blue & white rug isn't by any chance from Aspen Design?

Thx again,
    Katie

• erikanh
    14 years ago

Judy, I was closely following your "back to the drawing board" thread and admiring your your new design and renderings. I'm very happy if my photos have helped you in any way, and I'm absolutely thrilled if you found anything in my design that helped you with your redesign!

I'm so excited to see your project in progress. Please let me know if there's anything that I can help with.

Erika

• erikanh
    14 years ago

Oops, Katie, we cross-posted! Yayyy!! I'm so happy the photos helped! Yup, I look at my kitchen and sigh with happiness every time I look at it. Best of all, my daughter and I have been having such a great time cooking every day. It was such a welcome change after a month of eating take-out!

The rug is from Layla Grace. I was inspired by the rug in Something's Gotta Give. =)

alice462, your comments put a huge smile on my face. That is totally what I was hoping for ... that my kitchen would scream, "Cook here!"

Erika

• cotehele
    14 years ago

Erika, Thanks for your kind words. I appreciate your help very much. I am figuring out the cabinets above our hood. The ceiling in our kitchen will be close to 10'. (just a little lower for the lights are in the ceiling) One question: how high is your bs? Looking for how high the hood installed above the counter.
    Thanks!!

• katieob
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Erika~

I too can't wait to have space to have the kiddos in the kitchen (helping cook will have to wait a few years)..

Funny-the reason I asked about the rug is a while back, I stumbled upon "Aspen Rug Company" while searching for a rug similar to SGG. They started doing replicas b/c everyone loved the SGG one & yours looks like the ones on their site. I was thinking of one for under the table in the eat in kitchen area ...
    I got my daughter's Serena & Lily bedding from Layla Grace-so cute.

Thanks again & keep enjoying that kitchen!
    Katie

• erikanh
    14 years ago

Judy, the backsplash is 30" high. My ceilings are only 7'6" high. The hood is the 18" high model. I think ModernAire recommended 30 to 33 inches high for mounting. I'm only 5'4" so the height is perfect for me.

Katie, I remember that company now. Their rugs are a lot more expensive. Their 8x10 SGG reproduction is $540. I paid $344 for the 8x10 from Layla Grace and shipping was free and fast. It's not the exact same pattern, but close enough for me! I bought a thick rug pad from overstock.com so it wouldn't slip around on the hardwood floor.

• hisgal2
    14 years ago

The hood is just gorgeous!

• Fori
    14 years ago

There's a hood in there? I didn't notice. Too busy admiring stuff.

• willowdecor
    14 years ago

Erika- OMG!!! Your kitchen is stunning - it makes me want to go back and do mine again!! I love the hood - I want the hood!! You have wonderful taste!! Really a fabulous transformation - can you email me direct I have some other questions - gamilne@msn.com
    xx-Willow

• twogirlsbigtrouble
    14 years ago

Modern Aire needs to advertise with your kitchen photos! Insane....just beautiful. You have made AWESOME decisions. You must be so pleased. Can I just rip out my kitchen and copy yours instead? Must....stop.....gawking.....

• farmhousebound
    14 years ago

That is one beautiful kitchen! I love how it all came together and all of the finishes compliment each other. Don't you just love your MA hood? Until I got mine I didn't really know what a joy and difference having a good hood could make.

• lesmis
    14 years ago

Love the hood and I love your Dash and Albert Rug...mine are on order!

Kat :)

• camargo
    14 years ago

Looks very sharp! One question, does it vent out the back through that wall?

• marthavila
    14 years ago

From one PS 26 owner to another: I think that there hood is one mean slam dunk! :-) Meanwhile, every bit of your kitchen is looking more and more fantastic with each glimpse of it. Looking forward to seeing the whole as I'm sure it's going to be a GW masterpiece!

• pluckymama
    14 years ago

WOW, the perfect icing on the incredible cake! You have outdone yourself!

• erikanh
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for your very kind words. I never would have even known about ModernAire if I hadn't found GardenWeb.

carmargo, yes, it vents out the back and there's an 8-inch duct that goes straight out the wall to the side of the house. This same hood can also be made to vent out the top.

• mamadadapaige
    14 years ago

hi Erika,
    pluckymama emailed me about these pics... OMG! I am swooning. Just GORGEOUS. I can't begin to tell you how much I love your kitchen. You have done an incredible job.

I haven't been on here since March! went on vacation with the family which cured me of my 15 times/day GW habit (maybe similar to quitting smoking??). I was spending way too much time on here and neglecting my housework, homework, and on, hopefully only a rare occassion, the kids. Have been thinking of you though and wondering how your kitchen was coming along... so glad plucky tipped me off to the pics. can't wait to see more.
    Karen

• lyno
    14 years ago

Oh my gosh! I almost missed this! Erika your hood is so gorgeous and your kitchen is absolutely inspirational and sensational!

• elizpiz
    14 years ago

Lynn, me too - almost missed this stunning kitchen! OMG. Now, that is a killer white kitchen. Everything about it is just fantastic. I LOVE IT!

Congratulations Erika!

Eliz

• erikanh
    14 years ago

Karen, you probably won't be around to see my response but just in case you are, I wanted to say hi and thanks so much for your kind words. I'm sure you know I would never have even known about Crown Point cabinets if I hadn't seen your beautiful kitchen. And I found Modern Aire when I was looking for something similar to your hood! You also helped me figure out how to install our windows down to the counter and bump them out like yours. As you can see, your kitchen was my inspiration in many ways!

I can totally understand needing to take a break from being online. I've also been trying to limit my GW time because it definitely can be addicting! How are your design courses going?

Eliz and Lyno, thanks so much for your sweet comments.

Erika

• tigger
    14 years ago

Erika - I'm drooling over both the marble AND the hood!!!! I think that's my favorite marble out of all I've seen - I haven't found anything like it in our area.

I just posted in another thread that if my kitchen is ever truly finished, I have to stop looking at the GW kitchen forum because I'll be so jealous of all the other kitchens! :) Every time I see something I like I think how I wish it wasn't too late to incorporate it into MY kitchen!

• mamadadapaige
    14 years ago

Erika,
    you are so kind.. but honestly, your kitchen is as gorgeous as it is because of the time and thought you put into it. your process was remarkable. I always enjoyed reading your posts to see what was next on the list of items to be tackled. Are your family and friends ga-ga over the kitchen? you deserve major kudos!!

the design classes are going well. I taking Business for Interior Decorators (excellent teacher am getting so so much out of it) as well as Mechanical and Lighting (very technical, not as much design, sort of dry but very important - there is so much more to lighting than I could have ever imagined and there is a lot of math to determine the amount of light needed for a space... let's just say that I have to have a calculator with a square root button on it).

Anyway, hopefully I will see the finale debut of your kitchen one of these days. if I am not on here, hopefully plucky will email me.
    k

• karena_2009
    14 years ago

Wow Erika! Your kitchen has come together beautifully. You must be so pleased! It looks gorgeous, I love the mixture of stainless steel, the blue wall paint and the gorgeous Carrera marble.

Congratulations!

• tetrazzini
    14 years ago

Erika, what I see of your kitchen is gorgeous. I haven't been on GW for months b/c I'm trying to keep working on my own kitchen. (I'm way slower than you!) But I see I've missed a lot. What a hood! What marble!

What color blue paint did you use? I'm thinking of painting one wall of cabinets that color, but I haven't found a chip I like yet.

• lizg_inmd
    14 years ago

Erika, that is just gorgeous! What finish of Stainless steel is that on the countertop? and can you tell me how it was fabricated? laminated over plywood, MDF, or ??? I am in the midst of working on that and would love input.

Congratulations on your beautiful kitchen!!

• erikanh
    14 years ago

egg, it's a color chip I saw at Walmart called Scandinavian Sky and then had color matched with Benjamin Moore paint. I'll try to find the paint can and get the formula for you.

liz, the countertop is 14 gauge laminated over MDF and it's a brushed finish, not sure what number. It's very quiet. It does have some scratches but I expect them to all merge together eventually. It's truly one of my favorite features of the new kitchen.

• homey_bird
    14 years ago

Ooooh....As I went down this page, I felt like I was touring some art show as the pix opened in front of me!

What can I say? Marble has this ability to take your breath away! Granite is splashy and can be bold but marble is always so subtle!

Anyways -- fantastic job and cannot wait to see the complete kitchen. Make sure you take pix of every inch.

• katieob
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My hood is ordered!

So funny-I've been dealing with Patrick from Modern Aire via email but Theresa from MA called to do the payment info. She said to me "I saw a sketch of your hood and I think it's awesome. In fact, I just got a picture of a very similar hood installed and it looks amazing."

Guess who she was talking about?!!!!

Thanks again, Erika, and others who posted about MA hoods. I never would have known about them without this forum.

Katie

• elizpiz
    14 years ago

Erika, when are you posting pix of your finished kitchen?? Just caught a glimpse of your amazing island and windows on the thread about the island light fixtures. Can't wait to see the whole thing -- it looks soooo beautiful!

Eliz

• erikanh
    14 years ago

Eliz, you're so sweet! Can you believe I'm still waiting for one more light fixture from Rejuvenation Hardware? Also waiting for 2 more counter stools from Overstock and for the painter to come back to do some touch-ups. Then we'll be done in the kitchen! (Dining room and family room still in progress but I'm taking my time.)

Have a great weekend!

Erika

• buffalotina
    14 years ago

Erika - Your kitchen is fast becoming my inspiration kitchen. I am not sure I can really manage to do the CP cabinets (Frameless) yet, I might be going Brookhaven or Woodmode. But, I really want your fabulous hood! It is gorgeous. I got a quote from MA for that hood in white with two stainless bands at the ends but now I am thinking I want it in stainless like you have.I have a few questions if you don't mind:

1. I need only 36" wide. Do you think it would look good with three bands and without the rivets? I think it might be too plain if I don't do the polished lip as you have. Is that polished chrome or stainless on the lip?

2. My 4 burner range calls for only 600 CFM. What size blower did you get, and the million dollar question, how quiet is it?

3. Do you know if it was significantly more to add the pot rails on the ends. Also, how do you like those?

Thanks so much!

Tina

• kpaquette
    14 years ago

Erika your kitchen is absolutely stunning. Amazing. one of my favorites ever! I've always coveted those hoods - I'm going to show DH when he wakes up, maybe we'll put one on our wish list for down the road. ;-) AND seeing your pics has reaffirmed my belief that we must paint our cabinets white.

I also love your rug (ours is a vacation home in Newport and I have links saved to the set design for Something's Gotta Give LOL) and would love one for my dining room - but I was worried about it getting dirty and having it cleaned - though we'll probably eat in our dining room 5x a season (only when we're not going out it's raining LOL.) Have you used it enough to have issues with dirt?

• erikanh
    14 years ago

Tina, did you read viva99's thread where she discusses doing 3 or 4 bands on her MA hood? I'm linking below. I really think either 3 or 4 would look fine. I also don't think you would miss the rivets at all if you decide not to get them. There are photos of MA hoods without rivets in that same thread. I believe the front lip on my hood is called polished stainless steel. It's very shiny. The bands are the same material. I love the pot rails, and I believe they were an extra $100 or so. I'll look for the paperwork and let you know if it was much more. They're purely decorative, I don't hang anything on them.

I have the 1200 cfm internal blower. The vast majority of the time I use it on the lowest setting and it does a fantastic job of sucking everything straight up. On that lowest setting, I don't find it loud. On the highest setting, which I've only had to use once when my DD burnt something, is much louder as would be expected. I have a very short duct run straight out the wall to the outside.

kpaquette, the SGG movie was my inspiration for that rug. =) We don't wear shoes in the house which probably helps keep that rug in the family room clean. I haven't had it long enough to say how it will hold up in the long run. I did have to spot clean it once so far when we had some little visitors who tracked in mud. I used a foam rug cleaner which got the spots right out. I was thinking about Scotch Guarding it but couldn't find the Scotch Guard for rugs at my WalMart.

Here is a link that might be useful: Range hood aesthetics

• morton5
    14 years ago

Wow Erikanh, can you believe you were ever considering getting this hood in black? It's a good thing that so many GWers pointed you in the direction of stainless-- it's really beautiful. That's some cooking set-up you have there and an impressive piece of marble. I'm looking forward to seeing the whole thing.

• erikanh
    14 years ago

morton5, were you one of the wise ones who steered me away from the black? Thanks for your kind comments and also for coming to my defense in that other thread ... sweet of you.

• morton5
    14 years ago

You are welcome... I have to confess I voted early for black, and am really glad I was drowned out in a chorus of stainless.